Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diet & Fitness
Health Discussion Forum

My BMI, am i over wieght?
I am about 5'1 , 32 D bra size, size 3 pants and 123 pounds..am i over weight?...

Why is it some people are skinny even without exercising? I even see them eat more than what I eat?
I am doing exercises and eat less but still overweight?...

Help Me loss 20 pounds?

Ok, I NEED HELP! Please! I want someone who know facts and who can help me.?
And I don't want any crap like "Your body goes into starvation mode and you get fat."

I'm 14 years old, 5'5", and weigh 130 lbs.

How can I lose ...

Hi, Im 14 years old and 5 foot 3 inches do you thing that is short for a 14 year old?

I weigh 100 pounds and need to lose 50 pounds by tomorrow! what can I do?

How many push ups a day would i have to do to add on 5 pounds of muscle to my arms in 1 month?
how many push ups would i have to do to add on 5 pounds to my arms in 1 month and how many crunches would i have to do to subtract 2 inches from my waist?...

I just realized I gained 239 pounds in a two year period. How did it sneak up on me??

I am 13 and i am 5foot 4 and i weigh 160. am i fat?
i just want to ...

Why do my friends always say that I am fat?
I weigh a 129 lbs and I am 5'3. I My measurements are 38'27'39.
My friends say that this large and always talk about how big I am. I am 18 yrs and I know I should not let this get ...

How do i motivate my gf to reduce weight?
my gf's put on a few (more than few actually) extra pounds, how do i motivate her to reduce weight without offending her?...

What are some good natural ways to stay awake in class without using drugs?
No drugs or caffeine....

I don't think I'm anorexic, But...?
I'm really self conscience with the way I look, And constantly I look in the mirror and can't stand how fat I look.
I feel like I have The biggest stomach, especially after I eat.

How can you lose weight WITHOUT exercise?

Does starving your self work?
ok i weigh 130 pounds and im 5'8 i want to weight 100 pounds is that unhealthy and how do i lose weight and im 12...

How does one effectively quit smoking?
i have tried twice and the first time i quit it lasted just about a month or os...then the second time around 3 days..i've been smoking for 3 years now and im only 19..turing 20 on july 26.....

Am I too skinny?
I am 5 ft 2in and i weigh 93 lbs. I am a very active person and I love eating fruit! I'm healthy and I also have muscle on me from dance but i know that i am thin. I am naturally thin but am I ...

When did you last walk over one mile?
I did yesterday....

What can i do to gain weight?

Will sit ups help me get a flat stomach?
every night i usually do about 5 sets of 100 sit ups. do you think this will help me lose weight or have a flat stomach?
Additional Details

KJ97Y100
Debate between me and my husband?
My husband and I are debating about many calories a person burns when exercising.

My stance:
A bigger person burns more calories doing the same exercises a thinner person does for the same amount of time.

His stance:
All people burn the same amount of calories no matter their size.

What do you think?
Additional Details
BTW, we were discussing an obese person, not a body builder.

Boo.
I think you're right. The more weight you have to lose, the easier it is to lose it. At least that's what I've found.

David S
A bigger person, burns the same amount of calories, it just feels like they are burning more calories due to the extra effort it takes to complete the same exercise.

curious and afraid
Size really does not matter, it is a person's metabolism (the rate at which a person burns calories) that matters. Metabolism varies from person to person, no matter what their size is. It seems that larger people burn calories at a faster rate,but this could be simply that they have more weight to lose, so it happens more rapidly. I do know that two people who are the same exact size can have very different metabolisms.

Fuzzy Wuzzy
Actually a heavy set person in the beginning before they lose all their weight will burn less calories someone who is thinner will burn more ..

It also depends on the work out a heavy set person can run 3 miles and a thin person would have to run 6 to equal out the same ..

D'archangel
Rating
You're both right, sort of. Heavier people tend to burn more calories, all other things being equal. However, muscle mass is also a factor. Take two 150-lb. people, one with 15% body fat and one with 25%. The one with lower body fat (and hence more muscle mass) burns more calories doing anything. That's because fat is a net storer of calories while muscle is a net consumer. Thus, more fat equals fewer calories burned. The real determiner is muscle mass, not overall mass.

x66red66x
Does it take more fuel to drive a bus a ten miles or a volkswagon beetle?

adoty1202
Rating
No, they do not burn the same amount of calories. If you ever notice in fitness magazines, or on the treadmill if they are telling you (for example) that swimming for 45 min will burn 600 calories* The asteric would say at the bottom of the page (based on a 145 lb person) The weight of the person does determine how many calories a person will burn!

FROM MATH/CALORIES and YOU

1. Students weigh on a scale and record the weight on the worksheet (HTML) / worksheet (PDF)
2. Access the site Calories Count!
3. Calculate how many calories they burn according to their body weight per minute and per hour for a number of physical activities.

That is the math to show the calorie burn factor for all different weights doing the same exercise for the same amount of time. Hope this Helps.

dontimaginetheyllallcometrue
A bigger person does burn more calories doing the same exercise because it's more exercise for them.

JW
Rating
i agree with you hope you guys learn the answer ask jeves he has the best answers good luck

duritzgirl4
You are 100% right.

In fact, a larger person expends more calories SLEEPING for the same amount of time as a smaller person

LOLALIN
a bigger person can burn more calories because they have more to lose. so yes tell your husband youre right!

Sunny
u r rite....a bigger person burns more cal than a thin person........

keif_1
Oh, This is TO EASY.......The WOMAN IS ALWAYS RIGHT.

Tara
Rating
You Win! He Loses

fruitfroggy
Hate to break it to your husband, but you've got it right.

Put it into this perspective: Body mass can be applied to the same thing as lifting heavy objects. A 100 box box requires a lot more energy to lift as opposed to a 10 pound box. However, the heavier person will eat more than the lighter because he or she must have the energy to upkeep the strength to maintain thier weight.

chickpea
Rating
Well, the bigger person would have more weight to run with, which would burn more calories, but I think it would depend on the exercise they were doing.

onlyget1shot
You've got him on this one. The reason is that the more weight someone has, the harder they have to work at the same exercise. The harder work balances out in more calories lost.

Ivar
Rating
Of course you are right.

Here's a rhetorical question for your hubby: Does a 7 ton Hummer burn the same amount of fuel to travel one mile as a 1 ton Honda, if they both travel at the same speed?

Sara
Rating
A person who is 200 pounds and a person who is 100 pounds may be doing the same activity but the larger person is doing it while carrying an extra 100 pounds, that would burn more energy.

LesHug
Your right, how do I know Weight Watchers that's how, good luck! Do the little victory dance to him, nanana boo boo! LOL

a heart so big
you're right.

IMHO
Rating
You are correct!

Douglas D
Rating
I agree with you.
Ask him if all cars & trucks burn the same amount of fuel to travel the same distance at the same speed, & why?
It's the same for people. Calories are the unit of measurement for the fuel we burn when we excersize. Larger people require more calories to move their heavier bodies than smaller people.

Earthy Angel
Rating
I dont know this for a fact, but I believe whoever has more muscle on their body burns more calories. Muscle is what helps burn it up- and yes it does matter what their size is, which is why when you are on an exercise machine, it asks for your weight.

Tell Hubby that he is wrong, and I said so! LOL

-EA

ferrari_83000
Rating
the bigger person has more resistance (weight) there for is burning more calories

Leslie G
Rating
You're right! Just look at the Biggest Loser. The heavier they are the faster the weight falls off. Husbands should learn us wives are always right lol.

Mabe
Rating
ur right. thats why if u use a treadmill or something it asks ur weight to help determine how many calories ur burning.

A.Mercer
Rating
Physics to the rescue.

It takes more energy to make an object with greater mass move. Plain and simple. If a person who weighs 250 walks 5 miles and another person who weighs 150 walks 5 miles, then the person who weighed more required more energy to make that distance.

Do a test, get some enough weights to make your husband 50 pounds heavier and have him do his normal workout. He will notice that it takes quite a bit more energy to do the work.

Now, that being said. This will not apply to all workouts. Stationary bicycle will have about the same amount of calories burned. Weight lifting will depend on the weight of the weights and not the weight of the lifter. What you need are exercises that move your body.

Adam T
Rating
The bigger person uses more energy.

raycatng
Rating
Bigger people burn more calories then smaller people do. That is why most exercise machines ask you for your weight so it can determine how many calories you have burned during your work out.

shanteromant
If all variables are equal (time and exercise) the person who weighs more will burn more calories. Use a activity calculator and enter two different weights with the activity and time the same and you will clearly see that the heavier person burns more calories. This is because their body has to exert more energy to perform the same task.

Try the calculator: http://caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Terms of use - Privacy Policy