Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

I am 27 Years old and I am Getting Braces..Do they Hurt ??
I finally got some good insurance to get braces. I am getting the traditional ones but with white locks so they blend in with my teeth more. What I was wondering is if it hurts to get them put in. ...

How make your teeth white and shine?

Is a deep hole normal that traps food after wisdom tooth extraction?

Flossing...?
Does anyone actually floss everyday? I do but I think I'm in the minority....

Which recreational drugs damage teeth and gums?

Can I die from Vicodin?

White teeth?
I need to get white teeth fast for a modeling photoshoot and I am wondering how can I get white teeth fast without white strips. I also brush my teeth everyday but it doesnt ...

Tooth pain after a root canal?
I got a root canal on my tooth I never got a cap but on it ... three years ago I got the root canal a year after the root canal i started to feel some pain in the tooth , I told my dentist he said ...

Bad Breath?
I have had bad breath all my life. i brush my teeth twice a day for 4 minutes and i floss twice a day too. and i still have bad breath. i have found no solution, can someone tell me if u had this ...

My bottom left wisdom tooth has a cavity in it. But, it has not totally come out of my gums. how to stop pain?
I can see the thing, and I want to get it worked on. but I have to save up since I work retail (woo hoo minimum wage! yeah!)
But, it hurts like hell what can I do (besides brush) to stop it from ...

Describe your teeth?

I have a tooth ache!!?
The Dr. said that I was clinching, maybe because of stress!!! Have any good ideas for me??!!...

How do I cure ulsers?
Well I often get ulsers in my mouth which stops me from simple things like talking, eating, breathing in the wind, and more

so does anyone have any cure for them apart from bonjela?...

Would you go out with someone with whitesh yellowish teeth?
if they were very sweet and there breath didnt stink?...

Why do you go back to smoking after 3 months of agony to quit?

How does your gums feel or look after getting your braces off?
My dentist told me before I got my braces taken off that my gums will feel funny. She also advised me to brush under the gums for a least a month before going for a cleaning. I just got the braces ...

How many times a day do you brush your teeth?

How sore is your mouth after you get braces?

Brown teeth ---> how to make them white without going to dentist?
I just can't afford it right now.
I brush my teeth everyday once a day.. but it doesn't help....

How does oral surgery for impacted tooth feel?

loopylout
My Dentist has changed me from an NHS patient to a private patient. Can he do this?
I had to go for an urgent root canal and the total charge at the end was £200. I was an nhs patient and the dentist still takes on new nhs patients but he told me I'm no longer an nhs patient with them. I missed an appointment previously and wondered if he has the right to do this because of that? I've looked up on the net to see what the charges should be on the nhs and I know that even though I'm working I am entitled to nhs treatment. Can't seem to find any rules or guidelines on whether a dentist can decide to change you from nhs to private though.

Please let me know asap as I'm due to pay the £200 this week and I don't want to pay that much if I should be entitled to nhs charges still.

Many thanks, Lou

johnstone4192
Rating
buy a cheap flight to poland and have your dental work done there.. much better care and very cheap

Bexs
Rating
My dentist did this years ago. To register you as a private patient - probably under Denplan you have to be dental fit - i.e all outstanding work on your teeth should be done - you then get an assessment and he will tell you which band of private care you all into - this depends on your previous dental history. So for instance, as I have only ever had a couple of fillings, I am the second from the cheapest cover - if I had had lots of work done I would have been on a more expensive scale. I pay about £17 a month which includes free hygenist (clean and polish), free fillings, I have had two top of the range ceramic crowns fitted and only paid the lab fees of about £50 for each - I find private health care cheaper than the NHS system - I had to pay for my hygenist and some towards my filling before. You need to speak to the dentist regarding the £200 fee - it seems grossly unfair to change your status without telling you - I had months of notice in writing.

Happihawkeye
Rating
I don't think he can just do that.

I missed two appointments due to my little boy being ill. They removed us both from the register. But when I went to rebook I explained the situation, and they put us back on again.

I think you should fight this. I am not sure of the legality of it all but maybe the CAB can point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Margaret C
Rating
Yes they can I'm afraid.

No dentist has to treat anyone as an NHS patient, and you are no longer registered with a dentist under the new NHS guidelines laid down a year ago, so basically it is up to the dentist whether or not they wish to provide you with NHS treatment or not. You are not entitled to NHS treatment.

If you missed an appointment you have wasted your dentist's time, and they probably don't feel that you are entitled to NHS treatment anymore, especially as dentists now have a limit as to how much work they can provide each year and are having to ration it in many instances.

There is no point in contacting the citizens advice bureau.

On the other hand, you should have been informed when you booked the appointment that it would be a private appointment, and before treatment you should have been given an estimate as to how much the treatment was likely to cost you.

deborahballard1@btinternet.com
if you were having treatment done before he told you this then you pay the nhs rate if he told you after and you still went ahead with treatment then its the private rate why has he changed you to a private patient please be careful as a lot of dentist try and rip you of .if you was already a nhs patient he cant just take you of the books there must be a reason ask him why and good luck .please note anyone living in uk weaher working or not is allowed nhs thats why people pay national insurance and tax

3asal
Rating
why did u fail ur appointment in the first place u cant just attend an appointment in pain only and expect dentists to oblige u its not fair on other patients who are regular attenders. there is a shortage of dentists and the NHS service is available so dont abuse it or else u will lose the privilege and be charged privately .

louiseaap1
Rating
No they can not change you over with not your permission, the dentist may change over from nhs to private but you will be informed straight away. go to your local citizens advice beauru and get advice on this.

Spence
Rating
Well yes a dentist can switich you from an NHS patient to a private patient but he has to tell you that he has done so and give you a reason for his decision. He can not carry out treatment and then say you are being charged for private treatment. By right a dentist should tell you beforehand how much it will cost before carrying out any kind of treatment.

I would refuse to pay on the grounds that he did not tell you that he had switiched you to a private patient and given you a reasonable explanation as to why. And also on the grounds that you were not told it would cost £200 before treatment was carried out. I would pay only what root canal costs on the NHS which I believe is currently £43.60 under the new payment NHS system.

wflspc
Rating
I think they have to ask you first and you then need to make a decision. They can do some work on the NHS and say then that it won't cover the full treatment and private is the only option. Root canal treatment is nearer £350 plus the filling and if a crown then that's extra too.

anne b
Rating
well in the uk now it is very hard to get into a nhs dentist ,if you miss your appointment without letting them know they take you off there list so you are no longer regestered as nhs patient.so yes they put you then as private patient.all you can do then is wait to see if they take any more on nhs then get regestered again.

MANCHESTER UK
Hello Lou

The Dentist must inform you before treatment begins if you have been move to his private list.
Missing an appointment without letting the Dentist know is one reason they give for removing patients from the NHS List so you might not have seen the notice displayed in the Surgery. Take a look around the waiting room before you say anything out of order.

Look for another NHS dentist now if you cannot go back on the current dentist's list.

john bee
simple do you want your teeth taken care off

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy