Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

Breath problems!?
i have bad breath and need help getting rid of it. i brush my teeth every morning floss and and listerine and at night i use act. i brush my toung and also go to the dentist every 6 months to get my ...

Who uses mouthwash as part of their oral hygiene?
I don't really use it, but I floss and brush 2x daily, but which one is better, Listerine or Crest Pro-Health Rinse?...

What can I eat and cant eat when I have braces?
I just recently got braces yesterday. My teeth are very sore ! Is there anything i can eat without damaging my braces? And what should I avoid?? Because right now its like a have a hug strip of metal ...

What is the best treament for a seven month old baby that is teething really bad and cant sleep?

How often should i brush my teeth,currently i`m doing it once a week, is that sufficient?

What is the best toothbrush I can buy for $500?
my papa gave me five hundred dollars to buy a tooth-brush. can you tell me what is the best tooth brush I can buy with just this little amount of money?? thank ...

Can anyone tell me the best way to stop my false teeth falling out?
I was having tea with the local vicar the other day. I took a bite of my cucumber sandwich ( cut into triangles with the crust cut off) and my teeth fell out. Oh! The shame i did'nt know where ...

I think I have an absessed tooth, what should I do?
I know I have to go to the dentist, but they scheduled me for july 5th, and I got a headache because of it. What can I do for now? Should I take tylenol or any other medicine?...

Do braces hurt when you first get them?
I'm getting braces soon,and I just want to know what to ...

Cant sleep chronic toothache, any advice?

How can I prevent bad breath?

What type of toothpaste do you use?

Additional Details
thanks for you response.......

Toothache and wont be able to see a dentist till Thursday?
I cracked my tooth sometime in January 2007 (don't remember the exacted day) but it didn't start hurting till a had some peanuts a week in a half ago. Now the pain is nearly unbearable and I...

Anyone else think having toothache is more painful than giving birth?
I've had Endometriosis and given birth twice but nothing compares to the pain when you have an abscess or tooth problem....

How many toothbrushes have you ?

Wisdom tooth being pulled out?
i am getting my wisdom tooth pulled out on thursday and i am pretty damn nervous... i am expecting a whole lot of pain, if so can you tell me your stories with this, how did you cope with it and how ...

R u afraid of going to the dentist?
I am not I personally love it, cause I love my teeth....

If you've had your wisdom teeth surgically removed...?
I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow. I'm really nervous about it. My bf told me as many details as he could remember about the process, but his were removed a couple years ago, ...

HOW LONG SHOULD U KEEP A tooth brush?
ok. so plz answer my question. i will choose u for best answer but first im gonna go answer one of ur questions . u give ten points then i give u ur points. my tooth brush is kinda old but i cant ...

Can you over brush your teeth?
If you brush your teeth with a regular toothbrush, and without using toothpaste for about an hour a day, can it damage your teeth or your gums?...

Boys_Like_Girls16
Bracesss..?
ok im gettinf braces in feb. nd i wanted to know the process..not in like 5 paragraphs...just a brief process of it. and how does it make your eatin habits different? when can you chew gum? how do i brush my teeth?

XD (loves JB's)
Rating
Well. heres the process..

PROCESS OF PUTTING THEM ON YOUR TEETH:
first when you get them on they put the brackets on. they apply this clear thing on your tooth so that its like a glue of some sort. then they use a blow dryer type thing to dry it. Next, when they did that step for every tooth, they will put in a wire. they just snap it on, doesn't hurt a bit. then you get to choose the color! then they put this rubber circle around the brackets which is the color that you chose. then your done!

HURTINGNESS: after this process, it may hurt a bit. actually, it will hurt a bit but only for a few days.

EATING HABITS: your eating habits? not really changed but it only changes when they change your wire because your teeth will hurt and you could only eat soft stuff.

GUM!: i chew gum all the time. i know that people say it will get stuck but- nope, it doesn't.

TEETH BRUSHING: brushing your teeth. you just brush it like regular. but i suggest an electric toothbrush. it helps a lot. but you can still use a regular toothbrush like what i do.

good luck w/ your braces! hope this helps!!!

mono_kuro_b0o
Rating
ok
they start puttign this mould into ure teeth n so u can comapre it after n b4 braces
then they clean ure teeth up whiten possibly
and then put this glue
and put the metal
then wire
n then u choose the colour

if its tight for the first3 days- week it wil hurt
so have soup or mushi noodles.
u can chew gum but the risk is it getting it stuck
i stil chew though :D
burshing teeth is nomral
and u change elastics every monthh(=

C_43
they tell you to eat mainly soft foods, and try to avoid carbonate sodas and candy, anything with lots of sugar in it.
you can chew gum just not the bubble gum kind because it gets all soft and wrapped around the braces but you can have the chewing gum, like trident and stride and such and such.

the way to brush your teeth. to make sure i get everything nice and clean, okay let's focus on the top section of the teeth. so your braces are gonna be in the center of your teeth. so brush the top section above the braces and then right across the braces, and then you do normally as you would for the inner part of your teeth and the same thing goes for the bottom row. but they say brush your teeth with the toothbrush pointing downward when you brush the parts above/below the braces.

blehh hint...try to avoid the sugary foods! i'm obsessed with sweets and i've had two cavities with my braces hahaa.

Jenna I
they put a big thing on your mouth.
you can't lick your teeth, they try and keep your mouth really dry.
then they put glueish stuff on your teeth,
then they use this light to dry it,
then they put the brackets on.
then they use the light thing again.
then they do the wires.

you brush your teeth normally.

your eating habits are basically the same.
you can chew gum, but shouldn't.

when you first get your braces yogurt and ice cream.
don't eat hard foods.
i ate a burger afterwards and broke like four brackets,
but that was right afterwards.

good luck its worth it!

MCdeltron
Rating
if you havnt got the bands yet, they put it in your molar teeth for a week to separate them. then at the dentist, they remove it and put the metal brackets in, then glue those things in each of your teeth and connect them with a wire. last they put the bands in to wrap the wire. this all takes about 2 hours.
first and second weeks, you will have to eat only soup. third week, you can eat soft foods. you can also chew gum that week but only if your back teeth dont hurt.
brushing your teeth is the same but when i got braces, i skipped for the few following days.

C
Yeah I'm getting my braces off in Feb.
You get impressions.
They put on your braces (probably be sore for a few days)
Adjustments (depend on what your problem is also hurt for a few days each visit)
get them off (relief)
retainer (I haven't had this step yet optional)
night gear (I get to skip this step optional)

sportsfanatic727@sbcglobal.net
alright the way i got it is they put spacers in ur molars for a week and then attach these silver things on ur back molars then these brackets on all ur teeth glued on by a little cement and then dried with ultra-violet light, and then the wire is put in. eating is same except they tell u all this stuff about not to eat stuff i chewed gum all the time brushing ur teeth is in circles. i had braces for 2 years trust me id know. =)

-Matt-
They use a cement to glue it yo your teeth. Avoid solid foods for a week or two, but once the sensitivity goes away there's not much you can't eat. Just be wary of very hard foods or you can easily pop a bracket off. Brushing is the same except use the little bracket cleaner they give you. Before you know it you won't even notice them anymore.

Dr. Phil
Rating
first they out the brackets on and put the first set of bands across them on. the first couple of weeks is the worst, you will want to take them off but just hang in there. it will feel normal in a bit, then they just keep putting the tighters bands across them. then you will get elastics for a bit. then you will get them tooken off. normally takes about 2 years for all that to work.

magyar ;o
well this cant be explained in a breif process but ill try. i had braces and it didnt hurt to get them on but the first few days are horrible!!!! u cant even talk. eat applesauce and crap. but then it gets better and wen u get used to it u can eat gum and stuff. just be careful. i did. it worked. i ate everything. and if u want u can carrya little brusher cleaner thing to help u get food out of there. hhaha have fun tho! :>>> and remember always folow rules the rules to get them off sooner.

Neil Rawson
Rating
Well, you shouldn't worry about this too much. The procedure is fairly simple. The first appointment, they will attach small metal brackets with a very strong cement-like substance. This doesn't hurt, but it's a bit long and uncomfortable. These brackets will feel weird against your gums, but after about three or four days you'll get used to them. Next, possibly on the same day, possibly later, they will lay wires across the brackets. This is usually a fairly quick and simple process where they put the wires over the brackets, and then secure them with small rubberbands. For the first few days, your teeth will feel a dull pain, because they're straightening, and every month, your orthodontist will remove your wires and repeat the process. My eating habits haven't changed at all since I got mine. You just have to be careful. Try not to eat anything extremely crunchy or gummy or you'll risk snapping one off. You brush you teeth the same as normal, but you may want to rinse with a fluoride rinse to avoid cavities.

Anyways, you've got nothing to worry about. In a few years, you'll have a beautiful smile. Hope this helps.

real.life_goesundefined
Rating
it takes a long time. its just annoying because your lips get really dry, they hold them open for a while. it hurts, but afterwards. not TOO bad.
after a while you dont even notice that they're on you. you dont really eat different..well you have to make sure you dont get food stuck in your braces because that happens REALLY easy and its embarassing XD
i brushed my teeth normally when i had my braces..
and technically you're not supposed to chew gum, and i followed this rule for a while, while i had mine..
but then i started chewing sugarless gum and it does nothing.
some other types of gum get stuck to your braces and its annoying.
basically, just avoid really hard or chewy foods and it will be great.

MiniMachinegun
they put glue on the bracet and place them in one by one. then they put in a small wire in the bracets. if you have the smart clip then you wont get colors..
you can eat anything for a while because your teeth will hurt very badly..
i still chew gun even though im not supposed too...i personally think it doesnt do anything..
and just brush your teeth normally but dont use teeth whiteners because it ruins them..and it WILL hurt to brusht them..

HAVE FUN!!

Leggie
basically they are going to fit you for the braces. when you get them on they might hurt at first. You shouldn't chew gum but I always did ( lol) when you get them tightened they might hurt too. but it's only temporary :-)

aclyue2
Rating
they just put the braces on you and you dont feel it until 5 hours later, you wont be able to eat pizza and chesse they say and apparently never chew gum and you brush your teeth the same way, but on top of normal brushing, you have another brush that fits between yor braces. my sister still eats all the stuff she isn't supposed to though...

Kate S
Rating
k it doens't change your eating habits, at least it didn't for me, i chew gum, eat popcorn and drink coke all the time, jsut brush after, for the first little while your teeth will hurt so you can eat soft foods, gum isn't a problem nothing is really, they just don't want it to get stuck in the brackets, which it doesn't at all really, nthing actually changes really, for me it didn't, except you have straighter teeth...

hotbaby12345678
It's an easy process don't get worked up about it, and you can start eating normally again after 1 week. Then your mouth will get used to them. First they clean your teeth then they dry out your mouth then they put on the glue for the little bally thingys then they but on your brackets

twirpy_gurl
It's not bad, I had them for 3 years, and I'm glad becasue now my teeth are nice and straight. anyways, it's not too bad. They don't hurt to get on, the only painful part is getting them tightened once a month. You can eat the same, just not anything too sticky like caramel or something. The ortho. should give you a list of what you can and can't eat. You shouldn't really chew gum, but some people do. Jst brush your teeth normally, but they'll give you a special little brush to get in between every bracket..and that's pretty much it :)

animalluver
Rating
get pictures of your mouth. cheek retracter in, brackets on, wires on, colors on, wait a few weeks (eat soft food), get braces tightened, repeat.
I was allowed to chew sugar-free gum like trident, and for a bit eat soft food.

!!!
chewing gum is fine. they are lying when they tell you not to chew it!! always take pain killers BEFORE your appointment. they wont start hurting until a couple hours afterwards but its good to take pain killers before you feel pain!! brushing your teeth will be hard at first but you'll get used to it!! Just wait until you get to floss!!

Good Luck!!

=]

Amy
Rating
Well from what I can remember (I got them off 3 years ago) They place a glue on the teeth, and after it they place the brackets on. They then will measure a wire and thread it threw them and that's really about it. After getting them on your teeth will hurt, and you will eat soft food for the first few days. Your not 'allowed' to chew gum the whole time but denture gum is fine. :] Brush should just go on about the same way, but now you should floss between the brackets. I had them for 4 years, and got them off 3 years ago, so I'm not 100% sure.

audrey
when you start off getting braces be a little light on brushing your teeth just let your teeth get use to the braces then after a month or so you can brush them just like regular.
same thing with food dont eat anything hard or sticking but after a few months i found i could, you still may get to occasional broken bracket but its all good.
its really not that bad.

but now mine are off and i have pretty pearly whites!
so if you ever feel bad about braces or self conscious just ignore it b/c it is soo worth it when you get them off!
but really the only worse part is getting stuff stuck in them so just bring a mirror with you and you soon wont have to b/c you will master getting food out of your teeth with your tung, haha.
GOOD LUCK!

megrose93
you should ask your orthodontist because everyone has a different "schedule" or process. no really hard nuts, and you can have gum as long as it's sugar free gum- so it wont stick

Espresso
they just cement them on....... i chew sugar freee gum....... it does change eating but u get used 2 it.... and brushing ur teeth is exactly the same just make sure to get around ur gums

h
Rating
They hurt 4 about 2 weeks then u get used to them. they don't bother that much. No gum chewing, and brush really well.

Lee H
Rating
well to bash the first answerer, they're an idiot and i hate when people do that.

they will cement some brackets on your teeth and put a wire in there, and you're good to go.
i was told not to chew gum, eat popcorn, stay away from sticky foods...i listened to none of this...i broke a few brackets, but they're easily replaced.
brush your teeth in the same matter, but reach for the places around the brackets.

jackie l
Rating
Dont eat anything hard
brush them normally
sometimes the wires poke at the end you can get them cut
try getting invisilign

Christa <3
When they put it on they get a very foul smelling and tasting glue (i know buts impossible not to tase it in your mouth) they stick it on your teeth and use a special appliance they have to make it stay and then when all teeth are done they add a wire through, it is sore for a while, so for the first week or 2 you can only tolerate soft food, then back to basics, no gum allowed unless your orthodontist says so.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.174
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Monday, June 11, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy