Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

I just passed my driving test today, first attempt?
I got 8 minors, I had been learning for 5 months

Who want's to congratulate me??

T...

I've been prescribed with Citalopram by my Doc for my social anxiety. Has anyone had this work for them?

How do u cope with major depression and suicide thoughts can't seem to get a grip on it?
have been diagnosed and receive treatment but don't feel as if i'm getting ...

Psychologist?
I had been to see a Psychologist and had therapy for 2 years and it ended last Christmas. I wanted to go back to see her as I was having problems again but Mental Team said No. Once you have had your ...

Can your brain explode from boredom?
or would that make it implode?...

Non Medication Aides for Anxiety?
I'm trying to take the non-medication road to healing my panic and anxiety (seeing as how all the meds they put me on for that just THROW me into panic attacks). I was wondering what other ...

Should i tell my mother about my bulimia?
i've been bulimic for 4 years now. but sometimes i get better but it always comes back. i haven't purged in 2 weeks now and i think i'm getting better. but still i know i'm not ...

Can parents be particularly detrimental to your mental health?
how damaging can these things called 'parents' be? I remember a red dwarf episode in which people from the future finally proved that all our hang ups and neurosis were caused by our ...

Does anyone know any good anxiety/depression meds that really work? I'm on prozac and it don't work very well.

Please Help I have Anxiety and Panic Attacks everysingle day, it's destroying my entire life, what can I do???
I have been suffering from Anxiety and Socail Disorder for many Years now, I tried allot of thing to overcome it, but nothing worked. I have never taken medication for it because I am to afraid to ...

ABSOLUTLEY URGENT! PLEASE HELP, im really down and i feel like ending it, i beg you to help please?
i just lost my grandma, i have no family and fake friends. i feel i look terrible
http://photos-d.ak.faceb i have a ...

How do I get around to telling my mom that I am suicidal?

Additional Details
I've been suicidal for 5 or 6 ...

Do you think emos need metal help??
the ones who cut and hurt them selfs...
plz i wana know if my friend will get over this or if i should take action....

Is suicide the biggest sin?
just wondering will you go to hell for it
Additional Details
i'm bathist (i can't spell good)...

Need Answers !!?
I'm really close to this teacher in my school, I could trust her wth anything. She's helping me quit self harming, but I'm worried that it's putting her job at risk cause I know ...

What do you do to help relieve stress?
im always stress.. so can u guys give me an idea how u relieve it?...

How to not be gay???
Please help! And please don't just tell me to accept myself because ive tried,i cant and i wont,i cant be this way and need as much advice as possible. And if this is any help,im 14 and i dont ...

What do you do to help with stress?

Is this Normal thinking for a teen?
I know how dramatic this sounds but I feel as though no one understands me. I mean..for a teenager I'm very emotional and think about things in depth so much more then others and no one seems to ...

I am dying.?
I just hyperventilated and felt like i was dying...i could see the light....I'm dying inside and no one cares. Is this normal?
Additional Details
I just feel like giving up and ...

anon
Are anti-depressants really the answer?
I have been going through some really difficult times with my marriage, my family and myself for some time.
My wife and I have been seeing different psychologists plus we go to two different marriage counselors.
One doctor is strongly convinced that I should be on anti-depressants and so is my wife.

My problem is that my problems are situational, that I dont need drugs - I just need to improve my life. I worry that my Dr. wants me on anti-depressants because it's an easy answer for him; and that my wife wants me on them for selfish reasons.

The last thing I want to do is change who I am, o get myself to a point where I cant live without them.

Any thoughts?

shahrzad29
That will make you more depressed. go to therapy. always works.

Nick Gonzalez
my wife was on them and yeah... dont take them... she acted like she didnt have a care in the world and it made me upset because she just didnt care and at times it was like she was a zombie you know, anti depressants are good for teens who like drugs and want a good high... find the root of your problem and that will make you feel better... just keep at it

lovely
Rating
They make you more depressed.

Lisa Ray
Rating
Hey! Its criminal for your mind and soul.
Just leave them and adopt self psycho therapy.
Youe teach your self that your mind is the most power thing in your body.
You should remain positive in your life.
You should be loyale to your life, wife and job.

RickinAlaska
Rating
Me personally, I would drop the quacks. They are just feeding their own coffers, period. Take a good look at the success rate for antidepressants. Hmmmm. Not so good, huh? The facts are out there, look them up for yourself. 90% of patients that use antidepressants are still depressed! You can change your life without the quacks and the drugs. And if you feel the need to throw away good money...throw it over here! You really do have the power to make YOURSELF happy, go for it!

thedavecorp
Rating
I agree that it is probably situational. Go to a THERAPIST, someone who can't prescribe drugs - and see if THEY refer you to someone else to get drugs.

I myself have had great success at a Dianetics Center. Go to Dianetics.org. They have given me both hope AND results where no one else could. Some of their methodology is very VERY strange, and I wouldn't even look at it if it didn't work so damn good.

Write me privately if you want more info.

Gustav Flatz
You should be cautious of all drugs and consider the side effects. I was on anti-depressants for about five years and it screwed with my brain chemistry. now i have the cognitive and memory ability of a 70 year old.

F T
You know yourself best. Try to get through without the meds first. If you start to have thoughts to harm yourself or others, go to an ER immediatley! Good Luck!

Fisher
Rating
A really tough question.

First, antidepressants won't change who you are. Unless you like being depressed, that should be the main thing that changes.

If you value your marriage and your life as it is, and you truly are depressed, antidepressants plus cognitive-behavioral (talk) therapy can be very effective.

Good luck!

cbr600rr
limit your coffee consumption to maybe one a week or less, and if you smoke, stop smoking . that helped me

Go_Know_Thyself
Rating
For some people yes... For others no.

Working with your doctor to help them, help you is the best solution.

Some people respond to medications because they are predisposed to that sort of requirement for them to be healthy.

Some people cope and manage in other ways.

I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you what is right or wrong for you... Go see one...

But whatever you do... make sure that you are proactive in your own health care and speak up and make suggestions, it is your mind and your heart and your body... Speak it and know that even though these people are educated and experienced... They are not you.

sapphire
coming from experience depending on how serious your situation or depression is, initially it is important to be stabilized on anti-depressants along with therapy of course. they allow you to feel more open and positive, therefore allowing the advice from your councilor more effective. often in hard times people's minds are clouded by their down thoughts and feelings, making it hard for them to perceive positivity. so yes i believe they are definitely part of the answer in the beginning and you can always slow yourself off them when you feel ready, if you make that decision. yet it is important to take up a hobby, sport or even just a nice long walk each day to releave some of the stress. so be kind to yourself & be a little selfish; doing positive things for yourself and keeping buisy stimulates your brain so your not dwelling on the down side of life so much. this makes you a better person appreciating and enjoying life more! all the very best

lost_but_not_hopeless
Rating
You seem to have answered your own question without even realizing it..
Change the things you do have control over .. that means finding an outlet to relieve the stress (exercize .. a hobby), eating a well-balanced diet, grab a multi-vitamin, get plenty of rest. Schedule time for you. Volunteer somewhere to get out of the house for a while.. minimize the tension by planning things ahead, and avoiding stressful situations. Think about how the other person might translate what you are about to say or do. A majority of family issues are a direct result of miscommunication or misintrepretation.
Prescription medication is difficult because it usually adds stress before taking it away. Takes a long time to find what might work for you. And most doctors I have been unfortunate enough to have to deal with have been very impersonal about the whole thing ..
take a number, wait in line
here try this .. let me know if you feel better
no, didn't work? here try this .. let me know if you feel better
no, didn't work? here try this .. let me know if you feel better
You have to believe in the drugs before they ever have a chance at doing anything to help you out, and even then it is trial and error. Make that your last option.
Work on the things you can first.
I found it interesting that you mentioned you thought your wife wanted you to be taking the anti-depressants. Does she take them? Do you have kids?
I dont want to sound like a snake by raising the possibility that it could look suspicious to a judge that you were taking them (and she was not) if the time ever came that these issues could not be resolved and the end result was a divorce. I dont wanna over-dramatize things, but it is worthy of consideration.
Best of luck to you :)

thedrisin
Anti-depressants are not THE answer, but they can be ONE answer... and yes, it depends. The truth is, no one over the internet can tell you what you need - none of us know you like your wife or doctor.

However, what I tell my patients is that anti-depressants are like shoes in a shoe store. You try them on, if they don't work, you stop them. Simple as that. Anti-depressants are not addictive like cigarettes or alcohol.

Even if your problems are situational, that doesn't mean that you'll have to be on the meds forever. The meds might help "take the edge off your depression" so that you can deal with the situation better... and then once you've done that, you can discontinue the meds. Meds do not make everything better, they don't change your personality, they don't have lasting side effects, and they don't work alone - of course, in addition to the meds, you'll need to continue to see your therapist to work on making additional changes.

You have to do what's best for you. However, you should seriously assess what is currently working for you and what isn't. If you decide not to take them, hopefully, you are making other changes. However, if things aren't working for you right now... then change is scary - but meds are something that you can quickly discontinue if you don't like them.

Good luck.

Proud Nana
If you had a broken leg would you use a crutch? It's temporary..... right? Think of a mild anti-depressant as just that. Maybe it will help you to feel like your old self instead of the person you have come to be. I don't understand why your wife and you are seeing diff. docs and psychologists. Sounds like it could be counterproduct to me. (I'm NOT a doctor)I would recommend an appt. with a psychiatrist for rx reasons and have them recommend an individual and family therapist. (one person) Preferably one who works closely with the psychiatrist. This is NOT suggesting rx for the rest of your life or that you have mental problems. I had some major physical health problems along with some unsatisfactory changes at work. I was NOt myself. I went to see a psych and a therapist and I feel great. Thearapy has to go hand in hand with meds. Good luck. These suggestions I offer to you to consider. Also don't be surprised if they have to "play" with the meds to get the right one for you. That's ok. Good lUck to both of you.

king_of_hyrule
Rating
Not according to our Lord and Savior Tom Cruise.

Nancy G
Let me pose your question in a different way. Let's say you are over weight and you develop Type 2 diabetes. Your doctor tells you that you have to begin using insulin. You know if you go on a diet and lose the weight, the diabetes will probably disappear. But in the mean time, your health and well being will be strengthened using the insulin. Without the insulin, you risk heart and kidney problems. You're determined to lose the weight. Would you use the insulin in the meantime? Of course you would.

Another thing to think about is that your difficult times may be caused (or aggravated) by depression. Depression is a biochemical condition, not a lack of discipline or moral issue. If I were you (and I have been where you are) I would try the antidepressant. But I would caution you to avoid the SSRI's (Paxil, Zoloft, etc.). Instead, try what is called a tricyclic. They take a little longer to "kick in" but there is no withdrawal like the SSRI's (which can be awful!).

Finally, Newsweek recently had a terrific article on Men and Depression: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17190411/site/newsweek/

Good Luck!

mindy
i wont hurt ..gesh maybe you do need them

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, March 29, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy