Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary      Health Advices  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Does our society have no room for melancholia?
As soon as someone is slightly sad or melancholy do they receive a prescription for anti-depressants ? or they are told to buck up.

Is our society trying to hard to be happy all the time? ...

Help me get over my depression?
Well early this morning my cat was hit by a drunk driver he was probsly my best friend i am so depressed and i feel terrible i dont know how to get over my depression PLEASE HELP
Additional D...

Please help me?
I sometimes have suicidal thoughts. I don't have them as much as I used to, almost not at all, but should I still get help for it?
Additional Details

Can you please give me some tips to save money?
I use to buy and collect clothes, books, dvds, cds etc. When I get tired of them I just throw them away. Is this normal? Does anyone do the same thing? Please advice me....

How can i make myself physically sick?
i need to be sick and fast to get out of something, any ideas?...

Do you have any quick and easy tips for battling depression?
I've been down lately. It's odd because this is my favorite time of year. I have no real reason to be sad either. I've been crying at random times, and just feeling upset suddenly. I�...

Why Does Every Body Think I Am A Bad Person?
Well I went walking to get away and all because i went walking my Grandparents thinks i am a bad person i just have to get away from everyone cause i am still not over losing my mom in march and it ...

Can anyone remember when they lost their mind?

Would you like you if you met you?

Have you ever committed suicide?

Additional Details
The All-Knowing Sam's Q&A, you have been reported. Have fun trying to get another Yahoo account. HA HA HA ...

Will I ever be the same after this?
In April I was beating by two girls, one my age and one a year older(im 15). They called me many names, one excused me of sleeping with her boyfriend.- I didnt btw. It was after school back of the ...

Should I kill myself?
I just woke up and realized my life is a piece of crap just like everybody else's. who'd remember me anyway?...

Serious Problem. Please help me FRIENDS.?
I AM REALLY STUPID & SELFISH. I AM ADDICTED TO ( NO NOT SMOKING OR DRINKING ) TELEVISION , INTERNET, & LAZINESS. I CANNOT MISS MY FAVORITE SHOWS, I CAN'T STAY AWAY FROM THE INTERNET FOR A...

I cut myself and nobody helps me even when i do get help from doctors it just doesn't work for me it just hurt
Well i am depressed and i don't like saying why i am because it is in my family and i wish i was dead all the time and cutting just makes it feel like i am alive even if i feel like i wasn'...

Suicidal, I know I need help?
I am suicidal, my friends are all pissed off because they think I am not depressed and want me to go bak to my old happy self. But they are adding to it. They completely ignore me and act as if our ...

Do i have a problem?
I'm 28 years old and I have never had a boyfriend. I dont drink and I have a disease that makes me walk funny. I dont really have any friends and I like to stay in at night and watch the telly. M...

What do I do now I'm at rock bottom?
As a man I have been stripped of everything I care about:

No. of friends: 0
Job: none
Weight: ...

My Fiance wants to commit suicide- Help!?
I have been with my fiance for 4 1/2 half years. I have never cheated on him! This past month, I have been talking to a guy behind his back that lives up north. The guy and I were not talking about ...

How can i relieve stress?
I handle stress very badly and in an unhealthy way. I'm taking a health class now and were covering stress and said it could lead to traumas and other bad diseaeses. I've always had a bad ...

I hate my life. I worry to much. I feel to ugly all the time its not fair?
Okay so im a 14 year old girl. I go to high school. I hate it soo much. I feel awkward talking infrount of people so when i am picked for something i end up stuttering and people laugh. I feel ugly. O...

Nightswan
How should I fight depression?
I would prefer to find out a method that doesn't implies pills!

Sherrie
Rating
Find a friend to talk to. I should talk? I'm rather depressed right now too. I know what is causing it..... but I sure wish I was stronger than I appear to be right now.
I'm finding friends here.... feel free to write me anytime.
Sherrie
If I wasn't so tired, I'd write more....

London Girl
Rating
By facing it. You cannot get out of depression by pressing a switch. It takes time, help, encouragement, strength, willingness. Just take one day at a time. Do something each day FOR YOU. Praise yourself when achieve a goal. Think good tings about you, because you deserve it.

Good luck my dear.

HarryBore
Rating
Thank you!, Someone who doesn;t want to take pills!!!!!!

I work as a clinical hypnotherapist and NLP practitioner. I have helped many people to deal with depression permanently without having to resort to mind bending drug (anti-depressants/anti happiness).

The most important thing here is not to regard it as a fight! You are experiencing something that is totally natural and human, you need to accept that it is there. What you then need to do is let go of the old emotional attachment to the thing that is causing you to feel this way.

If you had a leaking ceiling, would buy lots of buckets to catch the drips or just plug the leak? Easy answer there!

If you are determined to do this yourself without a therapist or drugs (which is entirely possible) try some of the following measures:

Move! You cannot be depressed when you move and have energy. Go for a walk, run on the spot for 10 seconds, dance, cook. Do anything that will not allow you to sit STILL and wallow.

If you catch yourself having depressive thoughts, get up and do something. Interrupt the pattern.

Try doing things the wrong way round, cross your arms the wrong way round. Put the other leg into your trousers first (without falling over!). Eat with your knife and fork in the opposite hands for one meal a day. This will stimulate your brain and give you an understanding that there is always another way.

Listen to music you like, play it loud, listen to music you haven’t always listened to like classical music.

try new foods and learn to smile for no reason. If you carry your self and have the posture of someone who is not depressed but happy, it has an immediate and enormous effect on your emotional wellbeing.

Most of all, enjoy the fact that you are still breathing, life is gift, and CHOOSE to be happy!

All the best.

Michael H
Rating
You should try to find a psychologist. Psychologists generally use talk therapy/counseling, not pills.

Sarah
Rating
i would suggest phsycho therapy, one on one sessions with a counselor. there is alot of negative hype about it, but it's all false. I have been to a councelor twice in my life, once being a year ago. There is nothing wrong with it, and it can be very helpful. Why don't you want to do pills? Just wondering, i personally don't like that idea so much either but all the same i am on some. Pills, when they work right, can be wonderful though. also, there is a type of therapy called cognitive therapy, i'm sorry i don't remember what it was about, but i remember thinking it could be a good one for depressed people and stuff. So you might want to check those out. They can really help. If you are seriouslly depressed right now and contemplating suicide please call a hot line, and at least talk to someone. That can help alot. If none of these appeal to you, try to find someone you can trust and talk to. You should do this anyways no matter what descision you make. This can be one of the most helpful solutions. Well, i hope something works. If you need to just chat and release feel free to emial me or whatever. good luck!

The Dictator
Rating
Just get up and do something,anything.Tidy up,do chores,absolutely anything.You always have a better day when you've done something.

munchie
Rating
go out take long walks stay in touch with mates go out with mates do something you love staying away from people will only just make it worse

Part Time Cynic
Simple questions rarely have simple answers. I would say don't 'fight' it. Is like having a battle with your mind. I 'fought' it for many years, only to be eventually told to go back to my roots. I did and found NOTHING there. So i defined my own roots. And since then life as seem a lot easier.
Acupuncture, reflexology, and many years of soulsearching got me over the hill. But to go that way is not everyone's cup of tea.

kllymccomas
Rating
personal inventory ..honesty ..and getting out of you and into life

sam_kali81
waking up early going for a walk doing yoga would help. even moving to another place for sometime would be helpful

ashkan1369danger
Dont tell yourself that i cant do this or that work .
Believe your self and your abilities

kraj_267
think positive & Be confident that i want 2 do this work any how,
keep this runnning in ur mind and see the result

bluesun
Rating
walking. praying. reading.

DAZI
Rating
rid yourself of the skeletons that are causing it.If you can't find the source,see a counsellor,they'll find the source however painful.

Tony J
Rating
go out with yr friends and get drunk

idler22
I would recommend going to see a doctor first, depression can be caused by an underactive thyroid. If tests prove negative you may be prescribed medication which should be effective in stabilising your mood if taken for a suitable period.
Your doctor may also be able to suggest counsellors/ therapists. A talking solution in a safe, non-judgemental environment can really help although this approach demands honesty and commitment and may involve dredging up unpleasant memories and thoughts.
Finally, half an hour of vigorous exercise a day. Enough to leave you out of breath and sweating. Instant endorphin release and great sense of achievement.
Good luck, remember there are always people who can help.

LisaHW
Rating
Please see the long answer I wrote for the person who wrote this question: (I don't know if the stuff I suggest will help anyone else, but I figured it was worth offering the ideas.)

SlimAbout Me
Total points: 480 (Level 2) What can I do to get out of my depression, I've tried all the drugs, therapy, and religion?

pinkbabi
Rating
Hello, How terrible for you to suffer from depression. It is a very difficult thing for an outsider to understand. Sit down and write to lists, one things that make you happy and the other things that make you feel down. Everyday look at the one that makes you feel happy, try and do something from that list.
When I had post natal depression, I had the most beautiful daughter, whom was so well behaved, I felt that I should be thankfull for her and her health.
Now when I feel down I think about all the people in the world whom really are worse off than myself, no food, money no where to sleep.

You should also try meditation, this can help you find inner peace, and once you have learned to do it you can do it anywhere when you start feeling bad.

Try also getting a new hobby, swimming, kick boxing, embroidery etc.

If you want to talk anytime you can always email me.
Good luck
Vicky
xx

kimberly h
Rating
i dont know...seek counseling...i have depression too and it seems the more i k eep my mind occupied the better i am at just forgetting i have any problems...only that works for a short time

red beret
Rating
Every body will give you lots of advice, but if you ever need help just use this site, anytine day or night.

ginger13
First check with a professional therapist. If not, try exercise, see friends and family that uplift you and check out your local church.
They might have a group that get together for counseling or separate. It tried it and I am better for it.

jaded
Don't allow your mind to constantly think and focus on the bad crap. WAKE UP! Don't lock yourself up in your house so much. Get out there and take advantage of what is good in life. Don't spend it thinking about how depressed you are. Stay away from negatives (shows, people, etc) You only live once. LIVE!!

Librarian
aerobic exercise believe me its the best way, go for 30-50 mins of rigorous exercise on daily basis.
and yes a positive attitude does help a lot,
Start a project, it could be anything, investment in the stock exchange, or anything which would give you a purpose in life.

avondrow
Rating
I was really bad just a few days ago - my Dr tells me it's an effect of my diabetes, and is due to a chemical imbalance in my brain, which can be addressed with medication. However, like you I am reluctant to submit to yet more pills.
Things are very chaotic at my work at present, and I've found myself with a very heavy workload, and working long shifts. Oddly enough, I found this helped, having immediate, tangible problems to deal with, and lots to focus on, plus the eventual satisfaction of tasks accomplished, really seemed to pull me out of it. I also find exercise helps (May be an endorphin thing)

kitty fresh & hissin' crew
Pet a kitten.

Tequila_Rose
What I do, instead of taking pills that can make you go mental, is I try to find something that I absolutely love to do, and even though I don't FEEL like doing it I do, and I usually feel a little better. Sometimes soothing music helps, nice cup of hot tea, and, you are going to think I am nuts, but set a timer for like five minutes or less and just sit and cry. Sometimes crying does make you feel better. I've also learned that just getting out of your room or apartment and going outside for a walk makes me feel better. Also talking to someone about how you feel, may help. I know, it's hard to come out of depression, but there is one thing you DO need to know: Life is worth living, You just need a boost to get you going in the better direction. And Don't Give Up because there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

elazrath
Rating
go out and do happy stuff.. depression isnt a condition.. its what you make it

kristyb872001
Rating
it depends on the root of the depression, as in, what is it that's making you feel depressed in the first place. but something that can cure anything is by laughing and having a good time. you've also gotta pull yourself together and think of the positive things in your life, like your family and friends, and whatever you do, never think the worst of things or have negativity because that's what brings you down even more.

aquamarine
Rating
I think depression is all in the mind. Just think that somewhere out there someone is thinking about you, wondering how you are, and wishing the best for you. Don't think there is no more hope. There is always hope for everything. I myself feel a little depressed at times like I'm swallowed by loneliness, but I stop myself by saying "Hey! stop it! There is still hope somewhere." try to eat a piece of chocolate, it makes you feel good. and do something you've always wanted to do, pamper yourself, have a vacation, see places. hope this will do you good.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, May 12, 2011
Terms of use - Privacy Policy