Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Optical
Health Discussion Forum

What is this annoying thing i'm seeing?
Just a couple months, I noticed that sometimes i can see lil thing floating around in my vision. It's very tiny looks like lint but it's not. I'm on the computer a lot so I don't ...

Should I wear my contacts on a airplane??
The flight is 2 hours and 30 min. I know airplanes are dry. I will be flying Jet Blue so does the type of airplane effect the dryness of the air????...

I can't stop blinking my eyes.?
lately, for the past two days, i have been blinking soooo much. Like twice every second. Literally. It feels my eyes are cold, and there is constant blowing. Like its the feeling when you stick your ...

What's This Thing In My Eye?
I get this on and off, just these clear little gelly like things that float through my eye. They don't hurt or anything, I just can't see through them. They move too, I can get them out ...

Favourite Eye Colour?
Whats ur fave eye colour my eyes are a dark hazel green & i luv Bright blue eyes

So whats ur fave eye colour?...

Why is there more than one type of colour for eyes?

I see streaks of white light in my left eye?
kk wel this is like the 6 time happening in 1 year. i was at school (im 13) and all of the sudden i see little white moving lights in my left eye (its like a sawrm of insects) but it goes away in ...

Can i get lasik eye surgery if im 12 about 2 b 13?
i will b 13 on september 5th....

Glasses vs contacts?
I have astigmatism and slight nearsightdness. I have both glasses and contacts, but was wondering why I see better through my glasses. With my contacts, it sometimes is blurry especially up close, ...

Do you wear glasses?

Glasses or contacs?
which is more expensive: prescription glasses or ...

Putting contacts in my eyes?
just tried contacts and the opticians was quite impatient making comments about how i was the third person in his 10yr career who couldn't do it straightaway, obviously this made me feel worse,i ...

I want galsses but my eyes are fine. What should I get perscuption for?
My eyes are fine, I just look good in glasses. I want to were them. I need to know what to ask for. Like the linse. I want ones that dont really make a diferance.

sorry for the mis ...

My dad has been having really bad eye redness in both eyes and they are both very puffy?
he hasnt been to the doctors yet, what could this be?...

What am I seeing?
When I blink, alot of the time I will se black dots and sometimes I see these like, see-through wormlike things, They look like worms and some are ssquiggly and have light lines in them. What in the ...

What color are my eyes? i'm so confused.?
http://i30.photobucket.c
on the right :]

http://i30.photobucket.c

Why does my eye sometimes have a twitch?

Why does my right eye look slightly smaller than the other??

I've got a bubble under my eye, what the heck is it?!?
It's like a little sac just sitting there on the skin directly under my left eye. Does anybody know what it could be? I always rub my eyes so maybe that has something to do with it....

My 15 year ol daughter has been told she needs glasses to wear full time. Any tips to help her with this?

ram
Does wearing eye glasses all the time increases grades?
im 17 years of age and im an ear sighted person my grades are 500 each and im wonderig if wearing eyeglasses all the time increases my grades?

Shopaholic Chick
wearing them all the time when you need them prevents severe irreversible damage to your eyes - i did not wear mine when i was in HS - now i am regretting it every day!!!

little miss me!=)
Rating
no!!!!
you need to stu-udy to get smart! put glass on you doesn't make you smarter, but it can make you LOOK smarter

Grajo
Rating
Haha... if you can't see the board then YES it will increase your grades... if you can read and take notes that is best... as for all around? no... it hasn't seemed to increase my grades one bit... I don't feel more intelligent or anything... I can just read the board...

Rating
uhh... no

Lauryl
Rating
No, of course not!!!! Why would a simple item to improve eyesight make you any smarter???!!!!

Kirby
Rating
What? The only reason you would wear glasses would be to help your sight if it's bad. If you have bad eyesight, then it could affect your grades, especially if you can't read your paper or the chalkboard. Glasses aren't some magial lucky charm you wear when your too lazy to put some effort into raising your grades.

chanel5
no
wtf

Jose F
Not really. it really depends on how smart you are.

fashionista
If you have 20-20 vision, it wouldn't help. Eyeglasses....grades... there's really no correlation.

House MD
Your high. YOur grades are not 500. Go watch Half-baked instead of sitting on the pc high

Booger
No, wearing glassses helps you to see better. Learning your subject matter and answering test questions correctly increases your grades.

mona m
Rating
actually no..
wearing ur eye glasses will protect ur eyes from progressive degrees..

A.J J
Hell no the only one who can improve you is you

ArachnidDemon
I used to wear glasses all the time before I got contacts a year ago. I really don't think that has anything to do with it.

the phrase that pays
eye glasses worked for me

isolatedeternity
Rating
Um NO. They just help your eyes. Don't see how they could increase your grades. But your brain increases your grades.

djbnzdobsd
Rating
lol no.

Jennifer
Rating
I think that you mean something other than the answers you are getting here....Can I take a stab at this?

You are 17 and nearsighted with a prescription of -5.00 in each eye?? And you are wondering if wearing glasses all the time will make your eyes worse?

Based on the above question: No, your eyeglasses, at the right prescription for your eyes, will not cause them to get worse. You may notice some fluctuation in your vision, and some more change over time until you reach your full growth, but those changes will not be a result of wearing your glasses full time. At -5.00, you probably do not see very well without your glasses, so wear them...as long as you need to...full time..and definitely while driving and in class when you need to see the front of the room clearly.

nikki_14
Rating
no, its just that you are smart.

figgypower
Rating
I assume you meant to say "near sighted", in which case wearing glasses absolutely will improve your glasses. Why? Simply because you can see more clearly. You're missing lots of information, even if you can fill in the blanks pretty well.

If you're not near sighted, the effect is probably very little. It may even hurt your grades by distorting previously available information. I'm not sure what you mean by "my grades are 500 each" -- is that a reference to the SATs?

I've read some research that those who are in nerdy situations tend to fall in line with their stereotypical nerdiness. Meaning, psychologically, you're tricking yourself into thinking you're smarter and in the process you actually become smarter. How strong or subtle the effect is, is still up for debate.

Also keep in mind that such research is preliminary, so you can't draw solid conclusions from it. What I can say is that: yeah, it probably helps your grades, but not significantly.

Refer to the source on one research article that explains how near-sightedness and/or allergies (or other respiratory illnesses) and intelligence are co-related.

kit
Rating
If you want to improve your grades, study. Wearing glasses is just to help you with vision.

Officer
you might be able to draw a correlation between frequency of glasses wearing and doing well in school. if you can see what you need to read obviously that would have something to do with it.

Paul MB
Rating
Your glasses are made to assist you in focusing your eyes. By grades it seems you mean the number assigned to the lenses that you wear. That those numbers for you are 5's.
Probably you wear -5.00 or thereabout.

As your eyes are focused at some distance in front or behind you, the glasses you wear refocus your eyes to optical infinity, way in front of you. Actually that's about 20 feet or so.

The power of the lens in your own eye is so powerful, that you are focused at 1/5 of a meter in front of you.

Most people are focused at that infinity, the 20 foot thing. The power is in DIOPTERS which is the number you've indicated as your grade, and is equal to one over the distance in meters.

A person who is already focused at one meter in front of them, is nearsighted one meter would be a +1.00. He'd need a -1.00 to 'normalize' his focus to infinity.

If he were focused at a half meter in front of him (her), that would mean the eyes were a +2.00.

So he'd wear a -2.00 lens to move that focal point out to infinity.

If focused at a third of a meter, would wear a -3.00 lens.

A fourth of a meter -4.00

a Fifth of a meter, like you, a -5.00. and so on.

This makes is easy for you to read up close as you are already focused there. Normal people have to work, to bend the lens in their eyes to do that work. They get tired earlier than you would. Many many scientists, computer brain people, lawyers, doctors..those types are nearsighted. Reading is easy.

Farsighted people , not normal ones, have weaker eyes and have to work to see normal distances. And they have a lot more problems maintaining concentration, they get sleepy while reading long periods.

If you don't wear your Rx, you don't SEE. Doesn't hurt you NOT to see, you just can't see well. It doesn't make your eyes weaker by wearing glasses or wearing a correction. It helps the cameras focus and take clear pictures.

You want to drive? Have to be able to see. You want to fly a plane? have to be able to see.

You want to see the nice looking lady on the other side of the room, hall, mall?

Just wear the glasses and enjoy life's wonders.

♥♥Mrs SSG B♥♥
I'm guessing that by grades, you mean your prescription is 500 each...whether that is + or -, I don't know...

So if I'm reading this right, then the answer is NO. Wearing glasses doesn't make your eyes worse, nor does it make them better. Your eyes will change on their own schedule, with or without glasses. I don't know why it seems so many people are under the impression that wearing or not wearing glasses will affect how your eyes change. That is an urban legend - one that I didn't know existed, but apparently there are loads of people who actually think that wearing glasses makes their vision worse because when they take their glasses off, things seem blurrier...that is because when you have your glasses on, you are seeing clearly without straining and squinting, so when you take them off, things seem blurry by comparison. It is not because the glasses are making them worse. Refractive errors come from abnormalities in the shape of the eye (the eye either being too short, or too long) or having a cornea that is irregularly shaped. Glasses have no effect on the anatomy of the eye...all they do is bend the light to compensate for the shape of your eye.

I've answered this question a million times already...this makes a million and one.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy