Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

I've been depressed for a while now and I've reached a point where I drink myself to sleep. What should I do?

Why am i sad?
Why am i sad i have a decent life but to many mistakes and no one beleives me what do i ...

Just help me please...?
i'm not one of those people that ask everyone if i'm fat. i keep it held inside. i know im not obese, but i feel so uncomfortable with my weight. once i eat i fell depressed and if i gain a ...

Help... i'm 19 and have no ambition motivation goals or direction in life...?
Like it said, i feel like i'm not going anywhere. All i do is work, suft the net, make out, and party sometimes.. I have 2 years of college done. But i have no idea where i see myself in 5 or 10 ...

What do you like the most about yourself?
self image......

Self-harm?
i've been self harming for 4 years (i'm 16). i managed to stop it for about a few months. but because i'm so stressed out, i'm tempted on harming myself again. i am punching ...

Am I depressed?
I am really down lately. My marriage is in trouble, my son is disabled and it is difficult at times, I lost a great paying job and now work for much less and I just feel like everything is down on me....

Very Confused, And Attention Starved?
Okay, long story. I'll shorten it down. Aparrently, I'm attention starved. I've got the bad habit of telling everyone my inner thoughts and feeling. I also over react to everything. N...

I need your help. My boyfriend is an addict?
My boyfriend is an addict, and he just expects me to not fuss about the drugs. He is addicted to crack cocaine and ecstacy and he has been to rehab seven times, but each time he comes out, two weeks ...

Do i have a mental disorder?
I am a 15 year old girl.
I often think that my friends don't really want to be friends with me. I feel like they just feel sorry for me. I also start fights with them for no reason. I like ...

COULD I BE DEPRESSED?
most people describe me as a funny, smart and pretty girl but recently ive been crying constantly and i feel isolated and so alone. i hav tried 2talk to a friend but she kind of disregards it and ...

Depression?
I Suffer from social anxiety disorder and its interfering with my life
well.. i have no life lol because of it my mums gona fone my doctor and try and get me a phsychiatrist or something to help ...

Tell me why my husband blames all his bad behavior on being bipolar - isn't he ever to blame for hurting me?
Ever since my husband was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, all of his bad, even abusive behavior gets blamed on the lack of meds before treatment, porblems with meds since treatment, or just the ...

What makes u happy?

Anyone out there with excessive anxiety?
I have an anxiety disorder (Anxiety NOS) and I had a really bad day. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope?
Additional Details
Yes, I do know what NOS means. (Not otherwise ...

This is really weird what do you think it is?
right i have this crazy nonsense talking voice in my head
and it keeps claiming this guy is my son (i know weird)
and this guy certainly is not (hes 20 years older than me)
hes the ...

Should I admit myself to the hospital?
I'm crying & very depressed....

Am i a freak, or does anyone else do this? Why do i do this?
i often find that, when i'm on the verge of being very low, i will 'feed' my depression, for example by searching for questions on here to do with self harm or suicide, so that i then ...

Why do people commit suicide .Are they not afraid of death?
What can be the reasons that they are not even afraid to finish their life ....

Happy easter everyone!?
for all those in here who will be finding today a very difficult day, i wish you smiles, happiness, hugs and chocolate eggs. :)
(((((hugs)))))
a hope you all have a great day!...

swot
Can mentally ill people make a valid contribution to society?

DonnaDoop
Rating
Of course!! there are many types of mental health illness, and more than 50 % of the population will suffer from one or another at some point in their life. The thing about mental health problems is that they are not visible..not like a broken leg or a cut arm, so you never know who is suffering. With the statistics....we all come into contact with someone who has mental illness every single day of our lives, and not even notice!!we are probably all in need of mental health treatment!! Yes,

PvteFrazer
no, sorry, yes...... Most artists are pretty f***ed-up, headwise......

Mz. Incognita
Yes. I have Asperger Syndrome, which affects mental health. I spend my time contributing to Yahoo! Answers under this very category as one way of giving back.

Alex 42
I saw a programme today on CNN about a woman who was donating a kidney to a complete stranger because she believed her dead child wanted her to do so.

She was clearly mental, but I'm sure the recipient of the kidney appreciated her gift, so yes!

Anry
Rating
yes

sparkydog_1372
of course they can!

moomincloud
yes, we can and do :)

... also, sorry but - theresa e, all down to bad food??!! how bout - all crime is due to incorrect breathing!

The voice of thinking
Rating
Why do you ask, is it because you think that mentally ill people are just an illness?

Of course mentally ill people can make a VALID contribution to society, there have been many famous people who have had mental illnesses, Churchill had depression and so did Freud, and they have shaped modern society.

Silver Plath had depression but she still wrote "The bell jar."

And I'm sure you will agree that these people where never confined by illness, yes they can make a valid contribution.

Many people in "normal" jobs have high rates of illness and depression etc, and these people still do their jobs, these include teachers Dr's chefs and airline pilot's.

mrselange
Of course...and being that the mentally ill make up more of the population than most realize, I would say yes for sure. In fact mental illness affects many people at some time in their life.

donnahardyuk2003
Don't even get me started, of course they can. Someone who suffers from clinical depression can be classed as mentally ill, but they still can go out to work, pay their taxes for god only knows who to reep the benefits

bocoo_man
Rating
Their contribution is to be mentally ill, want to trade places?

Mel
Rating
Of course. Sometimes more of a contribution than supposed "sane" people.

Brittany D
Totally. Look at Vincent Van Gough, Kurt Cobain, Pablo Picasso... They have a made a univresal contribution to the arts.

he's gone
Rating
Boin-oin-oing! My avatar just transcended to the level of Yahoo Zen.

Let the spirit of Jerry Bear speak to the topic:

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Well, there you have it. Now, since my work here is done, then there's nothing left to do but...

:)

!!!

bronx
Rating
I am totally intrigued by your question. Do you really think that mentally ill people may not be able to contribute to society? Of course they can. Everyone has a chance of becoming mentally ill at some point in their lives. A civilized society is one which cares for and values its weaker members.
I have a psychotic illness and life can be hard, but I still go to work (a demanding job) and am raising happy and healthy children. However I live in fear that my illness may be "discovered" and I could lose my job. If society were more tolerant I would not have this fear and would be able to discuss my illness openly knowing I would get the support I need.
We should value all members of our community and look to removing the barriers that prevent full participation in society. If we move away from a medical model of disability this will help!!!

me
more than you will ever know

stella9everytime
Think of the number of talented authors and artists, whose talent stemmed from their mental illness. These people have made valid and long lasting contributions to society.

buggerlugs
of course they can sill just look at blair and bush... mmm maybe not then

Spaz
Yes, just because they are mentally ill doesn't mean that they are useless. I have a schizofrenic brother who is very proficient with computers, he didn't always use his skills wisely, but could if he wanted to.

Proud Mommy
YES!!!!

theresa e
Rating
Yes but most mental illness is due to nutritional problems. If they can be helped nutritionally it is easier for them to contribute.

butterflyharmon
Wow what a question some of the great minds of are time were mentally ill. my Dr has posters all over his walls with famous mentally ill people wish i had the memory to remember them all. but some where Einstein, Napoleon, one of those composers either Mozart of Beethoven. and i think Lincoln. People with bipolar disorder tend to be very creative when in a manic episode and do some of their best work. be it art music or just doing their job.

Ting Tong
of coarse, think of all the well paid jobs just to keeping them locked up!

El Mariachi
Rating
Thats a mental Q.

Huguenot
Rating
Yes. Some mental illnesses are even more positively associated with socio-economic success than so called normality (if that's a word.) Manic-depression and Obssesive Compulsive disorder for eg.

For people who are disabled mentally, they contribute by getting a nasty society to slow down and love one another, and help each other out.

lost_but_not_hopeless
I am, and I do..
For a long time I did not. I was a burden to the world and caught up in issues that I could not begin to comprehend. Admitting my faults, Evaluation, accurate diagnosis, therapy, facing the mountain of denial, and proper medication have been my salvation.
I have a great job and a very decent life. I have found success in a life (and mind) built for failure. 10 years ago I sat in a horrible place because I had systematically thrown my entire life in the dumpster.
Sometimes it is a matter of finding the right kind of help.
Some people can overcome the madness of mental illness. Some people live their entire lives in denial. Some people are terminally mentally ill with no hope for successful reentry into society.
Personal experience would suggest much more than half can and do contribute positively. Most of the rest are treatable if they can find proper treatment. And a similar percentage will remain lost forever. Plenty of institutions are too busy with these people .. some temporary, some permanent. And there are waaay more than too many homeless people with mental illness that have simply run out of options or don't have the means or desire to find help.

Agnostic Canadian
Rating
Absolutly, possitively, unquestionabley yes =)

earnest dubois
Rating
many are doing it right now, and lots of "perfect" people contribute nothing at all.

OneWhoRuns
Rating
yes, volunteer.

lisa h
Rating
Can someone who suffers from a physical illness make a valid contribution to society? What's the difference? Just because someone has a diagnosis of mental illness does not make them any less of a person than someone suffering from a physical illness. Having worked with people with mental health problems for over 13 years I have found more compassion, insight and rationality than amongst the 'sane' people. As a sufferer of mental health problems, I feel I am still a valuable member of the society, sometimes I just struggle with things, as do MOST people at some time or another

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy