Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

My mom died and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. Ways to cope???
Mom died 9/15/07. I know she is in a better place now. It was somewhat of a relief when she passed, she was suffering so much. Now life is kicking in again. Dad passed in 96. I have 3 brothers but I ...

What is this feeling of emptiness I've been experiencing for so long?
How do I fill this void?
Additional Details
Yea I aint hungry. I cut myself aswell. Mum took me to doctors but dunno what he woz on a ...

How do i stop my wife snoring without going to jail?

Scared i'll never be happy in this world/life?
Does anyone else feel that they can never be happy in this world or this life?????

I'm really unhappy with my life and i'm trying to get better, but nothing motivates me to try ...

Can anybody say something good?
I am really alone right now. I have nobody to talk to. I am so upset and depressed about being alone. I am in love with someone I see everyday and I can't take the feeling of rejection anymore. I...

Suicide. . .?
My best friend is seriously comtemplating suicide. He has been having suicidal thoughts for several months and have been confessing them to me, and he says that he is going to take his own life to ...

Are you afraid of dying?
i wonder who is going to cry for me when i die,aren't you?...

How do people deal with a fear of death?

"should I stop wearing diapers?

I want to die?
i want to die, i just hate myself. I used to self harm but now i stoped, but i still want to die, what can i do?
Additional Details
i ...

Have you ever sat alone and cried in despair?
Have you ever felt that deep feeling of hopelessness in the pit of your stiomach that just made you cry and cry and cry about how bad your life has turned out? when was the last time you did this?...

Can anyone give me a good reason to continue with life?
I used to think that life would be exciting and full of adventure. But now, I am completely disillusioned. I have few friends ( no close ones ), and worst of all, no lover. What's the use when ...

Can you read this?
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The ...

What's the way out of loneliness?
people keep telling me to go to groups but i never seem to meet anyone interesting there. only people who already have friends/family. or otherwise how do find contentment in solitute?...

Why does depression have a stigma attached .....?
depression can affect all walks of life , rich and poor people , but why do people frown upon anti-depressants ?? I have read a few answers over time here in answers and they were all really negative ...

Give me a reason to live?
I'm probably being a pain in the ***. I just don't know what to do. My family, friends, school... all meaningless, so not supportive. I can't find happiness. Been depressed for years ...

I need a good reason to be alive?
I've been incredibly depressed as of late; I cry daily for hours on end. My girlfriend dumped me; I suffered a back injury which squelched any chance that I had of playing baseball in college; ...

I have most things?
I have my own place, car and a job, not much money and sometimes no money, no girlfriend and no out life, like some people but i cant stop thinking about killing myself and ending this **** life, i ...

Hase any one got trouble with a bad temper?
And if so how do you control it i am open to any tips
I have also been told by my doctor that i have ...

Does anyone else find listening to rain really relaxing?

third_rail_boy
How long do cravings last after Quitting Smoking?
I am on my second day, and not doing so well, how long should I expect to want to kill people?
Additional Details
Thank you for the time and energy provided in your supportive answers.

S.T.
Rating
it takes 14 days to get nicotine out of your body but, after 3 days you should start to feel better.
goodluck

Mardesal
Rating
Smoking becomes a compulsive habit...just try not to substitute one compulsive thing for another, like for instance, eating compulsively, or drinking compulsively...Try meditation instead. Every morning try to meditate for at least ten minutes. Program your mind thinking about yourself as a non-smoker.
Now...if you can't avoid having compulsive behaviors (many smokers are prone to be, that's why they get easily hooked in bad habits)..then choose to be compulsive with good things, such as jogging, yoga...
I once told my doctor that I couldn't excercise because I was not constant...and he said..."well, you were constant smoking weren't you?"
So...if you could be a constant smoker, you can also be a constant non-smoker.

susenjungle
Rating
I am sure that it depends on the extent of the addiction. But scientificly it has been proven that it takes 9 months for the body to rid itself of any stored nicotine. So plenty of detoxifying like green tea, water, and excercise will help.

necator_americanus
Rating
there r two types of addiction..one is nicotine and 2nd is behaviour(the addiction of handling cigarrettes and putting it in ur mouth..)..u have to overcome both..u can use patches or nicotine gum to cure nicotine addiction..u can hold something in ur hand..a short pencil,or anything..and chew many gum..seriously..many...GOOD LUCK!!don be afraid to start...juz do it!!nike!!

zen
http://www.tobaccofree.org/quitting.htm

The BEST site on quitting I've seen.

By the son of the RJ Reynolds tobacco family!! (He quit)

Stay strong!

The best tip he gives is, when you feel a craving, LOOK AT THE CLOCK. the craving WILL pass, they only last FIVE MINUTES, each time.

sunnydayzd
Rating
The withdrawl stops after the third day, but it doesn't feel like it until about the 8th day. The important thing to remember is that it only takes 7 days to form a habit, but it takes 21 days to break a habit. So the habit is the hardest part to break and that will take 21 days. I quit for 10 years (started again about 8 months ago...stupid, I know) some tools that helped...all scientific facts, not made up by me.

Take deep breaths when you need a cigarette. The oxygen will help.

Remember a craving will only last for ten minutes.

Excersize helps to reduce cravings.

If you excersize a lot too you wont gain the weight normally gained when you quit smoking. Most people start eating rather than smoking. I also used Nicorette Gum if it got really bad. I didn't follow the instructions by any means. I chewed three pieces of gum total. But it helped me get through the rough patches. I figure why suffer if you don't have to. So there's my 2 cents. Hope it helps!

cutiepie81289
Rating
atleast a month. Don't give up you can do it.

running_with_scissors55
Rating
I quit about 14 years ago and still get cravings from time to time.

So you got that going for you....

Magret
Well in cigarates there is nicotine. Nicotine is a very addicting substance so your carvings are going to last a very long time. CiggaretsHave 200 KNOWN poisons in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!

laurieanne72
Rating
About a week or two.

CONGRATS on stopping smoking!! IT IS SO HARD but SO WORTH IT!!!!!

jerry_melendez
Rating
they dont!

colorapryl
Rating
It kind of depends on the person. I quit two years ago and the first month was the hardest. After that, it is all mental. Just keep telling yourself that you can do it. Get all the support from friends and family that you can. Best of luck to you! You can do this and it will be worht it! :)

home schooling mother
I hope this will be supportive, because it is meant to be.

I quit smoking 25 years ago. I just decided to stop and I did. It was hard at first as I had smoked for quite a while (2-3 years) and smoked constantly, one right after the other.

Now, years later, I go for several months at a time without giving it even a thought. Then, out of nowhere, I will start to wish I could have a cigarette. I don't do it because it is somewhat easy to push the thought aside. But I feel as if, without giving it a thought, I might.

Then months and months will go by without a thought of a cigarette.

The funny thing is, the thing I would most want to smoke is a cigar! :))

nihipali_girlsweetheart
Rating
I think that it depends on the body....

jasmine
Rating
im not sure but i think once u get over the three day hump u can do it and soon u will forget all about it

MOMMY
Rating
You can kick a habit in 21 days. Best of luck.. the first week is the hardest!!!

Popocatepetl
Rating
Congratulations, i havent even tried, im not that strong.
Anyway, maybe it would help to chew some gum, and to eat candies or chocolates.
Good luck!!!

ara_y
Rating
A lifetime...

My dad (now 78) quit after his first heart attack & he still wants me to smoke next to him so he can reminisce...

It's sad, yet harmless. I hope to quit before my first heart attack.

~O

Nunitak
Rating
You will start feeling greatly better in five days. By the end of two weeks 80--90% of cravings are gone. By the end of 30--45 days all cravings are gone.

Remove all ashtrays, matches, lighters. Do not hang out with smoking friends during this process.

If you feel you are almost undable to resist the craving, do not smoke, rather drink a big glass of water and run or walk around outside. That is sufficient. Also, any work requiring concentration, on your computer, writingk, washing the car will take your mind in another direction. Vast amounts of time go by while you are otherwise engaged, just as when you are sleeping.

Drink V8 juice, cranberry juice, orange juice and take a Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D mineral supplement.

Notice how much better you feel everyday. You are succeeding and this is what you want. Thaink of all the money you are saving.

You no longer need to be embarrassed in front of kids.

You can smell the flowers. The world looks brighter.

If an irrestible craving comes along, take a shower and put on clean, fresh smelling clothes. Have a banana split.

If you are under 30 this is far easier as you will eliminate all toxins much more rapidly. The older people will still have the advantage of more mind control.

The cravings may take longer to go away in older people who have smoked for a long time. If you feel you need further help, ask your doctor for a Zyban Rx.

The effort is worth it. Six months later you are an entirely new person.

mjlundell
been 3.2 years so far and i still have a hankering from time to time.

i heard it's imprinted in your brain so thoroughly that it never goes away.

just remember: nobody ever died from not smoking, about 1,000 a day in the US do from smoking

zurcalednauj
Rating
I quit smoking almost six years ago... cold turkey. A pack a day habit for more than 15 years. Personally, I have to tell you that the cravings never really go away, not for me anyway. But their intensity does lessen with time. The urge to light up can catch you at odd times, and you just have to live with it. Some say that the patches or gum can hep you, but I never tried them.

What is really important is how you deal with them, don't give in no matter how bad they get. You always have to keep in mind the reasons you quit smoking and why being smoke-free is important to you and those around you. Good luck.

spinzaar
Rating
seems to me when people drink they smoke agian. If you get drunk alone and not smoke 22 times. you will no longer be addicted to smokeing. however you will be an alcoholic.

Katetrinity
Rating
I have never seen so many answers to one question....I'd say you hit a nerve with a lot of people out here.

Everyone is different with the cravings and what works for one person might not work for you. You have to continue to quit until you hit your spot. I was a bit shocked by the one guy that said the 7th day is the worst. The 7th day was the worst for me too. I could not get rid of the craving..no matter what I did. But, I didn't smoke.

I am 59 years old. I have smoked since I was 14 years old. I didn't even quit when I had children. At the time my kids were born we could (believe it or not) smoke in the labor room. Now, they call it the birthing room. You don't want to hear all that.

At this point in my life I have no choice. I am dying of C.O.P.D (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). I am on inhalers, pills and a machine. I have been in the hospital not able to draw a breath...I JUST quit smoking (AGAIN) 9 days ago....Call me stupid?!?! I cut smoking 2 packs a day to 1 pack. Then I got down to 1 to 2 cigarettes per day. That wasn't too bad..I know I am dying and continue to try and justify a smoke a day.

My doctor has supported me 100 %. He has never smoked but he admits that cigarettes are more difficult to stop than any other drug, bar none. He has helped me more than anyone because he never judges and never becomes upset.

I take 1 day at a time. I can't handle more than that. Stress is the worst thing for my C.O.P.D. I have to go on total disability because I can no longer work. Guess What? I still want a cigarette!! SO, in answer to your question, the answer is NEVER. And if anyone tells you different they are lying or they were never really a dedicated smoker.

Breathe deep and enjoy it. The smoke is not worth it. Who am I kidding? Seriously, it does get easier and you feel very accomplished at the end of the day and you didn't give in. Then you start feeling better and realize you didn't know how bad you really felt until you quit smoking.

Good luck to you! I cover all smokers in my prayers each night that are trying to quit and all smokers who quit, started again and are attempting to quit again. We keep doing it until we get it right....God Bless

Confused
the cravings never go away if you you dont make them. i found that my hardest time was the 7th day. after that the phisical addiction was gone. the rest is all mind control. the cravings will continue untill you stop seeing smokies as good things. when you mentaly stop cherishing them they will stop tormenting you. it's your mind... tell it what you do and dont like. it has to listen, afterall, you are in charge.

NuCarSmell
Rating
It won't take long if you want to be smoke free. I have been off cigarettes for about 2 years now and a few weeks ago, when under extream emotional distress I smoked to calm myself and guess what? I couldn't even do it. I couldn't keep the smoke in my lungs and the taste was nasty. I threw the smoke out. That's after 2 packs a day for over 10 years. You will get there.

sajo
you will always have cravings the urge. I have not smoked for 1 year now and I still will have the craving or urge to take just one drag or just one cigarette (ya know just to remember what it was like ;)). I had to stop hanging out with the people I normally did for about 1 week while I struggled to get past the hardest part of quiting. I would smell them smoking and that would make me want one sooooo bad! that eventually I gave in and smoked just one cigarette and than another and another and another........ I wish you the best of luck Hope you can stick to your decision on quitting smoking.

alaskastone
Rating
I will admit that even after eight years of not smoking, I STILL have dreams that I am smoking. I wake up either being terrified that I started smoking again, or feeling like I just found my best friend again. I have always said that if I ever came down with a terminal disease, the first thing I would do is pick up a smoke, but in all honesty, I don't think I really would. Use all the resources you can to quit, personally, I used the patch and absolutely swear by it. I had no physical withdrawal symptoms at all. Well, except for the smoking dreams that is. Best thing I ever did. So, to answer your question, the cravings last as long as you let them. You will replace the smoking craving with something else. Just choose a good replacement.

Jonathan H
Probably a week or two

Krystina
try looking into quitnet.com ..there was help for me there...maybe it will help you

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.394
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy