Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

How painful is a root canal and how long does it hurt for afterwards?

Why is toothpaste generally mint flavoured?
Is there a medical reason for this or does it just taste fresh?...

The best or cheapest way to fill a gap from a missing tooth ?

I am a full time uni student aged 20 livin on my own, am i entilited to get dental treatment on the nhs.?

What o you do first? brushing your teeth or flossing?

600 mg of Ibuprofren.. is this dangerous to take every 6 hrs?
Hi, Im having some extreme wisdom tooth pain.. Im due to have it extracted next week of thursday..
my question is ; Is it dangerous to take ibuprofren 600mg every 6 hrs?
this is what I ...

What will u do if u know u will die tomorrow?

What is better?
what makes more money a nurse or dentist?...

Hot pink and black braces?
im havivg braces on soon carnt wait but will hot pink and black look good for a teen with brown hair and brown eyes !...

How come one of my teeth is dark?
my 2 front teeth, one of them is normal and the other one is dark....like the whole teeth looks shaded....it dont ...

Will a Retainer Straighten My Teeth?
I am the age of 29, and I am trying to get a better smile, but I hate that one of my front teeth overlap the other by a little bit. I was wondering if I could wear a retainer instead of braces to ...

The NHS why is it in so much trouble. (UK)?
I have been reading the Sunday newspaper today (The People) and it gives a disturbing report on the state of the NHS

Operations being cancelled
Wards being closed
Long waiting ...

My tooth aches when hot/cold touches it....?
I have fillings in just about every tooth surrounding the area of pain...I went to the dentist, had xrays....then he tells me he doesn't see anything that would be causing pain....then suggests I...

Who has had a root canal and is it as bad as it sounds?
I hate the dentist - I play hockey, rugby and football so I don't mind getting smacked, punch or kicked but for some reason I get anxiety even thinking about going to the dentist. That drill ...

Is grinding your teeth at night caused by drinking to much pop?
if not what is it caused from?...

Is gum good for you?
Dose it really help you have white teeth?...

Braces.......?
i am 12 and i have to get braces soon. do they hurt when you get them on? how long does it take? on a scale 1-10 how much do they hurt after?...

Why do you get fillings?
what are fillings for?!?!?!?!?!?!...

BRACES - what does the tooth glue that orthodontists use taste like?
i heard it tastes like sealence (the stuff that your dentist puts on your molars so you can chew - which i HAVE had done) but i am not sure....is it ok to swallow? help!!...

I'm having my wisdom teeth out. Any stories, good or bad?

jskaliski
How can you stop braces from hurting after you just got them?
I kinda don't wanna wait cuz I'm trying to eat and it hurts!!!

scorpio8483
you can take some pain killers, but make sure they aren't anti-inflammatory. you need your gums to be able to swell, it helps your teeth move in the direction the braces are pulling them. also, if your braces are rubbing on the insides of your mouth, use some wax on those areas. The pain will go away in a week or so, and will hurt when they make adjustments to your braces at the dentist. Just eat soft foods like mashed potatoes, or eat soups. It's uncomfortable, but you'll get ised to it. when you get your barces off, you'll be so happy and think that it was all worth it to have a pretty smile.

tweetybird37406
I know what your going through...I had them, and it hurt like hell. there really isn't anything that could help because it's making your teeth move, but maybe try some orajel or something like that. it might help you out some. I once was drinking some water, and I accidentally bumped the glass against my teeth...Gosh..I wanted to cry it hurt so bad, so believe me I know EXACTLY what you're going through. hope this helps

Liz
Rating
You just have to take paracetamol and eat soup & mashed potato for the first couple of days. It does settle down, and eventually you almost forget you've got them.

joyceheatherington
Rating
Eat soft foods. I remember the hurted for hrs after I got them tightened. But when you eat, eat only soft foods. eating certain foods will definatly make your teeth hurt with your braces on.

Pooh
take advil before you go to the othrodontist and after...

Kitt
There is not much you can do. Take Tylenol for discomfort and put wax around any areas that rub your gums. It will get better in a couple of days.

Andy Jones
Rating
You really can't do much, other than maybe a small amount of tylenol. It really should get manageable in a just a couple of days, and then you will hardly notice it at all.

Dr. Nick
Give it 5 days to get rid of the pain. If your over 12 I would take an Advil pill which will keep the pain to a minimum.

sandy h
Rating
go get some numbing lotion at the drug store and take some advil

Edward W
Rating
stick apiece of dental wax where the discomfort is, they should have sent dental wax home with you.

Lilly K
You cannot. Take Tylenol before your appointment to help with the pain. You can continue taking Tylenol later in the day as needed.

Afterwords you should plan on eating only soft foods. Mashed potatoes, jello, juices, soups, canned ravioli, spaghetti O's, puddings, etc. My son and daughter used to have me buy baby food for after their appointments. Their favorites were the fruits. By the next day they were feeling better and could eat eggs, sandwiches and so forth.

Good Luck!! :)

►黄人◄
painkillers! j/k

you can't. it will naturally hurt cause your mouth tissue did not expect it. after a while, the tissues will harden, and it won't hurt anymore.

or you can put a piece of plastic infront of the braces, but i wouldn't recomend

HeatherS
Rating
Take some Advil or Motrin and give it about 30 minutes to give you some relief. You are going to be uncomfortable for a few days, keep taking the anti inflammatory/Ibuprofen they do help. For the first few days, stick to soft things to eat. Especially cold things, help reduce the pain. Milk shakes, smoothies, things like that. Then over the next few days try adding scrambled eggs, soups, spaghetti and stuffed baked potato's. Before too long you'll be able to eat normal again, just take it slow and cut up everything into small bites. But for the next few day, stick to the softest and coldest. You will be able to tell when it's time to try harder things, just don't push it making them sore again! It really does get easier, give it some time and think of the perfect smile your going to have! Good luck!

PS You can and should take Motrin or Advil for the pain. If you are unsure, call your Orthodontist office and they will advise you of this. I wish those who don't know what they are talking about, would not say anything.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy