Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Is it normal?
is it normal to be your own worst enemy? like, i hear a voice in my head thats a little like mine, but it trys to get me to do stuff, like, asking out a girl, or doing something crazy-uber. i dont ...

Does MADNESS prevent INSANITY??
I know you may think i'm contradicting myself, but if you think about it.....Those people who are a little mad in their daily lives, like doing stupid acts and unexpected things such as doing a ...

Are anti-depressants really the answer?
I have been going through some really difficult times with my marriage, my family and myself for some time.
My wife and I have been seeing different psychologists plus we go to two different ...

Ok so what do u think of cutting if it is not done for attention, not done to kill ones self...read more.....?
okay so like if someone had been cutting only they did it like on their stomachs or somewhere where clothes covered it and someone accidentaly saw it and they said that the cutter had been doin it ...

Can a person with Down Syndrome play an instrument?

Is it safe to just double my medication?
I take anti-depressant Efexor (xl) 150mg daily but I feel really low. Is it safe to just double my dose until I can get to a doctor?
Thanks....

I have a question for anyone who has dealt with people who cut themselves?
i work with a girl with this problem. she's 23, i'm 47. help me understand why she does this! she talks about it a little. she denied that she still does it, but recently admitted that ...

How can i avoid that awful sunday evening pre - work depression?
sunday afternoons are always spend feeling down + preparing for another boring week at work
is there a way around this?...

Used to have excellent memory but now just forget stuff easily what should i do?

Can't seem to get out my depression?
Im 19 and I've been feeling very low for too long now and have been secluding myself from all my friends for about 2 months. my parents have been my rock during the 2months and my two sisters ...

Any ideas on how to become more confident?

Additional Details
I am not really that ugly or so people tell me and i have a bunch of friends, just with myself i feel bad about myself....

How Can I Make My Life Better?

Sucide? Please help! Some ones life is in danger!?
Okay. Last year (Novembersish) I found out that one of my best friends were cutting. And these were not thin little knife marks they were very large and looked as if she were trying to skin her ...

I just passed my driving test today, first attempt?
I got 8 minors, I had been learning for 5 months

Who want's to congratulate me??

T...

I've been prescribed with Citalopram by my Doc for my social anxiety. Has anyone had this work for them?

How do u cope with major depression and suicide thoughts can't seem to get a grip on it?
have been diagnosed and receive treatment but don't feel as if i'm getting ...

Psychologist?
I had been to see a Psychologist and had therapy for 2 years and it ended last Christmas. I wanted to go back to see her as I was having problems again but Mental Team said No. Once you have had your ...

Can your brain explode from boredom?
or would that make it implode?...

Non Medication Aides for Anxiety?
I'm trying to take the non-medication road to healing my panic and anxiety (seeing as how all the meds they put me on for that just THROW me into panic attacks). I was wondering what other ...

Should i tell my mother about my bulimia?
i've been bulimic for 4 years now. but sometimes i get better but it always comes back. i haven't purged in 2 weeks now and i think i'm getting better. but still i know i'm not ...

pin ball
Why am i depressed? is it because there are things i cant change? or is it because im ill?
to clarify. would i be depressed if everything was ok.. so am i just p*ssed off?
Additional Details
you lovely kind people thanks. i cant do anti depressants. im fighting it . sometimes i win most times i dont i'll keep fighting it.

ThrockGrl
Rating
i dont think anybody who feels depressed is 'ill' and YES it is something you can change. i hate to hear about people taking anti-depressants because i don't believe they work. ive tried a few and none of them ever did anything. honestly, i think people convince themselves they work.

for me, excercise, eating right, waking up and getting up early, and staying in touch with those you care about can cure depression.

Dr Frank
Rating
Many patients need to have a cry in the surgery, it is nothing to be ashamed of. I admit though that I know colleagues who don't cope well with patients who burst into tears, so I also understand why you are keen to avoid it.

You have not given any real details of your problem, however it is generally true that many patients with problems of low mood can be helped by counselling or psychotherapy rather than pills and this may be an option for you.

There is a famous poem that helps us with things we can't change. It is called the Serenity Prayer.

God grant me the serenity to
accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it:

Trusting that He will make all things
right if I surrender to His Will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him forever in the next. Amen

Abra M
Rating
one word XANAX.
works wonders.

Mia
Rating
Poor you. I was shaking when I told my gp that I thought I was depressed. I tired my best not to cry and managed not to, though I did when at the hospital.

kelsey
Rating
There could be a lot of reasons for your depression. I feel like most problems in our health can be solved by changes in our diet and lifestyle (healthy foods and exercise), spiritual life, and emotional habits. Try assessing different areas of your life and, perhaps, seek some help from a nutritionist or counselor. If you feel like you need additional help, see a doctor or psychiatrist. However, to me, the idea of being on medication for life is depressing in itself and most people don't need it. Maybe this is just a season in your life when you are facing some hard things and growing. Nobody is happy always!

Ann S
Rating
There's really not enough info. here.

jane l
Rating
Dear Katie,
Crying is part of a release to help you and something Drs are used to so don't worry about that.The important thing is to summon up all your will power and make an appt to go see one as soon as possible.Take a friend or one of the family with you.It's worth it to make yourself better and you will look back and think it was all a bad dream one day.Sometimes in life we do need help from others even though we may think we already know the all answers,I'm afraid we don't! it will make you a stronger person eventually even though it's tough going at the moment so be brave,pluck up courage and do something positive to put it right.Good luck and I know you can do it.

catherine h
Rating
please go to www.ilovemeinc.com. read it, do what it says. it may change your life. it changed mine.

Dolly Blue
Rating
Maybe a bit of both ?, maybe you are not feeling able to cope well with the things you can't change because you are not fully fit.
If we are at our best mentally and physically we can cope better with what life throws at us.
If we are not well, run down, we haven't the energy to cope and so become depressed.
I hope you feel better soon !!!!

Bexs
M@rz has the right idea. EVERYBODY feels down, fed up, bored, lethargic, dispondent, experience nasty or dark thoughts. It's the human condition. The good news is that we also get some highs, laughter, positive thoughts, feeling wonderful, etc etc. We seem to be in a constant pursuit for the "perfect life" where we all feel 100%, 100% of the time - it's impossible to achiever and is not the real world. Antidepressents are not the answer, they have side effects like making you feel spacey and tired, lethargic etc - just like depression!. Try some exercise, positive thinking and fresh air!

vtskigirl417
I believe people get depressed for many different reasons. Some that can be controlled and others that are out of their hands. The only people that can determine that is you and doctors. If you feel you are depressed see a professional they will let you know if you need help with your depression or if you can control it yourself. I hope everything works out, good luck!!

Rags
Rating
depression itself is an illness. if you are feeling a little down then that is just p*ssed off. depression is very different.

Saudi Geoff
Rating
Poor Katie. Take up an interest in life and become involved. You wouldn't get time to get depressed. Have you considered Voluntary Work?

Rachellie
Rating
If you can accept the things you cant change, you can be a lot happier, however you may have a touch of depression. Go chat with your doc. There the best people to diagnose this illness. Good Luck. xx Nice one Sweething......... only it starts with God, why would you miss that?

M@rz
Rating
you are just feeling too low and not nice...want 2 run away, don't feel like talking to anyone. Trust me that happens to me sometimes usually because of weather or when I am just tried of my life everyday schedule and want to do something different. Just try to feel better, i do that by doing shopping, watching movies, going out cinemaz or somewhere outing like chilling or dining out. Firstly just 4get all your worries back of ur mind and just try 2 enjoy

♪Elanessea♪
Rating
Hm.. Good question.. I've actually asked myself the same thing! What you can do is take antidepressants, that's what I'm doing. I don't know if it's helping or not.. As weird as that sounds.. But people around you might be able to tell. Ask a doctor. They will probably give you some medicine and then they'll probably try to find out ways to lower your stress levels.

Good luck :)

suziejoy
Rating
grant me the serenity to accept the thing i cannot change courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to know the difference
let go of your baggage hon and get out in the open air listen to the bird song and keep things simple

Phil K
Rating
In all honesty, I think a lot of peoples' depression is caused by them being overly-aware and fixating on it. The fact that you're talking about it on Yahoo answers is a clear sign that you're worried about it. (Not that that's wrong!). Ultimately, if your situation is particularly severe then go and see a professional- doctor, nurse, therapist, counsellor. It's what they're there for and you can say anything you want to them without fear that they'll ever tell anyone else or think badly of you. Go, talk and enjoy it. You'll feel a lot better offloading your worries on someone you're not involved with (and you don't have to feel bad because they're getting paid to listen to you and get you the best possible help).

There again, think about it this way- if you didn't have time to sit at your computer and write this question (because your life were busier and more fulfilling), would you be feeling as low? Probably not.

Can I suggest writing yourself a list of things you want to do in the next ten years of your life (or even things you want to do before you die). Have as many things on there as you like- big things like going sky-diving or exploring the pyramids of Egypt to little things like learning how to bake really f*cking good cakes and visit a museum you've never gotten around to seeing. Make it your goal to plan to do one or more of these things every so often- that way you'd know exactly where you're heading and what you need to do to get there. If your life's busy (in a good way) then you'll be happy. You can stop and look at what you've done and brag a little about it.

Start with something small-ish, like (sad, I know, but i've always fancied going paintballing. It's not that hard to do- I just have to make the effort and do it), achieve it and then do something else. Your life will be busy, you'll have some fun stories to tell, meet new people while you're doing each new activity and become a more interesting person. People will be interested in you because you'll be happy, busy, and knowing exactly what you want for yourself.

Give it a go.

PS: Can I also suggest that you don't bother too much with the above advice from a 'Dr' to say prayers. I've actually never met a genuine doctor who subscribes strongly to religion (i.e. enough to offer it as a solution to a mental health problem) and I think you'll be a lot happier doing something practical to become happy, rather than wallowing in it by saying prayers. Just my opinion, but there you go.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, March 29, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy