Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Suicide. . .?
My best friend is seriously comtemplating suicide. He has been having suicidal thoughts for several months and have been confessing them to me, and he says that he is going to take his own life to ...

Are you afraid of dying?
i wonder who is going to cry for me when i die,aren't you?...

How do people deal with a fear of death?

"should I stop wearing diapers?

I want to die?
i want to die, i just hate myself. I used to self harm but now i stoped, but i still want to die, what can i do?
Additional Details
i ...

Have you ever sat alone and cried in despair?
Have you ever felt that deep feeling of hopelessness in the pit of your stiomach that just made you cry and cry and cry about how bad your life has turned out? when was the last time you did this?...

Can anyone give me a good reason to continue with life?
I used to think that life would be exciting and full of adventure. But now, I am completely disillusioned. I have few friends ( no close ones ), and worst of all, no lover. What's the use when ...

Can you read this?
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The ...

What's the way out of loneliness?
people keep telling me to go to groups but i never seem to meet anyone interesting there. only people who already have friends/family. or otherwise how do find contentment in solitute?...

Why does depression have a stigma attached .....?
depression can affect all walks of life , rich and poor people , but why do people frown upon anti-depressants ?? I have read a few answers over time here in answers and they were all really negative ...

Give me a reason to live?
I'm probably being a pain in the ***. I just don't know what to do. My family, friends, school... all meaningless, so not supportive. I can't find happiness. Been depressed for years ...

I need a good reason to be alive?
I've been incredibly depressed as of late; I cry daily for hours on end. My girlfriend dumped me; I suffered a back injury which squelched any chance that I had of playing baseball in college; ...

I have most things?
I have my own place, car and a job, not much money and sometimes no money, no girlfriend and no out life, like some people but i cant stop thinking about killing myself and ending this **** life, i ...

Hase any one got trouble with a bad temper?
And if so how do you control it i am open to any tips
I have also been told by my doctor that i have ...

Does anyone else find listening to rain really relaxing?

I feel very sad:(?
Any suggestions on how to make me feel better?
thanks....

Why men always think they are smarter than women?

Suicide or not?
i'm feeling very suicidal right now and need someone to talk to.
my family call me fat all the time and i weight 110 pounds and i'm bulimic too ( eating disorders run in my family )

What do you think happens after suicide?
if you committed suicide, but you believed in god, what do you think would happen? and assuming heaven and hell is real, do you think you could still go to heaven?...

How do you deal with thoughts of suicide?
Everything that could go wrong in my life has and i'm constantly plagued with suicidal thoughts. I've read other comments about this that say "take up a hobby" or something, but i&...

Sara J
I didnt sleep for 24 ours and something really freaky happened to me....why????
ok,so i stayed up the whole night,then went to work in the morning,came home at 4pm,slept for 1 hour,and woke up in a complete state crying,feeling terrified,wierd,like i was in a ''dream'' like i was literatlley ''dying''...what does this sound like? neting to do with not sleeping? thanks guys x

ericasev7
i dont know, but that has happened to me before...

Dr. Coulter
This is weird!
I'm having the same problem except I stay up all night, go to sleep at around 5:00 AM and then get up at around 8:00 or before.
idk what to do?
I also had hallucinations while on myspace!
My mom had to take me to the emergency room once!
I'm only telling you this because none of my real life friends have yahoo!
so yeah

shroty
usually when you wake up crying and you feel like you are dying it is called a panic attack or anxiety attack......you are probably suffering from sleep deprivation and you should probably see someone like your doctor about that

trw72
Rating
All sorts of chemical neurons are floating around up there. Sleep allows time to revitalize.

When I go 30+ hours, you would swear that I was intoxicated because EVERYTHING is inappropriately funny.

But I pay for it for about two days.

It really isn't healthy

temitopeowosela
Rating
I would pretty much say that you are experiencing sleep deprivation.

GirlyGirl
see a doctor but for now GET SOME REST!! set your alarm clock to maybe 9:30

Michele W
Rating
Well I'm only 12 and no one usually listens to my answers but oh well, I'm studying the brain for no reason, I want to be a neurologist, so i guess that's why, but anyways you have different parts of sleep, there's non-REM and REM, REM is usually when you are dreaming, but anyways, in non-REM you go through 4-8 stages, the last stage(s) is when you start to fall into deeper sleep, and when you start to fall into deep sleep in sometimes triggers off different parts of your brain, so it could be that on a last stage before you were hard asleep it could of triggered the part of your brain which deals with emotions (frontal cortex) and it's more common to have emotion problems when you wake up if you're deprived of sleep

Kayleigh T
Rating
It could of just been a freak moment or something it doesn't mean anything it happens to everyone

Judah
It's because you didn't get sleep. Don't do that too often! Sleep deprivation can kill you if go too long without sleep. Get some sleep and you'll feel better.

Kayla <33
Rating
Happens to me sometimes, don't pull all-nighters they really aren't good for you.

trully
Rating
lack of sleep. when i get less than 5 hours, especially if i do it two or more nights in a row, i feel like i am drunk and hung-over at the same time all day.

peppernpaws1
I don't think anything serious is wrong, just a really bad dream. or sleep deprivation.

IAmLegend83
Rating
I personally only sleep an average of about 2-3 hours a night. I've been like that forever and have never had a prob with it. Most people roll their eyes at me when I say that but weather you believe it or not its the truth. I have had situations before where I have worked for 48 hours straight with no sleep and can say finally gettin to sleep can fell kinda off. I personally think it has to do with your mind going through your sleep stages too quickly, causing you to dream at an earlier and more concious stage than usual.
I can't wait to hear all the "profesionals" tell me how this can't be and i'm wrong. amazing how many teenagers out there with too much free time search yahoo for info and then claim to be doctors.

Grant
Rating
it's totally common to have vivid hallucinations due to sleep deprivation. I have had those waking "dreams" where I think I'm awake but then something BIZARRE happens like I look in the mirror and it's not me or something in my house is off, like stuff I haven't had in years suddenly reappearing! This always happens when I've stayed up all night writing or working on my dissertation. It's creepy as hell and usually I end up staying awake until I'm super tired, because trying to sleep once I hit the "delirious" stage seems to bring on the creepy hallucinations.

Shan
One of the consequences of sleep deprivation is psychosis. Adequate sleep is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! Most people in the Western world don't get enough, and far too many are running a "sleep deficit", which increases accident, and error rates, and impacts heavily on their quality of life.

Wake up, and GET SUFFICIENT SLEEP!!!, people, or you may have a "microsleep" when driving, and cause an accident which kills & maims many innocent people. Employers, the military, and medical registrars should take notice of this, as well.

INSOMNIA: Exercise, but not within 2 hours of bedtime. Have a warm bath, or shower, an hour before bedtime, then a glass of very warm milk, possibly with Horlicks, or one of the herbal teas, below, and use dimmer lighting. Put your mind in a position where it wants to shut itself off, and sleep. See insomnia treatments, in much more detail than can be included here, in section 3, at ezy build, below. Use one of the relaxation methods, in bed, after lights out, on pages 2, 11, 2.c, or 2.i, but they can take some time to learn, (progressive muscular relaxation excepted) so learn and become proficient in their use during the day.

An alternative is to use the EFT, in section 53, and pages 2.q, and 2.o, saying to yourself: "Even though I currently have a sleep disorder, I deeply and completely accept myself." (or choose your own wording) while you use the acupressure tapping. Some more; quick, and easy to learn, are at http://www.umm.edu/sleep/relax_tech.htm The progressive muscle relaxation, (most easily learned) guided imagery, and mindfulness breathing are known to be effective, although I haven't tried the other 2 methods.

Find out which works best for you, in the daylight hours, so you will be prepared, come bedtime. For many people, a good idea is to develop a set "wind down" routine for the last hour before bedtime, so your subconscious mind learns that it is time to put thinking aside, and prepare for mindfulness, (awareness, without cogitation/purposeful thought) or the EFT, in preparation for sleep, but the idea with mindfulness is to not even think about sleeping: just drift off, naturally, during exercising those techniques.

Avoid TV, computer, or anything exciting in this hour, although reading a BORING! book is a good idea. I suggest that you try using the EMDR variant, below, prior to the mindfulness, or the progressive muscular relaxation, but after the EFT, if that method is chosen. Experiment, to find which combination works best for you.

(The following is a variant of Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing therapy, which has been used successfully for those people suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, insomnia, and anxiety: it is easily learned, quick to use, yet can be very effective. It is easy to be dismissive of such a seemingly unusual technique, but give it a good tryout, for at least a few weeks, to see if it is effective in your case).

Prior to using either of the methods in the above paragraph, first sit comfortably, and take a deep breath. Then, without moving your head, move your eyes from the left, to the right, and back again, taking around a second to do so (say: "a thousand and one": this takes approximately a second).

Repeat this procedure (without the words, although you can count, subvocally, if you like) 20 times: "A thousand and one; a thousand and two... " and so on, to a thousand and twenty. Then close your eyes and relax. Become aware of any tension or discomfort you feel.

Then open your eyes, and take another deep breath, and repeat step one, closing your eyes, and relaxing afterwards, in the same manner. Then, repeat the procedure one last time. Some people may find that this is all they need do.

With experience, you may find that you can practise this in public, with your eyes closed, which greatly widens the window of opportunity for its use, and avoids attracting unwanted attention. I have found that the 2 - 3 minutes spent using the EMDR markedly reduces distractions to the relaxation process, and is repaid many times over.

I also use it prior to my chosen relaxation technique, after lights out, at night. For more about Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing therapy, showing recommendations by those who have used it, including a professional psychotherapist with more than 20 years of experience in that field, see sections 33 - 34, at ezy-build.

Usually, I have a cup of chamomile herbal tea, an hour before bedtime, and employ many of the techniques in section 3. Others may prefer Sleepytime, by Celestial Seasonings, Relax, Be Sleepy, or valerian root, from supermarket tea, or health food aisles. http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris

Ms.JoE JoNaS
Rating
well u know u need sleep on order to work and yea u should try excersizing and getting out into the fresh air it should make u feel a lot better u just need to free your mind

Esma
Rating
That definitely has to do with not sleeping, don't worry. When you finally fell asleep, your body went from running on pure adrenaline to a state of total calm and just didn't handle the change well. Just try not to let this happen too often--it really wears you out!

butterfly
You might have experienced a sleep deprivation seizure. If it happens again make an appt. with a neurologist.

Hillary H
Rating
Sounds similar to a panic attack. Remember that sleep is very important- if your body gets too exhausted it starts to act weirdly in order to make up for the lack of energy. When I don't get enough sleep, I go into full blown panic attacks, where I, too, feel as if I am dying- Moreover, I think that I AM dying. Try taking long breaths and think of a place that makes you happy. These are both parts of my favorite way to chill out- meditation. Breathing in quickly and out slowly while focusing on one situation really calms you down enough to rationalize what is going on.

If you continue to experience these problems, please don't hesistate to email me.

Sunshine Hell
you are over tired. get some rest!

Jared B
It could be demons tormenting you if you dont know Jesus

Aezvina
Rating
Is this your normal pattern of going to sleep after work?

4-5 PM: it's light outside, you have a bit of sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation affects people differently but most everyone has in common is an altered state of your senses - seeing/hearing/feeling.

You don't say you had a nightmare/bad dream, but maybe you don't remember and it is in your subconscious.

It being light outside may strengthen your already distorted senses, your mind doesn't understand and you're overwhelmed & go into somesort of panic attack before you even know it.. you very intensly feel honestly completly that you will not see another day, you will die.. fortunatly you're ok, you got your feet back on the ground.

Sounds like a one time event, but maybe there's allot of bottled up stress or anxeity that came out after your body was weakened by sleep depravation.

You might want to think/look at how you deal with your life, try getting a "good" daily sleep routine. Getting out of bed no matter what at the same hour and going to sleep every single day (may take up to 3 months before your internal clock is reset). Or it may simply be a freak accident, not everything can be explained.. but I'd guess lack of sleep has something to do with your experience.

Take care.

Lemonade dude
wow that sounds scary

canada_winnipeg_man
Rating
It is all due to Lack of sleep or Sleep deprivation on behavior.
Every day there seems to be twice as much work and half as much time to complete it in. This results in either extended periods of wakefulness or a decrease in sleep over an extended period of time. While some people may like to believe that they can train their bodies to not require as much sleep as they once did this belief is false :
Sleep is needed to regenerate certain parts of the body, especially the brain, so that it may continue to function optimally. After periods of extended wakefulness or reduced sleep neurons may begin to malfunction, visibly effecting a person's behavior. Some organs, such as muscles, are able to regenerate even when a person is not sleeping so long as they are resting. This could involve lying awake but relaxed within a quite environment. Even though cognitive functions might not seem necessary in this scenario the brain, especially the cerebral cortex, is not able to rest but rather remains semi-alert in a state of "quiet readiness"

Certain stages of sleep are needed for the regeneration of neurons within the cerebral cortex while other stages of sleep seem to be used for forming new memories and generating new synaptic connections. The effects of sleep deprivation on behavior have been tested with relation to the presence of activity in different sections of the brain.

Can a person really die from lack of sleep?
Indeed they can! A person will die from total lack of sleep sooner than starvation. Death will occur about 10 days without sleep whilst starvation will take a few weeks. Going without sleep for any length of time causes long and short-term effects. People quickly lose the ability to act and think coherently. Although it leave no physical marks, the psychological affects of sleep deprivation are phenomenal.
Many prisoners of war were tortured using methods of sleep deprivation and although a person initially thinks that this form of torture is nothing more than feeling tired, if a person goes for more than three days without any sleep at all, they lose orientation in place and time, hallucinations start and eventually the body cannot cope and begins to break down.
Similarly, the brain's ability to problem solve is greatly impaired. Decision-making abilities are compromised, and the brain falls into rigid thought patterns that make it difficult to generate new problem-solving ideas. Insufficient rest can also cause people to have hallucinations. Other typical effects of sleep deprivation include:
depression
heart disease
hypertension
irritability
slower reaction times
slurred speech
tremors.
Sleep Terrors generally strike during the initial phase of sleep. Also called as night terrors, it may begin unexpectedly with a loud and frightened scream. The victims may also sweat profusely and experience palpitations. Mostly occurring during the third and fourth phase of NREM sleep, night terrors are also known to dawn at any time in the night.

The U.S. military has used sleep deprivation to prepare detainees for interrogation at Guantanamo. A recent report by the office of the Justice Department's inspector general involved frequently rousting prisoners and moving them between cells to keep them off balance.In accounts dealing with other detainees, officials have written that sleep deprivation was used to soften up detainees before interrogations. A top-secret military experiment in sleep deprivation unleashes the innermost fears of the subconscious mind with deadly results. Dr. Harlan Jessup is the dictatorial leader of a secret research unit subjecting a troop of hardened combat veterans to a sleep deprivation experiment conceived to perfect a drug that will transform them into nonstop killing machines. As weeks pass with no rest, the soldiers' subconscious minds unleash their fears and paranoia. Sturner is the first recruit to crack when the drug induces hallucinations that cause him to confuse a subconscious apparition with reality -- with lethal results. Conditions deteriorate rapidly as the other team members experience a blurring between what are real threats and those that exist in their minds. As Jessup's motives are revealed, his "subjects" turn on themselves and each other as their worst nightmares come to life.

Sq∪∈∈g¡∈
Rating
well it might be from the lack of sleep. or it just could be a random dream. sometimes when i stay up for a couple days and then try to sleep i get all delirious and start seeing things.

Josh K
Rating
If you don't get enough sleep your body begins to hallucinate, you wil end up feeling drowsy and depressed. If you keep doing this you may kill yourself and nobody wants that to happen.

littlegypsy
Rating
Sleep deprivation can kill you.... waking up in the afternoon for me, like late afternoon sorta feels depressing like I've missed something? It's really weird... maybe you have a lot on your mind and it just surfaced, something may have triggered you the night before, being that you stayed up, maybe you had a big night... well sleep well.. I know I'd best be off I nearly missed work today! hehe Just woke up in time!

Ryan D
after just 18 hours without sleep it is the equivalent of having a blood alcohol level of .08, so you were seriously trippin', b.

CharleyBaby
Rating
people are known to have hallucinations with lack of sleep, it was probably like that .

kay_flood
Rating
pretty typical of sleep deprivation....by the way, doing that routinely will kill you.

George L
I often have illusions from my lack of sleep, I blame my job

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy