Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Would it destroy you and send you under if you lost all your material posessions? or would you survive it?
i think it would totally destroy me....my soul would be crushed and my house of cards would come falling down....i dont own many material posessions, hardly any cept a computer, but if i lost that, i ...

How do people get bipolar?
Was they born with it or something, I been hearing people getting it when they where a kid or something. How do people get bipolar disorder....

Im negative?
Im negative about myself is that a bad thing??
Additional Details
Everyone puts me down y not just do it to myself??...

How can i put myself to sleep without feeling tired?
i hate to take medicine to help me sleep. i have alot on my mind. i am a ...

How long does it take to get over death?
my grandfather died 8 days ago. he was 90 and had alzheimers so it wasn't unexpected. he was the first person i've ever known to die and i had a really hard time for the first few days and ...

Do you think Depression gives you a kick in the @rse to do more in life?

Can worry turn into Depression??
Can worrying turn into Depression? I some time worry a lot and some times way to much about things that i do not need to worry about .. can that turn into Depression?...

I found my boyfriends bottle of...................?
i found a bottle of Paxil in my boyfriends cabinet. What should i do? Should i confront him about it?...

Why live when we feel so much pain and suffering?

How do i avoid sleep?
i want to study but i feel very sleepy.as soon as i come from college i feel very ...

Depression?
i have depression, im doing all the right steps etc, the thing is i keep isolating myself, i dont wanna go out with my mates and just have a laugh, i cant find the motavation to do it? its upsetting ...

Can depression??
Two quick questions about depression!

1) Does being depressed make you more irritable towards others and your response when others approach you??

2) Depression - I know it can ...

Suicidal!!!?
I am feeling really suicidal tonight and I am seriously about to kill myself but I don't know why! Here's what's going on. I was in a psych hospital for 2 weeks and they really helped ...

I think I am going insane?
I used to have thoughts of suicide alot, but I dont really anymore. Now my attention is turned towards other people. I dont know what im thinking anymore.

Everytime im in school (im 16) I ...

This may sound stupid but....?
what is so wrong with wanting to die?
we never asked to be born into this world, so why are we always expected to enjoy it and want to live?...

I need help?
today im at an all time LOW! i posted on here the other day, i then went to a doctor who gave me some sleeping tablets coz i hadnt been depressed long enough even though its been 4 months! anyway my ...

Trying not to harm myself..[cut]?

i have a bad temptation to cut myself..
but i have been just scratching myself..
where i would cut.. is this bad?

i also snap.....

Are you LIVING or merely EXISTING?
I know I'm just existing right now, my life is meaningless, I have no purpose. What about you?
Additional Details
I'm 26 but had mental problems ever since I was 12. They'...

I am so depressed can anyone help?
I have suffered depression all my life and now at 32yrs I feel I jus can't cope anymore. I have no confidence left, continually anxious and so confused. I have never liked conflict and I let ...

Please help me, are there any things to help depression besides prescription drugs?
I have taken them twice in the past. Now, I have no health ins. and cannot do that again. I was considering buying St. Johns Wort, although for me in the past it never helped. Is there anything I ...

Weeza
When does a Pyschiatrist think you should be placed in a mental hospital?
If someone is told they have signs of psychosis, a mood effective disorder and obsessive compulsions then gets placed on antipsychotics, the person still goes out and drinks on a night out whilst on the drug, the person, (bearing in mind had read that it is a bad idea to stop taking medication) one day stops taking the antipsychotic and becomes quickly manic again and feels better for doing things like taking a lot of caffeine pills to get a buzz for example and just feels happier, then almost 'comes round to their senses' because notices severe mood changes again and decides to take the antipsychotics after all, the person doesnt feel very stable and wants to 'change' things a lot so does things like stops medication to change themselves etc. Is this the sort of time a Psychiatrist would think about sending the patient to a hospital for care or does that not happen anymore, if the person feels they need more support.Any info wud b helful...also do you HAVE to go to a hospital if told?
Additional Details
Also if there is also self harm and other danger to self.

hugemarkus
sounds like you are asking about yourself...

but yes he should

I-Got-You:)
I think that certain person is ....YOU.

SCOTT A
Quite often when the doc needs some money

Jody H
Rating
Bingo! The last part is the kicker. The legal definition of insanity-being a danger to yourself or others. No ethical counselor or therapist can ignore this, because in most states by LAW, they at least must report it. In most cases, an ethical counselor or therapist will not allow you to leave their office until they can arrive at what is called a contract for life, usually written or verbal. This contract is your promise not to harm yourself or anyone else. Do you HAVE to go? Not without legal intervention, which may be sought if you refuse to enter into a contract for life. Judgement is the key on the part of the therapist here. They must decide whether they believe your need for help or threat of harm to be genuine, and base the escalation of their reaction on that. Yes, the police can become involved and yes you could face jail time for unruly or disturbing conduct, or being a public menace. Overall, if the patient is rational, they will quickly see that their behavior is not worth the results it brings.

Linda B
Rating
schizophrenics are infamous for not taking their medication. If they were all placed in the hospital for this, there would be no room for those who are a danger to themselves or others. People who are close to those with this malady are not surprised when the victim stops taking their medicine. After driving themselves crazy trying to change this behavior, most simply learn to accept it. Even though there are newer medicines, ofter the older ones work so much better. The side-affects of taking these medication are ofter much harder to live with than the disease itself.

Blessed Be

nanna
Get a second opinion

Serena
The only time a psychiatrist can force a person to go into the hospital is if they are a danger to themselves or someone else. A doctor may feel that the person is being a danger to him/herself if they keep getting off the meds. I understand that most people who are diagnosed bi-polar tend to get off meds when they are manic. The doctor can force a person to go into the hospital if the danger is great for people around the individual. Even so, if the doctor has them admitted, they can't be held long without support from the family or the patient. I hope all works out. It's best to have therapy along with the meds. It might actually get through to the person just how important the meds are. Maybe video taping the person while they are acting manic would help them get the idea. Most things done while manic aren't remembered clearly afterward.

Dana A
I don't know where you live. In the United States, a person cannot be involuntarily committed to a hospital unless they are a present danger to themselves or others.

It sounds like this person does need to be stabilized in a hospital but if the person isn't suicidal or dangerous, and is still taking care of themselves, then I don't think they can be committed.

Good luck,

Dana

nita5267
Rating
If you are a danger to yourself or others.

Nolagirl83
The only real way for someone to put in a mental hospital is if they are a danger to themselves or to others, and even then it has to be pretty severe. I guess unless they have good insurance, if there is no insurance then they might be kept 72 hours then released.
Also if the person voluntarily admits themselves.

ecuwheels1982
a psychiatrist can place someone in a 72 hour involuntary hold, if they want to leave after that they can get a court order in many areas to hold them longer. depends on the jurisdiction.

apriljunemarch
your family or your doctor can petition for you to go to the hospital but unless the doctor feels your a threat to themselves or others it should be okay take meds they really do help i come from a family full of mental illness when their on their meds their much better people but when their off you know their off good luck

♥♥The Queen Has Spoken♥♥
The ONLY time a person can be forced into a mental hospital is when they are a danger to themselves or others.

Otherwise a patient is never committed against their wishes.

You should read CRAZY: A Father’s Search Through America’s Mental Health

You can order the book at www.peteearley.com and read the first chapter of the book.

ruby
Assessed danger to self or others is the only way to be committed unless there is a legal guardian to make that decision. Hospital treatment for med adjustment or detox is best when the patient agrees to treatment. If someone want to be admitted go to a doctor or emergency room for evaluation.

nurserenae
Rating
Well that would be a reason for the psychiatrist to send the person to the hospital also if they pose a threat to themselves and others.

emtd65
Rating
As far as whether or not you have to go if told - it depends where you live. Not all states are able to commit people and those which can all have different criteria. Many people are treated as out patients. Years ago you could be committed for things which were very minor in our world today. If someone is a danger to themselves and or others a doctor will explore further before committing them. Very shady area........

brittneyn127
Rating
Yes if that person if threatning to harm theirselves or someone else they need to be taken to the emergency room and they will deal with them. Like put them in a different hospital.

♥some♥wanna♥know♥
Rating
I was under the impression that you had to be in danger to yourself or others to be admitted.
Drinking & doing drugs would qualify as such.

doodad
Rating
That person may only benefit from competent care from people who have their best interest at heart.
And yes, that often requires Hospitalization.
However, it does not insure that the patient will become stable.
Sometimes their is irreparable damage that can only be assessed through time and a watchful eye.
When that cannot be done in a home environment, the care facility is a better go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_the_United_States
Read this.

Helper
Rating
The only time they will admit you into the hospital is when you are a threat to yourself or others. If the doctor feels you should be admitted they will ask you if you will sign yourself in the hospital, if you do then that’s good, if you don't want to sign yourself in, then most likely he will force you to go and you will stay longer in the hospital then you may need. But if he doesn't think you need to go then he will let you go home. However if you feel that you need to be admitted, even though your doctor doesn't think you need to, you can sign yourself in to get checked out and then they will tell you if they think you should stay longer or not. They will watch over you and talk to you about how you are feeling. Also when you sign yourself in you can sign yourself out after three days of being in the hospital. It is only there to help you and I know this because I have been in that situation before. Don't be scared to ask for help, it is only there to help you get better. Good luck!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, March 29, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy