Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

I found my boyfriends bottle of...................?
i found a bottle of Paxil in my boyfriends cabinet. What should i do? Should i confront him about it?...

Why live when we feel so much pain and suffering?

How do i avoid sleep?
i want to study but i feel very sleepy.as soon as i come from college i feel very ...

Depression?
i have depression, im doing all the right steps etc, the thing is i keep isolating myself, i dont wanna go out with my mates and just have a laugh, i cant find the motavation to do it? its upsetting ...

Can depression??
Two quick questions about depression!

1) Does being depressed make you more irritable towards others and your response when others approach you??

2) Depression - I know it can ...

Suicidal!!!?
I am feeling really suicidal tonight and I am seriously about to kill myself but I don't know why! Here's what's going on. I was in a psych hospital for 2 weeks and they really helped ...

I think I am going insane?
I used to have thoughts of suicide alot, but I dont really anymore. Now my attention is turned towards other people. I dont know what im thinking anymore.

Everytime im in school (im 16) I ...

This may sound stupid but....?
what is so wrong with wanting to die?
we never asked to be born into this world, so why are we always expected to enjoy it and want to live?...

I need help?
today im at an all time LOW! i posted on here the other day, i then went to a doctor who gave me some sleeping tablets coz i hadnt been depressed long enough even though its been 4 months! anyway my ...

Trying not to harm myself..[cut]?

i have a bad temptation to cut myself..
but i have been just scratching myself..
where i would cut.. is this bad?

i also snap.....

Are you LIVING or merely EXISTING?
I know I'm just existing right now, my life is meaningless, I have no purpose. What about you?
Additional Details
I'm 26 but had mental problems ever since I was 12. They'...

I am so depressed can anyone help?
I have suffered depression all my life and now at 32yrs I feel I jus can't cope anymore. I have no confidence left, continually anxious and so confused. I have never liked conflict and I let ...

Please help me, are there any things to help depression besides prescription drugs?
I have taken them twice in the past. Now, I have no health ins. and cannot do that again. I was considering buying St. Johns Wort, although for me in the past it never helped. Is there anything I ...

Self harm?
Okay so....for the past two months I've been self harming and today my friend had a massive go at me for doing it yesterday. I promised her that i wouldn't do it anymore. anyone got any ...

How to help a teenage son that has depression problems?????help me please?

If I tell an adult that I cut, will they REALLY do this to me?!?!??!?
I heard that if you cut and you tell, you will get sent to a mental hospital or special institue for treatment. I also heard that at one of the institutes they make you sleep in cells??? Is that true?...

Whats wrong with me?
ok firstly a little bit about me, im 15 live in the UK im 6 5" yep this is tall.

Ok to the chase, ive been feeling low like i have no future. Noticed major changes in me like not ...

Accidental Overdose?
Okay so I did it on purpose, but now I changed my mind.
I took 5-30 mg Remeron 3, 5-20 mg fluoxetine, 7-20mg celexa, 5-10mg flexeril, and 5 hydrocoodone/apap 10/650 about 12 minutes ago.
I ...

I feel sad, upset and depressed at all times?
what should i do?...

Why do people become depressed and commit suicide?
I think it's really sad and ridiculous....

woop woop
I like to self-harm. Is it so weird?

hajgora7
Rating
Sadly, it's a growing fad.

May reflect the tendency of overly rich societies to implode.

Veronica P
Yeah it is but you shoukd seek help.......before you really hurt youself

J_Riiiiight R
Rating
it;s dangerous.
seek help.

lucy02
I would say unhealthy rather than weird. You could really hurt yourself seriously plus it leaves scars.

addicted to piercings
i wouldn't call it weird, but a cry for help. the desire to self-harm yourself and actually doing it are symptomatic of an emotional problem that needs to be addressed.
you don't have to nor do you deserve to self-harm yourself. what the underlying cause is motivating you to act in this self-destructive pattern, the problem can be discussed, released from your being, and hopefully resolved.
you need to see a psychiatrist ASAP. please seek help immediately.

makingthisup
Why do you do it? Is it because you are angry with yourself? Or do you do it for cosmetic experimentation? A test maybe of degrees of pain?

It isn't so much weird, but you need to ask yourself if you are crying out for help, and if you are what do you need? You may just need a sympathetic ear or you might need medication to control uncontrollable mental anguish.

My daughter went through a period in high school where she made shallow cuts along her arm. When I asked her why she did it, she told me that she thought scares were beautiful and she was only doing as a means of personal expression. I doubted her only because she was prone to be moody and periods of depression. When I took her to a mental health professional she was eventually diagnosed as being bi-polar. She is taking meds now and has since then been doing better. However, she still has a tendency to be darker than most people. But she does admit that it easier for her to cope with the medication. So, basically, take an honest look at why you are doing it.

pebbles
Rating
it's a disorder of some kind and you should seek help.

Mike M.
It's NOT normal, I strongly urge you to seek counseling from a mental health professional.

bluesun
Rating
yeah call 1800 dont cut.

moe1626
No, its no so weird because more and more people do it everyday but it is harmful and inconsiderate to your body. Self- harm just shows insecurity and your lack of self-esteem. Personally i love myself way to much to do such a thing my advice is that you go and seek professional help or talk to someone that you can trust and that you know can and will help you.

broken_faery_wings13
Rating
I wouldn't call it wierd. I've been a self-harmer for over 10 years. I didn't know anyone else did it so I thought it was wierd too. I started out making superficial cuts on my arms at around age 13. These progressed to cuts so deep that I required surgery to repair tendons, veins, etc. It wasn't until I was hospitalized that I realized that it wasn't so wierd, other people did it too. Looking back on it now, I wish someone would have noticed before it was too late. I do think somewhere deep down it is a cry for help. Notice I didn't say you do it for attention but I do believe you need some sort of help. Visit www.recoveryourlife.com. Its self-harm, self-help communtiy.

Harmony
Rating
I agree. It is very dangerous and DOES LEAVE SCARS; but not weird or unusal. Unless it's some stange form like contiually picking scabs or picking zits way more than a NORMAL person would. Either way you real should look into getting help for whom ever is doing the " self harm" thing. And it IS becoming a clich`e.

LARGE MARGE
IT IS NOT "WEIRD", I is down right NOT normal. It is actually a psychological act when you are acting on inner emotional pain. The physical pain you endure, takes over the emotional pain you feel inside. My daughter had done that after a very emotional break up with her boyfriend. I read up on the subject, and came down to finding out that it could lead to a very serious mental problem. You need to first see a doctor who could refer you to the proper professional for counseling.

Michael C
I am assuming you are referring to self-destructive behaviors and impulses here. Masochistic behaviors are generally manifestations of depression, low self-esteem and even suicidal thoughts. Often this low regard for the self is pushing for an expression of some kind. These feelings of low self-worth are extremely compelling. For myself, it was suicidal thoughts and impulse that I couldn't allow myself to admit, and didn't want to act on. But the feelings were there and just unacceptable to me. I repressed them but they transgressed into masochistic urges. I was extremely low and suicidal but didn't want to accept those suicidal feelings. I was in pain and felt overwhelming urges. Professional help is definately called for here in order to work through the complexities of these feelings. A safe environment in which you can get out these feelings and talk about them is essential. By safe environment, I mean an open forum where you can discuss these feelings without the fears that hinder being honest about them. In my case, I was afraid of being locked up or scaring the *(^% out of friends and family. These urges did not go away though until I could get them out in a professional environment. There are also some great support groups out there as well as books on the subject. "Secret Cutting" was rather good. Please seek out professional help... not because you're weird or a freak... but because it is normal and occurs so often. Help is available. Nobody should have to go through life that way. And you don't have to.

auntiegrav
It means that the collective mind of the universe is rebelling against human beings. Our behavior as consumers is destroying the world we need to live, and isolating us from our families and communities. The result is that the universe is rejecting people. It shows up in many ways; suicides, smoking, climate change, hurricanes, earthquakes, depression, drought, etc. We are all connected to the background structure of the universe which communicates in many ways to our subconscious mind.
Sometimes, we listen. Mostly, we don't.

girl.
i used to. but think of WHY you're doing it?

bstagg
no, it's not wierd. But it is dangerous. Also there is definatley help out there and many many people have recovered from it and gone on to live healthy happy lives. Please consider talking to someone about getting help because the day you are able to beat this thing, you will be so happy, especially if you can beat it before it's way to late. Your not weird, remember that. Everyone does self harm to themselves to deal with things, just in different ways. I smoke ciggarettes, that may not seem the same to you, but it really is...so you are normal, but even so don't wait to get help...you CAN beat this.!!

Sidhe
Rating
Like anything someone does, it CAN get out of control. But, I disagree with some of these people because ANYTHING can be dangerous and unhealthy if you take it to extremes. I self-harm as well, and I don't mind doing it as long as I can keep it to a minimum. It's not weird, unless you consider all human nature weird. I personally think the phenomenon of drinking formaldehyde (used to preserve dead bodies) in diet soda is stranger. I do acknowledge, however, that I use it to cope with feelings that I sometimes can't deal with in less harmful ways, but I'm more concerned with getting over my feelings than stopping cutting completely.
My view: anything can be bad, and most things can be good. If you've been there, who can deny the incredible high you get from bleeding/burning/etc? I think of it as a drug that needs to be moderated. I try to prevent scarring and infections.
I don't really care who thinks I'm twisted as long as I'm satisfied with myself to some degree...it's really none of their business...and there are few who know about it. (HINT: we don't do it for attention)

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.074
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, March 29, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy