Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

If you've ever been suicidal, what prevented you from doing it?

POLL: Do you stress out over little things in your life ???
Thank you....

BIG woman problems ahead for me. Advice urgenty sought ?
My g/f of six months belives i spent 8 years in the Parachute Regiment. I have even brought some second hand body armour for bedroom games and her nickname for me is " Serge"
Problem ...

My sister just stopped breathing. She isn't answering my questions.?
what should I do......

How do i cope with the death of my dad?
any ideas how im ment feel or is feeling numb normal
Additional Details
thank you for all your kind words it's going be hard 2 ...

I am 23 years old. I depend too much on my parents for everything. Am I normal?

Should you ever seek revenge on someone who has caused you suffering and/or pain? Why/Why not?

Weird question that ive always wondered
What time is it and what state do you live in,
I live in oregon and is 4:00 am ...

I only have four cigarettes left?
what am i suppose to do i wont have any money until tomorrow and four cigarettes wont last that long. im not tired so sleeping wont help. IM FREAKING OUT!!! what do i ...

Does any one wish they could delete unwanted information out of their heads?
I find I have far too good of a memory, I remember too much useless knowledge....

How can i improve my knoledge?

How can i get my 17 year old g/f to have a b00b job, i fear she is going saggy already and its not nice?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)!...

I can't control my temper, what can i do about it?
serouisly, i am really gonna end up killing someone one day and i can't stop arguing with my mam. everyday is hell for me! how can i stop being so stressed out? no nasty people please, i know i&#...

Suicide please help?
i am 21 old with Cerebral Palsy i can walk and do everything i just walk funny i have a felony for robbery when i was 18 for a coat that fall off during a fight and then a few months later lost a ...

How do you get ride of stress?

I'm getting ready to snort heroin for the first time. What can I expect?

What is your fear??
what are you most afraid of and why??

its ok dont be ascared!! xxx x x x x
Additional Details
well im arachnaphobic - fear ...

Should I run around the neighborhood naked screaming "I'M A LITTLE GIRL!!"?

Do I have to tell my employer I take antidepressants?
Ive just finished college and Im going to start applying for jobs. Everyone I know that works in the field Im going into said they had to do a medical prior to getting there jobs, during with time ...

How do you get rid of stress?

thecat
Can my boss keep ringing me while I'm off sick?
Help needed urgently!!! I'm off sick from work with a four week sicknote from the doctor for stress and depression. Caused in no small part by my boss who is a bully and a complete control freak.
She keeps ringing me and demanding that I complete certain tasks for her and that my husband fetch and carry things between home and work.
Is she allowed to do this and if not how can I stop her?
Every time the phone rings I have a panic attack I need help!
Additional Details
to answer the query, my husband doesn't ! he has a job to do too, unfortunately at the same place!!!!

ufo18
Rating
After three days yes, but with a sick note no, check company law working conditions (library )

-Tiff-
Rating
No she cant. You're off sick and she has no right to be disturbing your privacy. You should report her. But if you want to be nice then just unplug your phone and if she ever asks then tell her that you accadently didnt hang it up right.

paraghardas
Rating
If this is the stage you have reached then the present work is not so important then your health. What do you do when your clothes are old and torn and dont fit you any more? Simply throw them away ... similarly if your boss dont understand and not ready to accept your state of mind and that too at your time of need just blow away the job for time being ... may be disconnect the phone for few days ... take rest. You and only you can shread that stress and depression with some help from doctors and medicines ... try to be relaxed. Think of all the other good things you have ... think of people who love you so much ... go spend some time with them. Soon you will be better ... then may be join other job. Till then keep yourself busy in any other activities or hobbies you may have.
Help yourself!

dickie rulous
A decent boss would only ring you at home to ask how you are and to wish you well. As for telling you to do certain things for her via your husband, either you're off sick or you're not! If she insists on getting you to do something (and you're fool enough to do so!) then make a right dog's dinner of it, and then when she complains remind her that she has a medical certificate telling her that you are unfit for work and she therefore has no grounds for complaint. As for your husband acting as go between, tell him either to stop doing so, or send him away to stay with a friend for a few days (or at least get him to tell your boss that!) and tell her that he won't be available to run messages for you/her. Alternatively tell her you're going away "convalescent" for a few days so contact will be pointless.
Of course, when you're better, tell her to shove her job up her own bottom - and remind her that it will therefore join her there, because that's where SHE is by the sound of it!
Mind you, remember it's still YOUR fault for putting up for it all in the first place!

tanelia
Rating
report herto the labor board, then don't answer the phone let it go through the answering machine

clean-heart-steadfast-spirit
Legally, I don't know if she can or can't. But morally, it's just plain wrong! Use your time off to look for another job.

Snowflake
Rating
Speaking as a Human Resources Officer, yes she is allowed to contact you at home but there is a fine line between calling to see how you are and calling all the time harrassing you - sounds like she is doing the latter.

If you are off sick, then you should not be undertaking any work activities - your doctor says you are not well enough to be in work and that should be enough for her. Suggest you speak to a union if you are in one.

Specsy
Change your number and don't let your firm have the new one. They are not supposed to ask you for your number under the Human Rights Act (I forget which article or section but it refers to the right to a private life).

See a lawyer about making a claim for compensation against your firm AND your boss personally. My ex was bullied by his boss, nothing like as badly as your case. I got advice from a top employment lawyer at a firm in Fleet Street - we were advised to aim for a figure equivalent to about 18 months salary from his company, PLUS another £8,000 in damages from his boss personally. It soon made his boss think twice about picking on him, especially when his firm demoted him and moved him to another division. They re-issued their company handbook with a new section on harassment and bullying.

See a lawyer as soon as possible and get him or her to specifically state that your boss is NOT ALLOWED to call you at at home AT ALL anymore, either while you are off sick or if and when you return to work.

Chav Princess
She is allowed to contact you but she shouldn't be asking you to do things.

abilityunknown
Rating
unplug the phone...you should be resting...not getting panic attacks...your doctors note says you should be taking it steady..this carries more weight than what your boss wants...x

djp6314
In a word no. She is not alowed to call you while you are sick. I take it you have a dr's sick note? Once this is sent in you are off work due to illness as cerified by a Dr. The company can after a period of time ask you to see a company dr, normally if they are paying you full pay, not SSP. However in terms of work you can not and must not be asked to do any work, You are incapable of work as stated by your DR! Even if your employer does not belive this, they have to take your word for it!!!! I know as a manager I got shot as a knew one of my girls was not actually ill but out shopping! I had her in the office the following day, then got shot by HR! unless I can prove ie I caught her, I cant say anything! Also one of managers on another site got in major trouble for doing what your boss is doing! Speak with your HR people if it persists!

Minxy_uk
Rating
No she can't do that, don't answer your phone, if your husband carries out requested tasks then he's more of a mug than you!

newromanticmum
No she's not! You've been signed off work by your doctor-that means that you are required only to rest and get better so that you may return to health and work. Her calling you and demanding you complete tasks for her and have your husband fetch and carry things between your work and home is hindering your recovery. Next time she calls,tell her in no uncertain terms that you are on sick leave-NOT AT WORK. Her constant calls are delaying your recovery,and you shall make an appointment with your GP and explain to him what's going on. If she doesn't leave you to recuperate,your sick leave would most likely be extended.

justme
NO SHE IS NOT !!!!!!!!!
If you are of sick especially for stress and depression she should be leaving you alone , ring or get your hubby to ring ucast or your local job center and they should be able to give you some advice. when you have got the information ring her or send her a email and ask her to leave you alone(the job center should be able to tell you what to do, if this does not work write a letter of complaint. it sounds to me like you are not happy in this job and would be better finding another ,
if you feel you have to leave because of her you have a case for constructive dismissal ( citizens advice can help you with this ) and the firm will have to pay you compensation .
SHE IS TOTALLY IN THE WRONG .
I HOPE YOU GET BETTER SOON XXX KAT

Agustin-Jean F
Rating
Get an answer machine that you can monitor incoming call on, or get BT to block her number

Black Orchid
Rating
No way is she allowed to do this if i was you id get in touch with Citizen`s Advice to find out how you stand
if you keep doing the work she will think there`s nothing wrong with you
How on earth are you going to get better when your getting no rest

Bono's Bug-Goggles
You CAN'T be this foolish! My god, stop answering the phone! I laugh at people who do this. I have more fun frustrating these people than anything. I just look them straight in the eye and just repeat the same things over and over again. "Sorry, I am on medical leave right now, you will have to get someone else to cover for me." I just give answers that are slightly related to the question and watch them get more and more impatient with me. Pretend you don't understand what is expected of you. Take a long time to do something, go past the deadline, then ask basic questions over again.

Or just act stupid enough where people stop asking you to do things, but not dumb enough to lose your job. People who are good get more work piled on them it seems. Incompetent people are allowed to slide by.

Or better yet, unplug it and have everyone you know just email you and have you call them back. After your boss gets the highly annoying answering machine message and crappy song 10 times, she will give up, while having nightmares about that song ringing in her head.

How about posting your bosses number on Yahoo! Answers, and people from all over the world can call HER and bug her! LOL~

Alik411
no she is not allowed to contact you at home if you are off work sick, if she continues to do this she can be disciplined speak to your Personnel department if this continues

The Alchemist
Rating
Ringing people at home when they are off sick with anything is ILLEAGLE. You can report this person to your Union Official or to the Human Resources dept. I suggest you do this immediately.

Mystic Magic
Hello hun,
I work in the care industry. I know that if your off sick WITH a doctors note then your boss shouldnt be contacting you. Only time she should ring you is when your note runs out and to see if your returning yet or not. Also my best mates sister works in the legal sector of work related issues. Contact one of the following, they will be able to advice you on what you can do about this:-

Employment Law Advice Centre LTD

Legal Workplace Unit

ACAS Helpline

mark
No, if you're signed off as sick then she shouldn't be calling you at all. Ask her to stop and if she doesn't stop you should resign and then sue for contstructive dismissal.

PAUL C
no she isnt allowed to do that

moza
this is well out of order she needs to back off don't answer your phone anymore when it stops ringing phone 1471 if it's some one you wish to talk to then phone them back but don't give in to her if she can't cope without you then she has a problem tell her to bugga off and go out and enjoy yourself pick yourself up you can do it

Memphis Kitten
Rating
I don't believe she should be contacting you especially if you have provided her w/ a doctor's note. Maybe you should have your doc call her and explain that she needs to stop contacting you. Also, can you look for another job that is less stressful? That helped me when I had a boss that was down my throat all the time and I was much more relaxed after quitting. Good luck!

For_The_benefit_of_Mr_Kite
no, she is not allowed to do this, she is breaking the law, if she carries on tell her that you will send her to court and face criminal charges of harrasment.

OriginalBubble
No in no way is she allowed to harrass you like this.
She is allowed to contact you to see how you are, and to see if you are coming back when your sick note runs out but that is about it.
I work in the legal field, and if one of our employees is off sick, we dont even call them to get that information. We write to them so that way we cant be accussed of harrassment.

colonel
Rating
no that's harrassment. she can't do that not if you have provided her with the doctors certificate and explained your absence.

Emma L
In the UK, No is the answer. You are off sick, with a legitimate cover note. Its against the law and the dept of employment looks at this as a very serious matter if, especially if work was the main reason for the stress to start. I suggest you advise you employer through your husband if you don't wish to do it yourself, that you no longer wish to be contacted until you are back at work.

curmudgeon
Do not wait for another incident. Call your Personnel dept. right now.

frenziedmonkey
She absolutely cannot do this, it's worsening your condition.

If you've been certificated by a doctor and you've reported in sick according to your company's policy that's the end of it until your certificate runs out and you're due to return.

If you have a Union, join it now.

If not contact your Personnel department or Head Office and explain the situation - they need to be aware that if she doesn't back off you'll lodge a grievance against her for harrassment.

I'd also recommend telling your doctor so it gets put in your notes just in case you need evidence in the future.

I had a boss like this once when I was too young and inexperienced to know what to do so your situation makes me furious.

Your boss is a control freak who is using the little power she has to make herself feel better and look bigger; in reality it makes her look pathetic.

Your husband needs to stand up to her if you don't feel able to. I'm a bit bemused that he's ok with this.

Failing that, email me her phone number, I'll put her straight!

Take care love
x

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.134
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy