Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

I've been prescribed with Citalopram by my Doc for my social anxiety. Has anyone had this work for them?

How do u cope with major depression and suicide thoughts can't seem to get a grip on it?
have been diagnosed and receive treatment but don't feel as if i'm getting ...

Psychologist?
I had been to see a Psychologist and had therapy for 2 years and it ended last Christmas. I wanted to go back to see her as I was having problems again but Mental Team said No. Once you have had your ...

Can your brain explode from boredom?
or would that make it implode?...

Non Medication Aides for Anxiety?
I'm trying to take the non-medication road to healing my panic and anxiety (seeing as how all the meds they put me on for that just THROW me into panic attacks). I was wondering what other ...

Should i tell my mother about my bulimia?
i've been bulimic for 4 years now. but sometimes i get better but it always comes back. i haven't purged in 2 weeks now and i think i'm getting better. but still i know i'm not ...

Can parents be particularly detrimental to your mental health?
how damaging can these things called 'parents' be? I remember a red dwarf episode in which people from the future finally proved that all our hang ups and neurosis were caused by our ...

Does anyone know any good anxiety/depression meds that really work? I'm on prozac and it don't work very well.

Please Help I have Anxiety and Panic Attacks everysingle day, it's destroying my entire life, what can I do???
I have been suffering from Anxiety and Socail Disorder for many Years now, I tried allot of thing to overcome it, but nothing worked. I have never taken medication for it because I am to afraid to ...

ABSOLUTLEY URGENT! PLEASE HELP, im really down and i feel like ending it, i beg you to help please?
i just lost my grandma, i have no family and fake friends. i feel i look terrible
http://photos-d.ak.faceb i have a ...

How do I get around to telling my mom that I am suicidal?

Additional Details
I've been suicidal for 5 or 6 ...

Do you think emos need metal help??
the ones who cut and hurt them selfs...
plz i wana know if my friend will get over this or if i should take action....

Is suicide the biggest sin?
just wondering will you go to hell for it
Additional Details
i'm bathist (i can't spell good)...

Need Answers !!?
I'm really close to this teacher in my school, I could trust her wth anything. She's helping me quit self harming, but I'm worried that it's putting her job at risk cause I know ...

What do you do to help relieve stress?
im always stress.. so can u guys give me an idea how u relieve it?...

How to not be gay???
Please help! And please don't just tell me to accept myself because ive tried,i cant and i wont,i cant be this way and need as much advice as possible. And if this is any help,im 14 and i dont ...

What do you do to help with stress?

Is this Normal thinking for a teen?
I know how dramatic this sounds but I feel as though no one understands me. I mean..for a teenager I'm very emotional and think about things in depth so much more then others and no one seems to ...

I am dying.?
I just hyperventilated and felt like i was dying...i could see the light....I'm dying inside and no one cares. Is this normal?
Additional Details
I just feel like giving up and ...

I dont want to grow up :(?
i feel like i haven thad a childhood and i was stripped opf my innocence at a very young age. now that i'm 19 and found someone who is like the mom i always wanted - just someone who would love ...

lifeistough_period
Ok so what do u think of cutting if it is not done for attention, not done to kill ones self...read more.....?
okay so like if someone had been cutting only they did it like on their stomachs or somewhere where clothes covered it and someone accidentaly saw it and they said that the cutter had been doin it just for attention.
how could that be possible for the cutter to have done it for attention if it has been hidden for so long and no one has ever seen it before?
but do u think cutting is okay as long as the person never goes too deep and it's like hidden and stuff?
i was just wondering.....

Kanesha D
Rating
What in the hell are you talking about??????????????

auntiegrav
Rating
Somebody needs to get a job in a butcher shop and get sick of doing it.

isis
People in tribes used to do things like that. Maybe it is an essential part of human development/evolution.

However, I think impulse control should be more important to the cutter . . .but (even?) Christians fail at times and then can repent.

I hope this is not an offensive answer to anyone. My intention is to be supportive of an activity that feels natural to a person while encouraging the leaving of it behind.

Also, I would be very careful, if you or anyone is going to do this to make sure not to cut yourself too deep (I hope I am not encouraging something illegal here; because I dont know if it is); because I empathed what it was like for a guy I met to try to kill himself by cutting his wrist(s) and it was VERY unpleasant and I dont think anyone wants to have to experience that

If I was having this impulse to cut myself frequently, I would try pinching myself (I have done this, it relieves emotional pain for me) .. .or scrape myself with something that will not actually cut me but will cause some pain but no physical damage.

Also if I was having this impulse but I was trying to stop, I would think of, well what if the scratches never heal? It could happen! What if they all open back up after healing and youre walking around leaking out all over the place . .. I have had some strange unexpected punishments from God and I wouldnt totally rule it out

Anyway, I think I at least somewhat understand where youre coming from and I hope I dont get in trouble for letting you know that . .but you probably should worry that someone might lock you up . . .maybe they wont for pinching yourself

loudnproud432
no it's still bad for you, there are too many jerms on the planet to make cutting good in anyway...besides if you want attention bad enough to cut yourself you need to talk to some one rather than hurting yourself- after all if no one giving you attention is hurting you already why should you hurt yourself anymore

nellie
Girlie, get yourself to a therapist. I don't mean to be nasty, but you are nuts. Cutting is caused by a psychological problem and if you are the cutter, you need help.

There is no such thing as not cutting too deeply. Whatever pain you are trying to obliterate by causing physical pain won't go away and you will just end up with a lot of scars physically and emotionally and possibly an infection to top it all off.

Get some help!

SereneSerenity
Rating
i think it's retarded and pointless trust me you will regret it later in life when you have a bunch of scars

KathieJo
Rating
Whoever is doing it...wherever it's being done, they need professional help. Cutting is not always done for attention....it is also seen as a very poor coping skill. Get help...or see that your friend does before things get worse. Good luck.

lylitalianbeauty
Well if you were just wondering it either means you're a cutter or someone (like a best friend) is a cutter. If you cut no matter where you cut, hidden or not, you desperately want to be caught because something is wrong and it's your way of feeling better but also your way of saying to everyone else that you're not ok and you need help. there are definitely underlying issues that need to be resolved and there are people to help you with that. I sincerely hope you don't cut but if you do or someone you know does then you need to get yourself or them help. Tell an adult you can trust.

jacob s
Rating
the only reason for this cutting is the pain inside has no face.no the cutting is not ok.the cutter is hurtting inside and does not or is afaid to share the hurt with anyone.the pain is real.the cutter needs a real friend somebody who really cares.

spunk113
Anyway you do it, it's still a sign of an underlying issue. That person should get some help.

suicideblonde
Rating
cutting is never ok. i think that most people do it not for attention, but because they think it makes them feel better. it is a sickness, an addiction.

frigidx
Rating
Cutting is never OK. It's an outward sign of an inward problem, no matter how shallow the cuts are. And obviously, the cuts were not in a very good hiding spot, because they were discovered. But that's irrelevant. This person is hurting, if not dying inside. They need counseling, ASAP. There are lots of therapists out there, and everything is kept totally confidential. Cutters cut to release all that pent up pain, anger, frustration and hurt. They have to learn to vocalize that pain. Speak about that anger. And it hurts to feel, but the dark grim reality is that they cannot continue on that way. If kept in too long, those shallow cuts will only get deeper.

missymac_2009
Rating
i cut. you commented on one of my questions.

i think everyone cuts for different reasons. i haven't discovered mine yet.

the exact thing happened to me though. i burn on my stomach a lot, and once my cheer coach saw it. that was bad. before long, it was all around the cheerleading squad how i cut myself to get everyone to feel sorry for me.

most people think it's done for attention because in today's society, self injury has become a fad that goes along with being "emo." Emo is a kind of music. Not a lifestyle. cutting wrists and such has become cool, whereas most people had never even heard of it. i have been self mutiliating since i was 6. so i dunno...

i don't think its okay. its horriby addicting and not something anyone should have to deal with. i wish i could stop. ive done everything i know to do.

if you are reading this and you don't cut, dont do it. dont try it. dont' think about it. it's not okay. none of this "don't go deep adn it's okay" crap. just don't get yourself into it.

Sidhe
I'm sorry, but some of these answers just make me want to run off and cut myself!!! I've had a problem with this for a long time, and I think one of the most important factors with someone who cuts themselves is shame. Shame and self-hatred (not all cutters but many, including me) fuel the need to relieve this self-inflicted stress. We do this by cutting. After we've cut ourselves, we're even more ashamed. Because we're so ashamed, we do it over and over again. It's a vicious, horrible cycle. It's sad and devastating that so many people have gone through what I have. But people are visual. What can't be expressed in the mind or through words often manifests on the body, just like an eating disorder. Just because someone isn't cutting too deep doesn't mean they might not slip up someday, and regardless of physical damage, self-injury does something to the mind. The damage ultimately goes to your mind, heart, and spirit. I don't even like using words like 'okay' or 'wrong' to describe things like this. That doesn't really matter to the cutter. It feels valid, it feels right, and most of us are just hanging on by a thread. We can't just 'quit' until we find something better to replace it, and that is a hard one because few things are as catching as self-injury.
So, no it is never healthy. It is never trivial. "Attention-seekers" who cut themselves do not exist. If all they really want is attention, or to be cool, the habit will not last...if anyone is doing it constantly, no matter where on their body they happen to do it, it is a serious issue. What is the need for attention, anyway? Is that really so petty or trendy? Everyone needs attention, it is usually someone's masked need for love and approval.
This is both my answer to your question and my reaction to so many uninformed questions that annoy me to no end.

I'm mostly referring to sarcastic little quips that are just a bit angry and stupid. Most of the answers to this question are really quite compassionate, but I have seen some incredibly snobbish opinions before, and I just don't understand the point of it.

rubymcgilvery
cutting is a sign of an underlying mental problem.people who cut usually has been mentally or physically abused, or they may have been raped. this is a dangerous action.the person who cuts has so much inner pain, and anguish they feel that causing the physical pain will relieve the inner pain, and hurtnthat they're feeling. this person needs to see a psychiatrist.

Chelle
Rating
Cutting on oneself, or self mutilation, is physically harmful and never okay. Whether is it being done for attention, to punish oneself, or to kill oneself, it is indication of mental illness and should be treated immediately either by a counselor or a psychiatrist, or both.
Research borderline personality disorder for further info....

kaye7
This person who cuts may want to try writing. What I mean is instead of cutting on yourself get an inkpen and any feelings you are having write them on yourself, put pressure on the pen if you need some pain, but dont puncture yourself.

cynthetiq
being a former cutter myself, I'll have to say that everyone has their own reasons. I cut myself to let out anger that I couldn't get out anywhere else AND because I wanted someone to notice it. Strangely enough, whenever someone DID notice, I immediately got on the defensive and hid the cuts more so... looking back it makes no sense to me now, but it made sense then.

Animal Lover
Rating
It can be hard to understand why people cut themselves on purpose. Cutting is what experts call an unhealthy coping mechanism. This means that the people who do it have not developed healthy ways of dealing with strong emotions, intense pressure, or upsetting relationship problems.

There are lots of good, healthy ways to cope with difficulties, such as talking problems over with parents, other adults, or friends; putting problems in perspective; and getting plenty of exercise. But people who cut haven't developed these skills. When emotions don't get expressed in a healthy way, tension can build up - sometimes to a point where it seems almost unbearable. Cutting may be an attempt to relieve that extreme tension. It's a confused way of feeling in control. That's one of the reasons why younger teens are more likely to cut.

The urge to cut might be triggered by strong feelings the person can't express - such as anger, hurt, shame, frustration, or depression. People who cut sometimes say they feel they don't fit in or that no one understands them. A person might cut because of losing someone close or to escape a sense of emptiness. Cutting might seem like the only way to find relief, or the only way to express personal pain over relationships or rejection.

People who cut or self-injure sometimes have other mental health problems that contribute to their emotional tension. Cutting is sometimes (but not always) associated with depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, obsessive thinking, or compulsive behaviors. It can also be a sign of mental health problems that cause people to have trouble controlling their impulses or to take unnecessary risks. Some people who cut themselves have problems with drug or alcohol abuse.

Some people who cut have had a traumatic experience, such as living through abuse, violence, or a disaster. Self-injury may feel like a way of "waking up" from a sense of numbness after a traumatic experience. Or it may be a way of reinflicting the pain they went through, expressing anger over it, or trying to get control of it.

1. Tell someone. People who have stopped cutting often say the first step is the hardest - admitting to or talking about cutting. But they also say that after they open up about it, they often feel a great sense of relief. Choose someone you trust to talk to at first (a parent, school counselor, teacher, coach, doctor, or nurse). If it's too difficult to bring up the topic in person, write a note.

2. Identify the trouble that's triggering the cutting. Cutting is a way of reacting to emotional tension or pain. Try to figure out what feelings or situations are causing you to cut. Is it anger? Pressure to be perfect? Relationship trouble? A painful loss or trauma? Mean criticism or mistreatment? Identify the trouble you're having, then tell someone about it. Many people have trouble figuring this part out on their own. This is where a mental health professional can be helpful.

3. Ask for help. Tell someone that you want help dealing with your troubles and the cutting. If the person you ask doesn't help you get the assistance you need, ask someone else. Sometimes adults try to downplay the problems teens have or think they're just a phase. If you get the feeling this is happening to you, find another adult (such as a school counselor or nurse) who can make your case for you.

4. Work on it. Most people with deep emotional pain or distress need to work with a counselor or mental health professional to sort through strong feelings, heal past hurts, and to learn better ways to cope with life's stresses. One way to find a therapist or counselor is to ask at your doctor's office, at school, or at a mental health clinic in your community.

Although cutting can be a difficult pattern to break, it is possible. Getting professional help to overcome the problem doesn't mean that a person is weak or crazy. Therapists and counselors are trained to help people discover inner strengths that help them heal. These inner strengths can then be used to cope with life's other problems in a healthy way.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, March 29, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy