Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Top 10 ways to avoid ANY cancer?
What are the top 10 ways to avoid any cancer disease? what food, what vitamins?

So we can all be healthy and strong =D...

Can smoking marajuana cause cirrhosis of the liver?

What are some songs about breast cancer?

Which works best: nicotine patch, gum or lozenge?

Question about cancer?
Does cancer hurt?...

Second opinion needed. How do we go about getting one? Mom diagnosed with terminal cancer.?
I have electronic copy of reports. Doctors at current hospital refuse to treat her for fear that treatment will cause her already reduced functioning kidneys to fail. They have recommended Hospice ...

Why there is no medicine or treatment to cure Blood cancer and AIDS?
what are the difficulties to invent medicine to cure blood cancer and AIDS ...

Can you tell me what it means that your body is low in potassium?

I am suppose to have a Mastectomy?
If the Dr. removes the nipple, what are my options? I have heard of tattoos and making a nipple. I am over 50, but I still have a hard time thinking of nothing there....

How do you know if you have breast cancer?
I found tiny lumps in my left breast. I also have the sores on my nipple. Plus to top it all off breast cancer runs in both sides of my family. I'm scared to death!! Please tell me the signs of ...

Have you ever had a Friend or a Family member with Cancer?
May i ask who it was? And what kind of cancer it was? We found out my Mom had kidney cancer after she passed away. We didn't know when she was alive she had cancer. And is your family member or ...

Link between seatbelts and breast cancer?
I'm wondering if this has ever been looked at. Specifically the material the seatbelt is made of (nylon), the materials' exposure to other auto-making materials (chemicals, plastics, metals)...

Can a mammogram see an abnormality that an ultrasound can miss?

Is there any proof that people with end stage cancer and in a coma can hear?
A family member passed away last week, she had cancer. While in her last hours we all took turns telling her we loved her and that she was free to go in peace. Is there any evidence that supports the ...

After taking chemotherapy,when the body regain its health?
I mean hair,strength of blood................

Please read...?
okayy my mom had her mammogram on monday and she got a call on wenesday that they saw smething. they want her to come back on friday. they sad theres endless things it could be so dont jump to the ...

Cancer question?
My grandpa was diagonsed with lung cancer 5 1/2 years ago, and he is still alive. Is this unusal for someone with lung caner?...

Can putting plastic plates and bowls in the microwave give cancer?
they say when you put it in the microwave,waves go in through the plate into the food.Is this true?...

What can Using Tobacco cause???

My husbands kidney cancer is now in his leg bone and a lesion in his brain. How long?

JoAnnie
Last question- leukemia??
Okay, I've decided to write my story about leukemia. For those who didn't read my past questions, it's about a 14-year-old who develops leukemia. She's going to still go to school, but what kinds of medicine is she supposed to take? She's going to have chemotherapy, but will that rid of the cancer? And now long should she stay out of school after chemo? How long until she has hair loss? When does it start to grow back? What things should she be more careful about than most people? Thanks in advance for all your help!
Additional Details
wow! once again, i didn't mean to offend anybody. im not trying to be cute, either. this story is for a school assignment and i dont know where to get the information. so to those of you who think im being rude, and to those of you experiencing this yourselves, i apologize, and it wasnt meant to offend anybody.

of a demon in my view
Rating
Read up on it on Wikipedia. It's one of the deadliest for children. There aren't any medicines. You go through chemotherapy but it burns, that gets rid of the hair almost immediately, that makes you tired and throw up and want to sleep all day and want to miss your appointments. The bags they inject into you say "DANGER: POISON." It'll grow back once treatment stops. And a bone marrow transplant can cure it, but only if it isn't really advanced.

Watch 'Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy'. It's a Lifetime movie but it has the girl from Scrubs and it's about breastcancer. Here's the Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_I_Wore_Lipstick_to_My_Mastectomy It's so good and really informative, about a woman who had breast cancer really young and lived through it and decided only confident women wear lipstick so she wore it to her surgery, and how she used to be complimented by the construction workers when she passed but then later she wasn't even glanced at.

animal cracker
It seems really nice that u are concerned about your friend if u watch hollyoask you will se that the little boy has it.What ive seen on the show is that the immune system of this person isnt very good and any diseaseas are easier to catch.
Im sorry i do not know about the hair loss and chemothreapy it is such a horrible subject.I am also a teen and fiind it scary when people speak about it.Dont tease her about the hair loss and be there for this girl.She will need a friend at the moment.
Good luck for you and this girl.
Love
Ac

Nicole H
Overview
What is leukemia?
Leukemia is cancer of the blood cells. It starts in the bone marrow, the soft tissue inside most bones. Bone marrow is where blood cells are made.

Related Articles
Leukemia - Treatment Overview
Leukemia - Medications
» More overview Articles

When you are healthy, your bone marrow makes:

White blood cells, which help your body fight infection.
Red blood cells, which carry oxygen to all parts of your body.
Platelets, which help your blood clot.
When you have leukemia, the bone marrow starts to make a lot of abnormal white blood cells, called leukemia cells. They don't do the work of normal white blood cells, they grow faster than normal cells, and they don't stop growing when they should.

Over time, leukemia cells can crowd out the normal blood cells. This can lead to serious problems such as anemia, bleeding, and infections. Leukemia cells can also spread to the lymph nodes or other organs and cause swelling or pain.

Are there different types of leukemia?
There are several different types of leukemia. In general, leukemia is grouped by how fast it gets worse and what kind of white blood cell it affects.

It may be acute or chronic. Acute leukemia gets worse very fast and may make you feel sick right away. Chronic leukemia gets worse slowly and may not cause symptoms for years.
It may be lymphocytic or myelogenous. Lymphocytic (or lymphoblastic) leukemia affects white blood cells called lymphocytes. Myelogenous leukemia affects white blood cells called myelocytes.
The four main types of leukemia are:

Acute lymphoblastic leukemia, or ALL. ALL is the most common leukemia in children. Adults can also get it.
Acute myelogenous leukemia, or AML. AML affects both children and adults.
Chronic lymphocytic leukemia, or CLL. CLL is the most common leukemia in adults, mostly those who are older than 55. Children almost never get it. It sometimes runs in families.
Chronic myelogenous leukemia, or CML. CML occurs mostly in adults.
What causes leukemia?
Experts don't know what causes leukemia. But some things are known to increase the risk of some kinds of leukemia. These things are called risk factors. You are more likely to get leukemia if you:

Were exposed to large amounts of radiation.
Were exposed to certain chemicals at work, such as benzene.
Had some types of chemotherapy to treat another cancer.
Have Down syndrome or some other genetic problems.
Smoke.
But most people who have these risk factors don't get leukemia. And most people who get leukemia do not have any known risk factors.

What are the symptoms?
Symptoms may depend on what type of leukemia you have, but common symptoms include:

Fever and night sweats.
Headaches.
Bruising or bleeding easily.
Bone or joint pain.
A swollen or painful belly from an enlarged spleen.
Swollen lymph nodes in the armpit, neck, or groin.
Getting a lot of infections.
Feeling very tired or weak.
Losing weight and not feeling hungry.
How is leukemia diagnosed?
To find out if you have leukemia, a doctor will:

Ask questions about your past health and symptoms.
Do a physical exam. The doctor will look for swollen lymph nodes and check to see if your spleen or liver is enlarged.
Order blood tests. Leukemia causes a high level of white blood cells and low levels of other types of blood cells.
If your blood tests are not normal, the doctor may want to do a bone marrow biopsy. This test lets the doctor look at cells from inside your bone. This can give key information about what type of leukemia it is so you can get the right treatment.

How is it treated?
What type of treatment you need will depend on many things, including what kind of leukemia you have, how far along it is, and your age and overall health.

If you have acute leukemia, you will need quick treatment to stop the rapid growth of leukemia cells. In many cases, acute leukemia can be cured. Some doctors prefer the term “remission” to “cure,” because there is a chance the cancer could come back.
If you have chronic leukemia, you may not need to be treated until you have symptoms. Chronic leukemia can rarely be cured, but treatment can help control the disease.
Treatments for leukemia include:

Chemotherapy, which uses powerful medicines to kill cancer cells. This is the main treatment for most types of leukemia.
Radiation treatments. Radiation therapy uses high-dose X-rays to destroy cancer cells and shrink swollen lymph nodes or an enlarged spleen. It may also be used before a stem cell transplant.
Stem cell transplant. Donated stem cells can rebuild your supply of normal blood cells and boost your immune system. Before the transplant, radiation or chemotherapy is used to destroy cells in bone marrow and make room for donated cells.
Biological therapy. This is the use of special medicines that improve your body's natural defenses against cancer.
For some people, clinical trials are a treatment option. Clinical trials are research projects to test new medicines and other treatments. Often people with chronic leukemia take part in these studies.

Some treatments for leukemia can cause side effects. Your doctor can tell you what problems are common and help you find ways to manage them.

Finding out that you or your child has leukemia can be a terrible shock. It may help to:

Learn all you can about the type of leukemia you have and its treatment. This will help you make the best choices and know what to expect.
Stay as strong and well as possible. A healthy diet, plenty of rest, and regular exercise can help.
Talk to other people or families who have faced this disease. Ask your doctor about support groups in your area. You can also find people online who will share their experiences with you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Learning about leukemia:
What is leukemia?
What causes it?
Can I prevent leukemia?
What are the symptoms?
What increases my chances of getting leukemia?
How common is it?
What happens in leukemia?

Being diagnosed:
How will my doctor diagnose leukemia?
What is a bone marrow aspiration and biopsy?

Getting treatment:
How is leukemia treated?
What type of medicines will I need to take?
What is radiation therapy?
What is a bone marrow transplant?
What is a stem cell transplant?
What is a clinical trial?
When is surgery needed?

Ongoing concerns:
When should I call my doctor?

Living with leukemia:
What can I do at home to ease my symptoms or manage the side effects of treatment?
How can I control nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy?

End-of-life issues:
How can I prepare for end-of-life issues?

Author: Kathe Gallagher, MSW Medical Review: Caroline S. Rhoads, MD - Internal Medicine
Joseph O'Donnell, MD - Hematology/Oncology
Last Updated: 11/30/2006

MacHbooS
Rating
i dont think she will get rid of cancer u knw leukemia is the most dangerous cancer ... till now 1% of ppl who got this kind of cancer are safe " in their body cancer cells but the cells are dead " maximum levin ppl with this kind of cancer last for 1 and half year !!! im sorry for this young girl

Missy
Before you start writing about something, maybe it should be something you've had life experience with. You obviously haven't and don't know how to use your own brain.

This is extremely offensive to those who are really going through this and their families.

ohmygosh
Rating
if it's for school, they usually dont assign like cancer-related stories. and what grade are you in? that could tell us something about how in-depth the info has to be. but why would you write your story about that?? it's such a touchy subject for people. like my friend was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of 14...

midnightmoon62
In reality, a leuekmia patient would not still be going to school. If you are not going to write that huge point medically accurate, why the worry of the other issues being medicall accurate?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, March 30, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy