Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diet & Fitness
Health Discussion Forum

Do vegetables and fruits have calories?
if so where can i go to find out how many calories they ...

Do you think that being 5''5 in height and being 112 pounds is normal???

If youre in a hurry and you want to get something healthy....?
What fast food place do you go to and what do you get? Like chicken,salads.........

I hard that smoking helps you to lose weight. Is that true?Will I lose weight if I start smoking?
I am eighteen and I would like to be thiner......

I just had a large plate of pasta and football practice in 45 minutes i need an answer a.s.a.p
I had a big plate of pasta with sauce and meatballs. We do heavy running, pushups and all sorts of excercises. Will i puke up my pasta? Does my body have enough time? Please answer
Additional D...

Does it really make your stomach flat if you wrap your stomach in plastic wrap and then go running???

I eat tuna sandwiches for breakfast instead of normal breakfast stuff would this hurt my diet?
Im on a diet but I read i should eat my biggest meal in the morning well i would normally eat my biggest meal at lunch ie the sandwiches but i swapped lunchs meal for breakfasts and now eat cereal at ...

I would really like to be skinny by next year?
Ahh! I cant take it! Being overweight is horrible! Isnt there anything that isnt hard and is easy to stick to, to lose weight?!...

Why do fat people go to McD's and order a couple big macs and then ask for a diet coke?I see this all the time
No offense to overweight ...

Do all girls have fat knees?
My knees have wierd fat on them and I am not overweight, but is there a way to get rid of it or do something about it?...

I don't eat very healthy, can you help me?
Here's my problem. I'm 13, and I don't eat what I should. I have breakfast, which is cereal, I don't each lunch much, and dinner I rarely eat it because I'm so picky. I hate ...

How many calories do you need to burn to loose body weight?

Why am I dead tired at the same time every day?
I work 9 to 5 in an office. I have a beautiful office to my self with lots of light. Every day around 2 or 3 pm I get so tired I don't feel like I can keep my eyelids open. This lasts through ...

How can i loose some pounds??
im 21 years and I weight 191 and i need to know how can i loose some pounds easily to look my best in my first ...

I've got a big tummy. How to reduce it?
i'm a software engineer.Morning i have bread toast or corn flakes.Afternoon i've rice meals.for dinner i've rice meals and go to sleep.I've developed a big tummy.i hardly find ...

Are laxatives a good way to lose weight quickly?

I can't put on weight, although i eat 3 meals a day and extras, has anyone got any tricks?

Why are the Americans so fat?
Now more than half of Americans are obese

How can these people expect anyone to give them any respect when they clearly are lazy and have no self control?

The worst thing is ...

What is the quickest way to loose 74 pounds within 7 to 8 months?

Whats the best way to lose weight fast after becoming a mommy?
losing weight??...

iliada2
Should children not be allowed to eat too much candy?
Is it really bad or just another misconception? I have a friend that does not allow her toddler any candy, she talks about how it would damage the kid's ability to taste other flavors (salty, bitter, etc...) and to like these flavors further in life, I though that was a bit extreme but I was left wondering about that.

naddoosh
yes, it should be limited. it is necessary only on celebrations and important days. but be equal in distributing candies. it effects teeth and body and health.

Micki
Rating
i think kids should be allowed candy within limits. one shouldnt reward good behaviour with candy cause in the future it will stick to their mind that candy is kind and that will lead to them turning to candy and food if they feel down . so carefull with that. i have two kids and they do get a candy every once in a while no big deal i guess.kids in ealry age cant tast except sweet like the mothermilk is sweet then salty when they start taking soft food, some kids even take the vegetablesoup sweetend cause they refuse salty in that age ( 3- 4 month old) better is not add anything. they refuse bitter and a mom has to wait to introduce bitter to her child if she wants him to like it.

sweet as suga
candy rots childerens teeth and makes the hyper active, with all the junk they put in it. soo noooo children should not be allowed to eat tooo much candy.

punk princess!
Rating
its bad 4 them but I dont think it causes the kid to lose/ not acquire certain tastes... my mom let me eat candy all the time and I happen to love most foods. the only food I will not eat no matter what is onions. I think it just depends on the kid. candy can teach them to eat unhealthy though.

mojochick_148
well my aunt wont let her child have candy or even coke its bad for you and it is a very bad habite stick with water

Marianna
Children get far too much rubbish food these days. As long as they get plenty of fruit and veg ext. A little candy now and then will be fine.

mRNA
if they eat moderate amounts they should be ok. it is importanat for them to get exercise as well. if you eat nothing but steamed vegetables and water( which contain little or no fat) but do nothing than they will still get fat and have health problems. it should not affect the childs ability to taste other flavours, but it does have a slightly addictive affects on children of any age.

Grandma Susie
Rating
Kids should not be allowed to eat too much candy. It's is bad for them, but not for the reasons your friend gave.

mamaross
Yes, yes, yes. Bad. Bad for the teeth (remember, they will hopefully keep those choppers for a long time), bad for hyperactivity (sugar rushes) and bad for the pancreas, to have to manufacture an abundance of insulin. Although juvenile diabetes has a genetic factor to it, the onset of diabetes can occur at any time. Processed sugar is not meant to be one of our food staples...empty calories which contributes to malnourishment and obesity combined.
No candy for a toddler is ok, they don't know what they are missing. But someday they will be away from mommy, and thrust into a candy-consuming world. Perhaps they will take what they learned from mom with them, and limit their intake.

ernestlhodges
If you want healthy children, limit the candy you give them also you will have less dental bills. Limit soft drinks too, just control the intake of sugars all together. The end result will be less doctor bills and healthier children.

Raymond H
Rating
To much is to much

watashi wa jason
Rating
i would let my children(if i have)eat 2 a day,that maximum because 1. they make children teeth ungood,and 2. they will made children fat

dave
Rating
Its a bad habbit for kids to eat toomuch candy..Average american kid is fat. that is just gross.

Demeter
Rating
i think you should limit kids' sugar consumption, definetly. theres many different diseases associated with eating to much sugar (e.x. diabetes)

crenshaw_2004
Rating
its not bad to eat candy as long as they brush their teeth is should be ok but not so much is good....

c
Rating
Candy in moderation. To much candy is not good for anyone. If you allow children to have candy, say as a Sunday treat, they will not want it near as much as if you don't allow it at all. It's the forbidden fruit syndrome.

debrock16
Rating
No candy! Well not every day that's for sure. Issue here is that it is easier to give a child a sweet then to be a good parent and play with them. I do not give my kids this sort of thing cause they will think it is part of their diet and want it all the time.

A treat is named a treat for a reason. A parent should not bride their child to be good with food. This leads to comfort eating and bad behaviours. If you say to your child if you are good I'll give you a chocolate they think if they are good they need to have it. You are conditioning your child with bad food behaviour.

I read an article that said that when parents do this they can potentially instill food disorders as they become adults. They will associate emotions with food. If you are good they go and reward themselves with food. It causes emotional eating.

When my kids are naughty or I need them to be good I will either take away their toys and lock the toy room door, or hey yeah I bribe them but with activity. I will say if you are well behaved today we will go to the park and take the ball.

Not sure about the flavour comment cause I fed my kids mashed foods with kumera, garlic, chilli & corriander from when they were 8 months old. So hey that is a flavour over kill but now they are great and healthy eaters. My 3 year old will eat rice cakes w vegemite over a chocolate anyday of the week.

ma_isa
I ate too much candy as a kid, my teeth are messed up (endodoncy tomorrow at 10:30, by the way) and i've always been fat, bullies in school ruined my self-esteem for a life time.

Sugar in kids is like alcohol for adults.

Juliette
I am a elementary school,Physical Education/Health teacher.Obesity in young children has reached epidemic portions.
Fast food and inactivity is the main culprit.Fresh fruit as a substitute for candy is best. Candy in moderate amounts will not cause a child to be over-weight.

jennacate
I think a variety is best. Let them have candy once in a while. all those wisetales about candy rotting their teeth, making them hyper and damaging taste butds is simply not true. they are all myths. Sugar can actually make children more tired because of the amount of glucose in ones body. if there is too much it will make you feel sick and tired. Just limit the amount of anything your child eats and they should be fine.

Meg
duh, wat r u tryin 2 make em fat er somethin?

RichardChamberlain
In the same way a 5 years old Indian child can eat a whole chili like eating a cucumber, a child likes to eat what the parents teaches them. Give a candy to my child, she will just spit it ou and I don't see the necessity to give it to her, not to have sugary juice or others kinds of sugary food at home. You can see by yourself how unattractive, weak, fat or too skinny are the kids that consumes a lot of candy.

kat_cat_dog
Rating
Of course they should

yarddog
Rating
let them eat all they wish as long as they are not getting fat.

Little kids that are over weight need to be restricted.

If you get cavities then just get a gold tooth. Who doesn't want the gold.

soniaatcalifornia
Rating
Theoretically speaking, carbohydrates are a legitimate addition. If these habits form when young they will last a life time. Some people may dispute this but i can only tell you this from my own experience and I am a carb addict and cant go a day without them. I wasn't raised on carbs but after i grew up, i ate tons of it and as a result of it, i formed some philological reaction within my body and cannot go without a carb fix at least one time a day. It is real, I wish it wasn't but I just thought i would share my real experience with you.

Cheshire Cat
Considering the increase in the number of childhood diabetes cases, the laxity of US policy concerning concentrated sugars like high fructose corn syrup, and the fact that, yes, sugar does indeed impair the sensing of more delicate flavors, I would say that limiting sugar intake would indeed be a great idea. I feel like I know a bit more about this than the average American, yet I still feel even more naive than I should. I have personally experienced an "awakening" of my taste buds while on a diet, so my understanding of the effects of sugar and - also from personal experience - sugar addiction, which is probably one of the primary causes for binge eating.

Eliminating sugar altogether may be a bit exteme and I definitely would not replace it with artificial sweeteners.

A couple facts I learned about sugars that may surprise you:

1. Our sugar consumption level comes from our sugar industry. About 100 years ago, the government promoted sugar production by encouraging DOUBLING the amount of sugar written in published recipies. That said, most things we eat could stand to have at least 1/2 the sugar and still taste great!

2. High fructose corn syrup allows industries to compact more calories into a smaller space, allowing you to gain more weight so that you'll feel hungrier and, thus, eat more. Their profit is the priority, not your health. In countries more responsible to their public, highly concentrated sugars like this are BANNED. This is why Americans are fat, but Europeans are so "mysteriously" thin.

3. An unhealthy populace is great for business! More diabetes means more work for doctors! More overweight people means more people paying for diet information! Heavier people means more people buying more food to maintain their unhealthy lifestyles! Sugar addiction means you'll buy more nutrient-free garbage food! Obesity is great for insurance companies because they get to charge higher premiums! Gyms - those places where you exercise like a hamster on a wheel - get business from people desperately working out to avoid being fatter than they already are - better yet - they have fit people there to humilate them so that they pay for membership and then NEVER GO! In countries with public health systems, this sort of irresponsibility means MORE WORK for a system of limited funds, so more effort is made to eliminate the risk factors instead of seeing the risk factors as profit opportunities.

4. Our physical infrastructure encourages sitting in cars to get from place to place instead of walking to buses or trains or any other form of public transportation, hence, we are also fat because we are sedentary and have to make EXTRA effort, taking MORE time to get exercise, which often means LESS time with family and friends (who often hate the idea of being a human hamster as much as you do).

Really, I hate the entire health infrastructure of the USA. It's crap that most certainly does not serve the public, unless the public means private companies profiting from your bad health.

Good luck!

**B**
Rating
yes dental and health will get damaged.

PavithraIndran
Like they say ... too much of anything is good for nothing... Candy in itself isnt bad... but too much candy is definitely bad... or for that matter... too much of anything.. i think your friend's conception is not quite right... if she doesnt allow her kid to eat candy because she thinks the kid wouldnt be able to develop a taste for other foods, then , what about sweet candy ? thats a taste too, right? the way i would do it is to give the child a limit and make sure she sticks to it... doing it this way , the toddler not only overeats , but also knows her limits and develops the will power to say no.

lilcrazykev2
Rating
no because they get hyper and fat.

mindlessgenius
i agree that it is a bit extreme. it can easily backfire where the kid grows up and feels like they've been denied this great forbidden thing and starts complusively eating sweets because of those feelings. moderation is key to junk food and fast food.

Adorably Ana
Rating
It is a myth. Myths become gospel to some people who don't know better. Moderation is key. Some candies are just plain junk and frankly there are better things you could put into their little bodies that taste sweet. If they have good brushing habits and good eating habits, candy will not hurt them. If they start to gain weight, cut back. But always ask your pediatrician and never let another parent dictate what you feel is best for your child.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Monday, March 25, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy