Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

Which Gum is best...?
In your opinion what is the best gum to chew...?...

What is a natural alternative to tooth paste?

How long will my braces hurt?
i am in so much pain and i havent even eaten since monday!...

If I have a dream about all my teeth falling out; what does it mean?
Will your answer change if there was blood coming from any other orifice?...

How do you skip and chew gum at the same time?

Please help..very very bad toothache?
i have had toothache since saturday so i rang the dentist yesterday,but they couldnt fit me in til today.so ive been taking painkillers,clove oil on it.nothing has even eased the pain.so i went to ...

Baby teeth is it normal at 16?
Hey all my molars and a few other teeth are still baby teeth? is this normal? I was told by the dentist that i wud have them all pulled out....but keeps telling me this..and that i shud have braces ...

Dentist! are they called doctors??
do a dentist have Dr. in from of their names
just curious because i never noticed it
Additional Details
i am aware that they are ...

What color Braces bands should I get?
I am Getting my braces on tomorrow and I was wondering If anyone had any suggestions I was kinda thinkin Blue N Pink!
Any Suggestions I will greatly appreciate! ...

Ways to get rid of bad breath (not the obvious ones)?

Is there anyone else out there petrified of the dentist??
i have to admit, i never used to look after my teeth and always refused to go to the dentist! i regret it now coz my teeth are now ******! i am in a waitin list now for a hospital to have my bad ...

I had a weird experience at a dentist office and am not sure what to do regarding this situation.?
the dental assistant was completely unprofessional, but not at all rude to me. she started slamming and banging the mouse button keys on the laptop when it wasn't doing what she wanted. Being ...

About how long will this take to get braces off if i have teeth like this:(pic.)?
here is a pic
ttp://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq16...
Additional Details
http://i443.photobucket....

Is it bad to smoke while your wearing tooth whitener strips?

POLL: How many times per day do you brush your teeth?
I do 3-4 ...

How much time do you brush your teeth everyday?

Do you brush your teeth everyday?
common be honest. what make you skip brushing your teeth the day you didn't....

Which is worse chewing or smoking?

Wisdom Teeth?
The dentist wants to pull out my wisdom teeth. Is this a wise thing to do? What's gonna happen if I leave 'em in, anyway? Any advice?! Past experiences??? Thanks :)...

What is the most annoying part of having braces?
I have braces for 2 months now and what annoys me the most is drooling all over my pillow at night. What's annoying you?...

Gemma
Omg braces!!!!?
I will be getting braces soon and im totally affraid. I mean yea i want them because my teeth are a mess but i hate pain. I just hate pain. Can someone tell me the process of getting braces and also does the wire actually go INSIDE your gum or is the wire and brackets just glued to your teeth??? Thanks =[
Additional Details
oh, and by the way i might need teeth pulled out so will the put me in a DEEP DEEP Sleep. please hopefully they do?

Fender
Rating
I had braces and the wire broke loose and went into my gums but I didn't feel it at all it was there for 2 weeks. But honestly you'll be fine it does hurt a bit but you'll be fine.

bob
its glued really hard but ya it does hurt and you will feel like the only thing your gonna be able to eat is jello and drink stuff for the rest of your life but it goes away after a few days a week at the most

♥OMG♥
Rating
omg they have a new omg t.shirt for you avatar check it out on my profile and be glad your parents love you enough to have your teeth taken care of you will be fine sweetheart

shhhhh
if u rrly are that scared, there are things called invisiline.
they are clear plastic molds of your teeth that slip over your teeth, and they're supposed to straighten them, tho it takes longer and usually only straighten 85% of your teeth

Steve
Rating
You'll be ok my dear. Think of the final outcome.

♥♥vanessasღღbigestღღfan♥♥
Rating
same thing as me i have to get braces to i heard it hearts very much but i am so exited

Scream!!!
Woah. . .who told you that horror that the wire goes in your gum. . .don't worry, everything is painless and all glued to your teeth so they can remove it easily. . .shyah, you'll feel weird for awhile with the braces on though, but you'll get used to it

Kristina
Rating
well, those braces are only wrapped around your teeth. at first, your mouth will look bigger that the normal it should be, but it will go back to its own.

Vlad
Rating
i have one correction to what almost everybody above me said. they dont glue it they use some sort of a cement(not the one you see outside, and to get the braces out they use a drill, but it wont hurt because they dont drill your teeth they drill at the cement, so thats not gonna hurt, and even if your worried, you can ask for anesthesia, or laughing gas. other than that everyone else said it right.

(EDIT): the person below me is wrong, dont listen to him

Trinidy
Rating
Just to your teeth how mean do you think dentist are?

BK-201
Rating
Not really they only hurt for a little when you tighten them. They just go outside your teeth like you said they are glued. But when you take'em off its like white squares on your teeth where the braces were. lol. But if you had spacers before braces then when getting braces won't hurt really because spacers were a pain more than anything. And the best way to take food out is with a plastic toothpick. I'm serious they are easier and more durable and takes everything food related out or etc.

Just this Guy
Rating
I had braces before, and trust me, it's not as bad as you think. The wire does NOT go through your gums, and braces hurt only the first couple of days, and then only hurt for a day or so each time they get tightened. Hardest part for me was avoiding sticky foods for 2 years. Just take some Advil whenever they hurt and you should be okay.

♥the sweetness♥
will the bracket is glued to ur teeth and the wire is hooked to the bracket
don't worry they don't hurt after the 1st couple days

Miki
Oh, the brace is glued to your teeth and thenthe wire passes in the brace. It doesn´t go inside your gum so don´t worry. It is not sooooo painful. Only the first days when they tighten the braces about once a month. You really must be careful about brushing and no hard candy/gum. It´s not so bad....I had them for three years.

southamptonkitty
Rating
wire goes through the bracket, not your teeth. ask you dentist about invisilign.

make sure you take some antiinflamitories before your appt each time. it will help

Denixis
Rating
Congratulations! Ok, bonds around your teeth mostly are on the back ones. braces outside and are glued. And you get them wired to the bonds. the dont hurt its not that kind of a real big deal pain maybe the first week of every monthly appontment will be hurting and wont be able to bite hard things just soft foods. Also be sure u know where u getting treatment i went to Western Dental and bad bad bad experience, they dont know what they are doing. +plus besides they didnt want to finish treament they are no capable and well experienced! Wish u the best!

Heather
Rating
It's not that bad. They glue the brackets to your teeth and then thread the wire through the brackets. It's completely painless. Your jaw will be kinda sore for a while because your teeth will start moving and every time you get them tightened you'll be sore for a day or two. And sometimes the wire can move a little and poke the inside of your mouth but they'll give you wax to cover it. Braces are really no big deal and you'll be used to them after a few weeks.

LavenderLover
Rating
i felt ur anxious pain. i got my braces in nov. 06 (only have to wear them for a year *yay!!!*) and no it doesn't hurt getting put on (im talkin about the standard ones) and to me it only hurt the first 2 days i got it. and when i say hurt, i mean achy pain.
i dunno if this will apply to u cuz i only got the top row on---i guess---double the achy pain then?

sherry
They are just glued to your teeth! They don't really hurt, they are just unconfortable for a few days after they tighten them. You could get the invisaline, I am not sure if they are as good as the regular ones but my brother is getting that kind and it is supposed to work A LOT faster then regular braces. After you get them taken off, DO NOT remove your retainer (if you have a removable one) no matter how much it hurts!!! A lady at the dentist lost her job because she told me to just take out the bottom one if it hurt and my bottom teeth went back to crooked!!! Good luck!!

A
lol---i have them rite now. they dont hurt until after the first 3 months---hehe just kidding. the first three days are terrible when you first get them on or tightened. expect to eat soup or liquids for 3 days. They are glued to the teeth not underneath the gum! who told u that? they take a mold of ur teeth then put glue on ur teeth and stick a bracket to the tooth. then they use ultraviolet rays to harden the glue (which is actually acrylic, its a chemical reaction, ultraviolet rays harden acrylic) and then they hurt for three days dont hurt for six months then hurt again for 3 more days when u get them tightened!

anna
Rating
nothing to be afraid of.
they put little square things on ure teeth and use a wire to straten them.
about the tooth pulling thing, they wont pul u asleep but trust me IT DOESNT HURT not even like a pinch you get when you get ure ears pierced-nothing at all
when i got my tooth pulled in the back, it made wierd cracking noises but no pain at all

NIKKI H
no wire goes in ur gums. its not that bad.u will be more sore than pain.

fonzo
Rating
i can't get enouph of chicks with braces.. Mmm.. and when they're off i miss tehm but perfect chomps is nothing i need to get over

Je m'appelle Bee ♥
They don't hurt. At all. Well, maybe a little aching but not severe pain. You get used to it, so you don't really feel it. Well, that's if you get self-tightening braces.

Lora da Explora
Rating
yeah im gonna have to get em too ><!!! but no it doesnt touch your gums or anything, it goes on outside and its just basically a bunch of wires putting pressure on ur teeth 2 straighten em out

Mel
the brackets are cemented on your teeth and the wire is attached to the brackets....they will adjust the wire whenever you go and that's how they manipulate your teeth. it is uncomfortable...i won't lie, but it's worth every bit of it...everyone I know that has done is so happy....i had them as a kid, but most of my friends had them has adults and they all say it's the best money they ever spent

good luck cheesing up a storm

desigirl64
ew. anyways,.,.,..

the wires are simply wrapped around yer teeth, ( well depends what kind ur getting ) but thts the kind im getting in less than a year.

♥ Lala
It's nothing to be afraid about. First they will clean your teeth, and get them all dry. Then they will cement each bracket to your tooth. The wire does NOT go in your gum, it just wraps around your teeth. There is going to be a little pain, but it will all be worth it in the end. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poopy
Rating
The brackets are glued onto your teeth, and the wire goes in the brackets. No piercing of gums necessary.

It's actually pretty simple to get them on - basically, the ortho or his/her assistant cleans your teeth really well, then they glue on the brackets. Depending on what kind of adhesive is used, they might need to "cure" the glue with a UV light for a bit. None of this hurts at all.

Then, they stick the wire in. One of my daughters has the old-fashioned type of braces where they attach the wire to the bracket with tiny rubber bands, but my other daughter has a newer type of bracket where they use a special tool to "spring" the bracket open or "click" it shut around the wire - no rubber bands used at all.

Through all of this, all you should feel is some pushing and pulling as they try to get the rubber bands stretched around the bracket. You might want to take some ibuprofen or acetominophen (like Advil or Tylenol), just to be on the safe side, and your teeth or jaw might ache for a day or two afterwards, but nothing major. I, myself, have had braces twice, so I know of which I speak....

I think the worst part is getting the bands on the molars. These are not always used, but I had them and one of my daughters did, too. They slide a thin metal band around your back teeth and use what feels like a teeny, tiny hammer to mold the metal to your tooth. It sounds really loud inside your head, but it's really just a little "click." The bands on your back teeth are what hold the ends of the wires that are attached to the brackets on the rest of your teeth.

The banding process can make your mouth uncomfortable, as you have to open wide so they can work back there, plus you have the little hammering thing (the noise startled me every single time it clicked!) and then the bands themselves feel kind of like you've got a popcorn hull or something stuck between your teeth. But, you get used to it,and it's over very quickly.

Just tell yourself that whatever pain or discomfort you feel will all be worth it when you can flash that dazzling smile at the end of it all. Truthfully, I don't think anything I did while having braces (and I had some unusual stuff I had to do that was more than what most people have to endure!) was as uncomfortable as, say, sore muscles from stretching/playing too hard. And, nothing about an ortho visit was even as bad as getting a shot or giving blood. You'll be fine. Trust me.

Hope this helps.

Tara
Rating
calm down. i've had braces for two years now and it's not fun. but you get used to it. when you get braces on, they clean your teeth and glue on the brackets. the wire isn't going to be IN your gums. they jsut rub on the inside of your mouth and hurt. i'm not really sure about getting them off though because i haven't been there yet. to deal with the pain i would take a pain killer (advil, etc) BEFORE you go in and do the same when you go in to get them "adjusted". got anymore questions? e-mail me or visit a site i have www.freewebs.com/tarabear101

CluelessOne
Just glued to your teeth. I know my boys had to get them and they were SO excited - thought they would be cool!! After they were put on they couldn't eat anything to chewy, mostly soft stuff or soup. The first few check-ups, their mouths hurt a little, but each time gets better and they say they only hurt a little now when they get tightened.

Don't be scured!! Ü

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy