Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Is it okay when my boyfriend controls my life?

Why do I feel so down?
Latly I have been feeling very down. I have been very tired in the day and very awake at night. I have been crying and I don't even know why. Can any of you tell me why I have been feeling down ...

Calling all addicts!! when your are........?
away from yahooanswers....do you STILL think about it???
like ya can't wait to get back on it?????...

One minute I'm sad and crying in my bed in the dark, and the next minute I'm happy and working out and stuff.
Could I be bi-polar?...

How can i get over sucidal thought's...The more that i fight depression..?
the more my depression worsen's and more sucide sounds like heaven to me..I don't know what to do and i don't know how to be really truley happy...Real smiles and lauph's not fake ...

Cure for anxiety?
I have to do some public speaking next week anyone know any of anything that will help.
Additional Details
anything OTHER than drugs?...

Whats the point in life?
i just dont get it..we work and love..then just die..just die and its all over..and ur gone forever...i just dont get it..i never wanna die im 18 and im starting to know now that we really die..i ...

What can I do when the GP just recomends self help?
I am depressed. I have a stressful job, managing staff as well as the public, and I feel as though everything I do away from work is a mess. I live with my boyfriend of over 3yrs, and I consider our ...

I truely need help, I'm feeling so suicidal?
My mind is really messed up at the moment,Im so depressed, I feel like there is no point in me living another day,Im 19 n have been feeling this way for a very long time now - previously on here ...

Is looking at the toilet paper after you wipe normal?

Anyone have a good way of releasing anger?
i get mad often and i would like to be able to release it ...

When does a Pyschiatrist think you should be placed in a mental hospital?
If someone is told they have signs of psychosis, a mood effective disorder and obsessive compulsions then gets placed on antipsychotics, the person still goes out and drinks on a night out whilst on ...

Someone please exsplain this to me?
does anyone relate to this situation that i am in...i am living with my boyfriend who has bi-polar a couple of yrs ago he decided to quit taking his meds cause he said it was a joke...sometimes he is ...

Am I Emo? I Have To Know!?
I think of suicide a lot. I would never attempt it though. I get depressed EASILY! I get sooooo mad soooooo fast. Most people annoy me. I am usually just never happy. I DONT cut myself. I listen to ...

Are there people out there that really hurt themselves???
I don't get it!!! Help me understand why they do it!!! I'am serious!!...

Why do I cry almost every night? It is because of my bad childhood experience. Do you guys think I am crazy?

What should I have done about a Dr who keeps phoning me at home?
I started seeing a Consultant Psychiatrist about 2 months ago for an eating disorder. By the second session he was discussing aspects of his own life such as the fact he is studying for a Masters ...

Why i see black things fly around all times???Please I need a help.?
I have beeing seeing these stuff more obvious about 3 months.
There every where...they have different shapes such as circle and squre sometimes it's like zigzag. Inside there are small ...

I like to self-harm. Is it so weird?

Antidepressants??
Hi,
I'm 25 and have found myself to be very depressed lately. I'm going through a divorce, ect. I have tried Paxil and Lexapro, and both make me very sick to my stomach, which I ...

snookie
My son aged 27 just spent 5 months in a pshyciatric hospital.He is back in his flat now and doing well exept?
for his spending habits.They are way beyond his the benifits he receives and I cant keep bailing him out. Im really stuck on how I begin to sort this out. Has anyone got any advice

kittykat
Rating
If a person can't handle his money and is disabled, anther person can take over the money and help him manage his income. This is how it works in the US.

Sandy Sandals
Either tell him no or handle his finances for him.

Lisa T
Rating
It is difficult as he is still your son. As he isn't well it is hard to make them understand. Does he still talk regular to a help from the hospital, if so, can't you have a chat with them and tell them what is going on, then maybe they could help in his next lesson! Good luck, I hope i never have to be in your shoes, cos no matter what they are at the end of your day. They are still your children.

♥ Glitterbomb ♥
Rating
Im pleased he is better, and coping well back home. Does he have a Care Coordianator or a Community Nurse visit? It may be a good idea to start this ball rolling as he will be supported, at home, and any possible detioration (heavan forbid)in his mental health will be detected and assessed quickly, and dealt with.

tufty
Many people your son's age are facing higher and higher levels of personal debt; our salaries never quite seem to match what we would like to buy! It is something that he needs to get under control as when debts amass they can cause stress which will not be good for his overall mental health. This may seem like a bit of a basic question but has he ever had to calculate and live within a budget before? If not may I suggest you sit down and devise one together using a spreadsheet programme - it may actually be a great way for your son to feel more in control of his life. Hope things go well!

A suitable girl
Is he getting all of his benefit entitlement? A lot of people are under claiming what they are due. Check this out with a benefit advisor at the Citizens Advice Bureau.
Pleased to hear that your son is safely home and doing well. Could you help him manage his money better but not bail him out so often? Is he able to work? If not, perhaps voluntary or therapeutic work would stop him being bored and spending too much.

Jose Angel G
Rating
Advice him about getting a job and help him get his two feet planted on the ground (financially and life wise)

kitty
Rating
This isnt the whole answer, but one thing you may find helpful is to ask your GP to allocate a CPN (Community Psych Nurse) to your son. The CPN will visit him at home for a limited number of sessions and help him draw up a budget for himself, and sort out any other practical problems he may have.

Simmi
Rating
He needs a payee. If he cannot handle the money then someone (it could be you or not) needs to pay the regular bills and dole out the money to last the month. Don't bail him out. He will never change if you do this and it is too much of a burden on you. If he purchases something on credit, who ever accepted his credit should take the loss, not you since they should be doing a credit check.

marcellinemuscat
hi i am marcelline and i did 20 years voluntary with mental people amd depretion don't worry about your son that is not a problem he need someone to teach him budgetting and control his money and when you go out with him try to not take him near shops that is good if he is feeling to buy things his moral is up but don't worry nothing to worry you tell him that examplehe has 50 pounds a week and he has only does and no more don't give him if he come short of money and wih that you are teach him budgetting he is much better than before i can asure you

DeltaQueen
Rating
Sounds as if you need to sit down with him and teach him to budget. Show him how much he makes, then take out rent,utilities and what ever other monthly expenses he would have. Then show him what he has left for food and fun.
If you can, bail him out 1more time then he should be able to handle his money better when he understands how to pay bills and such. As we know, it is much harder than it looks.lol
My son has not had to conquer the issues that your son has and he still needs help every once in awhile. I think I made it look to easy to him, and he doesn't take it seriously enough.
Good Luck and best of luck to your Son

Part Time Cynic
If he can't handle his finances at 27, i doubt he ever will. You can sit and talk to him about it but as long as you bail him out in the end yo won't get nowhere. And if he knows you will bail him out he won't stop spending will he?
Give him an ultimatume and stick to it?

Borderline
Rating
Let him face the economic realities of life himself..

Jules
Rating
Hi, despite what others have answered before, I do know that this can be a common problem with people who suffer from mental ill health, especially if they suffer with bipolar disorder and are liable to spending sprees whilst in their manic phase. It also tends to be fairly common with people living on benefits.

There are a number of ways that you can help your Son to start taking charge of his finances; it is possible that his utilities can be taken directly out of his benefits, the same with his TV licence as well. This means that the money would be sure to pay what he needs to pay before he has chance to spend it on anything else.

If he is on CPA then he will have a care co-ordinator, speak to them and ask if they can arrange for an occupational therapist to help teach him how to budget. If this isn't possible or is going to take too long then I would suggest seeing if there is a mental health charity near to you:

http://www.mind.org.uk/Mind+in+your+area/

The one I work for has a specific housing service which is the kind of thing that would really benefit your son. They can work with him and will ensure that he is getting his full benefit entitlement and also help with budgeting and managing things now he is living back at home.

It is easy to contact your local Mind association, you can give them a ring and then take it from there. It might also be a good idea to see if they have a carers group that you could access. It would give you some much needed support as you care for your son.

These links may prove to be useful to you,

How to cope as a carer:
http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Booklets/How+to/How+to+cope+as+a+carer.htm

Carers factsheet:
http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Factsheets/Carers/

the information is easy to read and understand, and as you will see, you are entitled to an assessment of your needs.

Caring for a person suffering from a mental health problem can be both rewarding and frustrating at times, so you need to ensure that you look after yourself as well as your son. Finding some extra support for both of you will prove useful and helpful and hopefully take some of the strain off you.

Hope some of this helps.

Take care and good luck.

bmac
Rating
He doesn't stop because YOU keep bailing him out. I know he's your son and you hate to see in hurting and having troubles, but you have to stop covering for him. He is 27. If the psych hospital thought he was mentally disabled, they would not have let him go back to his flat--instead they would have sent him to a home. So, your son knows exactly how much money he has and how much he can spend. If he goes over---too bad---he'll have to deal with the consequences. And YOU have to allow him to go through that. Tell him right now that you WILL NOT give him any more money. If he has a hard time handling that, then you need to tell him he needs to talk to his counselor about it. End of discussion
I do hope he is STILL getting counseling....isn't he?

"Nice Beaver"
Rating
Many of the people responding to your question are assuming that your son does not have the mental capacity to manage his own affairs. This is rarely the case in mental illness (as distinct from mental impairment). Where mental capacity is judged to be intact, the law does not permit you to take over the management of his finances under the court of protection. This is a real dilemma for you - chosing between letting him face the consequences of his irresponsibility - or continuing to 'enable' it by bailing him out each time. There will be a finite limit to your bailing him out - at which point he will sink or swim. Nobody could criticise you for calling and end to it now - before you are both destitute. Advise is of no value to you - others do not have your unique perspective, or your emotional involvement. It comes down to a simple choice between two obvious courses of action. By all means make a final guesture of your generosity if you can afford to - but then follow your instincts. Good luck.

Hopefully Helpful
Rating
Dose he have a Department Of Mental Health case manager?
This would be good for him. This person can monitor his spending. The case manager can be in charge of his spending money and give him only a certain amount at a time.
Good Luck

jenkin1950
Rating
I have been precisely where you are. Apart from all the heartache that this situation brings, you have to deal with the ways in which their 'illness' manifests itself. As a father devoted to his son, I helped him out, rescued him from all the dangerous situations he had got himself into, and so forth, but in the end I just HAD to take control of his affairs, and curb his spending, and also try to understand why he was doing it anyway. We DID get it under control, he now lives within his means, but I have to check all the time that he doesn't have access to very much money, because I know that he will get taken advantage of by his friends, well, they're not friends, but they will get him to buy all the drinks, etc etc etc. My wife and I also have an autistic daughter, but that is another story.
Be prepared for some very stupid replies to your question.

Eve
Stop bailing him out and let him face his own consequences. There's financial managment people who can help him out too. He has to learn to be a big boy and stand on his own two feet.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, March 29, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy