Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

What does it mean when you use the bathroom and it burns when you pee and sometimes bleed?
burns and bleed when you ...

Aside from smoking,what habit do u hate?

How do you prevent getting colds and coughs?

Homework help ! right answer eartn 10 pts !?
Sysmptoms of arrhythmia are

a - vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness

b - fatigue. dizziness, lightheadness, faiting

c - palpitation, accelerated, puse, vomiting

d ...

Please don't die?

Smoke Smell In Car?
I smoked in my car earlier this morning and I just found out that I have to take my mom somewhere tomorrow. What can I do to prevent her from finding out that I was smoking in my car? Will the smell ...

How do I deal with sinus headaches?
Lately, I would wake up with sinus headaches and pressure around the eyes and cheeks in the morning. Then sometimes I'll sneeze a lot lately and get a funny feeling in my throat and I'll ...

Help! My famiy has a cold or flu (IDK), and I can't catch it or else I'll have to go to the hospital. How do
you keep from catching someone elses cold?

I have asthma and everytime i catch a cold/flu, i end up staying in the hospital for 3-4 days.......

I have a soar throat?
I have had it for one week now...when should I seek medical help, if at all? I can't stop coughing all night, I wake up coughing at 3am and at 7am coughing and spluttering, when I finally manage ...

Smoking marijuana?
hey, about 2 weeks ago I have smoked as I do everyday and about 30 minutes later I had this terrible pain in my chest. I cudn't breath and it started to get worse. so i got outside to get some ...

People smoke next door and it's affecting my breathing?
i live in an apartment complex that isn't non-smoking, but the person next door, i can smell the smoke in my kitchen, and this crap is bothering my breathing to the point where its affecting my ...

Snorers, how do you put up with them?
I mean, how do you sleep or cope with them at night with those who sleep in the same room as you, snoring really badly..!!...

14 hour car ride with to smokers!!?!?!?
i have major athsma and allergic to ...

Cough question?
Okay so about a week ago I had the flu. runny nose, core thorat, the works. So now my nose is still stuffy and I seem to only cough like crazy at night. During th day i dont cough nearly as much but ...

Why won't this cough go away?
had a cough for a while now and starting to get worried about it symptoms are i'm coughing up greeny/white phlegm in the morning,but during the day i am fine no coughing then at night it seems ...

I have chronic asthma. My co-worker loves to wear perfume & scented lotions. How do I ask her to stop?
She knows this agravates my asthma & seems concerned when I have my attacks (which are getting progressively worse) but doesn't understand perfumed air fresheners are the same as perfumes. H...

What r some ways to stop smoking?

Waking up with dry/sore throat and stuffy nose?
so it really only seems to happen during the winter or cooler months.

but every morning i wake up with this dryish-sore throat, and my nose is stuffy, and it feels like i have something ...

How do i stop my partner from snoring?

Why cant you smoke in a hospital?
can you not smoke in a hospital because youll blow something up or just because they say you cant for the other patients?
Additional Details

Scooby Doo
Why are smokers treated like second class citizens ? and also treated like children that need to be told off?

Additional Details
hearing an advert on the radio every two minuites is not going to make me give up!, it will make me more determined to smoke just out of spite.

Emmers
Rating
because, they are commiting suicide,and also possible murder. have you not heard the stories about the ppl who get lung cancer just from being exposed to people who smoke? ppl like uh... i don't know....... LIKE YOU, for instance? god are you ever an *%#hole. people who act like middle class citizens will be treated as such. non-smokers are followers, and have all made a stupid mistake and someone, some day, is gonna make you sorry. i'm gonna go to harvard honey, so just you wait. when i'm a supreme court judge, i'll throw all your sorry, smoking asses in jail. cya then

chi n
Rating
better stop smoking now....

nowyermessingwithasonofabitch
Rating
Agreed!
Smoke'em if ya got'em, brother :)

Yeahman - these non-smokers and anti-smokers swear up and down they hold the moral high ground, and are apparently just waiting for something to preach about...

PA425
OK so I think I have a little different take on this. I practice medicine--it is my job to tell you to stop smoking-I know you will not quit until you are ready. I will even smoke one in a bar if I am drinking a beer with friends. HOWEVER! What I have problems with is from the standpoint of medical care--my BLOOD BOILS when I have parents who bring in their kids with asthma or croup and the kids smell like ashtrays! IF YOU SMOKE-KEEP IT AWAY FROM YOUR KIDS! I see people all the time with their kids pulled up to the 7-11 with kids in the back seat, all the windows rolled up (they aren't even trying) and both parents tokin it up. ALSO the parents who will not go get their kids some over the counter cough/cold medicine or tylenol saying they "CAN'T AFFORD IT" screw that-cigarettes are more expensive than that and the medicine will last longer! Then we also have the adult patients whom everyone of us taxpayers pay for who come in with chronic pneumonia, bronchitis, asthma and also say they can't afford their ($2) co-pay for medicaid--again THAT is cheaper than the cigarettes! Not only that but they are costing the system and enormous amount of money!
I guess if you are going to smoke--ok get after it - just don't expect the medical system to cover all your costs. AND IF YOU ARE A PARENT OR ADULT-DO NOT MAKE SMOKERS (2nd hand) OUT OF YOUR KIDS--it is disgusting when they smell like they have been on fire and it is child abuse to smoke around kids with chronic lung disease (asthma, cystic fibrosis)! SHAME ON YOU! For those of you who do try to keep it to yourself-thanks!

Shaunda W
Rating
Smoking is your own right and privilege. However, I don't smoke so when I go out to the movies, mall or any where for that matter the last thing I want is someone smoking right out front of the door, my children don't need it and either do I. I don't feel as though you should be treated as a child I do feel as though everyone who smokes should respect those around them who don't smoke. If I drank (Alcohol) and you didn't how would you like it if I was throwing up at the front door of the restaurant, movie or mall you were going into. That's how gross cigarette smoke is to a non-smokers!

Thanks!

Dr Frank
50% of smokers will die because of their habit. Smoking is the second most common cause of death in the world today. ( first is infections. 10,000 people a day die of smoking 0r 3.5 million people a year. Your choice, who do you think is going to loose out if you keep smoking for spite?

Reb1
I am not giving up either, I would never smoke near a child or someone eating and am careful my smoke does not get into peoples faces.
Why car'nt pubs choose to be smoking or non smoking then we all have a choice.

JERRABand
I agree. So what is other people don't like the smell? Deal with it. There is no hard proof that secondhand smoke is dangerous, yet people will find any excuse to complain. Grow up a little people. Every one of you have some disgusting habits that us smokers can't stand, yet we don't complain about it.

smile2besweet
Rating
Umm your comment about smoking out spite tells me you must be a teenager!
My husband is 47yrs old and an avid smoker. He doesn't do it because he wants too or that he has an addiction. It is just a habit to him. Habits are hard to break.
Although he eats better then most and exercises. He had a heart attack a few years ago. This is most likely because of the smoking.
I don't think smokers are treated like second class citizens. It's a choice....I can just say that I am never surprised or sympathetic when a smoker gets sick.

giants fan jessica
THANK YOU! finally someone speaks the truth. smokers are people too you all need to stop complaining about where we smoke and breathing second hand smoke and smelling like it GET OVER IT. the ban comes into affect july 1st i hope you all will be ok by then

chillskii
Rating
because by smoking, they harm other people's lungs too.

bri
Rating
You are entitled to do whatever you like to yourself but your smoke is poisonous and it poisons the people around you.
If you refuse to stop smoking around other people 'out of spite' it just shows what a truly spiteful person you are.

charliegirl
Rating
I'm fed up of been told about how smoking is bad for me.
Yes!!! I know it is, but since I don't smoke around non smokers and mostly limit my smoking to my own home (where I live alone) I don't see how it's effecting anyone else.
And for all those people going on about how it's bad for my health I wonder are they so perfect. Okay, they may not smoke. Do they drink? Eat fatty foods, etc????
I don't even drink so banning it in pubs won't effect me. And I tend to avoid pubs since I tend to get nagged at for been anti social for refusing an alcoholic drink.
I don't go round calling non smokers anti social or boring.

Anyway even though I don't smoke round others I think I should still consider wearing a t-shirt with 'unclean' on it and ring a bell whereever I go to warn people to stay clear from me.

♥ Crys ♥
Rating
Basically its like this smoking is bad and smokers chose to do it. We can't do much about the car fumes. You can chose to be respectful and not smoke around non smokers. For some such as myself it causes them to not be able to breathe and send them into an asthma attack and to defend you, car exhaust fumes do the same to me as cigarette smoke. But when say I go out to dinner. Its not fair that I have to leave because someone wants to smoke like a freight train. If I wanted to have problems breathing, I'd eat my dinner on the freeway and inhale exhaust. I chose to go inside to clean air. Smoke outside away from the door and be respectful. Its a courtesy.

♥bunny_505♥
Remember the prohibition! Ban alcohol!! They are doing it to smoking now! Does anybody even stop to think about the tobacco farmers?? They have been growing all their lives. You just can't change what your going to grow on the land?!!
Smokers don't berate drinkers?! There are more alcohol related deaths than there are tobacco deaths!! Plus what's up with the "booze" commercials??
I don't tell you to quit drinking so you don't tell me to quit smoking!! Light em up!!!!

Jodie B
Rating
people just have to learn that people dont want to be pushed into giveing up smokeing yes i know its bad for us but we'll adults and will give up when ever we want to

t4skater
umm lmao. you have just answered your own question.

Barry M
Rating
Great question and a lot of interesting responses. I am a former smoker who quit 4 years ago after smoking for 35 years. I never smoked inside my home, never smoked inside my car when other people were present, and did not smoke in bars (I don't drink) or restaurants. I could easily facilitate my habit by going out to the garage or outside for a smoke. Both of my kids grew up healthy and neither has any problems from 2nd hand smoke. Me, I am dying from the effects of my former habit. That's the price I have to pay for my bad behavior. Hopefully, I can be an example for others to quit now before it is too late. This debate, however, goes much deeper than that.

I think this is simply a case of common sense. If you have 3 smokers in a car with a non-smoker and all 3 are puffing away with the windows up - yeah, the non-smoker is probably going to have some problems with 2nd hand smoke. If you have 3 smokers in a car puffing away with the windows up and a non-smoker in a car in the next lane - no, the non-smoker is not going to have any problems with 2nd hand smoke.

Since quitting, I have never had any smoker ever blow smoke directly into my face. As a matter of fact, rarely do I ever smell cigarette smoke. I do notice the polluted air I have to breathe because of all of the traffic. I do notice the difficulty I have breathing when people wear obscene amounts of perfume and calogne. I do have problems breathing when I walk into stores that burn incense and sell scented candles. I now notice that my nose and lungs are assaulted by all kinds of toxic fumes and odors and most of them don't come from smokers.

I am not condoning smoking. You need to quit and you know it. I don't have the right to tell you to quit nor do I have the right to judge you because you smoke. Like another responder stated, since you don't fit into that perfect human category, people are going to treat you like a second class citizen. Society treats the overweight, the sick, the mentally impaired, the not-so-attractive, the not-so-wealthy, anyone who eats meat, anyone who doesn't eat meat, all the same way. We are all second class citizens who must stand and be judged by those who believe they are perfect. That's just the sorry way things are in this country. It's too bad we are all so judgemental of others and choose to ostracize instead of understand. I hope you do quit the habit someday. I know how difficult it is. I also fully support your right to smoke. As long as it is legal, then you should be able to do it without condemnation and criticism.

army_sister71
Rating
Thank you to the wonderful way society thinks and reacts.
I mean that if you are not or do not do what "SOCIETY" thinks is right in their eyes, you are completely condemned by them.
Think about a person that is overweight...they are treated the same if not worse. Watch when you are somewhere that has an overweight person. Observe the way they are treated compared to others. I know I have been there and been skinny too....I see and have definately been treated differently.
It is becoming more and more socially unacceptable to smoke. Another example is watch how a person is treated if they are not very good looking outwardly. Thank you SOCIETY!!! Society makes me sick.

logan28
Rating
Because they not only affect their own health, they affect everyones. I used to smoke and quit about 2 years ago. I now look back and wonder why I ever smoked.

I know a person who has a child who just developed asthma yet he still smokes around them. Not only have they made their own kid sick, but now they are slowly killing them and doesn't even seem to care.

buggerlugs
Rating
i agree- we are an east target at the moment im afraid with the new smoking laws soon to be in place in the uk-i know many people who will carry on /smoke more just cos they dont like being told what to do-with a legal substance i might add.
just looked at all the answers having a go at you- well i smoke in my shed so harm noone but myself but i havnt seen anybody mentioning the second part of your question-the part about exhaust fumes??????

kerryanne1963
me too ash i totally understand you

if gay people or immagrants were treated this way there would be an uproar

some people drink themselves stupid every night , thats their buisness not mine

can you beleive i cant light up at the bus station but i still have to breathe in all the ancient buses fumes , how can this be about passive smoking and health what rubbish
its the nanny state
lights another one :)

Brilliant 1forHIM
Rating
Strange huh, they can abort babies without a second thought, but don't you dare light up that cigarette.

Bless You

pamomof4
Rating
I agree with you (of course I'm a smoker). I too do not appreciate you (or anyone) telling me how bad it is, how I'm going to die, that I should quit. I am not an idiot and know all these things but I am an adult and I will make my own decisions. Us smokers have rights just like non smokers and should be treated accordingly. We should have our own section in bars and restaurants, have smoking flights and smoking sections wherever we go. I do agree if you are a non-smoker you should not have to inhale my smoke and would never force you to sit there breathing my smoke but in turn we are being forced to have to leave to have a cigarette (cigar..etc). We are treated unfair and unethical....it's basically condoned discrimination.
PS : I have 4 children and both my husband and I smoke....we DO NOT smoke in our home or car. We are smart enough to understand the effects of 2nd hand smoke and would NEVER subject our children to it.

psych_78
I don't smoke but this whole talk of the no smoking in enclosed public places is turning into an anti-smoking campaign. It seems as though there are attempts to make people who smoke be viewed as people to be looked down upon.

Obviously smoking is bad for your health but I feel that the damage it does do to your health has been highly over-exaggerated (read medical journals and you will see). It is smoking coupled with various other factors (bad diet, stressful lifestyle, living condition, SES,etc) that causes the biggest damage, not smoking on its own. And trying to get rid of smoking entirely (which it seems the government is looking to do gradually over time) is not going to improve the health of the nation.

As I said I don't smoke but I do think it is wrong that the government want to ban it in public places. People should be able to choose. If they want to contribute to their own ill health then let them be - at the end of the day it is the smokers tax that contributes to an NHS!! When smoking is banned entirely (which in 50 years or so I wouldn't be surprised) our taxes will only be higher in other areas (e.g. income, council, road tolls, etc), and the health of the nation will be no better overall. This is just another silly attempt by the government to appear to be doing something!!!!!

Not only that, but people who complain about passive smoking just remember all the fumes released from cars are more damaging to your health than cigarettes.

jenny flower
The more people go on at me the more i want to smoke. Ill stop when I'm ready!!!!!!!

Mark C
Second hand smoke causes lung cancer....? I think you'll find that has never NEVER been proven, as for being a contruibutary factor thats a different matter....sounds like the same thing but it's not.

However, I'm a smoker, I don't get classed as a second class citizen, or indeed a child. I do respect those around me that don't smoke, I am particularly wary of this when I'm in a restaurant etc, in fact I usually refrain from smoking when in such a place, even outdoors I'm as considerate as possible around other people, I fully welcome the smoking in public places ban this coming July 1st, I work in the licenced trade and it's going to help me firstly cut down, and secondly (hopefully) give up all together. If I do succeed I won't patronise people who continue to smoke, I feel that if you wish to continue doing something such as smoking then thats a valid choice.

Helloooo!
Yep, smoking is bad for you, got it. But for all the people screaming about smokers are you aware that car exhaust damages lungs also, as well as causes neurological damage, pollutes the ground water, and hell--look at all the dead brown trees in heavily populated areas in California. If people care so much about lung health, are ya all gonna give up your cars to protect me? I'm a non-smoker by the way.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy