Can you have anxiety while working out?

I often have trouble breathing. I have/had sleep apnea but had surgery for it. I'm 5'4 and about 120 - 125 lbs, so I'm not overweght. I've taken tests for asthma several times (blo...

I often have trouble breathing. I have/had sleep apnea but had surgery for it. I'm 5'4 and about 120 - 125 lbs, so I'm not overweght. I've taken tests for asthma several times (blowing out the candles) and I don't have any issues.

Yet, I have trouble breathing on a daily basis. And it really really worsens with exercise. Could it be anxiety? Can you have anxiety while you're exercising? B/c supposedly exercise is good for anxiety & asthma.... so why would I have so much trouble with it if it's supposed to help??

Rachel R
Rating
I began having that same issue after I had a miscarriage. Something snapped in my mind that began giving me panic attacks for the first time in my life. It all began during exercising , running to be exact.
I thought i was dying because i was a little winded (out of breath) and went for an ekg, catscan, and other breathing tests, all to find out everything was normal.
I then began a medicine called zoloft and it has helped it tremendously. It helps with anxiety and panic disorders.
--- It shoudl be noted that depending on your age you may want other medical tests done to make certain that is is simply a panicing problem.

alex l
that is possible . it is also possible to have exersize induced asthma . so you should again speak with the doctor.
as well there are far more advanced tests for asthma then blowing out candles.

Doodlestuff
Were you tested for exercise induced asthma? Track star Jackie Joyner-Kersey has that although I believe it has progressed beyond exercise only.

I would see a pulmonary expert for further testing. Anxiety attacks don't cause you to have trouble breathing all the time as you describe.

Note: I had trouble breathing and developed an asthma like condition in one workplace. Not long afterwards, my group switched to another building and the problem went away. Eventually, they tore out the insides because other people had the same problem and mold was discovered.

so out of conyrol
i would suggest seeing your doctor first before starting any exercise program. especially with your asthma. even though it might be good for you to exercise only the doctor can tell you which program is best for you. im thinking that maybe when you exercise your not breathing normally like you should and you are hypervintalating. exercise is suppose to help anxiety not make it worse. so please check with your doctor im sure yuo will feel better once you see him. good luck

Only after an exam by a doctor can you really be sure.

TeriR
Rating
It could be anxiety or it could be something else. Only your doctor can answer this. Please don't take chances. See your doctor.