Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diet & Fitness
Health Discussion Forum

Hi im a 19 yr old male 6'4 and I want to gain 45 pounds.what foods should I eat?
I only weigh 164...

Why are all of those people in magazines and on t.v. so thin?
Not only thin people exist in our world today...we need real people to show little teenage girls how to act because they are our romodels. Those girls are a little too skinny and thats a big impact ...

I'm 5'2" and weigh about 135 lbs...?
I kind of feel overweight but most of it is muscle or in places where I know I won't be able to get rid of it... like the insides of my thighs and my butt... am I fat... or any suggestions as to ...

12, 4ft11 , and 100 lbs Do i need to lose weight?
I just want to know if I need to lose anymore weight. I use to be 123, but I lost the 23lbs, but do I need to lose, 'cause people still call me fat!!!!!...

How do i get taller?
I just turned 15 and only 5'8". i wanna grow like 2 more inches. what can i do or any ideas?? (my mom is 5'6" my dad is 6'2")
Additional Details

I have anorexia...?
i know that but no matter what i cant stop.ive had to quit school,
and home school,im 15 and im going back this coming year,i only weigh 89 pounds,i want to lose a few more but if you were my ...

How can i make my legs bigger?
I have skinny legs, and i am wearing a skirt to a party! How can i make them bigger (more muscular,& wider) in 1 week????...

Am i overwieght? im 5'7 and i way 103 pounds .....i feel like a fatte am i??
im 5'7 and i way 103 pounds .....i feel like a fatte am i??...

Should we exercise with an empty stomach or with a full stomach?
I'm 5'8 and 270 lbs..
I want to start running tomorrow morning.
I didn't know if I should eat cereal or something before hand.. Or just wait till I get home.
Your ...

Is it bad to make your kids eat when their not hungry?

Is 137 pounds for a 14 year old girl with height 5''7' normal or is it overwweight?

Yeah yeah yeah blah blah blah just tell me answers don't say I shouldn't you'd be wasting your time!
Ok so I am planing on being anorexic yeah I know "It will cause permanent damage to your body I shouldn't do that!!" I just want a yes or no answer there is nothing wrong with my mind ...

Am i fat???
ok im 13 5'1 and weight like 103-108 (huge difference depends alot like wat time i weigiht myself like if i weight right after i eat) umm i have huge lovehandles(so annoying) and a im a b ...

Am I fat???
Yesterday I heard some girls talking and they are like whispering "she is so fat" when I walked by. I don't know if they were talking about me or it was just coincidence that I was ...

What can i eat after 9:00 pm?
Im starving right now; and i KNOW its not good to eat around or after like 9PM?

So its like 2:33 AM, and im so so hungry .. is there something i can eat that wont effect me too much while ...

Have you ever been on a diet?
what did you do?

how much did you lose and in what time?...

Am I Underweight? I'm 14 and I weigh 73 Lbs?
Okay. I'm firstly MALE, and I am 5 Foot 1 Inches in Height. I do eat regulary and I even eat too much sugary prodcuts at times but yet people are saying I am to skinny for a Male? I'm ...

How much water is good for the average person to drink a day?
I hear 8 glasses, but how big is a glass? 1 cup? And is that an old wives tale so to speak?...

How do you stop yourself from eating?

.Anyone know how to put on weight ?
I dont do very much right now at present time . I eat probally more than a lot of people I know . Any ideas. Im 190 pounds and 6 foot four lookin for another 30 pounds cant seem to get there
A...

asan1892
What are the chances of me getting my fathers genes?
this is a question about my metabolism. anyway my my mom has a super fast metabolism and my dad has an alright metabolism he could gain weight and still lose weight. anyways im a 16-year old male and i think i have my moms metabolism because i eat anything i want and still stay skinny and not gain weight. well someone told me that my genes could change into my fathers and therefore my metabolism will slow drastically to match his? is this true can this actually happen? or am i just gonna keep my moms metabolism for the rest of my life and over time it will just decrease little by little but not drastically. i will give 10 points

Verusanct
id also add that metabolism changes over time depending on how you live.

Robert S
Your chances for genes are 50% from either parent.
But metabolism may not be gene-based or fixed for life.

Judge Sludge says:
Rating
you already have 50 % of your fathers genes, what you are experiencing now is the wonders of youth. Wait till you get older, trust me your metabolism will slow down and you will put on weight if you do not maintain and good exercise regimen... You are so active now that you burn everything you consume...but this changes..beleive me, I too was once skinny as a rail and ate anything I wanted without worry...
That has changed...now if I sniff a donut, I gain weight....Peace

George L
50 percent

Trina
I don't think it's possible to magically "change" genes. Of course you could slow your own metabolism down by fasting for a long amount of time or frequently binging (neither of which I would recommend- not that you would want to slow your metabolism down anyway), but that wouldn't mean you suddenly had your father's genes instead of your mother's genes. Maybe your fast metabolism has nothing to do with your mother- you just eat right and at the right time with the right sorts of exercise... or you're just one of the lucky ones! :)

Jackson101
im afriad you already have them you are his genes lol

Marc V
Rating
I'm sure many people have said this the chances are 50/50, besides at 16, you will still grow for another 5 or 6 years you may have your fathers but your growth is still affecting your waste line.

Matthew A
Rating
As stated before, you metabolism will not change from one parent to another's. Be warned though, pretty much every teenager has a metabolism as fast as yours. When you grow older it will start to slow down.

diana f
Its a 50% chance like your mom and a 50% chance like your dad. There are hidden genes, that your mom or dad could carry, though, for any sort of metabolism trait, even very slow metaboism. Also, you will have to wait to find out. Young people have faster metabolism than their elders, and everyone's metabolism slows as they age (even your mom's), and the slowing happens gradually. Fortunately, weight is not solely dependant on metabolism tendencies, a good diet and a little exercise is good for everyone, and, even if you don't need it now, it is best to start forming habits early. People who are athletes when they are young have lifelong good effects from working out.

JG G
Rating
Depends..Are you guys the same size?

Whiteraven90
Rating
Firstly, to find out....what is your birth order.......ie first born 2nd born, male/ female...then you will know where your genetics lie.

booboo
Rating
Metabolism changes with age. If your younger it should be okay as long as you stay active, its when you hit 30 you have to worry it changes! Usually for the downside of things! genes are 50/50, it could go either way genetically! You can eat and stay skinny, is likely because you are active. Stay involved in sports, etc. Don't become a couch potato!

anna*
50/50! That's it! no questions asked. Some of us are blessed, some are not, but blame our parents and their parents, etc! That genetics!

heart,anabella
there is a 50% percent chance because you get half the genes from your father and half from your mother. you cannot change genes because whatever genes you recieved are the ones you have. your metabolism might slow down ad you get older. but that is normal, just work out more.

time
50/50

chopsaw
Rating
I would say it's almost 100 percent true..........a lot will depend on you also.............just remember this old guy said so.......I've been both...............so we'll see if I learned anything.....you do the same...........good luck.........enjoy the all you can eat stage........wait till a salad is to much:) can't happen right.....hmmmmmmmm........want to bet..........bye

Mallah.
Rating
If you are sixteen and you have a high metabolism the chances are thin. You're a boy. Boy's generally have higher metabolisms then women anyways. It won't change. Chances are your metabolism will slow down if you begin eating less and less. So continue eating at the same rate.

Q
Rating
Almost every 16 year old guy has a super-fast metabolism and can eat anything and not gain weight. It's just a factor of this being your time to have a growth spurt. As for whose metabolism you have: there's no gene for metabolism--it's a complex mixture of many different elements, from genes to environment to situation in utero, and what you eat, etc. So you don't really "have your mother's metabolism" literally. You just have a fast metabolism. It will slow down with age, it always does. Exactly how much it will slow down, and what effect that will have on you, depends upon how much you exercise and what foods you eat. So it's entirely up to you.

Raman
Getting genes is 50/50. And no you can't get your mom's genes and then a couple years later get your dad's. If you want your metabolism to stay quick, then you should have fiber in your diet, it really helps increase your metabolism. Genetics is recessive or dominant, you either get your mom's side or your dad's, not both.

blooberree
Rating
well since your young or not like in you 20s yet.
your not gaining any weaight since your eating a lot
but if your like an exercise guy then thats why your not gaining weight because your exersizing all of the extra food or something off
and its probably 50/50
unless one of your parents genes are more dominant than the other
if your not excersizing and you eat a whole lot i would start because as you get older you start gaining more weight and become fat.

CANUCK
the answer is indefinite, but it is possible. if you start to gain weight, you are under your fathers jeans.

dasher
the chance of you getting your father's genes is 50%. The other 50% comes from your mother :) That is how you were born and how you will always stay. Dont believe people who tell you your genes can change !

You probably are not putting on much weight now because you are still quite young and i am guessing active. As we get a bit older, we tend to slow down , but sometimes our eating doesnt slow....and we gain weight. Plus metabolism just slows down more also as we age....

Josy
that is silly hun. you do not switch genes like that! probably the reason for your skinniness! is the fact that you're a teenager you need all that amount of food you're eating imagine! and may be you're active too. a couple of years later you're gonna get weight because you'll stop growing and not because your genes changed. ok?

shikamo
Rating
Half of your genes come from your dad and the other half comes from your mom. The older you get your metabolism will slow down. Keep active and watch the fat content and you'll be okay for weight.

Terry O
Rating
You need to be clear on one very particular fact: It is not possible for you to have your mother's or anybody else's metabolism; only your own. Metabolism changes greatly during a person's lifetime. It also changes depending on your physical activity, weight, and altitude at which you live or move to. There is little to predict it except that it will be a lot higher if you are physically active than if you are not. But how much higher or lower is totally individual, and of course will also have a lot to do with the foods that you typically consume.

Also, once you are conceived, your genes and DNA cannot change to different genes. Genes can degenerate into defective genes due to poor nutrition and the presence of free-radical producing pollutants. Cancer, for example, is due to defective genes that cause cells in tumors to attack the body instead of build the body, as they were supposed to do.

So while at your age you can eat most anything and still stay skinny, as you get older you will need to be judicious with your diet and exercise to maintain your health in this otherwise obese society that we have come to live in.

Jake B
Rating
your metabolism will slow dramatically when you hit your mid twenties the genes wont matter at that point

Maverick ®
Sorry kid, you already have your father's genes. The rate of digestive metabolism is high for you right now because you are young and constantly on the move. Your metabolism will eventually slow down as you age and you'll eventually gain weight. Can't say much about your mom's metabolism but she must be young in child bearing years to maintain the calorie burning rate. She too will eventually slow down. We all do.

meg_6484
Rating
Your genes don't chagne. You keep the ones you were born with. It may not even be that you have a fast metablism if you are active at all. I used to be able to eat anything I wanted and not gain weight, but I played sports in high school. Now that I'm not playing sports and not as active, I have to watch what I eat. The saying is true that it will catch up to you in the long run. If you do have a fast metabolism it probably will slow down over the years.

David O
The chances are 50/50 since you get half from your mom and half from your dad. Weight isn't just about metabolism, it is also about your relationship with food. Only time will tell.

Chubby Lamb
Rating
you are stuck with the genes you are born with for your life, they do not change. your genes can, however, be turned on and off by different environmental factors, like the food you eat.

a fast metabolism has something to do with genes, but also has a lot to do with your age, muscle mass and diet. at 16 you should just enjoy the fact that your body is a calorie-burning machine and not worry about what will happen in the future. the best thing you can do for your current, and future, self is to eat well and get plenty of exercise.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, March 23, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy