Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

How can i put myself to sleep without feeling tired?
i hate to take medicine to help me sleep. i have alot on my mind. i am a ...

How long does it take to get over death?
my grandfather died 8 days ago. he was 90 and had alzheimers so it wasn't unexpected. he was the first person i've ever known to die and i had a really hard time for the first few days and ...

Do you think Depression gives you a kick in the @rse to do more in life?

Can worry turn into Depression??
Can worrying turn into Depression? I some time worry a lot and some times way to much about things that i do not need to worry about .. can that turn into Depression?...

I found my boyfriends bottle of...................?
i found a bottle of Paxil in my boyfriends cabinet. What should i do? Should i confront him about it?...

Why live when we feel so much pain and suffering?

How do i avoid sleep?
i want to study but i feel very sleepy.as soon as i come from college i feel very ...

Depression?
i have depression, im doing all the right steps etc, the thing is i keep isolating myself, i dont wanna go out with my mates and just have a laugh, i cant find the motavation to do it? its upsetting ...

Can depression??
Two quick questions about depression!

1) Does being depressed make you more irritable towards others and your response when others approach you??

2) Depression - I know it can ...

Suicidal!!!?
I am feeling really suicidal tonight and I am seriously about to kill myself but I don't know why! Here's what's going on. I was in a psych hospital for 2 weeks and they really helped ...

I think I am going insane?
I used to have thoughts of suicide alot, but I dont really anymore. Now my attention is turned towards other people. I dont know what im thinking anymore.

Everytime im in school (im 16) I ...

This may sound stupid but....?
what is so wrong with wanting to die?
we never asked to be born into this world, so why are we always expected to enjoy it and want to live?...

I need help?
today im at an all time LOW! i posted on here the other day, i then went to a doctor who gave me some sleeping tablets coz i hadnt been depressed long enough even though its been 4 months! anyway my ...

Trying not to harm myself..[cut]?

i have a bad temptation to cut myself..
but i have been just scratching myself..
where i would cut.. is this bad?

i also snap.....

Are you LIVING or merely EXISTING?
I know I'm just existing right now, my life is meaningless, I have no purpose. What about you?
Additional Details
I'm 26 but had mental problems ever since I was 12. They'...

I am so depressed can anyone help?
I have suffered depression all my life and now at 32yrs I feel I jus can't cope anymore. I have no confidence left, continually anxious and so confused. I have never liked conflict and I let ...

Please help me, are there any things to help depression besides prescription drugs?
I have taken them twice in the past. Now, I have no health ins. and cannot do that again. I was considering buying St. Johns Wort, although for me in the past it never helped. Is there anything I ...

Self harm?
Okay so....for the past two months I've been self harming and today my friend had a massive go at me for doing it yesterday. I promised her that i wouldn't do it anymore. anyone got any ...

How to help a teenage son that has depression problems?????help me please?

If I tell an adult that I cut, will they REALLY do this to me?!?!??!?
I heard that if you cut and you tell, you will get sent to a mental hospital or special institue for treatment. I also heard that at one of the institutes they make you sleep in cells??? Is that true?...

POKHER4FUN
Are there people out there that really hurt themselves???
I don't get it!!! Help me understand why they do it!!! I'am serious!!

ericabishop691 is coping well
Rating
self cutters...all they want is attention... and they cut to bleed, hoping the blood will come out and their problems with it... dumb ppl, i think!

IMREALLYGOOD@circular
Yes of course, a ridiculous number of people hurt themselves in an even more ridiculous number of ways.

You hurt yourself.
I guarantee you: you do.
And no I don't just mean accidentally when preparing some snacks!
Self punishment is part of the human psych.
if you need an explanation for this you are either naive or psycho, if it's the latter, good luck to ya, y'ill go far matey!
the former, just think of the last thing you did, you didn't like, OK so maybe you didn't "beat yourself up" about it but I bet you punished yourself; however mildly.

With regards actually wounding oneself, which I'll have to assume your talking (typing!) about, this is merely an amplified reaction to said "guilt" feeling. And honorably "cutting out the c**p" in the middle, as in substance misuse, abuse of position etc . . . .

OK so call me melodramatic!

oddbutterfly1
Rating
My daughter used to do it alot. It seems that the person takes the internal pain that they are feeling from a stressful situation in their life and putting it on the outside so that they can see it. At least that is what I was told, at least in her case. Other people might have different reasons.

soniaatcalifornia
Rating
I work at a group home with teenagers and they do this all the time! The wiring in the heads is not the same as the normal person. Usually due to trauma and its the only way they think they can control their emotions is by venting it with self inflicted pain. I don't see it either but alot of us have never been through what they have had to endure. We would probably be the same way or worse.

ChEkNa
Rating
it's hard to believe i know!!!

it's actually a disease, a psycological one...it's like anorexics who see that they're fat even though they aren't, these ppl just want to hurt themselves maybe cuz they hate theirself internally or they hate something specific about themselves or they like the feeling of being hurt or the sight of blood or it might be that they're emotionally hurt

there are many theories but it's definitely not normal :s

Forever_Lost
Many many reasons, to feel alive, to know that there is something in you, occasionally for attention (DON'T STEREOTYPE) some people do it because they were abused, sometimes it's to punish themselves, some people become numb inside and out, they can't feel anything anymore, they hurt themselves to feel something, some people do it because they can't let out the pain inside, so they let it out physically. The razor might be their only friend. the scientific reason is because when the body is hurt, it sends "happy chemicals" throughout the body, it makes you feel better for a minute...and that minute can be worth everything sometimes. Why do I cut? to prove to myself that I'm still alive, that something is running through my veins, to prove to myself how much I hurt, and to punish myself.

"you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside"

elouise_bremner
they don't always hurt themselves because they want their life to be over
they can also do it because they want the pain of something(eg:losing a close friend or relitive) to go away. they don't want to kill themselves. theu do it as a way to let out all the pain in their system.
it is still very worrying for the friends of the person.
yes there are people who want their like to be over and, if you know someong who does, then you should talk to them and ask them why. let them talk it through with you. remember, you have to listen and nout say much.
hope this helps

nitz
there r some srious ,some minor heck even i've done it,ever fall in love then bcame heart broke u got ur answer...

tyler durden™
they are called "Borderliners" modern psychologie has not figured them out completely, its still a mystery.There are some "experts"
though, check it on the net.

beez
Yes,it's called self-mutilating and is caused by a variety of reasons. When someone burns or cuts themself, endorphins kick in and a rush follows. It is also a sign of very poor self-
image.

no
Rating
people that are selff cutters do it because many times it is easier to deal with a physical pain than an emotional pain. they are really stuggling with a deal phsycological hurt that they can't talk about or express. Most don't display their cutting nor talk about and keep it well hidden.

curtosy of healt ato z:

Several different theories have been proposed to explain self-mutilation:

self-mutilation is an outlet for strong negative emotions, especially anger or shame, that the person is afraid to express in words or discuss with others.

self-mutilation represents anger at someone else directed against the self.

self-mutilation relieves unbearable tension or anxiety Many self-mutilators do report feeling relief after an episode of self-cutting or other injury.

self-mutilation is a technique for triggering the body's biochemical responses to pain. Stress and trauma release endorphins, which are the body's natural pain-killing substances

self-mutilation is a way of stopping a dissociative episode. Dissociation is a process in which the mind splits off, or dissociates, certain memories and thoughts that are too painful to keep in conscious awareness. Some people report that they feel "numb" or "dead" when they dissociate, and self-injury allows them to feel "alive."

self-mutilation is a symbolic acting-out of the larger culture's mistreatment of women. This theory is sometimes offered to explain why the great majority (about 75%) of self-mutilators are girls and women

The symptoms of self-mutilation typically include wearing long-sleeved or baggy clothing, even in hot weather; and an unusual need for privacy. Self-mutilators are often hesitant to change their clothes or undress around others. In most cases the person has also shown signs of depression.

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/self-mutilation.jsp

xo_cuddly_kitten_xo
Rating
yes there are people out there...sometimes they hurt themselves because of depression, emotional problems, a tragedy happened, family (suicidal relatives, divorce, etc), eating disorder.... even too much curiosity and open-minded-ness can cause people to hurt themselves like cutting their wrists

one_and_only
Rating
Duhh!!

crystal s
I cut because i like the pain because i get depressed and it helps me get threw the day... I may not have anything else in my life but i always have a knife and my body

flowerchild
Rating
sometimes i am confused because i've never been this depressed
and the pain isn't a real excuse to be sad
so i guess you cut yourself to make yourself believe that you are hurt and have this reason to be the way other than mentally depressed.
sorry if that sounds confusing... it sounded better in my head!

MICHELE M B
Yes there are I am sorry to say but there definitely are they either have a mental disorder or something is going wrong in there personal life I am sorry to say but yes definitely there are indeed and I think it is a terrible thing.

Hari C
Rating
It makes them feel better. Put simply, if feeling low, or angry or just too full of emotion, it can act as a release. You know when you've felt so angry you want to punch something, and you know it will make you feel better? In these cases, seeing the blood will provide momentary relief, but then of course will be guilt and shame. This shouldn't be confused with suicide, and it is not attention seeking. Many people do it unnoticed for years, and they want to hide it. Have you ever sat ther with a razor, wondering where to cut so that people won't be able to see? I'm not getting at the asker, I'm getting at the people on here who do not believe that cutters are rational human-beings, and are merely attention seekers. They're not.

north79004487
You betcha! I don't understand it either, but it's not something that is done by a rationally thinking individual. The people that do this are suffering from very real and very physical diseases which can be treated with medicines prescribed by any doctor. Of course, a doctor worth his salt will also recommend counseling to see if there are external reasons for the problem.

Sometimes people feel worthless and that someone should punish them. If nobody is around to punish them, they take the matter in their own hands. A lot of times, such people came from abusive homes and once they are free of those influences, they feel they are left to discipline themselves.

If you ever come across someone that cuts themselves intentionally or bruises themselves intentionally, don't be a critic! That could trigger worse treatment of themselves and you won't be helping. Be sympathetic and suggest a they see a doctor. Tell them there are physical illnesses that could be causing them to hurt themselves and more importantly, that they usually can't help themselves - but need medication and counseling. If you can't approach it that way, don't approach it at all.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, March 29, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy