Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

Could I chew gum with braces?
I just got braces a few months ago. And everyone is telling me to chew gum. But i don't want to have any problems. Should I try chewing it?...

The youngest?
what would be the youngest age of dentist/orthodontist you would ever let work on you and ...

Whats the best way to whiten your teeth without spending a fortune?

Should I really get my wisdom teeth pulled?
I'm 17 and my mom and my older brother think I should just get my wisdom teeth pulled now so they won't cause problems later. The dentist told me that all four are impacted and since they�...

Do teeth whitening strips really work? ....If so, which are the best to use?

Is the dentist ripping me off?
So, I went to the dentist the other day and I got my regular teeth cleaning. Then they said that I 'need' sealants on 15 of my teeth. (a clear coat the covers your teeth) because my grooves ...

I went to the orthodontist today...?
..and I got rubber bands attached to my braces and they pull back my front-top teeth and they hurt like hell. How do I get rid of the pain without taking them out (I already took 2 advil and I have ...

I broke my teeth, now what gona i do?
While practicing in nets of Cricket. I have broke my right side teeth.
Its not broken from root, 3/4 part is broken. Now what should i do. I am 19 of age....

Im getting braces on January 8 im scared!?
Please tell me whatever you think will happen? WILL IT HURT???? HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET THEM ON???

How to get rid of a toothache?
My wisdom teeth are coming in, and I don't have the money right now to go to the dentist and get anything take ncare of. Anyone know of a good way to help get rid of a toothache?...

Is an 8 year old too young for braces??
My daugher is 8 years old, and has a serious overbite and 2 front teet are BIG. Some kids make fun of her and say she looks like a rabbit. Since she is still losing her baby teeth, l guess it'...

Is root canal treatment painful.im getting it done next week?

My Dentist has changed me from an NHS patient to a private patient. Can he do this?
I had to go for an urgent root canal and the total charge at the end was £200. I was an nhs patient and the dentist still takes on new nhs patients but he told me I'm no longer an nhs patient ...

Wisdom Teeth: Surgery or Pulled?
I've been informed that I need to get my wisdom teeth out; most importantly the top left one in particular is decayed. It's fully in though, due to the fact that I had back teeth pulled ...

How long does it take for dissolvable stitches to dissolve after a dental surgery?
are they better than normal stitches?
Additional Details
how do I know when they dissolve?
I can't really open my mouth to see anything b/c of the surgery......

(living in the UK)I booked an appointment at the dentist and they said ...........?
..they have a place available in october so thats booked, but that is to long, i understand that its very hard to get an early appointment with the issue with the goverment etc, But it is important. W...

What do patients look for in a dentist?
I am a general dentist and want to really help people become more comfortable with coming to the dentist. I would like some input on experiences people have had. What would make your dental ...

My jaw keeps feeling like its popping, what do i do?
It keeps popping and it hurts but I don't know what to do about it to get it to stop. Please help....

If i go to the dentist,will the dentist tell my parents that i smoke?
ok... ive been smoking for atleast about 1 1/2 years and my teeth arent really straight and both of my front teeth are chiped and even the middle is chipped to in between both of my front teeth,yes ...

Dentist is pulling 10 of my teeth tomorrow..?
any words of advice for all the pain I'm to be in?...

Sara K
Please BRACES HELP!!!!?
I''m a 15 year old girl and i'm getting braces tomorrow..what are some things that i need to look out for or is it going to hurt? what are the main things i should eat when i first get them on..and after! when will it hurt the most..? do i have to get a shot? help me....i'm nervous..tips anybody?
Additional Details
do ur lips bleed from being pulled back soo much? like cracking and stuff?? ouch.....

bandgeek
well, i personally dont have any experience with braces, but my uncle's a dentist and he said to eat pineapples before going in. supposed to help with pain or something, just remember to brush your teeth afterwards though

2HOTT4U!
It mostly hurts after they have the braces on. I didn't get a shot when i went to get mine on. I hear that orthodontists don't use needles. Mainly I ate soup and soft stuff. It's normal for at a part of the day when your suposed to be eating you really just don't want to cause it hurts. Eventually you get you apetite back! Hope this helps! :]]

Dominic
The actual application of the braces isnt fun but it won't hurt.
After they get put on you will experience soreness, and you will experience soreness each time you get them adjusted. Chapstick on application day is a must so that your skin does not break.

For me, it hurt ALOT. WAYYY too much. But for others, it may be barely noticeable. It depends on the individual.

Natallie M
not at all just don't chew gum no you don't need a shot my 8 year old sister has them and is scared of everything and loves her braces also don't wear them with colors they look so so so so so bad get clear I had clear and they looked like a retainer

Maggie .
Rating
it hurt a lot for me too...and i still have them!

the best thing i'd have to say is be very careful when ur chewing...any minor thing can break somthing in there lol...

good luck!

Insert Name Here.
Rating
-At first they don't hurt, I guess I'd just say your mouth feels "akward".
-But after a couple hours they hurt like a b****.
-Eat mushy foods that require no chewing when you first get them on.
-After you've had them you can eat basically anything except nuts, gum (killed me, lol), apples (chopped up is fine though), etc.
-No shots, but once you get home take advil or tylenol cause it will hurt.
-Your lips shouldn't crack, unless they are already super dry.

little one
Rating
the stuff they put them on with tastes nasty!!!
but it doesnt hurt when youre getting them on at all...its after that that you have to look out for
after a while it will hurt like hell! take advil before it starts to hurt...warm showers helped me for some reason.
eat things like soup...apple sauce and yogurt...anything you can just swallow because if your top and bottom teeth touch it feels like youve been whacked with a hammer
the pain will fade throughout around four days maybe five
you dont have to get a shot:)
don't be too nervous...the beautiful smile at the end will be worth it all
good luck!

♥Nebby Kat♥
Rating
no shot, stay away from gum, popcorn, potato chips, celery, gumi bears anything chewy. It doesn't hurt to get them on but it feels so weird to get them off it feels like your mouth is being taken out. After you get them out you will always want to lick your teeth. The cement that they use to put stick them on astes soooooooooooo bad though. If you have any questions email me =D

Wakeboarder Mike
Rating
Getting them on doesn't hurt at all. No shot. But you mouth may be sore for a day or two after you get them on, so just get some soup and Ramen noodles. Maybe some mashed potatoes or cottage cheese. But you'll be fine within a day or two. Just make sure that you bring some chap stick the day you get them on, because they have your mouth held open, and your lips could get sore or cracked. Good luck. You'll be happy with the results!

Midge
Rating
No shots. Yes you will be a little sore when you first get them and after adjustments. The first few days kind of watch what you eat. Steak will be hard to chew, chicken gets stuck in shreds through out your mouth. Cut up or break foods into small pieces. A hot dog can be cut into 50 pieces and still taste the same. LOL experiment and give it time you will figure out how to eat just about everything. (Other than the nono list your ortho gives you).

As time goes by you will hardly feel pain after adjustments. A little sore from time to time as the teeth shift. I was chewing freedent after I had them on for about 6 months but now I have rubber bands I can 'tchew it anymore.

Remembre keep them clean. Get a waterpik and an electric toothbrush. They will become your new best friend. Floss on a regular basis. I floss at least every other day. Pack a dental bag with a travel tooth brush your floss, toothpaste and a cup if you can find one that collapses.

Check out archwired.com for additional info or to questions. Good luck it is well worth it. I wish I had done it 10 years ago.

Mommyk232
Rating
Hi Hun...
First off, congrats! I know you have a lot of worries- but you are being blessed with the opportunity to have a life long lovely smile.
Of course everyones situations are different, but I have never heard of anyone having shots. The most painful times are when you go in to get the tightened. Take a few motrin and hour before you go and take them like clockwork for 24 hours after. They may scrape the inside of your mouth a bit. They will give you wax to put over the braces in the areas that do this.
Stay away from hard and sticky foods. Your dentist will tell you a lot more stuff tomorrow.
Just keep remembering how awesome it will be when it is all over.
Good luck!

belllina
Rating
Getting the braces put on doesn't hurt at all and no you don't need a shot...it's completely painless to get them on, but for the first couple days it will feel a little ackward. After a couple days you may feel a bit of pressure as your teeth start to straighten a bit. Stick to liquid or soft foods. You won't even want to eat lots of solid foods. Try smoothies, yogurt, soup, etc.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy