Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

I saw a really scary movie and now i'm a wreck. What do I do?
I absolutly hate scary movies and usually don't watch them. My cousin convinced me to watch the Skeleton Key at a little sleepover we had and said it was just a thriller and not scary in the ...

Would you turn in your own sister if she was abusing her children?
I did...I spoke up...and now I am the bad guy in the family. I still think that I did the right thing. By the way, the abuse was of a mental/psychological and verbal nature, and I would catagorize ...

What was the last thing that scared you?

Dads funeral at 2pm how do i keep it together?
scared of breaking down big time and embarrassing ...

My mom dosent like me.Is it my fault?
My mom hates me.She scolds me everytime.I am 17 years old,good at studies and i never did any wrong things in my life.My mom says i am not so good looking but i think i am beautiful.She irritates me ...

How can i be happy ??

Whats the point of life?
At an all time low, health problems, friend problems, job problems, seriously what is the reason. I know there is no set answer, but good to hear some views. Happy new year all and 10 points for best ...

Does anyone else find it scary when they think 'one day im going to die ?'?
I think about this every day, some days it doesnt seem to matter but other days its so scary it panics me .... anyone else feel this way ?...

What to do when ur scared a beaten everyday but no one believes u?

Dropping out of school?
I don't want to drop out, i want to get through the next year and be happy that i've finished.
But sometimes i get really overwhelmed with everything and i just start to think "W...

Why are some people more shy than others?
Is it self-esteem problems from child hood and their peers or is it just the way they are?...

I have a drug problem?
part of me wants help, the other part doesnt want to at all and knows that if i do go to rehab or anything i would relapse again anyways.

I would go to rehab to at least try, but i'm ...

Why is it that when you have everything, you can still be depressed?
Its strange, the past year of my life has been great. Plenty of freinds, havent lost a fight for a long time and im drunk all the time.
But i always make wrong desicions and i think im worried ...

Is there anything worst than death?

Im 16 years old. Is wrong/weird for a kid my age to be attracted to women who are 35 to 55 years old?
I also have fantasies about them. Is this wrong/weird?? Please IM me on yahoo messenger... Its slickk_n_...

Do you agree that alcoohol is more dangerous than marijuana?

Can anyone tell me a good reason to stay alive?
A really good reason, explain please....
Additional Details
I dont give a damn who cares or not, just give me a reason......

I want to quit smoking but I always seem to fail! Does anybody have any tips?
I want to quit smoking to save money and for the sake of my health but every time I give up i get paranoid and angry at the slightest thing! I think half of it is all in my head, I convince myself ...

Today is the first day of the rest of my life?

Can suicide ever be a rationally considered logical alternative...?
Most people contemplate suicide out of depression or fear or some extreme emotional condition. But what if someone wasn't being emotional, wasn't suffering any clinical or medical condition,...

blackhoodielove
Does anyone else pull out their hair?
i pull out my hair and i think i have this condition called trichotillomania where you pull out your hair to relieve stress, and i was wondering if anyone else has this, and if they do, could they tell me about it?
Additional Details
hey thanks everyone.
i know i need to go to a doctor but my mom doesnt like taking me to doctors for some reason...
i used to pull it so much that i had bald spots but i got myself to stop for a while but im doing it again and its annoying cause when the hair grows back its all short >.<

and to answer one question, no its doesnt hurt.
i pull one hair at a time and it kinda makes me feel better for a sec.

Aimee ;]
I've heard of it before, an old soccer friend of mine has a mother that pulled out all of her hair.

I don't think you should ask about it on here. I'd tell a doctor, because people on here aren't always right and you don't want anything happening to you, and it's a medical condition and a person with a medical condition this serious shouldn't be here, they should be at the doctor. Good luck.

Mabel N
yes i do whenever there's a big exam and i get fustrated....so that's like venting my aner at my hair
but i kinda regret it coz my hair will hav split-ends after that....

girleygirl97
No i do not pull out my hair to re leave stress you should consider going to a doctor and having you put on pills or getting a new technique to re leave stress. You should also reasearch the condition on the enternet.

Allan E
i dont pull my hair but i rub the crap out of it when im stressed

they call me kim
just try not to pull your hair out. try a stress ball or something

mizreid_0701
I have a friend who pulls out her eyelashes. She does it when she gets nervous or when she gets stressed. But I don't really think that it is that uncommon. Maybe you should see a doctor to give you some anxiety pills. It will probably help you chill out and not be so stressed. Good luck honey!!!

Rachel _Not_Idiot
Rating
I pull it out sometimes, I did it quite a bit when I was waiting for my final uni results (which were excellent). I'm more of a skin-picker, though.

the guy
Rating
never heard of it

Love!!
Rating
No, I don't BUT I do have friends that does that really.
Everytime she would be under alot of pressure & stress she would just start yanking out her hair.I feel bad for her & ppl the do that because they cannot help that, but there is medication for that & i think u should make an appointment for that, and I would also recommend you seeing a therapist. It will be ok

just me
Rating
i pull out my eyebrows to relive stress but i went to this site to find out more i hope this helps!

jojo46580
Rating
Yes. I know someone who does this. They have done it all of their life, as long as they can remember. As they have gotten older it has been a source of stress and shame for them. They seen a therapist, who says that the condition stems from something traumatic from their childhood, perhaps that they do not even remember. They are working on dealing with it. They kept it hid from their family and friends for years and years, knowing that most people would not understand it.

I feel for you. There is help out there. Keep asking until you get your questions answered. This is more common than one may think, as most people who have it do not talk about it.

cards6416
I've heard of it. A girl I know did it when she was younger [horrible family issues] and did it to almost where she needed a wig. She never did though. Shes since stopped but it never grew back .

casey l
yeah i have had it before, i didnt know it was called anything i would pull out the hair from my gotti when i was in stressful situations. I stopped after i got myself away from the stress. may need to go see a doctor about getting on some medication if its day to day and nothing impaticular causing it.

je.lyn128
Rating
I sit in my car and pull out a few pieces before I leave. I do this whenever I get in a car that I am driving. I can also stand in front of the mirror for hours choosing peices to pull out - but never in large amounts. I am not sure why I do it though. Maybe your doctor could help ? Good luck.

Dogchic
Rating
Trichotillomania is a type of compulsive behavior. This means that people with the condition feel an overwhelming urge to pull their hair. People with trichotillomania also may have other compulsive habits, such as nail biting or skin picking. Some people with trichotillomania also have problems like depression, anxiety, or obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).

People with this disorder usually try to hide the behavior from other people, and this can make it difficult to get help. Having trichotillomania can affect how people feel about themselves. Some people are self-conscious about how hair pulling affects their appearance. Because of this, they might feel less confident about making friends or dating. Others might feel powerless to control the urge to pull or blame themselves for not being able to stop. Feelings like these can cause a person's self esteem to suffer.

It is very important that you seek help in extinguishing this self-destructive behavior. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step. It is up to you to get the help you need to live a normal life and to be able to develop healthy relationships with others. I wish you the best in your pursuits to reclaim the power in your life!

Kerie K
I knew a girl who had that condition. You need to see a psychiatrist or psychologist. I It is not so rare that they won't know what you are talking about. The main thing is that you need to learn behavior modification, it's kind of simple actually. You just need to learn to replace that behavior with a healthy alternative so you don't end up resorting to worse behaviors to relieve stress. Best wishes, I hope you get this sorted out soon :)

Eric N
Rating
I had that in 7th grade except for it was with my eyelashes, so for a few months, I had none, until I grew out of the habit which I'm very glad I did because it was so embarrassing, and I've been told I have cute eyelashes for a guy. :D

urface
Rating
well u should see a doctor because if you pull your hair out and youre aware of it than u probably do have it

ceiiiba
I don't have it but i've heard of it.

When you want to pull out your hair, try to focus on doing something else that might make you fell just as better, like screaming in a pillow. Or clench your fists or something so you cant.

Oracle
Rating
Many years ago when I was in Middle School, there was a young lady whose father was in Vietnam. If you didn't live then, you can't imagine the times. They were so very turbulent and we grew up eating dinner with that war on TV for years. She loved her dad and was extremely stressed and she suffered from this same condition. I hope you are able to get adequate help and medication to deal with your problem. There are some heartless, immature people in the world and a good number of them lurk here looking for someone to smart off to anonymously. Trust God and ask Him and He will help you.

Mary
Rating
yea my mom does but she just puts her hair out.. just wear a hat or put in a head band or she bobbypins back the hair she pulls out

Tina C
it's like cutting yourself. seek professional help

donesod1
Rating
no, but I think you might have trichotillominia, but I guess after a while it might feel good to a person, cause your so used to pulling out your hair

El Pajaro Loco
Rating
hey there, you're right about the name, trichotillomania. It's a self harming behavior with a special name because it's so specific. I'm concerned about your mom's attitude towards getting you help. The fact that you pull out your hair could be because you're mom isn't giving you the validation you need on a daily basis. People tend to create a problem or make themselves sick when they don't get what they need. We all need to feel love and belonging, we all need to have our feelings validated. In your case, do you feel free to express your thoughts and opinions? Do you feel respected?

If it doesn't happen at home, find some good friends or a teacher or a school counselor to talk to about your day to day thoughts. Just like it's important to eat good foods and stay in shape, it's also important to keep your mind healthy by talking and sharing with other people.

The next time you feel like pulling your hair, stop for a moment and try another activity to calm down. Take a bath for instance, or play music, dance, sing outloud, or one that I love, take a piece of ice from the freezer, and let it melt in your hand all the way. Coping skills are basically activities that you enjoy that engage your senses enough to distract you from the feelings of pain.

if all else fails, please visit your school counselor for help. they are trained to help in these kind of situations.

bye for now.

ts
Rating
I don't, however I have recently had experience with this through my friends relative, this is actually not an entirely uncommon condition (and it is a condition not an illness, very BIG difference) It tends to manifest between the ages of 6-25 and people who are prone to anxiety or are suddenly thrust into very stressful situations develop this habit. If you look up trichotillomania you'll find there's tons of information (online support groups and blogs if that's something you are interested in)
This is just a symptom of stress it's the stress that needs to be removed and the hair pulling will follow. take care :)

zzkay2000
Well, I don't know if we are talking about the same thing or not but I'm gonna look that condition up in a little bit. Anyways, I have been playing with my hair since I was probably four and I make it into knots and then pull it out. This sounds crazy but whenever I get stressed out or am thinking about something I start doing that. I always get yelled at by my family because I break my hair off but I cannot explain the feeling that it gives me. Like I said, I dunno if we are talking about the same thing but I'm gonna go look it up. :o)

michaelkirchgessner
Rating
my gf's counsin or something has that same problem so i guess ur not the only one. she has to wear hair pieces. she got it when she was in her preteens and she's a senior in high school now

alexis:)
sweetheart, please go to a doctor because this is serious and could leave you bald which no one wants.

i researched it a bit for you here are some good websites:
http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/mental_health/trichotillomania.html
http://www.trich.org/index.asp
http://www.trichotillomania.co.uk/
http://www.nmha.org/go/information/get-info/trichotillomania (this one is the best)

okay sweetie stay strong and talk to us more if you are having a hard time dealing with your problem ...

xoxox
alexis

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy