Whats the best method of putting in contact lens?

i have tried many ways like up down looking when i put them in but they fall out until about the 10th go. taking them out is a piece of cake. 10 points for best answer!!...

i have tried many ways like up down looking when i put them in but they fall out until about the 10th go. taking them out is a piece of cake. 10 points for best answer!!

cm
Rating
use the index finger of the opposite hand (of what your holding the contact) to hold the bottom eyelid down...and middle finger to hold upper eyelid up.

wambo
Well Dick. Measure the distance between your eyes and place the lenses on a piece of clear sticky tape and stick it to your face.

goulash
Rating
Stand in front of the bathroom mirror. Stretch your top lid up and bottom lid down with your left thumb and first finger. Make sure the contact lens is wet, not inside-out and is balancing on the tip of the longest finger of your right hand. Look at your face in the mirror - don't look at your finger coming towards your eye. The lens will sucker itself to your eyeball as soon as it touches - you shouldn't have to press it onto your eye. If you can feel the lens moving when you blink, it's probably inside-out - take it out and try again. If you still have a lot of trouble, try some with a smaller diameter - the one's I got measured for and recommended from vision express were nowhere near as comfortable as the disposable ones I bought over the internet (which were much cheaper too).

cazmo
remember not to blink as you put the lense into yr eye as you wont poke yr eye with yr finger keep yr eyes wide and look slightly upwards
put the lense on yr forefinger
it took me a while, i use to worry more that i was poking my eye but you dont

bubblepop
With your head tilted back slightly place lens on your finger and as soon as the lens is on your eye, close your eye lids then move your eye around until they feel comfortable.

beau
Rating
open your eye as much as u can put a dab of water in your eye place the lense in your eye keepin it open leave for half an hour trusst me take it out dry it and your ye and place it in your it will then last for ages trust me i know is ive done it it works told from specksavers

Kemmy
Rating
I generally look straight ahead, at something in the distant. My lens is on my index finger, and I use the middle fingers of both hands to pull the skin around my eyes away.

As for taking my lens out, I do it in a similar way.
I pry open the skin around my eyes with the same middle fingers and with my thumb and index finger, squeeze the side of my soft contact lens and it comes out immediately. Again, I look straight ahead.

Rating
Tilt head up towards very dim lights. Go directly in towards the eye. But looki n other direction. If you see it comeing you will want to blink. which will screw it all up.

Vikki
Rating
Depends on if you've got soft lenses or gas permeable ones. I've got the gas ones and to put them in, i just open my eyes really wide and look into the centre of them and press them into your eye not too hard, but firm enough to ensure they stick. Don't out too much solution on them - just one drop. I tried wearing soft ones but had problems putting them in and taking them out. Hope this helps!

kenjinuk
eye wide open, contact lens on middle finger one hand, other hand use across your open eye to stop your blink reaction. Try to keep still and hold your breath till its in place. Relax if you can, otherwise it will just get more and more irritating!
Yes you need to follow the lenswith your open eye, till it makes surface contact with your eye.
You should go back to the opticians and get their help, practice with them and see what they suggest. Some users will find it easier with other types of lens, so dont be discouraged!

steph
i've worn contacts for nearly ten years now... and the first couple of times it use to take me nearly half an hour to get them in..

what i do is pull my the bottom of my eye down on my cheek(lower lid) and open my eye.. and watch my eye in the mirror.. and move very slowly until the contact just fits nicely into my eye

marynew
it really is a case of finding how to hold your own eye works best. i tried how the opticians told me and i never got it right so then tried different ways and found the best way to hold my eyes which is totally different to how my daughter does hers. it really is a case of practise makes perfect. good luck and keep trying it is worth it.

Kardane
what i do is i take the contact out of the case, inspect it for folds, damage etc. (dont store your contacts folded, make sure they're stored in the shape they should be when on your eye, otherwise they will get creased and become a real hassle to put in) and ensure its right way around. once thats all done i place it on the tip of my right index finger. i use my leftthumb and index finger to hold my eyelid open, and then look up i gently place the contact onto my eye, and then look down. this way it gets aligned properly. then i pull my hand away, close my eyes for a second, and then blink twice. repeat for the other eye and bingo.

John H
Put it on the tip of your index finger.

Pull down your bottom eye lid with your next finger and look up.

Place the lens below the colored part of your eye and slide up slightly. Use a slight rolling motion to keep air bubbles out.

I've been doing the above procedure successfully for over 32 years! I don't even need a mirror!

§§

tuppassister
Rating
this is my method. i don't use a mirror.
i put the contact on the flat tip of my finger making sure it has a little lotion in it. i tilt my head downward.
with my left hand i pull down my lower lid, widen my eye as far as possible then put the lens directly on my pupil.

i make a small swirl motion so there is no air, leave it for a second or two then close my eye.

this never fails for me. as you practise make sure your leaning over a surface so if you do drop your lens it will fall on that surface not on the floor and most importantly if you drop it, clean it before you try again.

i only have sight in one eye now because of lazy contact cleanliness.
i haven't let it put me off though, I'm just very care full and wear daily disposables so as not fail again. hope I've helped you.

don't give up, practise is what it's all about and you will find your own method in the end x good luck x

*Care Bear*
I've worn contact lenses for a few years now, luckily I took to them like a duck to water so it's a shame you're not finding it so easy.

I find they're easiest to put in when they've just been cleaned with Saline, that you get from the optician's, so they're nice & flexible & clean, obviously!

I place the lense on my forefinger, making sure its the right way up & pull the bottom of my eye down with another finger.

I find it easier to stare straight ahead or actually at the contact lense when putting it in, then you're less likely to blink.

Gently slide the lense onto your eye ball, I find this works best doing it from the bottom then rubbing the bottom of your eye until the lense slides into place.

I tend to blink a couple of times & let the lense settle & hopefully it shouldn't pop out.

The reason they fall out may either be because;
- There is too much moisture in the eye, which creates a bubble & forces the lense out.

OR
- Your eye is too dry & when you move your eye or blink the lense isn't gliding with it, just forcing itself out.

If its any help, it took me a while to perfect the technique so they went in right every time, it just takes a bit of practice so hang in there! If you really want to wear them, you'll percevere, I know I did!

Good Luck!!!

Abbie C
Rating
they take a while to master but you'll be doing it in seconds after a bit of practice. I find pulling my lower eyelid down with one finger helps then with contact lens on tip of other finger place straight towards the iris. I then usuall find it useful to tip my head back and blink to ensure it gets into place.

ding_slap
Rating
I always turn sideways on to the mirror and look at the mirror. Put the contact lens on to the white bit of my eye and not on to the pupil. I then turn to face the mirror and push it into place by putting my finger under my bottom eyelashes.

Always make sure the lense is in an upside-down dome shape on the tip of your finger and that the edges of the lense aren't stuck to your finger.

laydeeheartless
The key isn't too look down but to look up and to the side of your eye. Most people try to put the contact lens directly onto the iris where the colour of your eye is, but the key is to actually put it on the white part of your eye and then automatically the lens will fall into place after a few blinks. Also when you first wear lenses you are told to pull open you eye from above, its easier to pull your lower lid down and slip the lens in that way. It'll come to you with practise!

DeeDee
I usually look straight ahead and put it right in. don't worry too much. You'll eventually find a method that suits you. I take it the method your optician suggested doesn't work then?

LFish_98
Rating
Look directly at the contact lense as you move you finger towards your eye. Eventually you won't even flinch as you put them in.

silentxxxrage
Rating
First, add a few drops of re-wet drops in both eyes. Next place a lense on the tip of your finger and fill with some solution. Next bend your head over and use the other hand to open your eye lids with your thumb and index finger and place the lense on your eye ball.

The solution will cause a vacuume effect and your lense with move off your fingertip and attack to the eye, then let go of the eye lids.

Next wet your eyes with drops again and blink.

If they are falling out its because you didnt wet them enough or your eyes are dry or the lense overlapped. Otherwise it should work all the time. Just takes practice.

Jack
Look directly into a mirror as you do it. Not at the contact lense or your finger. The contact lense needs to fix on to your pupil so looking up/down won't work. Hope that helps :)

gorgeousfluffpot
Rating
For the left eye: Put the lens on the tip of your leftindex finger, and plenty of saline solution on it which helps the adhesion. With the left hand, you have the lens on your index finger and with your middle finger pull gently down on the skin below your eye. Use the index finger of your right hand to gently pull up on the eyelid.
So, top eyelid: index finger of right hand
Bottom eyelid, middle finger of left hand
Your contact lens is now balanced on your left index finger which is in the middle and will 'plop' in nicely because the saline will ensure adhesion.
This is SOOOOO difficult to write - I have stopped typing this several times to wave my fingers about and remind myself how I do it!!!

beaner
Sit down at the kitchen table with a large mirror.
1. Start with RT Eye

2. Take Left hand over head

3. Take Middle finger pull UP top eye lid hold tight

4. Take contact put RT hand on index finger making sure its shape like a bowl

5. With the Rt Middle finger pull down bottom eye lid hold tight

6. LOOKING into mirror hard without blinking

7. Slowing bring in index finger closer to eye, let the contact form to eye, do not force the contact in, do it slow.

8. Take your time and do the same for Left eye GOOD LUCK

wendypie
Rating
First of all relax you are not going to poke your eyes out.Place contact lens on index finger.Then whilst holding your bottom eyelid down with middle finger of same hand insert lens try not using other hand it gets in the way.I've been wearing contact lenses for 15 years and could put them in while standing on my head in the dark without a mirror its just practice.

OO7
Rating
Never be in a hurry.

Never be distracted.

Put the plug in.

Look at your pupil in the mirror and with the lens on the tip of your index finger follow it onto your pupil gently. Blink gently and do the next one.

caroline1409f1
Bummer - putting them in can be so awkward. My husband can put them in in seconds without even looking in a mirror. Sometimes it's luck with me and they go straight in and other times my eyes are running and bloodshot I've had so many attempts (I don't wear them very often so guess I might be out of practise). I pull my lower lid down with one finger with the lens on another finger and try to hold the top lid up too. Very fiddly but I find closing the eye and blinking once the lens in kind of helps. If you are really struggling why don't you go to the optician for a 'lesson' and advice? Good luck.

sun_is_shining
There is a knack to putting in contact lens:

Put the lens on your index finger.

With the finger next to the index finger on that hand, pull down the lower lid of the eye.

Stare at your reflection in the mirror.

Place the index finger with the contact lens against the eye.

Put the contact lens on the white of the iris slightly below the iris. You place your index finger with the lens just under the iris.

This technique avoids the eye's tendency to react and reject the finger.

Blink just after you place it and the lens will float to the iris.

This works. It is the simplest technique for placing a lens in the eye. It will work for soft lenses and gas permeable lenses.

If, for some reason, the lens gets stuck, just use your index finger to move it in an outward circular motion upwards towards the iris, while blinking in between attempts. Eventually the lens will find the iris.

saljegi
Rating
I'm so pleased you asked this question - I was wondering the same thing. What I don't understand is how you find it so easy to take them out. I have read all the posts and taken them on board as most are very good answers. Perhaps when you award the points for the best answer you can add a little note as to how you take them out so easily. I have spent up to an hour sometimes trying to get the little ****** out and still not being sure if I had achieved this or not. I wear daily lenses and there are times when I feel I just don't want to go through with it! I wonder if I am damaging my eyes by constantly fingering them to try to get the lens out.
I have been wearing them for about six months now and still feel like a trainee. Terrible thing to say but it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one having trouble. I hope all the advice helps and that you and I both manage to master the challenge.
By the way, I happened to cough one morning whilst trying to locate a lens which was at the launching pad at the end of my finger and then disappeared. I spent the next half an hour looking for it, thinking it was in the bathroom sink, and eventually found it stuck to the tiled walls. Funny but not so funny!
Good luck.

Nilpa1
I work in an opticians and have to teach people everyday on how to wear contact lenses. if you have never had a teach you should go to your opticians. there are many risks involved with contact lenses.

someone previously wrote moisten your finger, dont do this!! you dont want any germs at all in contact with the lens or your eye as this can lead to infections.

From what i gather you can get the lens in but cant seem to keep it in there. there are many different ways to put lenses in and each person has their own technique. if you are someone who blinks or your eye naturally shuts when your finger comes near your eye. the only way you can keep your eye open and give yourself enough space to put the lens in, is by holding your eye lashes down firmly. that way even if you wanted to shut your eye you cant.

Making sure that the contact lens is the correct way (it is very hard to tell if it is with soft lenses as they are so soft now a days). gently pinch the lens and see if it stays in shape. if it wants go in on itself than it is the wrong way. you must make sure it is the right way because otherwise it could pop out your eye when you do get it in. most people find it easier to hold the top eye lashes with the opposite arm. e.g. your right eye bring your left hand over the top and gently bring back the eye lid and hold your lashes down firmly. with your right hand middle finger bring down your bottom eye lid. Make sure the contact lens is postitioned correctly on your finger not right on the tip and not too far down. place the lens directly over the iris(coloured part of the eye) and gently press. DO NOT CLOSE YOUR EYE AT THIS POINT. if there is an air bubble and you close your eye then the lens could pop back out again. look up and down and look sides ways. do not blink at all. slowly close your eye over the lens. keep your eye shut and gently massage it. slowly open your eye. if it feels uncomfortable then gently move it to the side, let go and keep blinking.

Few tips:

try to keep your fingers and hands dry as you get better grip.

Dont pull on the lashes.

do not put a torn lens in your eye.

Wipe your hands on a towel or tissue paper, never your clothes as they hold germs.

never clean your lenses in water.

never overwear your lenses. this is important to allow your eyes to breathe. which also relates to not sleeping in them (unless the optician says you can)

If the lens is slightly dry you should add a drop of solution or saline before you put them in.

Every time you blink the contact lens repositions itself.

Always wash your hands.

If you have any problems you should seek help at Accident & Emergency.

I hope this helps

Good Luck