Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

My New Girlfriend is an Alcoholic! What should I do?
I have just found out that my new girlfriend of only 5 months is an alcoholic. I had know idea until this weekend when I found her totally drunk, dilerious and injured. It scared me like nothing in ...

I feat that i am going to hell?
and there isnt anything i can do about it. ifeel that lots of stuff that goes on around me is making my afterlife that much more horrible. is there a name for this kind of thinking? what can be ...

Is this normal?
My wife talks to my stomach! Several times throughout the day, she comes up to me, lifs up my shirt, bends down and says "Hi! You're so cute! I miss you!" But she calls ME crazy!<...

If I were to smoke Marijuana tonite, would I be ok to take a test on Tuesday?
I have a college placement test to take on Tuesday and I was wondering if smoking tonight could affect me at all.
Additional Details
I ...

How come people kill cats for the fun of it?
I knew someone who killed 5 cats, JUST FOR FUN!
I know he was getting pretty physcotic, but i didn't think he would go to the extent of killing cats.....

Is this an early sign of ...

Is it okay for a teen to feel depressed?
I have a lot going on including my first heart break, multi sports, and the pressure of schoolwork. Can someone help me out and make me feel better?
Additional Details

My boyfriend thinks im pregnant, i know im not. should i tell him the truth?

I want to cut myself NOW, what to do so I don't?
It sounds sick, but now, right this second, I want to hurt myself. Is there anything I can do instead? I feel really anxious, restless, and confused, and I've been having sudden feelings of ...

Do i have a problem or am i just weird?
Im 15 years old and im sophmore in high school, but im severly socially deprived. I've always been shy, quiet, good kid and never liked to stand out or participate in things since elementary ...

Please do not judge me…?
I hate myself. I have been unemployed for a year and one day and I feel so ashamed. I’m not exactly qualified for any of the jobs I really want because of my lack of formal education. The only ...

I'm feeling really depressed. Can anyone help me?
I should be feeling really happy today, and Iwas (for like, twenty minutes). I won first prize in a music competition, and I thought everyone was really proud and happy for me. THan, my daad started ...

Normal for mom to call her kid this?
She calls me a b*stard and screams at me. Says im stupid and things like that because i dont want to live with her anymore. She tells me i cant live or support myself on my own and threatens me if i ...

Why do we have dreams? Why are they so often crazy?
by crazy, I mean disjointed etc.. -...

Has anyone heard of cutting? My sister who is 22 does it and she shows it off like it's a badge of honor..
I don't understand the need to cut.. Can anyone help me out in understanding why someone would cut themself? She says she has been doing it for years. She will cut herself so deep that she has ...

What is the best lesson u learned from life?
what makes u feel happy in life ?...

Im soooo deppressed!!! i cut myself and dont know wat to do!!!?
im seriously depressed im on the larger side of things and im 13 !!!! people make fun of me! plz help b 4 i do sumtin i regret!...

What does it mean about my personality, when writing i write in cursive and print in the same sentence or even

If you cut yourself does that mean you have a mental illness?
Okay well I do cut myself, and people are always talking about like all these "mental illnesses" you most liikely have if you cut? Cant you just do it with out having to be "messed up&...

Why do some people kill others before comitting suicide?
like well it's really sad if they wanna kill themselves, not saying that they should but even if they decide to commit suicide they should just suicide themselves, not kill others, especially ...

Have you ever been depressed?

BeckyBlue
Your opinions on suicide?
Have you ever tried to commit suicide?

Was it a real and failed attempt or a cry for help? And do you get p****d off with people who say it's selfish? (For those who dont know it is soooooooo much more complicated than that!-and yes I have been on the receiving end of it too). And those who accuse of attention seeking if it wasn't?

And before anyone starts flapping and advising me to not try it, don't worry I'm asking with a clear head! Just curious. And I'm not sick either, I'm very educated in many ways about this....................
Additional Details
Remember it's a mental illness.... No one would choose to get that low.........

ayflau
Rating
it is selfish ... & that is my opinion.
that is how i see it. if you are so low that you are thinking it, then the only place to go from there is up. you are @ your lowest point. seeking help is the best option, not taking your life.
i don't know anyone who hasn't thought of it, including me - but that is not an option for me ... getting help & talking about what is bothering you, making you sad ... that is what will help.

BGO
It's the most extreme form of self-criticism.

I've never tried but someone close to me has on a few occasions, thankfully unsuccessfully.

no one
Suicide is a choice, in the end it may well be the only one you ever have to make on your own. When the time comes i will, i haven't tried yet cuz as i see it you have one shot so it should be as damn near perfect as possible. hopefully i will be able to wait till no one else has to face the blame without slaughtering the others. so yeh i get p****d of with them who think its selfish. its so much more selfish to want them back.
"blessed are those with the final certainty"
(sorry this is my opinion etc [a disclaimer for lack of revulsion of a "taboo" as kid up the list said])

T C
Rating
It must be a very lonely place to be...

Amirra
Rating
It's selfish. And yes, I was also on the recieving end of it - until I smartened up and realized that life really wasn't that bad.

busty bertha
i have never thought about it even though there have been time's when i have been so low but i do love living and life it's far to short in my eyes to end it i feel sorry that people have to kill them selfs as a way out i don't know how they must feel but i feel for the people who have to pick up the pieces they have left behind and poor kids being bullied at school that they have no one to chat to that they end there life it's such a waste and really the bullies have won.i would kill myself if i was in pain and i have said to my fiancee if there is ever a time that i am with you in body but not in mind you must let me die,as i would not want to live my life in pain.

wordwarrior
This was absolutely one of the most helpful discussions I have seen on this subject on Y/A I will not give my opinion on the subject as I don't feel I can be objective at this time but I did recieve food for thought most people where nonjudgemental yet you could feel the conviction in their words.
There are people lurking in the shadows searching for answers, they may not always find the answers they WANT but discussions like this could lead them to the answers they NEED

alexandra robertson
Rating
people who try to commit suicide have reached a stage in life that they see no light at the end of the tunnel, and the only option left to them is to take their own life. Many people prior to this happening will take overdoses, or cut themselves as a cry for help, and this should be taken seriously, as it is obvious the person has mental related problems. Usually when a person is intent to take their own life, they will do it somewhere quietly, where nobody will find them, and they will usually succeed in their suicide. There is also assisted suicide like euthanasia, which is done by the help of medical staff. I agree with euthanasia if there is nothing else can be possibly done for the patient. One would not let an animal suffer with pain, why should we let a human suffer who has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. Although I have not attempted suicide myself, I have witness the grief of a family when their son committed suicide. I can only imagine what these people must go through for them to commit suicide

YA is a sham
Two things are for sure about suicide:

If successfully accomplished, it takes away all the opportunity to improve the situation which led up to it and steals away all chance of future happiness

and

Althought the suicidist may find relief from their anguish, it is only the beginning of the pain they are inflicting upon those who care about them. There is no painless suicide, it is just a matter of who suffers.

Ally S
Rating
its an easy option when we are so far down in the pits of hell seams like the only way out but it is not as death wot lies there could be more pain misery yes have tried suicide a few times quite a few scares .hate it but couldt stop it no i didt do it for attention as there was no one around to c me .i did pass away but they saved me in the ambulance but no it is not a answer not worth the exrta painn to u mind and are close ones peace to u

CHRISTINE O
In the first part, yes, I have - and I didn't sit and think about it first; I guess something just snapped, and I woke up in hospital with my Dad there and the staff not knowing what to do first; pump my stomach or stitch my wrists up! As for it being "selfish", let some of the people who think that, find themselves in a position whereby they think it is the only way out! For whatever reason - personal, debt, illness! What is euthenasia then, if it isn't "suicide"?

Quite recently, the mother of one of my daughter's friends took her own life - under a train! I do think that even if one is that desperate, that ending it all seems the only way out, then I do think that taking that option is a little bit selfish - what about the train driver? Something like that could send him over the edge!

As in any "death", no matter how it occurred, there will always be friends, relatives etc., left behind; maybe they will feel guilt or remorse that there was nothing they could do. I would personally take my own life than be a burden on someone due to the fact that I was in a vegetative state.

Suicide, euthenasia, etc., are always going to be very widely discussed, as in pro/anti abortion. Whatever your views, you just sometimes have to agree to disagree - it's a personal thing.

As for a cry for help - sometimes I do think it can be; but; where do you draw that very fine line? Hopefully though, if at any time, someone does attempt to "consider" taking their own life, but takes it so near to the edge that it could be touch and go as to whether they succeed or not, then hopefully, instead of being ridiculed or called selfish, they can get the professional help that it is so obviously clear that they need!

pigeondogmmonkey
My opinions on suicide are jumbled.

On the one hand I understand that the mind is so complex and very influential by outside things. It is very easy for the most confident person to go through some experiences and come out the other side a total mess. I understand that people who feel suicidal need to talk to somebody that they trust. I certainly don't think the person wanting to commit suicide even slightly realises how much absolute pain and torture they will cause to at least 100 people connected to them.

On the other hand..
People left behind after suicide must live for the rest of their lives, with feelings of guilt, with hundreds of questions which will never be answered.
Some may even become suicidal at the loss of their loved one. That is a huge burden to put on so many people.

I know that most people who have felt suicidal are in a totally different frame of mind to people who feel mentally healthy.

For example someone who does a lot of exercise and is very fit has a different mindset and outlook than someone who does not.

Now I don't know if you are asking this because you feel like this or someone you know. Suicide DOES NOT only affect uneducated people. EDUCATION has nothing to do with suicide. It is not just poor illiterate, unemployed people who choose to take their own life. It can happen to ANYONE.

Suicidal people often think they have no other way out and they may feel they are trying to escape their own thoughts and minds. But this is something you can never do . The best thing you can do for yourself is be kind to yourself. Don't put yourself down, don't tell yourself you cannot do anything.

And another thing, a lot of people who say stupid unhelpful things to this answer are not actually aware of the impact of this act.
Also alot of people will say, "Go talk to a doctor" or take anti-depressants.
People are used like guinea pigs for anti-depressants, doctors do not fully know what they do. They block what the real cause of your pain is temporarily.

I think if you feel suicidal just take one day at a time. Your mind is in a VERY fragile way and you must not challenge yourself too hard.
But I will say something as small as getting a new dog which you can bring on walks and taking responsibility for your dog, you will earn love and give it too.
There are millions of people in the world feeling suicidal. I wish I could help you all. I hope you all live x

Duirmuid
Rating
You either do or u dont.
Nobody else's business.

pullthetrigger
i believe that people should have the choice to end their own life. i don't believe it's selfish, i believe it's selfish of others to expect you to carry on living if you are suffering so much that you are actually wanting to kill yourself. and those that say it's the cowardly or easy way out, it bloody well isn't! they p*ss me off. it takes a hell of a lot of guts to kill yourself! and it sure as hell is not easy - i haven't attempted yet, as i want to make sure that i will die, but i have not yet found a sure way that i will die, and i have thought about and researched it in great depth. so it is not easy to actually kill yourself. and there is also a lot of pain involved in most of the methods - hell, people who have drunk bleach have thrown themselves through glass in agony - and people think it's easy and cowardly?

i think that people who want to commit suicide need to get professional help (and yes, i am) so that they can try and get their lives back on line. if it fails and you still kill yourself, well, at least you tried. it's still your decision in the end.

Azalea
Rating
I think it is a selfish thing to do, because people who have commited suicide have left people behind to wonder what was so terrible in this person's life to make them want to do that. These people might start blaming themselves for their loved one's suicide.

Lovely Rita Meter Maid
Rating
No ive never tried...or felt like trying.
its a personal choice people have reasons i guess?

Outspoken but Honest
Its something that very common and not for silly answers as it affects everyone close to them

kitty
Rating
It is NOT selfish.
It is a last resort.

mamarat
Rating
I've never attempted, nor wanted to, but my grandmother did and it has affected our entire family. My mother has never been the same.

In her case it was definitely not an attention thing. But yes, I believe it was selfish.

ordiofile
I have never wanted to, just to make that clear. I believe that anyone who gets to that stage is not in control of their emotions, and they are unable to consider the effect the act might have on anyone else. I have great pity for people who get there.

fish out of water
looking back i think my o/d was a cry for help, kill or cure if you like!

and yes it was selfish, but i was very very ill.

I have scars from self harm which are 10 years old, and people still look at me like i'm a attention seeking loon.

carpediemmaster
It's a permanent solution, to a temporary problem.

vinny
Rating
i have thought about committing suicide but thank god i didn't cause i love my life now. if i would have then i wouldn't have met my guy. n i would 've miss seeing my sister grow up. it was just a thought. i felt like i was going through a very deep depression. it lasted for about 5 or 6 years.

Dering
Rating
I've never tried. It's too permanent.

Here to help
Rating
I almost lost my life once. I know everyone has their own opinion, and that's fine. When I was in a suicidal state, I was not in a right state of mind. Reality was gone. Your in that moment,
and your not thinking about anything else, but
trying to relieve your mental anguish. No we are not selfish nor stupid. And yes, I believe in God. I also believe in a "forgiving God."

The Joker.
My uncle commited suicide. There are no words to describe how much that hurt my family, no words at all. But he had battled with mental illness for such a long time, so I can't be angry at him because I know he had to find his peace. We couldn't help him, nobody could so he chose to do what he did. I wish he hadn't but I have to respect his choice. Mental illness is not always just the occasional spot of the blues or mild depression. Sometimes it's a lifelong battle that wages war on your soul. Mental pain is equal to physical pain.
We should not judge those who attempt or commit suicide so harshly.

Marty
I have seen all three sides of this question I have had one former friend and not because they tried committing suicide but because they really needed help cried out by cutting his arm open with a fishing knife the other friend would pretend she was going to kill herself or talk about it alot for attention which wasn't a good thing and she should have never done but I had to take it seriously because you never know when someone actually might do it. I also felt suicidal in the past but I know that it's a permanent decision to temporary problems.

Mia
Its tradgic, and a shame that a lot of people that are suicidal do ask for help, but are sent home repeatedly! I think many people that say its selfish, don't fully understand and have never been there, haven't gone home begging to die. When you are suicidal all you can think about is to get rid of the pain, you are not capable to think beyond that.

I was suicidal once, 4 weeks after my lovely took me off my antidepressants cold turkey without support (it was for a medical reason in his defense but I was told to only bother coming back if the rash hadn't gone). My theory was if I could just get to sleep I'd be ok, and the sadness won't be as bad, so I overdosed. I didn't do this to kill myself though I didn't care if I'd accidentally died as a result, I did it to get rid of the suicidal thoughts, and it worked.

abcd
I did try and it was a cry for help, but I didn't get any help. I ultimately helped myself out of it without depending on family/friends but with a good therapist and good doctor. family/friends are all selfish. people who say suicide is selfish don't know what they are talking about. Why is it selfish? 'Because we are hurting our family by killing ourselves'- honey, we are killing ourselves because the family doesn't care any more whether we are hurt or not! So where does the selfishness come in???? And I don't want to hear any more nonsense about religious objections to suicide.And the people who accuse potential suicides of attention seeking are a bunch of rotten 'I'm-so-good-and-happy-and-satisfied' self-righteous self-proclaimed angels. Unless you have been there you don't know what it is like.

Victoria L
Rating
Sometimes it can be for attention but most of the times people who are so miserable and feel they cannot stand to be alive for another day, feel like they have no options but to kill themselves.
It might be seen as selfish, but then again these people who commit suicide are normally in terrible situations, and alot of the time not in the right frame of mind.
A few of my friends have killed themselves, and to me they were the happiest, most beautiful people i have ever met, but were going through some truly horrible things.

So dont judge unless you've been through it or know someone who has. These people dont know what else to do.

Peace

D S
Rating
I never tried it but I am certainly considering it. I don't know if it's a cop out or not. I just know I hate the pain that I am feeling and have been feeling for a long, long time. I don't want to hurt anyone by doing this but I can't stand the way I am feeling. I just want it to go away. No one has the right to judge someone for the way they think or feel. You have no idea what is going on inside the head of a suicidal person. Most attempts are not a sign of wanting attention. I know I DON'T want attention...I just want to feel peace. I don't want to hurt anymore.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.204
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy