Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

I have a question for anyone who has dealt with people who cut themselves?
i work with a girl with this problem. she's 23, i'm 47. help me understand why she does this! she talks about it a little. she denied that she still does it, but recently admitted that ...

How can i avoid that awful sunday evening pre - work depression?
sunday afternoons are always spend feeling down + preparing for another boring week at work
is there a way around this?...

Used to have excellent memory but now just forget stuff easily what should i do?

Can't seem to get out my depression?
Im 19 and I've been feeling very low for too long now and have been secluding myself from all my friends for about 2 months. my parents have been my rock during the 2months and my two sisters ...

Any ideas on how to become more confident?

Additional Details
I am not really that ugly or so people tell me and i have a bunch of friends, just with myself i feel bad about myself....

How Can I Make My Life Better?

Sucide? Please help! Some ones life is in danger!?
Okay. Last year (Novembersish) I found out that one of my best friends were cutting. And these were not thin little knife marks they were very large and looked as if she were trying to skin her ...

I just passed my driving test today, first attempt?
I got 8 minors, I had been learning for 5 months

Who want's to congratulate me??

T...

I've been prescribed with Citalopram by my Doc for my social anxiety. Has anyone had this work for them?

How do u cope with major depression and suicide thoughts can't seem to get a grip on it?
have been diagnosed and receive treatment but don't feel as if i'm getting ...

Psychologist?
I had been to see a Psychologist and had therapy for 2 years and it ended last Christmas. I wanted to go back to see her as I was having problems again but Mental Team said No. Once you have had your ...

Can your brain explode from boredom?
or would that make it implode?...

Non Medication Aides for Anxiety?
I'm trying to take the non-medication road to healing my panic and anxiety (seeing as how all the meds they put me on for that just THROW me into panic attacks). I was wondering what other ...

Should i tell my mother about my bulimia?
i've been bulimic for 4 years now. but sometimes i get better but it always comes back. i haven't purged in 2 weeks now and i think i'm getting better. but still i know i'm not ...

Can parents be particularly detrimental to your mental health?
how damaging can these things called 'parents' be? I remember a red dwarf episode in which people from the future finally proved that all our hang ups and neurosis were caused by our ...

Does anyone know any good anxiety/depression meds that really work? I'm on prozac and it don't work very well.

Please Help I have Anxiety and Panic Attacks everysingle day, it's destroying my entire life, what can I do???
I have been suffering from Anxiety and Socail Disorder for many Years now, I tried allot of thing to overcome it, but nothing worked. I have never taken medication for it because I am to afraid to ...

ABSOLUTLEY URGENT! PLEASE HELP, im really down and i feel like ending it, i beg you to help please?
i just lost my grandma, i have no family and fake friends. i feel i look terrible
http://photos-d.ak.faceb i have a ...

How do I get around to telling my mom that I am suicidal?

Additional Details
I've been suicidal for 5 or 6 ...

Do you think emos need metal help??
the ones who cut and hurt them selfs...
plz i wana know if my friend will get over this or if i should take action....

Hannah Radar
If you see a homeless person who appears to be 'crazy', how do you think s/he became that way?
Do you think that life on the street did that to him or her, OR do you think that a mental problem led him/her to the street?

Pilgrim
Karsokov's syndrom brought on by excessive consumption of alcohol.

Drugs can also lead to mental issues.

Mr Quiet
People don't generally just end up on the streets. There is always a story behind it. A combination of factors in their life have put them in that situation. In western countries with all the opportunities to get a job and free councilling there is absolutely no excuses for someone to be homeless so unless they are in a third world country where there is no hope of ever changing their lot in life I have no time for them!

beachbum
I think it was society

SweetBrunette
Rating
Over 70% of the homeless are war veterans that are put out in the street because the government doesn't want to take the responsibilities for their services.

We are now getting Iraqi Veterans out in the street due to no fundings.

The homeless person are going "crazy" due to war experiences and killing all of those people. If you haven't killed anyone through going to war, consider yourself lucky.

senior2tor
Rating
If you took meds for 15 - 20 yrs you would not have much left either. Some places dump them in the city with a monthly check.

lici1212
I think that those people have an illness, and are not on medication, and therefore are on the streets. Because typically, who in their right mind would CHOOSE to live on the streets?

lawagoneer
Back in the late 1980's a major funding cut hit mental health services. Many hospitals and half-way houses closed and their patients went to the streets. Most of them are still there today. Others are homeless by choice. I know of many homeless that get SSI disability, VA disability or have other income. They simply chose to live where they do. A small percentage are homeless due to job loss or economic setback.

The VA system does provide for the Vets, inspite of what you may have heard, it's just that may Vets chose not to take advantage of what is there for them.

me
There's a major shortage of mental health resources in this country and that's why there are so many "crazy" people who end up homeless. I think life on the street probably is very difficult, but it won't make you go crazy.

fifty
Rating
Well I had a very well kept and educated co-worker who had a breakdown and ended up wandering the streets. So, I think the mental illness came first.

When we emptied out the state mental hospitals, I'm not so sure it was because of patient rights. It is cheaper to let poor mentally ill people live on the streets.

A lot of homeless are war vets and people with substance abuse problems.

live and let live
Rating
Stress, depression, no food, no work, no money, no family. All these can send u around the bend in a moment. People who are abused constantly are likely to lose it. There is a very thin line between sane and insane. Dont push or drive anyone over that line. Have tolerance and compassion for others. Save them from going insane.

LoTs2ShArE
"There are as many crazies on the street as in a Fortune 500 Company, expect the ones on the street don't have money for meds." There is a shortage in mental health for those without means, as someone that was once them, many where like that before the street. Also many of the ones that do you have drug and drinking problems where mentally ill first. Those that are mentally ill and unable or don't receive treatment are 60% more likely to turn to substance abuse then those without a mental problem. And a few dont start using drugs and drinking till they become homeless. Call it a occupational hazard.

onesickchick
Rating
our a**hole government cutting funds for mental health care and taking gifts from the insurance companies lobbyist

?
Rating
Usually they're like that before they were on the street or have abused drugs and alcohol to get that way.

Bruce J
How do you figure that they are the crazy ones? Isn't it just as crazy to work our butts off so that we can buy stuff we don't need, pollute the planet and let a few people get obsenely weathy from our efforts?

And , maybe they aren't so crazy....

After all, I talk to my cat. If I was homeless, all you would see is an unshowered, thirty-something guy talking to a cat. How many things do you do that if someone saw you do them, they would think you are a little nuts?

buonasera
Rating
These people are mentally ill because of a faulty chemical imbalance in their brains. They cannot help it. It is just like getting diabetes or cancer. You cannot help it, because it is something your body did.

ignatious93
Rating
Neither. I think it's other peoples' reactions to us that shape who we are.

Jeff W
Rating
I think the mental problem did it to him.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, March 29, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy