Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

Is there a polite way to let someone know about bad breath?
A really nice guy that I just met has terrible bad breath. He seems interested in a relantionship but his bad breath is the only thing turning me off. What options are out there to diminish this? How ...

Do Braces Hurt?

Why my teeths are yellow?
I brush daily but my tooth remain yellow in colour,what is the ...

What is the best painkillers for toothache?

GUM Gum GUM?
Howl ong does your Stride gum last
Additional Details
how long not how l ...

On a scale of 1-10 how bad does a filling hurt?
1 being less pain full and 10 being the most pain full

Is it true that put a shot in your mouth?

I haven't had a filling in forever and i was wondering how it felt...
<...

How can I make my teeth more yellow? Are there strips that can help me do that?
Ive tried to make my teeth white but after not brushing my teeth for 9 years it seems that I cant.

I figured the best thing to do is to have dark yellow teeth. What is the best way to do ...

What is the best method to whiten teeth without having to pay stupid money?
ive heard somoe peoples teeth are naturally yellow. mine are fine i wanna whiten em up a ...

I have a really bad tootth ache and i cant see my dentist until wed what can i do for pain? no oral pain meds.

Does everyone have to get braces on the bottom?
Because my bottom teeth is already straight. Are you do need them because they are gonna shift your jaw in the right spot right..???
But it would look kinda silly without bottom braces lol

Does getting teeth pulled hurt?
I am slow at getting my teeth to come out, and I still have 2 left and I need to get them pulled. I am terrified of the thought of things going in my mouth and I even thought it hurt when I got my ...

No offence, but why do so many British people have bad (buck) teeth?

Best cure for a sore throat?
It's so sore :(...

One of the front teeth is just a bit broken, will it grow back?

Does getting a filling hurt?
I think I need to get a filling in one of my teeth, but I’ve never had one before and I’m a bit worried about it. I don’t want to ask any of my mates about it because they’ll take the mickey ...

Do you brush your teeth....?
with cold or warm water?...

What does NHS stands for?

Do you brush your teeth in the shower?

Additional Details
In the morning I brush my teeth over the sink but at night I shower just before bed, so I brush my teeth in the ...

I am getting braces in august is it true that when the orthodontist tightens them it can cause u to pass out?
i am only 14 and scared to death cause 1 of my front teeth ore fake will that effect anything with my braces and wil i have to use alot of care for that one specific ...

Which is most unattractive - crooked teeth or yellow & stained teeth?
Heya, just wondering which do you dislike more - teeth that are crooked/crowded or teeth which are yellowy or stained. And I don't just mean in a potential partner, just people in general. P...

Me
So how bad is getting your wisdom teeth out and what can i expect? what's the pain similar to?

statices
During the surgery, it will not hurt because of the anesthesia. The dental surgeon will give you prescription for medicine so it will not swell and pain killer if you cannot endure the pain. Also, the dental surgeon will give you instructions on what not to do and what to do while the wound is still fresh.

It always hurt when you drink something with straw. You can ice cream or anything cold when the bleeding stops. It helps a lot to alleviate the pain. It is uncomfortable eating but it really does not hurt so much.

In my case, I took 2 painkillers and a heavy meal before the surgery. Ask you dental surgeon if it will be good for you to do this. I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth removed. It did not hurt a lot. I just took one painkiller after the surgery.

Crystal ♥'s Raymond
it feels like you have a toothache. all you have to do is take some ibuprofen and you'll be fine. it only hurts the day you get them out, but it's not that bad.
don't be worried and you'll be ok.

Kaye
If the teeth are impacted (which means the tooth or its root has grown into the bone of your jaws) the pain will be strong and so will the pain medication! If they aren't impacted, you will be sore for a few days and as long as you don't get an infection, you'll be fine pretty soon after the procedure.

Andy
It was the most painful experience of my life. The pain was similar to being stabbed in the eyeball by a pen knife. Have fun!

ljv1975
It's really not that bad. Take the pain meds they prescribe or just regualr tylenol if you want. Use ice packs to reduce the swelling and keep the extractions ite clean. Eat things that are soft and easy to chew and swallow. When I had mine out I rinsed with warm salt water after all of my meals, and the sites seemed to heal really fast. Don't be afraid - honestly it's not that bad.

lanes
Rating
not bad, expect it to hurt for a few days

Kit
Rating
I got all four pulled at same time. I was under anesthesia.

TXRealtor25
Rating
No pain... ask for darvocet of demoral when healing. I didn't feel a thing! Actually, I did feel happy.

Ronni71
Rating
It's sore for a few days, but I think the worst part of it is that you have to keep gauze in your mouth while the bleeding stops (and the bleeding in itself can upset your tummy a little). They'll give you pain killers to take the edge off. Good luck!

c_dog_aka_monkey_boy
Rating
Depends how many you have, if they are impacted, and how good your oral surgeon is. I had mine out with just a novocaine shot and the shot was the worst of it. Mine was impacted, but I only had one, if you're having more than one out, I expect it gets a little more uncomfortable.

Beano4aReason
Rating
well I had all of mine out at the same time and the next day I ate soup and cried

then it was my best friends 21'st b-day so I gathered round with friends and indulged in alcoholic intoxication and enebriation and then I felt good

I kept the gauze in for like two days so the bleed of the sockets would be under control (changing them frequently) and I was fine and was heeled completely in like a month

also BTW you aren't suposed to drink after the surgery, not only because they give you medication but also because it thins your blood and that isn't good for somoene who has open wounds in their mouth that are bleeding

but I was a stupid kid

you wil be fine!

Chap n' Flowers
Rating
the pain is bad , I can't tell you what to expect ,but I know it will hurt and you will feel very sick, good luck and sorry for you're pain

oh so blue
it's not so bad ... i was eating pizza the next day. they'll numb you up really good and give you nice drugs to keep you comfortable afterwards.

zebobbybird@sbcglobal.net
like getting your teeth ripped out, its kinda like biteing a good hunk of steel out of a rusted chevy

Swede
Not bad at all, just kind of achy for a while. I went to a kegger after getting mine out, really helped numb things up.

whosaidthat?
when i had one of mine pulled, i had them give me the gas..which was fun. so i didn't feel any pain at all. a few hours later it hurt a little, but nothing awful, and they gave me some vicodin so that helped. the worst part is when food gets in the hole, its kinda hard to get it out.
not as painful as you would think.

Dale
Well went I had my taken out, they found that one of them was a double tooth, in other words, it was one tooth growing on top of another.
When they extracted it, they splintered the jaw bone. But they put a self dissolving splint on it. There was no more pain that a normal extraction and I didn't even feel the splint. So you can expect the same as when you have a regular extraction. When I had mine done, dentistry was no way as good as it is now. Then I dreaded going to a dentist, now I have no fear or discomfort. So be glad that you having it done now.

banjuja58
Mine was not much of a problem. I had four out at the same time, general anesthesia. The doctor prescribed a strong pain pill, but I just took it the first day, didn't need it after that. Your jaw will be swollen for a couple of weeks, probably; the doctor can also give you something to minimize that. The yuckiest part was waking up every morning for a couple of weeks with lots of blood in my mouth, but that was just annoying, not painful or harmful.

senacia
Rating
It kinda depends on how you get them out.

I was put to sleep for it, and when they got in there, they found that the teeth were starting to imbed themselves into the next teeth beside them and the roots were LONG. They had to shatter the teeth and take out the pieces.. and because I was asleep, they werent gentle in doing it!

If you just get local anestetic (sp), I think they would be gentler.. because you see what they're doing but not feeling it.

I had brusing and swelling once they were out and I was awake. Afterwards, it was just a throbbing feeling, but you can feel the holes where they were and irrigating them was a bugger.. but if you dont get infection, it's not too bad. Also, the meds (codine and percacet <sp>) should help in handling the pain and making you feel happy! :) Make sure you take the antibiotic though,.. you DONT want an infection.

ME!
well I dont know about wisdom teeth cause im only 14 but ive had one tooth pulled before and it dosnt hurt while there pulling it it hurts for like 1 or 2 days after the numb wears off

tm_mcdnnll
Rating
As much as you will be some what uncomfortable after the procedure, remember to stock up on ice before hand. I placed ice in a ziplock bag and placed it on the side of my face every twenty minutes with ten minutes without. This helps to keep down the swelling. Do this for the first two days.

Sam
Rating
When people ask for encouragement about getting their wisdom teeth out, I like to share this story about my three children.

I removed two of my older daughter's wisdom teeth at 2:00 in the afternoon and told her to go home and lie down until dinner time. Before I got home, she had already left for the mall! I was rather angry, because I figured that she'd be moaning all night long and asking me what to do for the pain. Much to my happy surprise, she seemed just fine. She said that she waited until the numbness started to go away and she felt pretty good, so she decided to get up and go.

Same thing with my son. We were actually headed home from a drum lesson and he asked if we could stop in the office to check out the sore place in his mouth. It turned out to be an erupting wisdom tooth. He asked if I felt like taking it out right then, so I did. (I was afraid he might change his mind if he thought about it overnight.) His mom didn't even know he had a wisdom tooth taken out until he had to take the gauze out of his mouth to eat dinner. His uppers were both kind of difficult and he had trouble healing with one of them (sinus involvement), but that didn't last for more than 3 or 4 days.

With my third child, I took her to the oral surgeon, because the roots were sort of close to the nerve and _I_ didn't want to be the one to cause her any trouble if things got difficult. She had nitrous oxide and little bit of iv sedation and had all four removed at once. I wanted to get her right home, but she asked me to stop off at the mall before we went home. She insisted that she was okay. Instead of going home and lying down, she walked through the mall. Yes, she was biting on her gauze packs (in the mall!), but still she was a lot more active than I would recommend. She had no trouble at all healing. I think she went out that night, too. (It was 1999, so I don't remember the details.)

I'm not saying that they are ALL like this, but there are wisdom teeth and then there are w*!`S^D@m TEETH!!! I always say that wisdom teeth (and root canals, by the way) are like teenagers. At least 90% are no trouble at all, but everybody talks about the bad ones.

Also, see http://www.webmd.com/hw/dental/tm6328.asp

Anne R
They will likely put you under general anesthetic like they did for mine, meaning you are completely out. I actually woke up and asked if they had done it yet! That's how out I was. They give you pain killers and they help a lot, it's basically just a manageable, dull pain because of them. The stitches do feel strange but again it doesn't cause much pain. So there really isn't anything to worry about as long as you keep rinsing with salt water to prevent infection.

wmichgrad
It doesn't hurt at all until the pain medication wears off. Then you'll probably be on 200mg of ibuprofen. Plan on resting for a couple of days and having swollen cheeks for a 3 -4 days.

Paul T
Not as bad as everyone cracked it up to be. I had nine teeth taken out at one time (five wisdom teeth cut out + four other teeth yanked). I was eating spaghetti the very next day. The bottom teeth hurt worse than the top because of your jaw and because the blood tends to pool a bit more. Other than that... have some strong ibuprofin and you should be good to go. Good luck!

Shelly
my mom has gotten them out and she was always in pain for like a week or 2....it depends on ur tolerance for pain and how quickly u heal i guess....when my mom got put under for it she was "awake" i guess when they left and she didnt even remember leaving there or gettin home.....

Napoleon Dynamite
Rating
Eating some rock hard Tots.

Paula from Maple Street
Rating
I had four out at once, and the surgery itself didn't hurt. I was on gas and awake for the whole thing. There was a lot of pulling and weird sounds, but no pain. The pain meds took care of any pain afterwards, but left me feeling real sleepy and weak. I think I took two days off of work, mostly because I was on drugs.

bobpon
If your dentist is worth his salt there will be absolutely no pain, except for some discomfort some hours later and perhaps for the next day or two.

Lion
Rating
no

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, March 24, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy