Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

What helped you to stop cutting yourself?

If you've ever been suicidal, what prevented you from doing it?

POLL: Do you stress out over little things in your life ???
Thank you....

BIG woman problems ahead for me. Advice urgenty sought ?
My g/f of six months belives i spent 8 years in the Parachute Regiment. I have even brought some second hand body armour for bedroom games and her nickname for me is " Serge"
Problem ...

My sister just stopped breathing. She isn't answering my questions.?
what should I do......

How do i cope with the death of my dad?
any ideas how im ment feel or is feeling numb normal
Additional Details
thank you for all your kind words it's going be hard 2 ...

I am 23 years old. I depend too much on my parents for everything. Am I normal?

Should you ever seek revenge on someone who has caused you suffering and/or pain? Why/Why not?

Weird question that ive always wondered
What time is it and what state do you live in,
I live in oregon and is 4:00 am ...

I only have four cigarettes left?
what am i suppose to do i wont have any money until tomorrow and four cigarettes wont last that long. im not tired so sleeping wont help. IM FREAKING OUT!!! what do i ...

Does any one wish they could delete unwanted information out of their heads?
I find I have far too good of a memory, I remember too much useless knowledge....

How can i improve my knoledge?

How can i get my 17 year old g/f to have a b00b job, i fear she is going saggy already and its not nice?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)!...

I can't control my temper, what can i do about it?
serouisly, i am really gonna end up killing someone one day and i can't stop arguing with my mam. everyday is hell for me! how can i stop being so stressed out? no nasty people please, i know i&#...

Suicide please help?
i am 21 old with Cerebral Palsy i can walk and do everything i just walk funny i have a felony for robbery when i was 18 for a coat that fall off during a fight and then a few months later lost a ...

How do you get ride of stress?

I'm getting ready to snort heroin for the first time. What can I expect?

What is your fear??
what are you most afraid of and why??

its ok dont be ascared!! xxx x x x x
Additional Details
well im arachnaphobic - fear ...

Should I run around the neighborhood naked screaming "I'M A LITTLE GIRL!!"?

Do I have to tell my employer I take antidepressants?
Ive just finished college and Im going to start applying for jobs. Everyone I know that works in the field Im going into said they had to do a medical prior to getting there jobs, during with time ...

ruby
Depression.....?
What is the best thing to do to get rid of depression.. I'm on antidepressants but don't want to take them for the rest of my life ... And i'm single coz blokes don't understand/ can't cope with how i'm feeling . But i'm a decent person .. blokes get scared off...
Additional Details
no1 is taking this serious are they ?? !

Hirisha S
Rating
it depends wot is depressing u,u can either sorted out or moveing on is da best way from it.jus think of a new goal 2 work towards!

hondanut
Rating
have depression and am currently on 12 weeks sick leave...collapsed at work...see your doctor..mine has me on the weakest anti depressant,..as I'm only 81/2 stone..........i can continue doing things ....like drive .....and shopping it just seems to stop negative thoughts....don't know how..but they work

Debbie M
I have suffered from depression for over 4 years now, The best thing I ever did apart from finding a psychiatrist was to start exercising. I know it may not be what you want to do right now but it does help. I am now off my anti depressants and although I still get down it's not nearly as bad as before. It releases the happy chemicals in your brain and has been scientifically proven to work.

dazed_and_confused
Rating
Unfortunately, psychology isn't an exact science. Finding what works to help you is generally trial and error. As someone who has struggled with depression much of my life, I can offer these suggestions:

- find a therapist you really like and trust. it is important to have someone who is objective monitor your moods. you need to figure out _why_ you're depressed
- take antidepressants under the guidance of a psychiatrist and therapist. don't make changes to the dose or stop taking them without guidance
- get a physical and rule out any kind of medical problem
- become as educated as possible about depression
- exercise. seriously. just walking 30 minutes a day can do wonders if you aren't already active
- find something you are really passionate about and do it. this has probably helped me more than anything. find something you like that will make you happy to do it. whether it's painting, cooking, learning something new. sometimes when you're depressed you get kind of immobilized. when you just _do_ something it helps so much. and then you get that feeling of accomplishment
- resist the urge to isolate yourself. hang out with friends whenever possible
- practice relaxation therapy, meditation, and breathing exercises
- modify your diet. make sure you are eating properly. this is a HUGE one. if you aren't getting all of the vitamins you need (especially B-complex), this can result in depression. a good book to check out is _You: The Owner's Manual_ by Michael Roizen, MD
- drink in moderation. remember alcohol is a depressant
- you may want to consider herbal remedies like st. john's wort or SAM-E. however, they can interact with antidepressants. read up on them first
- be kind to yourself.

know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. it will take some work, but it will get better!!! it's hard for people to understand what you are going through if they haven't been through it. maybe right now is not the time to be in a relationship. you need the time to focus on yourself and get better. and it _will_ happen!!! good luck!!!

tomapepe
Rating
first why did u feel so depress in everything u do. there is one thing u don,t know depression is not a good thing it make u loose all what u,ve plan for it may be a little step for u to take to place of ur progress but by the time u have the feeling depression u will make all ur work for hundred years to dissappear just like that. My dear pls....................... never think of depress u still have a lot of thing to do ahead u, is better u forget about depress and encourage yourself in whatsoever u are doing okay. May God help u.
And if u feel like depression is coming too much on ur way put everything onto God hand and pray so u will not discourage by anything again and have progress in ur life. bye.

Nosey parker
Rating
You need activities, sports, hobbies etc anything and everything that keeps you active. Then you need to relax and treat yourself to somethings you like. These should be the inexpensive sort a relaxing bath.

People who are depressed spend to much time alone go out meet friends.

Medications can be gradually cut back when you start building up your life, through the assistance of medical professional.

Good luck.

micksmixxx
Rating
You may feel that no-one is taking this seriously, hon, but I doubt that that's really the case. Depression isn't a condition that can be seen, and is not easily understood by the majority of folk.

Sadly, as you've found out, what people don't know about frightens them. That's why you're experiencing difficulty in finding a bloke that'll stick with you.

As others have already mentioned, antidepressants by themself isn't the answer. They'll deal, on a physical level, with the chemical imbalance that's going on in your brain, but they won't deal with the psychological aspects of the condition. For that you need to ask your doctor to refer you to a psychiatrist. S/he will determine, after several interviews with you, the best course of action to take. You may need ongoing support from a psychologist who will be able to offer you support by way of counselling and other treatments.

I wish you the very best of luck in overcoming your 'problems'. You've taken the first step by speaking out on this forum, now take the second step and speak to your doctor. Tell him/her exactly how you feel, making sure you state that you don't want to be taking antidepressants for the rest of your life. (Has s/he tried alternative medications/therapies?)

r.m.cannon@btinternet.com
Rating
you haven't said wat you are feeling. depression as a illness wat you really need to ask yourself is are you looking for love and understanding. if the answer is yes then just go with it . you will find it when you least expect it.

sioux
Rating
It can be hard to motivate yourself to do anything when you are depressed. I think the best thing you can do is go to your local gym or class and do some exercise. It's a good way to meet with other people too.You will feel really good, both mentally and physically after a good work out. Try it, what have you to lose. You say you don't want to stay on anti depressants forever, so give it a go. You will feel better for it

churchls0904
Rating
Firstly depression is treatable, taking the tablets may help ease the feelings, but counselling and talking are excellent ways of working through the original cause.

Men do have a tough time understanding,however its much more important you know why you feel the way you do.

Think about managing the current situation and not nessaryly changing it till you have all the answers.
Good luck, best wishesx

Angel D
Rating
You should take antidepressants for as long as the doc says. The DO work and you will eventually come out of the darkness. Good luck and never stop taking them without your docs permission as it can make you feel quite ill. Even if you feel better you should keep taking them until he says its safe, this is usually a gradual process and despite what is said at times, they are not usually addictive.

punkpanther
Rating
I have taken ciprimil for 3 years. No side effects. No problems. If a guy is scared off because you are on medication, he's not worth it.

mini me
i have depression if you want to talk I'm here for u

saorsie
try exercise even a good regular walks

mitch
Rating
1. It's a chemical imbalance in some instances, thus the meds to keep you even. See your physician again & let them know what is working for you & what is not. Maybe another med would be more effective, with less side effects.

2. Someone said, "Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Depression". I think there is some truth in this.

3. Sit down & make a list of everything on your shoulders right now. Sometimes looking at a list puts it into perspective. You may have valid reasons for feeling depressed. Separate the fear reasons from reality reasons. You may well just have too much on your plate & feel so overwhelmed that you don't know where to start.

4. If you are a heavy caffeine user (i.e. pop, coffee, tea, etc.) cut back. Caffeine can have a negative effect increasing urgency, anxiety & temper.

Good luck and warm regards.

cyndi_035
Rating
Hard to say. Meds can be a good thing but yes nobody wants to be on them forever. Find love and happiness within yourself an know it doesn't matter what others think.

?
Seriously, depression is so common now that most people suffer from it at one time or another. Clinical depression or one of the manics are a different matter though.

A lot of well meaning docs out there see a female coming and just assume depression so unless you have been tested for this don't just assume that is what you suffer from.

Antidepressants are very helpful if this is your malady and there is no stigma attached to taking them any more.

As for blokes, who really cares if they like you or not? Is it your ambition to marry one of them? If so then take your meds and get on with your life.
If you are still depressed after the pills then you need to see your doc and get evaluated as they are not working.

Northman
Rating
Try taking St Johns wort,also certain foods can boost serotonin ,like bananas.

Orinoco
Treatments for depression are basically: Psychotherapy (talk therapy with a good therapist), Pharmacotherapy (antidepressants) and Shock therapy for severe depression.

Psychotherapy is the best and has the best results. Different ways of thinking can affect your brain biochemistry and can affect further thought patterns. See the wiki page on cognitive therapy. The trouble here is that it is hard work and dedication that gets the job done. Most people just want to take a magic pill and have things fixed for them and are not about fixing things themselves - this is just NORMAL people, but especially so in depressed people.

A good book on cognitive therapy is "Beating the Blues" S Tanner, J Ball

Pharmacotherapy involves antidepressant medications. These take some time to come on and have an effect. They tend to work 50% of the time and rely on the patient being compliant and taking the right dose at the right time - mostly pretty easy but of course when you are amotivated and couldn't be bothered well it doesn't always happen. See the wiki page on antidepressants

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) was brought about by the observation that people with epilepsy rarely get depression. It transpires that if you induce a small fit, you can fix depression over time. Only for SEVERE depression.

Good luck!

Allen
I have been depressed for most of my life. I have had a "so called" handle on it most of that time (I don't take any meds., nor to I see anyone about it). I went to a psychiatrist when I was in my early teens as the hospital required it. I had a physical issue not mental, but the hospital's procedure was for everyone (I guess because of my youth) to see someone.
I still, sort of, have a handle on it, although I just don't care about things anymore. I am supposed to take medication (heart ailment from my teens), but I don't take it all the time anymore. It doesn't bother me not taking it or it's possible consequences, I have no fear, nor do I care about anything anymore.
Since I waited too long, it is probably too late for me, but to answer your question, I would take your antidepressants as your doctor prescribed, and continue to see him/her.
People can't cope, because most of society doesn't understand, or is unwilling to understand. You will find someone sooner or later, but again don't wait (I'm single too, as I waited too long), just listen to your doctor, and eventually things will turn to the better.
Good luck to you.

really need to know
soak yourself in a nice tub of water with aromas you like..

Emma D
i was depressed about 12 months ago and tried to avoid taking any medication for it but i can understand where u are coming from not wanting to take them for the rest of your life. Do things that keep u happy eg: play Ur fave sport or listen to music keep Ur mind off the things that are hurting u. and the main thing is talk make sure u talk about it. don't keep it to yourself because if u do this then it gets worse. don't have caffeine cola and coffee makes u edgy. I'm not a doctor just someone who has been through it and was told no medication just positive thinking. but i hope this helps and good luck with it. It will get better

Phil J
Hi there. Understand your problem. I to suffer with depression. I don't like taking anti-depressants, I take them when I have to but get off them again as soon as possible. They do not cure depression but give you the mental space you need to find some kind of balance for yourself.
I also attend a psychoanalytical therapy group.
As for the blokes running, the ladies do it too. Very few people can handle being around people with depression, especially if they do not understand it. We've seen people on here with comments like 'pull yourself together'. Idiots, do they think we want to suffer like this.
I wish you well and hope you find the path you need.

chrissy b
my girlfriend was on them when i met her but she got off them gradually so if you want to stop them dont just stop do it gradually..i have also been on them and it dont make you a mad bad person just try eating more vegetables, fruit go walking anything just do more to keep your mind occupied at all times get a good hobby making thing's or just any good hobby. i could go on but i may bore you but i realy hope you get what i am saying and realy hope you get better soon as you sound a realy good person.

twerf
I dont know what sort of assisatnce you have sought, but try the Australian website for mental health its www.beyondblue.org.au. Hope this helps, oh and one thing, though you may not believe it at the moment, you can get through depression. But you cant do it alone if you've had it for a while. Take care adn hang in.

Susan M
Keep on with the antidepressants - they take time to work. Consider exercise - walking is good - there is a lot of research to suggest it helps. Make sure you are eating good food. Alcohol is a depressant. Right now focus on yourself - a partner can wait. You probably won't need antidepressants for your entire life. But even if you do, it beats the alternative.

Best of luck,

Sue

patches0528
Well, yeah antidepressants help (I'm on light ones myself) but I've found they don't do it alone. You should also seek some therapy (it doesn't mean you're crazy) and to be honest - here's the book that got me out of my depression. Feeling Good by David Burns. Seriously, nothing got me out of my depression as fast as that book.

john_0502000
Rating
I am also a patient of depression. Do u like to chat with me.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.134
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy