Do prescription medicines help with physical symptoms of quitting smoking?

I've been smoking a pack a day for three years and believe it's time to quit. It's hard, but I can handle the psychological problems. I'm having trouble with the physical symptoms....

I've been smoking a pack a day for three years and believe it's time to quit. It's hard, but I can handle the psychological problems. I'm having trouble with the physical symptoms. If I go 12 hours with a cigarette, I start getting nauseous and it just keeps getting worse. Smoking relieves it, but only for a few hours. I want to get off nicotine ASAP, so I'd prefer not to use the patch or gum.

I've seen that there are a couple of prescription quit-smoking drugs, Chantix and Zyban. How effective are they? Will they help with the nausea?

Jan C
Rating
I understand they help, but are expensive. Have you tried Smoke Away. It works quite well.

java_kingpin
Rating
Chantix is an excellent way to quit smoking with few side effects. For more Chantix information, click the following link: http://www.121doc.co.uk/affiliate/scripts/t.php?a_aid=fbb92383&a_bid=&desturl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.121doc.com%2Fchampix.html

Brandi O
I know that the anti-depressant, Wellbutrin, is also prescribed to help you quit smoking. It actually makes you not want one and also helps with the psycolagical problems associated with quitting smoking. There is also a laser therapy that you can get for usually $100 or less that triggers a nerve in your earlobe to make you stop smoking. If your serious about quitting, talk to your doctor, it is definately possible!!

Patrick
Rating
"Chantix therapy has proven to be effective in smokers motivated to quit and will provide another tool for physicians to use for the millions of smokers who want to quit."

The effectiveness of Chantix in smoking cessation was demonstrated in six clinical trials, which included a total of 3659 chronic cigarette smokers who were treated with varenicline.

In two of the five placebo-controlled studies, Chantix- treated patients were also more successful in giving up smoking than patients treated with Zyban (bupropion).

http://www.quitsmokinghope.com/chantix/chantix.htm

baat2134
Rating
The patches work very well but you should use them for at least a month.I smoked three packs a day for about the last 15 years. Got copd so now Im smoke free for three months. I worst part is the thinking about wanting one but it only last bout two minutes and its over. Its not easy but the patches work fine but you still have to have a lot of will power. So maybe those medications would help.

mike.marlow
Rating
From everything I have read & seen the highest probability of quitting is using one of the drugs you mentioned - Either chantix, or Zyban (welbutrin) combined with some kind of nicotine replacement such as the patch or gum, and a smoking cessation support program.
Chantix is reatively new, but the intitial reports are very promising. I know several people who have used it successfully, including my sister-in-law, who smoked for over 25 years. You might want to go check out their website - www.chantix.com. Talk to your doc. The "cold-turkey" method works for some people, but not many. Good luck!