Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

I hate myself?
What should I do?...

How to be able to forgive yourself, especially when others won't? PSYCHOLOGICAL ONLY, NO RELIGION PLEASE!!!!!
I have some friends who came from abusive households, and had to endure abuse throughout their growing up years and carried it out throughout, social and work life, unfortunately such people are not ...

Me_rdrgz
Do you think emos need metal help??
the ones who cut and hurt them selfs...
plz i wana know if my friend will get over this or if i should take action.

stack1921
Rating
hell yeah!!!!!! they r retarted and they should be kept in an island

justice for animals
No they need Jesus to deliver them from the power of saten

iamyou
They are crying for help, the least you can do is offer such a thing.

RedJanie
I see the term "emos" all the time and i haven't got a clue as to what it means. could maybe offer some advice if i did.

I'm 100% Man
Rating
Metal Help? Yeah, they need to stop listening to Alternative emo metal and start listening to Motley Crue or Judas Priest.

Mr.Peanut
yes
why would anybody cause self harm or death to themselves just to fit in

to me its not worth it
not by a long shot

$
I used to have an emo friend ... anyway it gave my a lesson :
They get to the point where they are so sad that they commit suicide and pass on
U NEED TO TAKE ACTION NOW!

stranger in NC
Rating
no they just need to grow up.

most of the time theres nothing even wrong with their lives, they just like the whole emo style so they dress trashy and do stupid crap for attention.

"im gonna go listen to my chemical romance and pretend im dead" oh stfu

Rachel _Not_Idiot
Echo what Grace M said.

Self harm =/= emo: THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

Emo is a subculture. It needs to be treated as much as opera-goers need to be treated. (To use an example.)

Self harm is a sign of serious issues. It needs to be treated.

!!!
Do you mean MENTAL help? Or do you think they just need to trade in their emo music for metal?

But yeah...I think those who cut themselves need help, although they are not all scene people.

MI KAY DEAN
Rating
anybody who cuts themselves needs help but all emo's don't do this and most can be normal people who just like to wear dark clothes etc...

Ace
yes.

Sarah D
Rating
Yes, cutters need help.

There are special treatments for them.

Tar Heel Holli
Rating
Anyone who is inflicting pain upon themselves should seek help immediately. Please take action.

CaPRiSunDrink!
Rating
yeah IT isnt very good that your cutting yourself

Laurenâ„¢ ăƒ„ (Anti Jonas)
Rating
well i guess it depends. like, maybe if they go see a shrink or something because sometimes its easier to talk to someone you dont know and that has to keep everything confidential.

To the answer above me, My Chemical Romance's does NOT label their music as 'emo'. just wanted to get that clear.

grace M
Rating
I'm so tired of this "emo" stuff going around.
People need to get through their heads that one who cuts or hurts themselves dont need a lable as "emo" its so ridiclous.

People who hurt themselves need mental help yes.
Its not an everyday person who "just decides" hey I am an emo, I think I will hurt myself today.
People make choices and bad ones. Some people out there think they need to hurt themsleves to get this "emo" personality...but in reality self injury has been around long before this whole goth and emo generation.

Its a real problem, with real people suffering,
theres nothing "cool" about hurting yourself and it isnt something you just grow out of unless the whole purpose of it is for attention seeking but in most cases IT ISNT!

combackkidxxx
Rating
haha no one is an EMO.
it's a MUSIC GENRE and a FASHION STYLE.

if 'emo' really did mean a emotional person in a dictionary
EVERYONE WOULD BE AN EMO.

calm down with the aiden and MCR.

anyone who cuts needs help.
obviously you should take action....you shouldn't even
question that.

Emma~
Lol. Metal help for the emos... I prefer my emo music actually, thanks ;)

As for getting them help... Tell them you're there for them. Be comforting, but not overbearing. Recommend they talk to your school counselor, and offer to go with them if they would like that.

Some self injuerers get over it themselves without help, for various reasons, but most need outside assistance. It's an addiction of sorts. It's not the problem, but the ineffective solution; your friend doesn't so much need help for self injury as for the reason, the emotional problems, that lead to it.

It's great you're thinking about helping this person, but I urge you to do a bit of reading and dispel for yourself some of the stereotypes. For one, one's style does not dictate whether they will self injure. Jocks, preps, goths, any can hurt themselves. Some "emos" do, some do not. Oh, and cutting is not a term that's inter-changeable with self-harm. It's a method; some people burn, scratch, bite...

Take it seriously; some people are doing it for attention, but many others do not. If your friend is being very obvious about it, not hiding their cuts or even showing them off, don't write them off. Yes, they are doing it for attention, but if they feel they need it, they're indirectly asking for help and support. It's funny how many people assume all "cutters" are doing it for attention; you only hear about the ones that are, because the majority that have real problems know to hide it!

Edit: Props to Grace!

Good luck.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy