Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

I have a soar throat?
I have had it for one week now...when should I seek medical help, if at all? I can't stop coughing all night, I wake up coughing at 3am and at 7am coughing and spluttering, when I finally manage ...

Smoking marijuana?
hey, about 2 weeks ago I have smoked as I do everyday and about 30 minutes later I had this terrible pain in my chest. I cudn't breath and it started to get worse. so i got outside to get some ...

People smoke next door and it's affecting my breathing?
i live in an apartment complex that isn't non-smoking, but the person next door, i can smell the smoke in my kitchen, and this crap is bothering my breathing to the point where its affecting my ...

Snorers, how do you put up with them?
I mean, how do you sleep or cope with them at night with those who sleep in the same room as you, snoring really badly..!!...

14 hour car ride with to smokers!!?!?!?
i have major athsma and allergic to ...

Cough question?
Okay so about a week ago I had the flu. runny nose, core thorat, the works. So now my nose is still stuffy and I seem to only cough like crazy at night. During th day i dont cough nearly as much but ...

Why won't this cough go away?
had a cough for a while now and starting to get worried about it symptoms are i'm coughing up greeny/white phlegm in the morning,but during the day i am fine no coughing then at night it seems ...

I have chronic asthma. My co-worker loves to wear perfume & scented lotions. How do I ask her to stop?
She knows this agravates my asthma & seems concerned when I have my attacks (which are getting progressively worse) but doesn't understand perfumed air fresheners are the same as perfumes. H...

What r some ways to stop smoking?

Waking up with dry/sore throat and stuffy nose?
so it really only seems to happen during the winter or cooler months.

but every morning i wake up with this dryish-sore throat, and my nose is stuffy, and it feels like i have something ...

How do i stop my partner from snoring?

Why cant you smoke in a hospital?
can you not smoke in a hospital because youll blow something up or just because they say you cant for the other patients?
Additional Details

I'm having an asthma attack and all I need is an albuteral inhaler and I'll be fine but no stores are open...
Is it overly dramatic to go to the ER?...

Waht is a TB test?
i had a shot in school today. and it is still red. will it be still red for a while?...

Why do symptoms of the common cold seem to get worse at night?

Additional Details
This question may go to vote because i have a lot of very good
answers....

Wat are the symptoms of anxiety attacks?

My son and his asthma???
how many asthma attacks are too many that i would need to take him to the Emergency Room he is 19 mths ??...

What is Ulcerative Colitis ØŸ!ØŸ!?
please help me !!
what is Ulcerative Colitis ØŸ!ØŸ!...

How to get rid of cough ??
I have a lot of cough in my throats & lungs. It keeps on increasing & decreasing but remains in all seasons. I want to completely get rid of it because it makes my voice unclear & ...

Is smoking a hookah bad for u?
a hookah is an arabic pipe ...it has a fliter to it..if u kno wat i mean...but it is bad like smoking cigrites..and is it ...

chrissy bby
Is gargleing warm salt water good for my health?because i have a sore throat.?

fido e
Rating
gargleing?

krissym1394
Ya. It helps your throat alot.. Its really really gross, but good for you. :)

gldjns
Salt water gargling is said to soothe a sore throat, but if your throat is severely sore, or lasts for several days, your best bet is to see a doctor and get some antibiotics.

HushYourFuss
Rating
Yes, its supposed to help throat pain and it did for me when I was a kid. It shouldn't harm your health unless you have pre existing health problems related to sodium intake.

mo
Rating
Gargeleling warm salt water is not bad for your health.It might even make your throat feel better

red27
If you have a sore, it will help heal it. Try this and take in plenty of vitamin C.

jag
Rating
It shouldnt be bad for your health, but I dont know how beneficial it is. Just dont swallow it.

Song1964
This is a good old fashioned time tested remedy. It will definitely help your sore throat. However, you need to find out the cause of your sore throat. If you are having sinus drainage, you will have to get the mucous out in order for it to help the soreness. If you have step throat, you will need an antibiotic. Gargling with salt water will help heal the throat.

Take care.

shadda12
Rating
yes very good will help tat throat 2

MikeL
yes
of course.

jenbug1015
Rating
its the best for sore throat!!!!!

BlackDahlia
My parents always told me to do this for a sore throat when I was growing up....and I still do now that I don't live at home because, yes, it does work!

datflygirlfrumdaA
yeah

eileen g
yepp

dancingirl
Rating
It helps to relieve inflammation. It is very good for your throat, just don't swallow it.

You can also use salt water drops into your nose to bring relief from a stuffy nose, although I must say, I don't have much luchk with that one.

And you can do it often, it won't cause inflammation, either.

Kryptonian
Rating
Not really. Gargling with a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution is much more effective against bacterial throat infections.

You would also get more benefit gargling with mouth wash, but for any real germ killing in your throat to occur you would have to gargle for at least a minute or more.

Also, be aware that if it's a viral throat infection, not too much you can do except use an over the counter spray like Cloraseptic to relieve your symptoms.

monksoup
Rating
Yes, gargling is very good for a sore throat. The salt helps soothe the area that is sore and promotes healing. Very wise to do for that sore throat......

littlemissdolittle
Yes.

In fact, it's probably the BEST natural gargle there is.

Becca G
Rating
yes.
disgusting....but it works!

☼Jessi Bear☼
Rating
Put 1/2 teaspoon salt in a half glass of warm water and gargle with it 3 times a day. It helps soothe sore throats and reduces swelling in the tissues.

auburngirlsc
it is fine to use salt water. Eat some soup and take some tylenol. Both of these will help your throat a great deal.

amber
that's what my mother said while I was growing up
I think it may have helped a little, but I was prone to very bad sore throats that usually led to strep

let me tell you what I do when my throat gets really sore
I take about a half of a tsp of creamy peanut butter and hold it in my throat for as long as I can..........without gagging of course.....just relax......the oils from the peanut butter seem to coat and sooth my throat, giving me relief, even if it is only for a little while it is well worth it................and I like peanut better anyway.......

good luck with the sore throat
they can be horribly painful as I'm sure you well know

take care

flazatty
Supposedly the salt intake helps kill the germs too. I agree that you should gargle it and spit it out. Do not swallow any more than you have to.

gahrahstah
Rating
gargling salt water is a soothing action, pretty short term, which can't hurt but won't provide long term relief. If your throat is red and inflamed, you should try some Ibuprofen also, to relieve that inflammation.

ladybugsquash
yes it is, but you'll have to keep doing it, for about a week. feel better dear.......

mete
Rating
a better way would be to gargle mouth wash I think, Kyrptonite has summed it up nicely

Sheraton
Rating
the salty water is to be gargled, not swallowed SPIT it out. the salt works like a infection control agent.

mother love
Rating
buy some halls too

Dragon Prince
Salty warm water can help and here is the reason

Sore throats are sore due to inflammation. Usually, the inflammation is due to a viral or bacterial infection (the common cold, and strep throat, are examples of each). However, sore throat may also be related to allergies or physical injury to the throat. In each case, an inflammatory response has been triggered. Pain, swelling and an itchy or irritated sensation are the common symptoms of this inflammatory response.

The medical term for swelling is edema. As part of the inflammatory response, there is an increase in the water content of the involved tissues. With respect to sore throat, a sense of fullness and difficulty swallowing are both related to edema of the tissue lining the throat (mucosa).

Water tends to follow salt. Anyone who has ever salted a snail knows what happens to the snail. Here’s a less disgusting analogy: have you ever salted slices of raw eggplant? The salt draws moisture from the eggplant; after a few minutes, you can see beads of fluid on the surface of the eggplant.

Everyone has a different recipe for a salt water gargle, but all recipes tend to be fairly salty. If the gargle has a higher salt concentration than your intrinsic salt concentration, it will tend to draw out some of the edema fluid from the mucosa of the throat. This will make SOME of your "sore throat" symptoms better. The relief is very real, but also tends to be short-lived, since the gargle has done nothing to remove the cause of the sore throat.

In some cases, gargling with salt water also has a cleansing action. If you are suffering from postnasal drainage due to a bacterial sinus infection or allergies, the mucus which drains from your nasal cavity is full of chemicals that tend to promote an inflammatory response. As this stuff drains down the back of your throat, it leaves a trail of inflamed tissues in its wake. Frequent gargling with salt water will help minimize this problem.

As with everything else in medicine, you can certainly overdo this one! Make the gargle salty enough, and you will dessicate the mucosa of the throat. This could lead to even greater irritation than what you started with!

I hope your sore throat gets better very soon.

Good luck

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, March 23, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy