Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

What do you miss about your childhood?
I miss all my legos......

What's the secret of happiness?
Serious answers please - I have suffered on and off with depression all my life, and never seem to able to enjoy my life and be happy with what I've got. How does everyone else manage it?...

I'm 19 and I still watch Telitubies.What is wrong with me?
I dont have children....

Why can't i stop skipping classes?
i just dont care about school anymore. i know when i dont go to class i'm going to get caught but i still do it. some times i just end up comming for one period. my mum knows i do it, and she ...

What or who made you laugh this week?

Additional Details
I love Extras with Ricky Gervais, he makes me laugh out ...

14 and depressed?
For probably a 2-3 years I have been feeling increasingly depressed. There has been no trigger for the depression to start, nothing bad has happened to me, and yet I feel so unhappy. My depression ...

Have you ever had the kind of day where you want to stay inside the house and not face the world at all?

I Need to Die?
I tried ti kill myself months ago with out sucess. This time I plan to go to work on Monday and then when I finish work on monday stay in a B&B and then on tuesday I'm on a course and when I...

Your opinions on suicide?
Have you ever tried to commit suicide?

Was it a real and failed attempt or a cry for help? And do you get p****d off with people who say it's selfish? (For those who dont know it is ...

Am i crazy?
i talk to myself. i dont do any thing bad. i'm depressed and hate life. i've had eating disorders. i cant trust any one. thats why i'm asking you, cause you dont know who i really am....

I am 5'7, and I have no confidence in myself because I am too tall...what do I do to feel good about myself
When I am around my friends I feel weird cause I am the tallest one there, and I dont feel comfertable around them. I am so worried, what can I do??
Additional Details

Suicide methods?
Can someone please tell me the quickest way to do this - have tried cutting my wrists but I can seem to cut deep enough - please dont try to talk me out of it I've had enough i want to go - ...

Is it illegal to commit suicide?

What do you do when your mad?

Have you got Alzeimer's - try this test - it's wicked!!?
Count the "F's" in the following text and let me know how many you got then I'll reveal the answer to you:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-

My friend is turning into a huge sl*t and is doing drugs. I'm trying to make hers top but nothing is working!
My good friend is doing drugs and becoming a big sl*t. I want her to stop being that way but nothing seems to be working! I used to be suicidal and she knows this so I told her that if she doesn'...

I am a victim of rape. I have lived with the guilt for about 6 months. Is there ne way I can get over it fast?

I am suffering from depression just lately. Please Help?

Im gonna die?
im 15 & i cant sleep @ night. i lie awake in bed every school night. im so tired @ school. i lie awake as the hours go by. i dont drink caffeine or exercise. what should i do? i have to go to ...

My New Girlfriend is an Alcoholic! What should I do?
I have just found out that my new girlfriend of only 5 months is an alcoholic. I had know idea until this weekend when I found her totally drunk, dilerious and injured. It scared me like nothing in ...

juno
I think im depressed but dont want to take meds?
I think im depressed but i dont want to take medications. Ive talked to different doctors and they all said its a stage im going thru but it must be a really long stage because ive been this way since i was 14? What are some ways to help with depression without taking meds for it I want to feel better not feel nothing and be like a zombie

angelsrose_01
Rating
i can answer this for you because i suffer from clinical depression, some of the ways you can treat it without meds is....know what your warning signs are, the trigger.like what sets you off, each day you can write 10 or as many as you want good things about yourself,if you have a hard time talking to people or friends or family try a journal so at least you can get these bad thoughts at least its out of your head and on paper,talk to theripst or a counselor if still in school....well thats all i can say about that if you still need more help im always here and i know what you mean about being a zombie from meds, drop me a message if you ever want to talk or need some one to talk to okay......hope this helps and stay safe

Aaron S
There are many different ways to battle depression. I think that one of the best ways to deal is using counseling. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can work wonders if you commit yourself to it. Finding the right one is the trick. You have to find someone who clicks with you.

You can also try to work on exercising more, eating better, and generally trying to live as healthy a life as possible.

However getting help is key!!! And if it is severe depression, you really should consider suggested medication in combination with therapy and life changes.

sharelle_vaughn
I've suffered depression all my life the constant feeling down and lonely and the feeling nobody cares you really need to talk to someone other than doctors like family or close friends someone to help you through the the dark patches that blight your life throw yourself into achieving something worthwhile or join a gym something you can do for yourself knowing you have did it and try to love yourself and think to hell with everyone else I love me and if all else fails I'm afraid you might need to take the pills people who love you don't wanna see you like that Good Luck in finding happiness because i think you deserve it

CHELLE BELLE
Exercise can help

CrazyCatLady
Rating
Try St. Johns Wort. You can find it in the herbal section of your local drugstore.

queenwegu
Rating
There are many medications with varying strengths. I was always against medication for depression, I always thought it meant you were weak. I was in an abusive relationship and started to have panic attacks. When I went to the doctor's he asked me if I was depressed, I really didn't think I was. He said that depression and stress are major causes of panic attacks, and he put me on Paxil. I didn't want to take it, but the panic attacks were coming so frequently, it was getting so that i couldn't leave my house. I was on a very small dosage, and when i started taking the medication, the panic attacks stopped, but it didn't change my personality or make me a zombie, it actually worked. After being on it for a year or so, the doctor took me off it. I have had no panic attacks, and I feel really good now. (I also ended the relationship) So, if the docotr does prescribe you something, take it, if you find that you are zombie like, report it to your doctor and see if he or she can lower the dosage. Chances are you will not need the medication forever, and hopefully you will feel better. Good Luck!

→♥SEXY♥�
a really good therapist or just someone who you can talk to and let ,whats depressing you out, will help.

dtwladyhawk
Were you molested at age 14? Was there a stressful enviornment?? I was depressed most of my child hood and on and off since. My kids lifted my spirits and enabled me to repress my childhood. I am on meds and feel great. I am 54. Better late than never. Menopause and breast cancer put me over the edge. I am not a zombie-I just told my husband where to go, does that sound like a zombie??

megypye@sbcglobal.net
You can try an herbal remedy like St. John's Wort. It doesn't turn you into someone else, but it can take the edge off. Instead of feeling like staying in bed, I can do what I know I need to do and feel a little less irritable. Make sure to split your doses- spread them throughout the day, like one in the morning one in the afternoon, so you can find some balance. It's not a miracle drug, but when it comes to metal health, who really wants one? Anything that changes your mental state severely must have some consequences.

ctuncoglu
SHORT ANSWER: EXERCISE !!

50% of depressed people see improved mood changes even after 1 short exercise a week.

Stay away from drugs except some B Vitamin complex...

Good luck.

miko
Rating
First and foremost, examine your values. What do you believe in? What do you believe is wrong? Are you doing anything that you believe is a sin? If so, stop. Come clean and let go of it. Are you doing the things you believe you should be doing? If not, start. Once you have your priorities straightened out, you will probably feel better.

Next, work on an exercise plan. Do something you like-skating, dancing, running, swimming, etc. Do it to the beat of uplifting music. Create your own Seratonin reuptake inhibitors.

Volunteer! Work with children. They can be aggravating but when you have helped them, they really show it; which will help you.

Hello
Exercise, outside if you can! Both exercise and sunshine are proven antidepressants.

Kattee G
The easiest way to help with out medication is exercising and getting outside. The endorphins from exercising really get your mind happier. Also if you smoke, quit and if you drink lay off... at least that's what they say. Maybe start taking an evening walk around your neighborhood.

gnomes31
Rating
Go see someone who isn't just a doctor and who doesn't only rely on meds. Someone who has holistic or natural healing in their description or a doctor of Osteopathic medicine. Now don't assume that they are always right either but they tend to believe in more of a whole body approach. You won't get the here take these and see me next year approach.
I don't believe that anyone can get better on just meds alone so find your self someone to talk to so you can start dealing with what issues are causing it and so you can learn to cope better. It's ok to feel depressed at times you just can't let it control your life.

Good Luck

tacker99
st johns wart really isnt meds.... whattya think

adgirl
Rating
You can try St. Jons Wort. It is an over the counter supplement. Also exercise releases endorphins in your brain that help make you feel better.

Green eyed girl
Rating
Well, maybe you are going to the wrong type of Doctor. You should try alternative medicine, such as a DOM (Doctor of Oriental Medicine), or a Nautropath (ND). Their are SO MANY natural "meds" that help your body to bring hormones, cortisol, serotonin, and other bio chemic levels in the body back to the normal or natural range, you'd be amazed. If you really don't want to go to the Doctor but are willing to try something natural you should try St. John's Wort, or Valerian, Black Cohosh, or even the over the counter Relacore, which is sold as a weight loss medication but has no appetite suppressant in it. These medicines work in a natural fashion, replenishing the body to it's natural balance thus making you feel "normal", and even happier. All of these supplements are sold at Walmart at a very reasonable prices, making them really accessible to you. I also would recommend spending some time each day outside, and also time exercising. The endorphins that are let off during these actions do wonders for you, and how you feel. I've been border line depressed at many times in my life, and like you don't want to be "disconnected", so I go the natural route, and it does wonders. I wish you a renewed happy heart, good luck!

russgipson
Rating
i suggest changing your diet maybe wirk out a little and just get out and do stuff

alohacanuck
Having personally had depression, there are a number of things to try. Purchase full-spectrum light-bulbs for your room/house. They are like sun-light. Eat healthy and exercise every day whether you feel like it or not. Make a point to laugh/have fun/hang with friends/happy people. Set goals that are realistic ex. I'm going to cuddle a puppy every saturday. If you have any suicidal thoughts, return to the doctor. Depression can go either way no matter what you do. Remember that only you really knows 'you' so be a good advocate for 'you' when necessary. God bless you.

chunkysmom3502
Exercise!!! It will make you feel better. Also try keeping a journal so you know what triggers your depression and then you can attempt to fix it from there. Hope this helps!

Allan P
dude, take the meds,
I tried to ignore it too
DONT
I had a mental break
cut myself and almost comitted suicied

I felt horrible
still do, just about what happened
but the meds help, and have good friends they can help get you through it

Angie
Rating
Like you, I've been depressed since pre-teen and I am now 36 years old. I hate taking any kind of medication although my doctor prescribed Rx's at least twice. I am not currently on meds, and go through rough patches, but the thing that helps me is breaking those old habits that put me into those depressive moods. Going to the gym helps and occasionally hanging out with friends (non-alcohol related). I used to just sleep all of the time and stay shut inside the house, but I force myself to socialize and do things that take me away from the norm and it helps sometimes.

C Neg
Rating
First of all I'm with you about not wanting to take meds. I've been depressed to a point near suicide, and I believe our society's beliefs about it are all wrong. I think it's natural. Society has stigmatized it to the extent that it is a disease. Others fear disease and will avoid victims of depression, exacerbating the illness. People need to get real, and be more compassionate about victims of depression. It's part of the human condition.

Questions for you: 1. What is going on in your mind that has life not working for you? Example: if you are unemployed and lonely then of course it's reasonable you would be depressed.

2. Otherwise, if you have the perfect job, perfect mate, perfect life and you are still depressed, what's missing in your outlook? Are you being honest with yourself about it being the perfect this and that or is something missing? What is a roadblock to your joy? Is it you think there's always something better, do you feel out of place, a stranger in your own shoes, disconnected, directionless, lost?

#1. Is Situational
#2. Is Emotional, Spiritual, Mental.

For situational depression, fix what's broken in your life. I know that's simplistic, but it's really true. Do anything you can. Focus only on this, do not dwell on setbacks or the emotional commentary. Ask for help. Believe you will get help. Believe people want to help you and let them help you.

For spiritual depression,
* do a deep survey of yourself.
* It may be a time to un-learn things and look at life differently.
* It may be a time to try some wildly different explorations, actions to explore.
* Challenge yourself, get outside of yourself.
* Finally, try doing something very good and selfless for someone else.
* Volunteer.
* Get in life and try to focus on the goodness you see that is in everything.
* Write out a PLAN for how you will address your depression. Sometimes just this attempt itself will be revealing.
----------
Personally, I've been trapped in a morass/downward spiral since last year after losing my job, girlfriend, trust of my parents, a couple of betrayals from my friends, etc. I've gone thru a spiritual depression. I felt abandoned. I wanted to die. Then it turned outward into hate and anger. Which, in a way, is better since it protected me from myself. Then I ran away to Portland OR from everyone in my life. Then I was lonely, but then i learned how to be alone and not lonely. I did this by swallowing my rage and finding calm.

I've taken the time for self-introspection, done personal development seminars, etc. But meditation and exercise have helped me the most. Although i was skeptical at first, I did Vipassana meditation, which is a technique for spiritually detoxifying oneself thru the use of equanimity to sensations on the body (exploits the mind-body connection). It give real results immediately.

I also take New Chapter St. John's wort herbal supercritical extract and I allow myself to sleep and dream more. I really let my body do what it wants to do while I'm depressed. I don't try to work against it. My work is in keeping my mind positive.

wolfdance1978
Rating
You probably feel like nothing and feel like a zombie right now. Antidepressants are formulated to make you feel better and make you feel like living life again. It's not going to get better on its own, especially if you've felt this way since you were 14. You are waiting on the depression to pass, but meanwhile, life is passing you by. I was in a deep depression and took Prozac. It really helped me feel happier in general and I felt like living again. I wanted to get out and do stuff and I didn't feel like just laying around all day. Meds for depression don't make you zone out, they perk you up (mentally). You should at least give it a try. Good Luck!

j3nny3lf
Rating
When your medications are properly adjusted, you don't feel like a zombie. You feel a NORMAL range of emotions, joy, depression, everything, but within normal ranges instead of deep dark gloomy depths of hell. In other words, what regular people feel.

Talk to your doctor. Find out what medications would be right for you. They generally start you out on a very low dose and increase it slowly until your symptoms are settled but you still feel human. :)

d
Hun, no matter how much you don't want to, take the meds. They've helped me very much. You are probably clinically depressed, since it's been such a long period of time. Clinical depression can be dangerous and even cause suicide. I take zoloft for my depression, and I noticed a big change since when I was depressed. I was smiling more, more cheerful, happy, bright. Zoloft doesn't make you an unfeeling zombie. Talk to your doctor about being prescribed it.

cyann51
Rating
I too am depressed have been most of my life but now I take a low dose of anti depression med. It does not make me feel all doped up. However it has helped, I still have my times, but I am happy with the low dose med. It may b worth the try, u can always stop if u don't like them... It won't hurt ya, and who knows, u too may feel a little better. go on give it a try for yourself and see what happens.. Good luck

roritr2005
If you truly are depressed, as in a chemical imbalance, there is no way to fix it without medication. If you continue to ignore it, the symptoms will simply get worse until you can't think and can't stay awake-trust me, I know. If it is a stage you are going through, then if you change your lifestyle to do the opposite of what you are doing now, you should feel better. I would also suggest keeping a journal to keep your thoughts and feelings in. It helps you sort things out. Hope this helps!!!

mcd
Rating
If you're severely depressed, you need meds. Nothing else works for that.

If it's milder, you can try (with no guarantee of success), vigorous exercise, sam-e, st john's wort, and lots of social contact with people..

mlgable
Rating
There is really nothing you can do for depression if you don't get it treated. When you take meds for it you don't "feel nothing" and you are not a "zombie". This is not what the right meds do. THe right meds make you feel like your old self again. They lift that grey cloud off and bring you back to life.

MSB1963
Oh dear! While I understand your fear of medications, there is no way around it. Sure, you can exercise or get involved in activities to keep your mind occupied; however, since you seem to be suffering from clinical depression, once you are in the downtime mode, your depression will only return. I have been involved in two very serious accidents within 5 weeks of one another back in 2002 and, as a result, am suffering from severe Fibromyalgia and MS. One of the treatments for Fibromyalgia does involve an anti-depressant and it took quite some time to get the right one for me. I am now, aside from all the other meds my condition requires, taking Cymbalta. I am not going to lie and tell you that I am my old self again, but it has really improved my mood by much. I still go throught stages of despair and hopelesness, but with the type of excrutiating physical pain, the mental pain is never far. I too was afraid that the anti-depressants would turn me into a Zombie, as you call it, but that really is not true, once the right dose was balanced out. Don't expect miracles overnight, but in the long run, I don't think I would have been able to keep my mental stability, had it not been for the meds. I am a single Mom, raising a teenage boy on nothing but disability income and am considered way below the poverty line; however, my child is what keeps me going. Because neither one of my accidents were my fault, I have sought legal help and enlisted the help of an attorney. Gosh, he alone is enough to make me take anti-depressants :) It's been 5 yrs. and I haven't been paid as of yet, but I will not give up hope and trust that I will, somehow, overcome all of the obstacles and get my health under control. At least enough to being able to guide my son into manhood until he can stand on his own two feet. Without the aide of the medication that would have never been possible. Ms Finley, don't give up and please do get medical help. A good anti-depressant, as I said, it takes a while to find the right one, will help you regain your normal life. You have suffered long enough, dear. Don't wait any longer. Go see a good doctor, one you trust and talk about what is bothering you. You can also enlist the help of self-help and/or support groups, but the medication is what is going to get your chemical imbalance in your brain (and that is what depression is) under control. Please, do this and you will see just how much better you can feel. God Bless and I hope and pray that you will feel better soon. MsB.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy