Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Is it normal for one of your goals in life to be to become a s.l.ut? im being serious. What do you think?im 17

Additional Details
i don't care if i get diseases and stuff or get pregnant or anything. i just want to know what you think....

I need a hug.?
I been very down lately. I need a boost of happiness. I am getting my hair done. I am loosing a few pounds. I find my self so miserable. Help!! :( I am angry everyday of my life. I did seek help, but ...

How to stop an abuser?

I am the youngest in my family?
Is that why I'm

spoiled (brat)?
selfish?...

I want to be normal?
i m 26 year old i m haveing panick attack last summer but now i get medicine what is help me whit that and my high pulse to but sometime i feel like so alone and to tell u io dont want kill my self i ...

If you call a suicide hotline, do they automatically call the police?

What if when you sleep and piss and you dont feel it but it happens almost every night?

Mother in law is psycho and stalking me plus hurting my daughters mentally?
My MIL is saying mean and hurtful things to my daughters. My oldest (10.5) has talked about suicide because her nanna doesn't love her. My MIL is constantly saying mean and hurtful things to ...

I need help? i cant cope with the pain?
Im on the verge of a nervous breakdown because of my x bf, he was madly in love with me and then the next wanted me out of his life. He was my world i loved him dearly and still do, over the past 8 ...

Have you ever attempted suicide?
If you have, did you get help? How long does it take to get better? And are you happy you didn't go through with it?
Looking for serious answers please....

Can video games (like GTA) help someone become less shy?
I'm so alone, and I feel just like somebody else
Man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
Additional Details
I know GTA is *not* real, but since I playing I ...

I'm just curious to know how old are the people who hang around in this section?
I am 25....

Help me..? im hurting so bad inside i just want to kill my slef?
ok this is hard for me i dont know what to say to explain how i feel except that im 20 years old and i havent ever been in trouble before and i live at home im not currently employed cause i just got ...

Can anyone tell me why do people ask stupid question's?

How long can you go without sleep before you start going crazy?

I'm turning 39 in 10 minutes. Is life pretty much over after the 30's?
I'm really becoming aged. I have one year of my 30's left. I'm looking for answers from old people (40+) about how to handle leaving my 30's and entering old age. If you are under ...

Why would anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence use Crystal Meth.?
Knowing what we know about this drug. About how addictive it is; how unstable it is and just how dangerous it is; why would anyone with any amount of intelligence even try it.

Is it ...

Can people please say something to me, distract me...?
i've got a lot on my mind atm, i'm stressed, worried, and i really feel the need to cut myself right now, but i'm desperately trying not to. i haven't cut for weeks, so i'm ...

Is George Bush clinically insane?
He certainly has been acting very strange....

My life is so lovely that I might as well shoot myself...?
Does anybody know from a counsellor who doesn't charge because I can't pay
Additional Details
I'm not looking for attention, I am just genuinely messed up and really want ...

Girl: Misunderstood
If I tell an adult that I cut, will they REALLY do this to me?!?!??!?
I heard that if you cut and you tell, you will get sent to a mental hospital or special institue for treatment. I also heard that at one of the institutes they make you sleep in cells??? Is that true??? I need help, but for God's sake, I don't want to go to one of those places!!!
Additional Details
Well, I was REALLY considering telling my parents that I cut. The problem is that my mom is 8 months pregnant and... I don't know.... maybe with the new baby coming and all, she wouldn't want to have to deal with my issues all the time. So I would get sent away....... does that sound dumb??

Krystal K
Rating
if you're cutting yourself, you need to get help. it makes no point to harm yourself for whatever reason you're doing it for. life is difficult and you just need to go with the flow of it. there are probably hundreds of people who are worse off than you that do not cut themselves. never understood why people find harming themselves to cause less stress in their lives.

now that i know you are 13, i can definitley tell you there are billions of people with more important things wrong that dont cut themselves

MrsDuran
Rating
I work in an Inpatient Psychiatric Treatment Unit at a Mental Health Center and there are definitely not cells in there. There are normal looking bedrooms with closets and beds. Depending on the severity of your cuts and your motives (deep cuts vs. superficial cuts, you cut to releive tension/anxiety or as a suicide attempt), your parents might simply make an apointment for you to see a Psychiatrist on an outpatient basis. They might not even recommend you go to an inpatient treatment center. But you should definitely talk to them and let them know what is going on with you. They will get you the help that you need, and you will be thankful you did. Good Luck! I'll be thinking of you!

brandi m
i am just going to tell you this i am a cutter and i told my parents they got me some one to help me . the thing is i almost got sent to a mental hospital, cuz i am so addicted to it. but that doesnt happen all the time tho. it sometimes happens and other times it doesnt it kind of depends.

ebec11
Rating
First of all, they're not cells. I went in one for trying to commit suicide, and they're more like college dorms, only you're watched all the time (not fun, but I felt safe)
If you aren't suicidal, you won't have to go to in treatment therapy I believe. Maybe talk to your crisis hotline to make sure, as it could be different where you live, and I don't want to give you faulty information :/

eryops
At one time, it was quite easy to get locked in a mental hospital. Not so anymore. Unfortunatley, rumors about the old hospitals still spread as if it's still that way today, but it isn't.

Today, with better medicines and better understanding of mental illness in general, hospitalization has become the treatment of last resort. There are much fewer mental hospital beds now, and they must meet strict regulations concerning ethical treatment of patients.

Outpatient treatment including "talk therapy" is the more likely scenario for you.

If you cut because you are suicidal that is one thing. If you cut to release pain, that is something else. Competent professionals know the difference. Your cutting is a behavior that's apparently distressing enough to you that you came and posted this question. Don't be worried about telling. Be more worried about keeping it to yourself.

Ashley
they probaby WONT send you anywhere.. depending how bad it is.and when i told my parents didnt do anything but talk to me.so i think you should tell.oh and i told my mom when she was pregnet too. :)

Meghan
Rating
Look up SI Awareness on the internet, there are a lot of sites that can help you, and help your mom when you do approach her. You do need to tell someone, but if you feel as though this is to much for your mom then finding some background information will help the both of you. There is out patient therapy and you can get help and get through this. Good luck and take a couple deep breaths or rip some paper the next time you feel the urge.

karen s
Rating
no that isnt true. they will ask u 2 see a counsellor or a psychiatrist or a psychologist to help u talk it out. they will want u 2 take medication. u dont have 2 do any of these things but if u want help and want 2 stop cutting urself then the best thing 2 do is to see a psychologist and take the medication.

~Xx:Snails:xX~
my question is, what if someone at a hospital see you're cutting? and if you're an adult "legally", is there anything they can do? can they force you to seek out further treatment?

~HeRMoSaCaLi
Depends on who you tell, most adults will seek professional help, but not through a live in program!! Probably just occasional check-ups with a physician or psychologist.

E.F.H
Well it really depends on how old you are. If you are a minor and tell your school counselor or something, they are required by law to report that to authorities. Anything that involves hurting yourself or others they are required to report. But you do need to open up about that to someone. If it's school, they will most likely just tell your parents and tell them to get you evaluated. They won't necessarily send you to a mental hospital. But think about it. If you tell someone, that's one step closer to a better life without cutting.

genzeleam
A lot of people say they hurt or cut themselves but don't really do as much as they say they do. For this reason, they won't always send you to one of the hospitals for evaluation. They'll probably recommend therapy. If they think you're honestly a risk to yourself, they might recommend you go through a 3-day mental evaluation at a mental health center.

lady
Oh sweetie, no that isn't true. You will get counselling, but you won't be put away in an institution.

Tell your mother, that is what she is there for. And she needs to know that you are hurting. Let her do her job, and help make it better.

l
Rating
it depends on how bad you are. sometimes things can be worked out with just a doctor. however, if you want to get better, you need to do what you need to do.

for mental illness, the first step to recovery is accepting that you have a problem and that you need help.

May King
I feel for you. I know of people who cut, I found them on line in another support on line group. It is a problem which is very difficult to deal with as you know.
Is there an adult in your life you feel you can talk to and trust? I don't know your parents or your guardians. Naturally anyone who cares about you will be concerned with the cutting. Not everyone is hospitalized. Some facilities for people with mental health problems are better than others. I don't have to tell you that your problem is serious. It is just a matter of time before someone finds out what you are doing. I hope and pray that you will never be found unconscious or worse.
Please talk to a family member or friend, pastor or other trustworthy adult to help you find the treatment you need.
I am praying for you.
Hey Girl,
I see where you state your mother is 8 months pregnant. I am sure the stress of the pregnancy and the changes it means in the family isn't helping you with your problem.
But guess what, as a mother of 2 children, it would make no difference what shape I was in or out of, if one of my children had a problem, I would want to know about it sooner than later. And I would want to help them ASAP. Most places have sliding scale fees if money is a problem. Whether we like it or not, our problems are not just our own. They affect everyone who loves us as they care for us. Let your mother be there for you. Follow your gut feeling and don't let fear stop you. Love is a great healer. You deserve to let others help you with this.

eNorma
Rating
If you're planning on harming yourself, it is good idea that you tell someone. Behavioral Centers are not that bad. I have one of my nursing clinical rotations at a mental hospital. They don't have cells. They're just like hospital rooms. And the people there can really help you. People from all different disciplines will work on your case to help you become well (ex. Social worker, medical doctors, psychologist, nurses, etc.).

njdocisin
No, you won't get sent to a mental hospital unless you have a severe illness that requires inpatient treatment. If you're cutting yourself you need to tell someone and get professional help before you seriously hurt yourself. You shouldn't have to go to a mental hospital, but you're definitely going to need counseling to help you.

Taylor's Mom
You will probably have to go for evaluation. But it is definitely not jail or like the psych hospitals you see in the movies. They may be able to do outpatient therapy sessions and you wont have to be committed at all. An adult may have a child committed if that child is not willing to get help. But it sounds like you want help and therefore outpatient therapy may be the best option for you.

jackie
Rating
You do not get institutionalized for cutting. If you tell an adult, they will get you the help you need so that you stop cutting. It will be in the form of trips to a physcologist. Its painless. You just go and talk to someone and they will talk to you and tell you whats what. Good luck hun. I wish you the best. Tell someone.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.004
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, March 29, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy