Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Could smoking marajuana make high grade precancerous cells in the cervix turn to cancer?

Would someone who was really sick with cancer...?
...stay in bed or be in the hospital?
Additional Details
assume the person was 70 years in age/...

Swollen lymph glands?
ive had severel swollen glands under my left armpit at first there was only one big one and i was 16 at the time, now im 25 and theres still the big one but lots of little ones clustered around it, ...

How do i break it to a friend that i have cancer?

Is there a cure for lymphoma-cancer?

Why the defence mechanism of body cant detect the changes in cancer cells ?

How long does one normally live with Leukimia?? My friend has just been diagnosed!!?

Has any one used Zyban to give up smoking?
I have been taking Zyban for just over 2 weeks now and i have successfully managed to kick the weed.
Lets hope I can keep it up when Ive finished the course....

Can wearing a bra for a long time cause breast cancer?

Im worried abour the lump on my back...?
i noticed that i have a lump on my lower back, im worried. what could it be, what should i do? its been there for a week now and it hasnt changed at all. it doesnt hurt. its about the length and ...

Treatment of bladder cancer while pregnant?
need to know if you can carry a baby if you have been diagnosed with bladder cancer and been surgecally ...

Do cell phones cuz CANCER OMG?

Is it true that allen carr (of easyway) has lung cancer?

Can artificial sweetner cause cancer?

What is cancer?

Do all Cancer spread through-out the body?
What is Cancer?...

Colon cancer probability?
My husband is 39 and is a Gulf War veteran. For the past 10 or more years he has suffered with chronic diarhea, sometimes with bouts of constipation. His weight fluctuates by about 10lbs up and down. ...

What is the difference in level 3 and stage 3 cancer?

What are some possible symptoms of thyroid cancer (or even any kind of cancer)?
I am a 23 year old female, I have quite a large goiter (enlarged thyroid gland) and I am worried that it may be cancerous. Please help if you can, any information would be truly useful and most ...

Is there any programs for people with cancer who can not pay the med. bills?

Amanda R
Can a mammogram see an abnormality that an ultrasound can miss?

Paramedic Girl
Yes. If you are under 40, it's best to have both a mamogram and ultrasound. But self breast exams need to be done daily too.

Cherona29
Rating
I think they should both be used in conjunction to get the most accurate results. I just had both done because I found a breast lump & the mammogram didn't show anything but the ultrasound revealed a solid mass (have to get a biopsy). The technician was reluctant to perform the mammogram because of my age (I'm only 29) probably because she figured it was unnessecary radiation exposure. Better to get both done though to be safe.

Simmi
Yes it can.

tarkarri
Rating
Breast tissue density changes as we get older.

In younger women (under 40) the tissue is usually too dense for a mammogram to show the full picture, ultrasound usually gives a better idea of what is going on.

Older women (over 50) usually have much les density in their breast tissue, and the dense areas indicating a tumour show relatively clearly.

If a suspicious area is found in a mammogram, an ultrasound is often done of the area to give a clearer picture of what is happening.

In my own case, I had a suspisious lump which was thought to be a cyst. On the mammogram, it appears as a large version of smaller cysts which were not palpable. On the ultrasound, it is clear that the large lump was dense tissue, while the smaller areas were definately fluid filled cycts.

If a suspisios area was detected on mammogram but cleared on ultrasound, I would keep monitoring, but accept the Dr's diagnosis that it was not currently an area of concern.

Lissacal
Salli is right. Many times, the only sign of an early breast cancer is microcalcifications. Many woman have microcalcifications in the breast, and most types are benign. But, DCIS produces microcalcifications which are very unique. And, it can be the only sign that something is wrong. Microcalcifications are the size of a grain of sand, and they are not seen with ultrasound. This is one of the reasons why we do screening (meaning exams done on patients with no symptoms) mammograms and not screening ultrasounds of the breast. DCIS can be found very early, before a palpable lump can be felt, with regular, screening mammograms.

But, if you are a young woman who has a breast mass, an ultrasound is the best exam for you. All signs of breast cancer (a mass or microcalcifications) are white on mammographic film. A young breast is made up of dense tissue, which also looks white on film. It is very difficult to see the white abnormal tissue through the white, normal, dense tissue. It is like finding a volleyball in the snow on a photograph.

Salli B
Rating
YES!!!!! I was diagnosed with DCIS, which is microcalicifications throughout the breast. It didn't show up at all on an ultrasound, we found it through a biopsy and when I had a mammogram done you could see it all throughout the breast.

Katze
I had calcifications and they were benign. A few years later I had a Mammogram showing a tiny lesion and the Radiologist performed an Ultrasound. The Radiologist said it looks like breast cancer without even doing a biopsy. We couldn't find a lump at all, because it was so deep embedded. Ductal carcinoma in situ is the early stage of breast cancer, which means that the cancer has not invaded other tissue (non-invasive), meaning it is still only in the milk ducts. An ultrasound would not show DCIS, only a mammogram would.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, March 30, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy