Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Hase any one got trouble with a bad temper?
And if so how do you control it i am open to any tips
I have also been told by my doctor that i have ...

Does anyone else find listening to rain really relaxing?

I feel very sad:(?
Any suggestions on how to make me feel better?
thanks....

Why men always think they are smarter than women?

Suicide or not?
i'm feeling very suicidal right now and need someone to talk to.
my family call me fat all the time and i weight 110 pounds and i'm bulimic too ( eating disorders run in my family )

What do you think happens after suicide?
if you committed suicide, but you believed in god, what do you think would happen? and assuming heaven and hell is real, do you think you could still go to heaven?...

How do you deal with thoughts of suicide?
Everything that could go wrong in my life has and i'm constantly plagued with suicidal thoughts. I've read other comments about this that say "take up a hobby" or something, but i&...

Are people really that gullible?

Does anyone else pull out their hair?
i pull out my hair and i think i have this condition called trichotillomania where you pull out your hair to relieve stress, and i was wondering if anyone else has this, and if they do, could they ...

I am thinking about suicide...help?
i have severe depression and major ODD. i cant get along with anyone in my family, i only have two good friends, and my medication does NOT work. im in DBT group and therapy but that dosent seem to ...

If you acheive only ONE dream before you die, what would you want it to be?

What do you do when your feeling low?
I've been feeling low the past few days, need to kick myself up the a*se and get out of it. Any suggestions?...

Plzz answer.Is it important to apologize when we do something wrong?
I never like to apologize to anyone eventhough i did something wrong.Is it a bad attitude?...

My boyfriend keeps stabbing me with a pencil...is this normal??
He's done it like 5 times in a row now. It's Ow! He just did it again! Why is he doing this?? OW! he won't stop! Help!!! Is he normal??...

Forms of self harm?
Should people who hit themselves, seek help as much as those who cut? Or should they keep quiet as its more likely to be ignored and it isn't as harmful?

I know many people think it�...

Gimme another word for a fart!?

Does the pain ever go away?
My aunt and best friend past away on 4-27-2007, and it's been very hard for me. Sometimes, I am in a good mood, thinking and laughing about the fun times we had, but then I realize she's ...

Does it make me gay if...?
I think Johnny Depp is attractive by the way i'm a guy and friggin love woman but does this make me gay or metro or what?
Additional Details

Why cant you people answer a serious question?
some people have no shame whatsoever..people are opening their hearts to you on this site, and some of you are pig ignorant, why dont you bloody grow up, and just think with your tiny little brains ...

I saw a really scary movie and now i'm a wreck. What do I do?
I absolutly hate scary movies and usually don't watch them. My cousin convinced me to watch the Skeleton Key at a little sleepover we had and said it was just a thriller and not scary in the ...

skippy
How do people deal with a fear of death?

doubled254
I am not afraid of dying in the slightest.
It happens to everyone, and all you can do is greet it and accept it when it comes looking for you.
I don't want to die by any means, but you have to accept that everyone, and everything dies.

funnynice2006
Rating
Whenever a baby is born he has accepted the death in course of time. It is very common that one day we will have to leave this world. Everyone should be prepared for it. There is nothing to fear. Only the thing that you have to be careful that you have done your duty properly for which you have come to this world.

chandni
I also started reading "Tibetan book of Living and Dying" after a couple of close relatives died and the book made me feel better...

its not the actual death i am afraid of, I am afraid of what I will die from! i wouldnt want to suffer too long or, at all, if possible! and the book i mentioned above does take you through the process of how you can achieve that!

Golden Ivy
Rating
Well some talk to loved ones and friends and some go see a therapist and some go see a psychologist and some see a psychiatrist and some just get over it or grow out of it once they find something for comfort so they do not remember their fear much anymore.

aristidetraian
Rating
do not worry, after you will die you will not fell any

recovering christian
best way is to have some kind of faith. not that i'm an advocate of religion... but my personal beliefs are that when you die, whatever you believed would happen to you will. your soul, if living on, will retain your subconcious belief system and bring you to a point that is closest to what you believed would happen. my belief is that i will go to a "heaven", basically, a place that my subconscious will create, with the option of returning to earth again if thats what i decide. watch "what dreams may come" its a really good picture of some very healthy belief systems

Dolores G. Llamas
Rating
Death is a normal part of life. If you believe in the afterlife, death is actually <birth> into the next life. The life beyond here is faaaaaar better than here; even the loftiest station in this plane of existence (physical world) isn't even a speck of dust in the lowest portion of Paradise. Death isn't scary, it's natural and beautiful. It's the beginning of a new and wonderful life, and is actually something to look forward to! Imagine, you'll get to see those who have passed before you. Death is not morbid at all, it's people who imagine it that way. I like to call it "passing" because the body dies, but the soul passes into the next life, it never dies, it lives forever, and is more alive after it passes from physical world into the next. "Passing" is beautiful, so please don't be afraid.

Of course, when it's our time to go, our survivors will miss us and grieve. However, they will see us again, so it's not a final separation, but a temporary necessity.

No worries. : ^)

starrygirl
Rating
live every day too the full and you wont fear death.

beth n
Rating
that all depeneds on the person some deal with it by crying some deal with it by holding it in some dont handal it at alll

Megs
Rating
It's completely normal to be afraid of death (to a certain degree). Unless you believe in some sort of afterlife, I don't think you can ever be completely rid of it.

The Tibetan book of Living and dying is an interesting read though for coming to terms with the idea.

Strives to be Something
Rating
Accept it as something that is a part of life, just as all the good and bad things in life are just a part of life.

YASHU
Rating
just enjoy the lifeeeeeeee

stillafeminist87
Try not to think about death.

It's really not a fear you can face, ya know?

:0)

chelseasmomhasgotitgoingon27
I am a christian, so i am not afraid of death. I know I am going to die someday. No I dont want to die today, but I know what I have waiting for me in heaven, and I know that my family and friends will be ok after i'm gone. I am at peace with my life and with death. gad has aplan for me and my life wether it be to live to 100 years or until my next birthday. I will just live day by day living my life the way it makes me happy.

naustin1969
Rating
First of all... I too share your fear... For me... it's not dying that scares me so much it's that unknown... of what happens after death. You grow up hearing that you either go to heaven or hell after death... well it's just that... where am I going to end up... heaven? or hell? I am older now and have realized that I've done some wild and crazy stuff not to mention stupid stuff as well... I now live my life for the good so that when I die, I'll die believing that I'm going to heaven... that helps ease my worries. Maybe this insight will help you a little... I'll give this more thought and let you know what I come up with... take care and good luck...

John B
Try to get your doctor to refer you for cognotive behaviour therapy, if you are obsessed with the fear.
Failing that, live for the day (carpe deum)!

bronx
I think a fear of death is probably a fear of the unknown,we can't picture what it will be like. When we are children we can't imagine ever being adult but because adults are all around us we know what to expect and therefore don't fear this next stage in our lives. Death is inevitable it is part of the circle of life but it is feared because no one knows what will happen to them when it occurs. Try not to fear it it is inevitable and we have to enjoy what time we have. I am much more scared about losing loved ones than dying myself.
If you are constantly thinking about death you could have obsessive compulsive thought disorder. Therapy or even medication can help.
Life is a journey we have to take enjoy!!!!!

stella9everytime
Rating
Unfortunately, (or fortunately, which ever way you look at it,) we are all programmed to die. However, I find that a positive belief that I am going to somewhere better, helps me.

abuo l
Rating
by acepting the fact that it must come.

GrapeApe33
Think about the days before you were alive, not so bad...

Ollie
Thats the Million Dollar question its impossible to answer

robert d
Rating
Don't fear death.

Do the opposite which is to appreciate the life/time you have.

angel
Well my friend on-one really does, I'm scared of dieing. Also i have a very close friend who is dieing and i still can't acepcet it. Unfortunately it is one of those nasty things that happens to us all. Say the saying goes 'we are born for one purpose to die'.

KaSystemA8
Rating
No point in trying to convince someone there is no death, they will only truly believe when they find out for themselves. Have a ponder on this though. Big Bang 'theory'... then there's life infact there's YOU! So there was nothing, then, big bang and hey presto there's all that is... oh please... nothing comes from nothing, so it is far more likely that there has only ever been an always & always will be... death was but an idea/invention to ease the monotony of LIVING FOREVER. Well 'they' do say... ''no pain no gain''. As you become weary of this life, death will become a doorway... then its new adventures here we (i) come!!!

El Mariachi
Rating
I BELIEVE THIS IS FOOD FOR THOUGHT.....ENJOY!

Search
Shakespeare
Hamlet's Soliloquies (Part 1)

To be, or not to be: that is the question (3.1.64-98).

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer (65)
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks (70)
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil, (75)
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay, (80)
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life, (85)
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of? (90)
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pitch and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry, (95)
And lose the name of action.-- Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.

slings ] Some argue that "slings" is a misprint of the intended word, "stings." "The stings of fortune" was a common saying in the Renaissance. But in the context of the soliloquy, "slings" likely means "sling-shot" or "missile." This seems in keeping with the reference to "arrows" - both can do great harm.

outrageous fortune ] Fortune is "outrageous" in that it is brazenly defiant.

And by opposing end them ] If you cannot suffer the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" then you must end your troubles with suicide.

consummation ] End. Eternal silence is the consummation so "Devoutly to be wish'd" for.

rub ] Problem, difficulty. The term comes from lawn bowling, where the "rub" is any obstacle, usually uneven ground, that pushes the ball off course.

shuffled off this mortal coil ] To separate from one's body (mortal coil = body).

respect ] Consideration. What happens to us during "that sleep of death" is something we all contemplate.

calamity of so long life ] The terrifying thoughts of what will happen to us in the afterlife are reason enough to endure the hardships of this life for so long.

time ] Time = temporal life.

his quietus make ] Settle his own account.

bare bodkin ] A "mere dagger." Bodkin was a Renaissance term used to describe many different sharp instruments, but it makes the most sense here to assume Shakespeare meant a dagger.

fardels ] Burdens.

No traveller returns ] Since Hamlet has already encountered his father's ghost this line has raised much debate. There are four major current theories regarding this line: 1) Shakespeare made an egregious error and simply failed to reconcile the appearance of the ghost and Hamlet's belief that human beings do not return; 2) Hamlet has earlier suspected that the ghost might be a devil trying to trick him (2.2.600), and therefore, at the point in the play where he delivers this soliloquy, he does not believe his father truly has returned; 3) Hamlet is referring only to human beings returning in the flesh and not as mere shadows of their former selves; 4) the entire soliloquy is misplaced and rightfully belongs before Hamlet has met his father's ghost. In my estimation, theory number four seems the most plausible in light of the many irregularities among the three extant texts of the play (for example, Hamlet's final soliloquy appears in Q2 but not in the First Folio). I am inclined to discount theory number two simply because Hamlet would likely not be so certain that "no traveller returns" after he has proof that something exists beyond this world, whether it be the ghost of his father or an evil spirit.

bourn ] Limit or boundary.

conscience ] Obsolete Thought; consciousness.

native hue of resolution ] Plainly, "the natural color of courage" is fiery red. Hamlet believes excessive contemplation paralyzes our ability to take necessary action and turns men into cowards. The face of cowardice is sickly pale. Note how Hamlet's description corresponds to the Renaissance belief in the four humours.

great pitch and moment ] Of momentous significance. The "pitch" was the name given to the highest point in a falcon's flight before it dives down to catch its prey.

With this regard their currents turn awry ] A reference to the sea and its tides: "Because of their thoughts, their currents become unstable."

Soft you now ] "But hush!". Hamlet hears Ophelia begin to pray and he must cut short his private ponderances.

Nymph ] See commentary below.

orisons ] Prayers.

COMMENTARY

Unlike Hamlet's first two major soliloquies, the third and most famous speech seems to be governed by reason and not frenzied emotion. Unable to do little but wait for completion of his plan to "catch the conscience of the king", Hamlet sparks an internal philosophical debate on the advantages and disadvantages of existence, and whether it is one's right to end his or her own life. Some scholars limit Hamlet's discussion to a deliberation of whether he should take his own life. "Yet nothing anywhere in the speech relates it to Hamlet's individual case. He uses the pronouns 'we' and 'us', the indefinite 'who', the impersonal infinitive. He speaks explicitly of 'us all', of what 'flesh' is heir to, of what 'we' suffer at the hands of 'time' or 'fortune' - which serves incidentally to indicate what for Hamlet is meant by 'to be'" (Jenkins 489). Hamlet asks the question for all dejected souls -- is it nobler to live miserably or to end one's sorrows with a single stroke? He knows that the answer would be undoubtedly "yes" if death were like a dreamless sleep. The "rub" or obstacle Hamlet faces is the fear of "what dreams may come" (74), i.e. the "dread of something after death" (86). Hamlet is well aware that suicide is condemned by the church as a mortal sin.

Hamlet's soliloquy is interrupted by Ophelia who is saying her prayers. Hamlet addresses her as "Nymph", a courtly salutation common in the Renaissance. Some critics argue that Hamlet's greeting is strained and coolly polite, and his request that she remembers him in her prayers is sarcastic. However, others claim that Hamlet, emerging from his moment of intense personal reflection, genuinely implores the gentle and innocent Ophelia to pray for him.

Amanda Mabillard

graham l
do something that's makes you fear death.....ie... tight rope walking...bunji jumping..you will appreciate life more..

?
well, i don't think that they can get over it until they accually see someone close to them die. like i was afriad of death until i saw my grandma lieing there died. so i think that is how to get over it.

Sciman
Rating
1) luck 2) talking to other people 3) being with other people who are dying (No 3 is my mother's speciality.) 4) A religious belief may help some people. 5) Many people may not be afraid of death, so much as of the process of dying, which could be painful. To deal with this, I try to be healthy physically and healthy right now. 6) Interesting are happeing around us all the time. Look out, not in. Inside is an apparent vacuum, outside is other people.

Revolution Now
Rating
Death is when you join your ancestors.

I am not scared AT ALL.

What worries me though is the people that are left upset and lost because I am gone.

We all meet up again one day in spirit though and sometimes when we dream, INCLUDING daydream.

You will see!!

Lone Gunmin
By dying.

Peaches
Rating
my husband doesn't understand it either he's like things are so much better on the other side ( i dont go to church) I dont believe it, the thought of not seeing the people i love my son, his kids his grand kids my friends never seeing them never being here its awful,.....its scary. BUT i try not to think about it i take things one day at a time and live everyday as the best day of my life. I do things w/ my family and my son.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy