Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Would you consider this bulimia?
Since I was 13 I had off and on trowing up, I'd do it for 4-5 months, and I'd stop for a few and then do it for another 4-5 months (everyday 2-3 times a day) i got help for that because i ...

Is this a mental health problem, how to get help?
if a teenager tells lots of lies, very manipulative and convincing (not on drugs) has great highs and circling lows, creates horrific problems between people, doesnt keep friends for long, but tells ...

My 9 yr. old wants to kill me, stab me, what do I do? He says he hates me.?
What do I do? been to therapy, on meds, won't stop, screams in the house, takes a pen & wants to jab me w/ it, calls me names, we just got out of therapy & he says I am not going to ...

Why am I so emotional???? HELP ME PLEASE?
and no not because of my monthly deal.......why do I keep crying, why am I so emotional and up and down. I don't want to take prescription drugs, and my boyfriend says its almost like I am ...

Whats the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist?

Why do my parents ignore my pleas for help?
They must know that I self harm because it's really obvious, why do they ignore it?It only makes me do it again and again cos they keep ignoring me and I keep on telling them I'm down and ...

Is cutting your own hair when depressed considered a self-destructive act?

Additional Details
It actually doesn't look bad, but I hacked off about 6 inches. It's still below my shoulders though....

Does anyone really believe counselling helps get over depression?
I have just been diagnosed with depression and got medication and counselling, but i dont want to sit and talk with a total stranger of my problems. I dont even want to take the drugs really! does ...

Am I the only person who HATES it when people say no offence and proceed off to a rude comment?

todays comments:

My "friend": "No offence, but your family is weird..."

I was offended, and i tried to say something back but she didnt hear ...

Love and betrayel on yahoo amswers tell me what you think?
in may 2008 i met a guy on yahoo answers the category of course was in polls and surveys.then my father passed away may 22nd 2008 after my father passing away i still have grieved for him this guy ...

Whats your deepest fear ?
Be honest what is your worst fear, im not talking about those little things, im talking about the things that would hurt you for the rest of your life... what do you deeply fear?

i fear ...

Do you think im nuts?
im 22, self harmer of 6+years. I'd say for my age quite a heavy drinker! At the moment apart from the occasional pet sitting job im unemployed, i spend most of the 24 hours sleeping and when im ...

Why do people get cancer when they dont smoke?

Right now I feel crappy...What to do?
It is not for any particular reason, I just feel crappy. I know I am not always a nice person, I don't want to be this way but it just seems to happen. What can i do to cheer myself up? I was ...

Has anybody ever seen a Vampire?

Why do people give such mean answers?
Especially in the mental health section. Mental health is not a joke.
Additional Details
Well I read answers and questions about people offing themselves. I recently asked a question ...

What is the easiest way to remembering the things?
Day today things are forgetting often and unwanted things are in our memory with out forget. How to overcome this habit? is there any procedure to practice?...

If you could ahve a tattoo where would you have it?

How can a human stop thinking about death and suicide everyday?
How to avoid thinking that way, what to do,...

I'm so happy I need bringing down, can you depress me otherwise I'll burst?
I can't even talk about it because it will make me even happier.
Additional Details
Thank you everyone.
P...

pullthetrigger
Am i a freak, or does anyone else do this? Why do i do this?
i often find that, when i'm on the verge of being very low, i will 'feed' my depression, for example by searching for questions on here to do with self harm or suicide, so that i then become very depressed. i withdraw myself further into my dark little world. why do i do this? does anyone else?
Additional Details
i'm already seeing therapists, doctors etc

blue rooster
go on a camping trip, preferably, overnight. Nature has a funny way of centering our attitude. achieving balance is key.

macleod221@btinternet.com
your not a freak do u self harm? have you tried suicide it's not worth it I've been there once you start people then think ur a freak. i know what a relief it is when u do, i still do, i know unless ur in that situation other people don't understand whats its like ur not alone don't think u r. u do well i do cause it's the only way i can cope it's away of releasing ur self

Jestin
I'm the same way. I'm on Effexor XR 150MG for Depression and Anxiety. also I take Valuim for panic and anxiety dissorder. I'm diagnosed with bipolar and it' is normal to be High and low like your talking about. You should seek medical attention if you feel like your gona hurt your self or someone else. :)
Hope you get better..
Jestin

Zaq Q
I’m a bit like you. I find that I attract whatever I think of. When I think positively I do positive things, vice versa with negative things.

hank_scorpio
Rating
You would definitely benefit from correct medication in conjunction with CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), get a good psychiatrist and/or counsellor

mary
i think it helps cry everything out..sad songs and movies stir up emotions that are just sitting underneath so it helps get everything all out. and if your searching for certain questions, maybe it helps you see you arent the only one.

you are the only one that does this believe me

Pill Popper
i don't do anything of the sort...i just sleep when depressed.
but its whatever flots your boat

gerrifriend
I don't think you are that unusual. I hope that's some consolation to you.

rockrollradio
Rating
your not a freak.

MWD (WAR EAGLE!)[Gmen]
idk exactly know what u mean when i'm depress i view other questions to see how i can relax i play my ps3 too relax.

kittykat
Rating
maybe it helps you feel that you are not alone. But, if it is making you fell worse then do not put yourself through that. If you read these questions so you can help them then it is helping you. However, if it is bringing you down further then there is no good in this.
Do not gravitate to what makes you feel even worse. Your not a freak at all. You are aware of what your doing to yourself so that now you can change.

Mr-K-
I think sometimes people search for things that reflect their mood, for example depressing music to vent and show how you feel. I've done it many times, the problem is like you have said makes you more low and really sh***y. The answer is to turn it on it's self, so do the opposite. Get around uplifting such and put on music and things that really lifts your spirits, you will feel sooo much better. Give it ago.

Tom
when i'm depressed i listen to sad music. This does not help. If I only listened to happy music then I would feel much better. It's just a case of forcing yourself to do something sociable or fun rather than sit at home and feel awful whilst listening to Everybody Hurts by REM.

Nog
Rating
It's pretty normal. If you are happy, the positive feelings feed into you attracting more and more. If you are depressed, same happens other way round.

I had depression a few years back. Not pleasant at all. I did exactly what you are describing. I think it's just a part of the human pyschology. Go to docs for your depression, see a counsellor, notice the small things in life, write them down and say thankyou for them.

Best of luck to you.

T
Rating
ya thts wat i do to..... but i try to help other ppl not be like me to! plus if im here i wnt be hurting myself... so no ur not alone!

Free Your Mind
Rating
Maybe you're really just looking for a solution, and the fact that you aren't seeing or recognizing any is what is causing you to draw further into your depression. Talk it out with someone.

Rach
Rating
do you know what helps when i feel depressed? CHOCOLATE. I'm not even joking. On really bad days i have up to 6 pieces of chocolate (hehe). It really works.

Withoutaclue
Rating
In a way its really good that you know whats happening to you and that you can explain it because alot of people cant. I sort of do what you do only i look for information so i can tell myself that i can get over it, self help sort of sites, mental health chatrooms that kind of thing. I take meds but they dont always keep me stable.

You cant really help how your mind works in my opinion. I am always told that my highs and lows are chemicals gone wrong. Hope you feel better tho hun. xxxxxxxxxx

I like towels
Rating
what?!.... i thought this was normal?!.... ok.. so theres ANOTHER thing wrong with me!
but i do it too... like when im depressed.. i sit and listen to sad music... and i also search for things on depression and suicide.. and i dont normally do that when im happy.

im sure it cant be that bad... we seem to still be alive
=)

steel9maiden
Your parents won't let you have meds.... Well your parents are silly, because meds can often save people.
I would be on a very long set of mental health act sections if I wasn't on meds at the moment.
You need to stop looking at these things, you need to get off the internet, and talk to real people who are willing to listen.
Have you considered trying to make a GP appointment about this, or are you parents extremely controlling?
I have a controlling mother, and it is horrible. I'm glad to be going to uni later this year. Good riddance of "family".

stop it
Rating
time to see a counselor

thewaytogoforfun
no it doesn't make you a freak. It sounds like your just looking for people to identify with. you should get help so you can deal with your depression and become a happy person.

nita270640
hello pull the trigger,its Anita your in my contacts, when you look on answers, when your low you are looking for the wrong information. you need information on how to lift yourself, not stuff to make yourself feel worse.you are a young woman with so health issues ,maybe your parents are not doing the right thing by keeping you off medication.you are already seeing a doctor but sometimes we need medication to help the depression.ebb away,its so difficult for people who haven't suffered depression to know just how low we really do get, my husband thinks i don't need medication. but believe me i do. what causes these low points is a drop in serotonin that the brain produces. and medication can stimulate the feel good factor, that serotonin gives us naturally..talk to your doctor about this on your next visit... your a bright and funny girl when you aren't on a low i know this because you ask some really good questions.have you got a diary that you can write in everyday so you can monitor your thoughts and feeling and next time you visit your doctor you can show it to him/her but remember look to the fun things you can do.. and please stay away from the negative responses that some people give best wishes Anita

XD
Rating
Yeh...I know what you mean...I do it too..
I dont know why... but I guess when you get that low... like really low... you hate yourself and the world so much that you want yourself to be more depressed because you dont want to live and well you think you deserve to feel like that because you did something wrong...
well atleast thats how I feel... I duno if thats the same for you... its kinda messed up though I guess.... =/

Hope things get better for you soon =]

laura l
No, you are not a freak and please never think that. I am just the same and do this too. i suffer from depression and I'm taking citalopram. I am also seeing a therapist weekly but coming on answers is great therapy for me as I like to try and help people like myself. See it as a positive thing sweetie. Seeing people on here with problems like self harm and depression is actually helpful to see that you are not alone in this horrible dark world. Talk to your parents openly about how you feel and maybe a short course of medication in the short term would be of help? Good luck sweetie xxx

charleigh
As someone in a similar situation i think it's due to the fact we want answers for ourself maybe?...
I often do pretty much the same thing as you...or i randomly research websites about it on the net...Ive never really sat and thought about why i do it but thinking about it maybe its my way of knowing im not alone...maybe its your way too...subconsciously?...who knows!
As someone who suffers from depression i find i "feed" my depression and im pretty sure that most people do...i think its like when you have a spot...it hurts when you touch it...but we poke and prod it anyways right?...
Life is confusing...and its not likely something any of us will work out...why we do things is often irrelevent compared to the impact the things have on us!...if by "feeding" your depression its your way of feeling "better" then thats your choice...Im not saying to make yourself depressed but the way i see it is when your low your low...whatever you do it wont budge until the time passes...its like rain...when its gotta rain...it rains...nothing we can do about it...
Im currently on meds and still have very low days so dont let anyone tell you they will make you better...they just mask what is going on in your head...which im sure most people who suffer from depression are pro's as doing anyway!...survival tactics!!...
I hope this helps...if my question doesnt supply you with any knowledge atleast you know your not alone in the way your doing things!...
Next time you feel low throw me an email!... :)
Might make you feel better...if you'd rather not then thats okay...just a thought...i understand what its like to sit staring at your computer screen hoping something will jump out and rescue you!...
Take care and stay strong!
Theres hope and happiness out there!!
Xox...

Megan D
Rating
Misery loves company, but that kind of lifestyle is self-destructive. It's extraordinary that you're aware of this kind of habit, though, good for you! If you aren't already, you might want to consider professional help or a lifestyle change to reduce/eliminate the source(s) of your depression.

Try to avoid this "feeding" of yours, if you can help it. Admitting it is the first step to overcoming it, and you definitely seem to be on your way.

Tara ツ
Omg.
I am SOOO glad someone does the same!
My friends all laugh at me and think I'm some sort of weird psychopath.

†3N0UGH IS 3N0UGH†
Its ok your normal...unless I'm not normal.
When I'm depressed I listen to the saddest songs...and often my family and friends accuse me of going emo. But it actually cheers me up in some strange way!

Tough times don't last, but tough people do. Believe me, its never as bad as you think it is.

annmarie
Rating
Maybe you do this because this is your comfort zone, its what you've got used to, depression can be like that unfortunately...

jac the hat
Rating
I think that it is 'normal' for depression - It is hard being stuck in a mid way place - Bring it on ! seems liek a good idea at the tiem - there is a point in clockwise when John cleese dressed in amonk's habit and lying in a ditch with a fourteen year old girl says' "Despair I can cope with - its the hope I cannot take!"

us humans crave certainty and control being in a midway state is difficult and if we don't have the wherewithal to get up - down is better.Also in all the flux of what is happening to us some measure of control is neccessary.

Remember that everything that you are going through is
standing oyu in good stead for the future. We have ot learn about ourselves map our dark places and you are already doign this well by asking and being honest with yourself.
So no not a freak - goign thourhg a very hard tiem and doing the best oyu can - It does help each tiem we go through these dark place we learn a bit more about how to come through easier.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy