Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Please help i am becoming an alcoholic how do i stop!?
I am starting to drink anything alcoholic in the ...

I'm so scared?!?
I heard pounding somewhere out of my house. What should I do?...

When you are depressed, what do you do to feel better?
I mean sometimes I listen to music or throw things or even break things (by accident), but I want to know what helps everyone else feel better?...

Okay really embarasing.................. can't help it...
Um, I am like, mentally stable, don't worry.........but I am sooooooooo scared of people. Like, when I see people I don't know.I like hide, or totally try and ignore them. they just SCARE...

What's Bipolar Disorder?
I know it's a mental disease,but what does it ...

I was raped by my bf best friend but im scrd to tell my bf cuz he might do somin crazy?

Is marijuana as bad as everyone says it is???
i used to smoke marijuana to calm myself down, and also so i can sleep at night. Are there really all those bad side effects?...

Why is loneliness the most painful thing in life?
I have many friends and am a teacher but I feel so alone. I have bipolar and have struggled to cope. I also lost mum when I was 19 and find it difficult to trust that others will not leave me too if I...

Would u let michael jackson into ur home?

Additional Details
with ur ...

Is it bad if you smoke marijuana because you have an anxiety disorder and it helps you feel less anxious?

School makes me want die?
im a senior and school just started but i cant do it im failing because i hardly go. i tried pot and it scares me how much better school is but i dont remember what happen in school and i like that ...

Cure for depression that doesn't involve pills, god, or a dumb hobby?

Additional Details
I said no god and no pills! So all you pill poppers and god lovers please pay attention....

Can someone give me some words of encouragement please!!!?
I feel so depressed. I have no interest in anything. Nothing really significant happened to bring on this depression, but I have felt like this for about 2 months now. All I want to do is sleep, but ...

If there's no one that cares about you is it still wrong to kill yourself?
People always say that suicide is bad because other people will be sad about it, but what if there's no one that cares about you? Then is there still anything wrong with killing yourself?...

I hate myself.?
all the memories i have done good in hs gone blank.What the **** is ...

Im a non-drinker??
would like to no what kind of enjoyment you get from drinking thats if you do ?when i see drunk people they scare me its amazing how alcohol can change a person anyone ...

I watched my grandma die?
and I want to know if anyone has any tips on dealing with that. She had cancer and we were REALLY close....

I've just been to a funeral. Can you help me with a question?
I've visited the funeral of my sisters' best friends' mother. She was only 52. Cancer. The family are devestated. How long does the whole "grieving process" take? Is there ...

What's your phobia?
I have two, Apiphobia (bees) I really freak out when they are around me and Scoleciphobia (worms) I want to vomit when I see them....

Why do people cut themselves?

Additional Details
Question to the people who actually do it. what goes through your mind. hjow does it make u feel better? doesnt it ...

Mark O'L
What is the best way to cope with bipolar disorder?

Hugh Jass
Rating
medicine

quikboy
Rating
therapy and medicene

K38
Rating
Medication.

VeggieCandleLady
Rating
Medication, exercise, eat properly, therapy.

Stay on the medication even when you THINK you're doing well and don't need it. The medication IS WHY you are doing well.

Many convince themselves that they don't need it anymore because they are feeling so much better and stop. The don't realize that it is because of the medication that they are feeling better.

It's a disruptive, repeated pattern that does not have to occur.

Best of Luck to YOU!

Sorry, "you" is not directed at you <smile> just wording.

James H
There is a lot of good info on this subject right here.

krispiemeow
Rating
find people with the same disorder....it helps having people know how u feel

Moglai
I agree with GARTH. I work with people who have long-term mental health problems, it is important for sufferers to take their prescribed medication regularly.
I thought you might find the following link interesting:

http://bipolar.about.com/od/celebrities/

Just Thinking
By accepting that its an illness like diabetes, heart condition or anything else you care to name. It is manageable with medication or though you may need to try a few to find one that suits your system. You haven't failed and you are not worthless because you have it. Having said that, for me I manage it best by taking my medication, allowing myself time out from others be it to read, sleep or watch TV. Be kind to yourself when you recognize that you are spiraling down make efforts to support yourself. Take brisk walks. For me I don't tell people I will admit that adds an exhausting element to my life but I told a previous boss that I suffered from depression and she used it as a power play to victimize me...bullying in the workplace is awful and adds much more stress to your life than keeping quiet. If you are teary a migraine is always a good ploy until you can get home. Its not easy being bipolar, take your meds find someone who is supportive away from work and hopefully family AND most importantly be kind to yourself.

SmileyCat : )
Rating
Welp...this is not just hearsay...but straight from the horses mouth because I was diagnosed bi-polar in my early 20's.
I've tried many different medications. Lithium being one that I didn't like. I'm now on Trileptol 300 mg. tablets. Directions say to take 2 1/2 tabs. though I usually take 2. And only at night before I go to bed because they do make you a little tired. Besides for that...I have no side effects like some of the other meds. that are out there. These inable me to stay more focused. Without them I'm all over the place...and not getting anything done at all. I don't enjoy being hospitalized....so it's important that I take them.
Get my blood checked ever so often to make sure the meds aren't killin' my insides and I'm good to go.
If you need to talk about anything Mark OL..feel free to contact me.

Take Care
P.S. I also try to watch my stress but that's hard sometimes!
SmileyCat : )

mickjam
Medication and Massage Therapy.

Hassen
Rating
The best ways that I have found are:
*to take my medications as needed because they help with the disorder in my brain
*go to my therepy sessions because my psychologist can help me sort through my feeling and thoughts about what is going on around me or at a particular time
*exercise because it helps to keep the body balanced
*eating right because it helps to ensure you are healthy and getting the proper nutrician that you need, especially with a mood disorder

adamsjrcn
There is no one best way.

Medication is usually necessary to control the symptoms
Therapy helps with the consequences of the illness
Information helps one to know what is available
Peer support helps you know that you are not alone

mtd29485
Rating
I have a friend who has that disorder and I have found with proper medicine she is loving life. I have also found that there are many level of bipolar and you need to be tested by a professional.

starjessiegirl
meds!!! honestly i am bi-polar and am not on anything it can be ulgy, i'm mostly manic but that could go in many different ways

Garth
Rating
Medication and talk therapy.

pixiedust
meds and proper psychiatry

gandg
Rating
OMG, thank you so much for asking this question, im so happy i stumbled upon this. My Dad has BP Disorder. Parents are divorced now.

Just STAY ON YOUR MEDICINE, even when u feel u dont need it
Never Lie to you doctor or psychiatrist
And see a psychiatrist as much as you can, like once a week is healthy,

I wish you the best of luck, even though i dont think you will need Luck, you have taken the right steps so far. Good for you. You are going to life a long healthy life!

BRAINMASTER_ROHIT
Rating
YOGATHERAPY

Angela B
Rating
Medication and cognitive behavioural therapy together have been proven to be more effective than medication alone in treating bipolar disorder.

You can also join a support group with others in your community who also have bipolar disorder. There are also many online communities for bipolar disorder as well, if anonymity is an issue.

nanner
When I was first told that I was bi-polar the powers that be said that I would have to be on lithium for the rest of my life to keep me at a level state. I hated it . Plus, it really messed with my monthly cycle,so I did the wrong thing and just quit taking them . I get a hell of a lot done when I am manic and when I become depressed have to tell myself that feelings are not facts and that this to shall pass. That and I have a great support system in place that knows me well and is there to help me through the bad times. Good luck with it I'm pulling for you.

bookworm9284
Rating
I am also Bi-Polar. The best things to do to try to cope with it are keep your appointments, take your medication, and learn as much as you can. I got so sick of my husband calling me bi-polar, that I came on-line one day to find out the symptoms. In trying to prove him wrong, I proved him right. Now that I'm taking my medication like I should have been for the last several years, we're ALL a lot happier!

mkl2695
find a good psychiatrist. I am not being flippant bipolar disorder is very hard to treat correctly and requires medication to treat successfully. The thing is the best medicationss to treat it require frequent monitoring by a skilled clinician! the good news is if you take care of it you can live a happy and STABLE life. Dont be afraid of taking medication, be more afraid not to in this particular case. Good Luck!

alleytress
Rating
Take your medication and try to live life to the fullest it will help you feel better about yourself

Chad B
Rating
That depends on the person. som of us respond to medicine and others respond to medicin and therapy.
Or if you don't want to do that and think you can handle it you could always self medicat. but this will cause you more problems then it will solve. so stick to Doc and gooooooooooood LEGAL drugs.

jenny in ohio
Rating
medication is vital. See a doctor!!!

crabbit
Rating
Hi Mark, definitely medication, and keep it going , even when you feel you don't need it. Also , and this is important, exercise, anything that will get the endorphins running especially when you're stressed and under pressure, also tell the folks close to you what's going on, then they can understand your moods, need to shut them out etc without internalising it and becoming defensive etc. Finally good luck petal, although this is nothing new historically it does seem to be symptomatic of the modern age / lifestyle etc.

lost_but_not_hopeless
Rating
The obvious answer that everybody go to right away is medication.. this is tricky.. everybody reacts to different ones in different way.. and it often takes several tries at several different ones to find what works.. don't get discouraged.. Lamictal and Seroquel work very well for me..
the one that wasn't mentioned is knowledge. knowing what you are up against is VERY empowering. it is very good to know that you are not alone in your feelings and emotions and what it means to be bipolar.. I have spent so much time researching this affliction.. it has helped me to put an end to all of the denial aspect of it all. I know I did not choose this. I am powerless to avoid the ups and downs.. with medication they are still there.. but FAR from the extremes of before I was diagnosed and treated..
lead all of those around you to different websites so that they can have a partial understanding of whatever it is that the bipolar person in their life is struggling with..
And like you are doing here and now.. find other people in similar situations to reinforce positive things into your mind that are sometimes hard to find on your own. Know that you are not alone..
Music has been very good therapy for me.. there are a lot of musically inclined bipolar artists out there.. I can name several.. BlueOctober.. ModestMouse.. Ani DiFranco .. K's Choice.. Throwing Muses/Kristin Hersh .. they are great in their own ways.. If you would like my list of websites that I find endless amonts of inspiration in reading blogs and personal experiences of what it is like to be bipolar feel free to email or leave a message when you pick a best answer .. I will forward my lists.. there are several.
Best of Luck :)

♥ jojo ♥
Rating
Medication,Lithium most often used. Drink at least 1600ml of water every day and get your blood levels checked often. Good luck.

♥pixie♥
Rating
Although there is no cure for bipolar disorder, it can be effectively treated with a combination of medications and counseling. It is important to take your medications exactly as prescribed, even when you feel well. Your doctor may have to try different combinations of medications to find what's right for you.

Initial treatment
The first treatment for bipolar disorder often happens in the "acute" phase, when a person may have his or her first manic episode. In the acute phase, you may be suicidal, psychotic, or using such poor judgment that you are in danger of harming yourself. Your doctor may decide you should be hospitalized for your own safety, especially if he or she believes you are suicidal. Medications that may be used for initial treatment include:

Mood stabilizers, such as lithium carbonate (Eskalith, Lithane, and Lithobid). Experts believe lithium may affect certain brain chemicals (neurotransmitters) that cause mood changes, but how the medication works is not completely understood. Anticonvulsants, such as valproate sodium (Depakene Syrup), divalproex (Depakote), and carbamazepine (Tegretol) are also mood stabilizers. Valproate and divalproex are used to treat manic episodes. The anticonvulsant lamotrigine was recently approved for the long-term maintenance treatment of bipolar I disorder and may be helpful for depression. Anticonvulsants can be helpful in hard-to-treat bipolar episodes. A mood stabilizer and an antipsychotic are often used as the first medications for acute manic episodes.
Atypical antipsychotics, such as olanzapine (Zyprexa), risperidone (Risperdal), and quetiapine (Seroquel). Antipsychotics quickly improve manic episodes. Olanzapine may be used in combination with mood stabilizers and anticonvulsants.
Benzodiazepines, such as diazepam (Valium), which may be used instead of antipsychotics or as an additional medication during a manic phase.
Managing a manic episode.
Ongoing treatment
Ongoing treatment for bipolar disorder includes counseling and adjusting medications with the goal of preventing manic and depressive episodes. It may take months for your symptoms to go away and for you to be able to function normally.

Mood stabilizers are generally used long-term, and other medications are prescribed for episodes of mania or depression that happen even though you are taking the mood stabilizers. If you've had three or more manic episodes, you may benefit by taking medications for the rest of your life. Counseling may help you deal with troubled relationships and enable you to function at work.

Antidepressants, such as fluoxetine (Prozac), are used very carefully to treat depression because they can trigger a manic episode. Experts now recommend that antidepressants only be used for short periods of time during severe episodes of depression, and that they be combined with mood stabilizers. 8

Treatment if condition gets worse
In some cases, electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) may be an option. In this procedure, brief electrical stimulation to the brain is given through electrodes placed on the head. The stimulation produces a short seizure that is thought to balance brain chemicals.

If you also have anxiety symptoms, such as worrying and not sleeping, panic attacks, or symptoms of psychosis, you may need additional medications.

What To Think About
When you and your doctor are discussing your medications, think about whether your lifestyle allows you to take medications on time every day. A medication you only take once a day may work best for you if you have a hard time remembering to take your medications.

The side effects of the medications should also be considered. You may be able to tolerate some side effects better than others. Discuss the side effects of each medication with your doctor as you consider your treatment options.

The use of antidepressants alone has been linked to an increase in manic episodes. 6 Antidepressant treatment needs to be monitored closely and always used in combination with other drugs, such as mood stabilizers or antipsychotics, to avoid causing a manic episode.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy