Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diet & Fitness
Health Discussion Forum

I am a 14 year old female..weigh 117 adn i am like 5 ft.....am i overweight?

POLL- If I don't eat for a week, how much would i loose?
I am 13. I am 5"2, and I weigh 116.5 pounds..ahh
I am a gymnast, and I workout 4 hours a day. I do have a lot of muscle but 116.5 pounds is A LOT. If I don't eat for 1 week, how much ...

Am I anorexic???
I'm 14 and have problems with my weight. I'm 5'3" (156 cm) and I'm 84 pounds (6 stone 39 kg) Does this mean I'm fat??? I really want to loose some weight and I can'...

A sensible choice for snacking before bed?
I always get really hungry before I go to bed I know that eating late is the worst time and makes you gain weight easily overnight. Im getting tired of eating fruit and yoghurt. Are there any other ...

Is drinking coffee safe for teenagers?
i heard that drinking coffee will stunt a teenager's growth but is that true and i mean teenagers age 13-19....

How do I stop eating?
Like, I want to see what it's like to not eat anything for a few days, but I don't know how to explain it to my mom and how to actually get the willpower to do it......

I am 14 and am 5'7.5 and weigh 135, is this average or underweight or what?haha?

Made fun of for being skinny?
i know im skinny...i just turned 13 in november..and i weigh 78 lbs..im 4'11? my friends and people call me anorexic or whatever and they dont know how it hurts and i barely ever make fun of the ...

How did YOU quit smoking once and for all?
It's been five days, and I'm down to three cigs a day now. But my head is hurting, and I'm very moody. Can you guys share your experiences, and little tricks that worked for you, as ...

Am I over weight?
Im 13 and im 5'3-5'4. i weigh 120-130 lbs....

How much should i weigh?
I am 14 years old and i am 5 2
right now i am currently 99 ...

If I have my dinner at 8:30 pm will I get fat?

Starving to lose some weight....?
Advice if starving to lose weight works?

Well I've never been happy with my size - ever...
i've reached the point in my life where i'm not liking 'me"!
i&...

What are some good ways to make yourself get up early! say like 6:00 or 7:00?
i have to get up early to run 4-5 miles because i'm on the crosscountry team but i can't get up an earlier then 8 or 9!!! how do i wake up that early!!! (besides an alarm clock! i already ...

Am i fat..you tell me!?
hey here are my stats..

age 15
weight 74kg or 163 pounds
height about 5 8"
waist 34-35 inches

so am i fat???

thanks guys!...

Am i overweight?
Im 14 years old 137 pounds and 5'8 am i overweight?...

Skipping meals help?
How bad is it to only eat dinner. If I skip breakfast, for lunch have maybe some water and a bag of pretzels and then just eat a big dinner. I'm a 20 year old female (if that matters)...

How fat am i?
My mum tells me i need to lose weight, my dad constantly asks me whether i've exercised and i've been made fun of at college for being fat. so what do u people think? and how much do i need ...

Is diet coke bad for you?

Embarrassed while jogging?
Hi. I've been jogging to lose a bit of weight, and slowly my endurance (and confidence!) has been improving. but today, it was very windy, so i just went for a jog around the block. My Mom ...

gsmith1236@sbcglobal...
How much water should I drink at a minimum each day? Does swimming tone your body?
I am swimming and doing exercises in my pool to burn calories but will this also tone my body? After the first few days my body was pretty sore.

How much water should I drink in ounces per day?

2HOT2HOLD
Rating
A minimum of 8 glasses per day. Swimming does tone your body and is a good exercise for maximum number of muscles in the human body compared to running, skipping, walking, and working out in the gym.

C P
Rating
water consumption depends on the individual, if you can drink 6 bottles a day (16-20 oz.), great, general rule is drink when you are thirsty, especially when excercising you dont want to dehydrate! As for swimming, its a good muscle toner and its great to hear you are doing some form of excercise, but another rule, if you are sore then your body is telling you need to rest! Resting is more important than excercising, because during the day "off" and sleeping is when muscles repair and regenerate, little rest leads to muscle fatigue and breakdown which is not what you are looking for, think of the long distance runner who is skinny and bony, perfect example. Good Luck!

alice b
Rating
SWIMMING IS A WONDERFUL WAY TO TONE YOUR BODY--------DRINK ABOUT 8 TO 9 GLASSES OF WATER A DAY-------AND MAKE SURE YOU EAT LOTS OF VEGETABLES TO ADD MORE WATER AND TO CURB YOUR APPETITE-----WALKING IS GREAT TOO

AB

elemenopee.
Rating
people misjudge the amount of water needed each day. It also depends on the amount of activity your doing. I go by a different basis-- when i am thirsty-- i drink something. You fluid intake can be anything from a popcicle to green tea and milk to pickle juice-- the base of all of these things is water.

Swimming will definately tone your body but while doing any exercise you must keep up with it 30 mins a day and 3-4 times per week. Swimming is the greatest exercise because it targets every muscle in your body. It is also great because the water creates an on- earth anti- gravity system so people with injuries or artheritis dont put muck strain on those sensitive areas.

preety women
Rating
8 glass water . dont drink water in between the food drink a sip
if needed .drink water after 10 minutes after food it will help u, it take time u to settle but it will help

alter_tygo
At least 64 ounces. And yes, swimming will tone your body, particularly if you swim the crawl. It will help the muscles define your waist.

vanilla_bean_dream
Rating
yes, swimming tones your body. it's a very very good form of exercise. you should drink 48-64 oz of water per day

Carrie
Rating
just carry around a water bottle and drink when your thirsty, theres not an exact amount for everyone. swimming is a major plus in toning your body because its a cardio exercise and slims you down well. maybe try running/ lifting along with that

cafe_blue_note
Rating
64 oz is minimum, but I try to drink 1 gallon a day. You can never drink too much.

perry53545
should drink 8-8 ounces per day

Mountain Dragon
It goes by your body weight. I can't remember the facts but know that I drink about a gallon and a half a day and I weigh about 275. If you can figure out the scale based on that. It's so many ounces per pound a day. And yes, swimming is the very best exercise you can do. I have chronic back problems and my doctors say that swimming is the best because it is the least harmful on your joints while burning the most calories and toning your body. It is very safe for you while working every muscle. Good luck!

Opus
Rating
You don't need to drink ANY fixed amount of water per day.
It's a myth. Not supported by any science.
These people are just repeating an urban legend - read the debunking first!

Drink when you're thirsty. Period.

altheiadashner372000
I THINK YOU SHOULD DRINK 8 GLASSES A DAY .

The Invincible Rasputin
I'd suggest 12-15 glasses as a MUST. Take my word for it, I'd lost 60 lbs. but not only through excess drinking of water but regular exercises as well. And I never went on a crash-diet.

:)
Rating
8 glasses is recommended.

KB
Rating
You should drinnk 8 8-ounce glasses of water a day - but up that because you are swimming, exercise can dehydrate you - so drink up! (just don't drink the pool water)

Swimming, good competitive swim practice WILL tone your body, adn yes it will make you sore at first. This won't last all swim season, but you are working out muscles that aren't used to the motions you are putting them through. This soreness is fine (I actually LOVE the feeling each season) It will go away with time as your muscles strengthen. There isn't anything out there better than swimming to tone your whol body, so keep it up!

keep_up_w_this
Rating
a gallon per day minimum and swimming will tone your body and the soreness means it's working.

--------
Rating
8-10 glasses

txcatwoman
Rating
2 qts

haybabyjess
Rating
when my brother was working out he drank 2 gallons of water a day and he lost over 50 lbs occurs with a healthy diet to

Questions/Answers Critic (QAC)!
Question #1. 64 ounces - 8 oz cups daily or 2 - 32oz cups daily.
Question #2. Yes swimming is a good form of exercise, as it causes you to use muscles you don't normally use doing other exersices.

J.B. Goode
Swimming is an excellent cardiovascular workout and also exercises all the muscles of the body simultaneously. Drink anywhere from 48 ounces to 64 ounces of water per day. (your body is sore because you just started working out-perhaps it's best to give your muscles a few days rest)

getubistorm
swimming is excellent exercise. 8-8oz glasses of water is minimum an average sized adult should drink...64 oz/day

DENISE
Rating
drink 8-8onces of water a day
thats 8 onces of icey cold water,and yes swimming will tone you up and the hurt means your doing something right,that will pass as you get into it more.
good luck

pizzagirl
Rating
8 cups in general (64 ounces.) But, if you are exercising regularly or are in a really hot locale, you should increase that. My personal trainer recommends a full gallon when exercising (128 ounces.)

dkny
8 glasses

Bobbi H
Fact : The body is 80% water, we need to drink at least 1/2 our body weight in ounces of water. Water removes harmful toxins from the body, Dehydration slows down the body's metabolism. Lack of H2O causes daytime fatigue.
Water regulates the temperature of the human body, carries nutrient and oxygen to cells, cushions joints, protects organs and tissue and removes wastes. Your answer is 64 oz a day.
A mere two percent drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory trouble with basic math problems and difficulty focusing. Good luck

Ms. Dorsey
the amount of water you consume relates to how active you are. 64 oz is a rule of thumb but for more active people (distance runners, cyclist) you may require more. Water is great either way!

custard93
8 glasses

a2ndchanceatlife
Rating
You should make is a habit to drink a glass of water at each meal and one glass between each meal. I hear the water exercise is just as good for your body because of the resistance of the water. The chances for injury is also reduced.

elk312
Rating
About 8-10 8oz. glasses of water per day is the general recommendation. An easy way to do it is to drink the standard sized bottled waters. Since most are about 16 oz. (1 pint), each bottle is two cups. You can purchase them in most grocery stores by the case (and they usually will be on special, e.g. 2/$9)or by the six-pack.

If you drink 4-5 of these bottles per day you can be sure that you are getting as much as you need and they are convenient to tote around with you too. Toss them in your gym bag, brief case, back pack (ladies, purses) and just hydrate throughout the day. The new flavored waters are a great way to change it up too if you get bored of plain old water.

Swimming is great exercise for you and very gentle on joints. You will be sore at first but that's normal. Keep working through it. Of course, if something is really hurting you, be sure to ask your doctor about it right away.

Otherwise, keep it up!

And BTW, in response to Opus' answer above, I don't know of any professional trainer or health professional who will tell you drinking 8-10 glasses of water per day is a myth. If you wait until you are thirsty, your body is already dehydrated and it's your body's signal to you that you need to start drinking water. And that's the pure science of it. It's called physiology 101-look it up!

Oh, and as for "water poisoning": excess water will simply be expelled via urination. It does NOT accumulate in your brain. There is a VERY small percentage of the population that suffers from an electrolyte imbalance that MAY be exacerbated by overindulging in water consumption but the average person would have to drink SO much water (and simultaneously be perspiring in gross excess) for this to be an issue that you most likely would become full and just stop drinking before it got to that point.

Be careful of the answers that you get on this site. When in doubt, ask your health care professional.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Monday, March 25, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy