Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Why do my parents ignore my pleas for help?
They must know that I self harm because it's really obvious, why do they ignore it?It only makes me do it again and again cos they keep ignoring me and I keep on telling them I'm down and ...

Is cutting your own hair when depressed considered a self-destructive act?

Additional Details
It actually doesn't look bad, but I hacked off about 6 inches. It's still below my shoulders though....

Does anyone really believe counselling helps get over depression?
I have just been diagnosed with depression and got medication and counselling, but i dont want to sit and talk with a total stranger of my problems. I dont even want to take the drugs really! does ...

Am I the only person who HATES it when people say no offence and proceed off to a rude comment?

todays comments:

My "friend": "No offence, but your family is weird..."

I was offended, and i tried to say something back but she didnt hear ...

Love and betrayel on yahoo amswers tell me what you think?
in may 2008 i met a guy on yahoo answers the category of course was in polls and surveys.then my father passed away may 22nd 2008 after my father passing away i still have grieved for him this guy ...

Whats your deepest fear ?
Be honest what is your worst fear, im not talking about those little things, im talking about the things that would hurt you for the rest of your life... what do you deeply fear?

i fear ...

Do you think im nuts?
im 22, self harmer of 6+years. I'd say for my age quite a heavy drinker! At the moment apart from the occasional pet sitting job im unemployed, i spend most of the 24 hours sleeping and when im ...

Why do people get cancer when they dont smoke?

Right now I feel crappy...What to do?
It is not for any particular reason, I just feel crappy. I know I am not always a nice person, I don't want to be this way but it just seems to happen. What can i do to cheer myself up? I was ...

Has anybody ever seen a Vampire?

Why do people give such mean answers?
Especially in the mental health section. Mental health is not a joke.
Additional Details
Well I read answers and questions about people offing themselves. I recently asked a question ...

What is the easiest way to remembering the things?
Day today things are forgetting often and unwanted things are in our memory with out forget. How to overcome this habit? is there any procedure to practice?...

If you could ahve a tattoo where would you have it?

How can a human stop thinking about death and suicide everyday?
How to avoid thinking that way, what to do,...

I'm so happy I need bringing down, can you depress me otherwise I'll burst?
I can't even talk about it because it will make me even happier.
Additional Details
Thank you everyone.
P...

What if you're so tired and exhausted and want it all to stop!? Isn't this an acceptable reason for suicide?

Is it ok to always want to be the center of attention no matter what?
because i feel like i have to be the center of attention and if im not i just feel out of place. i wanna be the craziest loudest person in the room....

What is the best way of dealing with stress?
finding it really hard concentrating because i have just started a new job - things are really getting to me - read about fasting and meditation - anyone have any ideas ??...

What is wrong with me? I cant stop crying...?
I have felt depressed / 'down' for 6 years, ever since i got into a bad relationship with a 'bad boy' when i was 16. He used to threaten me, push me around, he almost raped me..<...

What is the secret to letting go and really being calm?

strathhavengirl
A question about depression?
I think I might be depressed. I'm only a teen, and am afraid my amatuer self diagnosis won't be taken seriously, so i need to know your views. Last year, one of my friends (who wants to be a psychiatrist) said she thinks I'm depressed, and wanted me to be a guidance conselor. I barely get any sleep (from anxiety) and am always exhausted the next day. Everybody says I never smile, and i have lke, permanent bags under my eyes. I've heard depression, and bipolar disorder, but as I said, I won't be taken seriously. Help?
Additional Details
I can't sleep at night, but yes, during the day, I'm freakishly exhausted. Its not like I'm doing actual physical work or anything. I just "need to sleep" constantly, and can't sleep at night.

tlbrown42000
A healthcare provider will be more open to accepting what you say....as may be a councelor....even a guidance councelor at school. Tell someone untill someone listens...keep trying. Depression is sometimes dismissed in teen years....be persistant.

SKINSIS.com
you will always be taken seriously, just don't feel sorry for yourself
tell someone you aren't feeling ok, that somehing is wrong but its not healt wise...

Joe1664
Firstly if you think you have depression you need to go and see your doctor or guidance councilor to see what they think.

They symptoms you described are similar to those of a depressed person but they are also the same for teenagers growing up.

Everybody gets a bit depressed periodically but they can usually pull themselves out of it, that's life's ups and downs. If you find that you are on down and you stay down there then you should seek advice.

rock doc
sounds like all u need is some sleep. trust me, if ur depressed, u would have a lot of problems and u wouldn't talk about it.

bumpercar
depression can happen at any age,look into it because it can effect everything that happens around you

Bailey
u r a teen and need your sleep to function and be healthy

please see a guidance counselor, therapist, psychiatrist... for diagnosis and help

it sounds like you could have anxiety disorder and be also depressed

i hope they can help you :)

kathrin
Rating
That's ok. I'm sure we've all had days like this. And from experience, I would rather be taking a nap (peace of mind), eating fruits, accept life as it is, make the most of it, try to have fun, pray perhaps to get better, do something that will make me feel better, than be gloomy for a long period of time. Because looking back on it now, the only thing I learned is a better way to stay away from depression because let me tell you what good does it do: taught me to look at the bright side of things or forever be gloomy. Uh no thanks, I've discovered enough fun things to do after school, so I'd rather go for it than sit on my butt! I hope you feel better.

aaron4atx
Talk to your school counselor. Don't self diagnose, just list out the symptoms and ask if you should be concerned. If you need to worry you'll know soon enough. Plus, I think there is healthy depression and anxiety brought on by reality and the unhealthy kind that stays and becomes self destructive. A little sadness is just a symptom of being American and alive - when you start to want to hurt yourself or others or when you hear voices then you should be afraid.

Matt
I think if you tell the right person - guidance counselor, maybe a parent - they'll have to believe you. You are best suited to make the diagnosis, especially if you are familiar with the symptoms, which you seem to be.

meemo
The simple solution for depression: Get up and get moving. Physically move. Do. Act. Get going.
Life is still ahead of you, greet it with a smile always.

themeindzeye
Rating
Why do you think you won't be taken seriously? Have you spoken to your doctor? I should have gone to see a doc in high school for depression, but didn't because my mother had me convinced they were going to throw me in the loony bin. If you think you have an issue, let your doctor know. Don't tell them first off 'I think I have this." Tell them, "I am experiencing the following symptoms: <list symptoms> They are causing problems for me during my day-to-day life and I would like to be evaluated to see what the cause may be. I suspect depression." The doctor (if they're a good doc) will listen and work with you. If they're not a good doctor and ignore you, you should find a new one and get a second opinion.

angelus
well, it sounds like you are depressed, its not that hard to know if you are. If you have felt like this for more than a year then its obvious that you're depressed. seek help

PW
Rating
Sounds like you are just guessing that you won't be taken seriously. Any kind of counselor will take you seriously.

mo l
Rating
Bipolar disorader and Depression are not exactly about being depressed. They have a wide array of symptoms, and actually are quite different from one another, so your main concern should be to research. Teens frequently go through such a period in their lives, sometimes due to horomones since your body is still developing and sometimes the chemicals throw themselves off. The key is to look for red flags and address them. The main concern is sleep patterns to me, though, since a key sign of an oncoming depressive disorder is a lack of sleep and a lack of interest in common activities, such as school or friends. These are worth keeping an eye on. But, bear in mind that some people are simply not that interested in study, or don't need much sleep.
The key is routine.
So, if you want to start looking for red flags, I advise that you observe your sleep, social, and school patterns and ask yourself: "Have they changed lately for no apparent reason?"
Another key is rejection sensitivity. This is, essentially, a social anxiety in which minor social tasks, such as getting change from a cashier, are major stressors and ordeals and they create anxiety. If you suffer from that, it might be worth looking into.
If you feel depression setting on, notify someone immedietly. If you are worried, do the same. You never know what people will do until you ask, and so it is always worth asking.
Good luck, and don't fret if you are diagnosed with a disorder, because the quicker the diagnosis, the more effectivly you will be on the road to proper treatment.
Hope I helped!

notyou311
Rating
Teen depression is not unusual at all. Talk to your guidance counselor.

gina m
family doctor? guidance counselor? talk to someone candidly about your symptoms not what you think is wrong. you are correct if you tell them you are depressed they will think you are like every other normal teenager. tell them what you said here. start journaling your moods and sleep problems for backup- good luck

thecat72667
Rating
you need to go to your doctor n get a referral too see a psychiatrist and get a proper diagnosis and he/she will put you on meds for your sleep disorder n what ever they think is the underlying cause no time too mess around with this any longer

bobweb
Rating
You can't tell a book by its cover is a true statement. People who seem happy and normal could have an illness, and a total hermit could be the healthiest person around. A psychiatrist would appreciate this fact. The next point is that few things are black and white in life, meaning there are degrees of depression just like there are degrees of well being and happiness. You should read a lot more about mental illness and it may turn out to be a field you could make a career of.
http://www.webmd.com

Missy154
Rating
First of all you need to RELAX!! Being diagnosed with depression is NOT the end of the world. It is very normal to be depressed at certain times in our lives esp. when you are a teen. Sounds like myself when I was younger. You need to talk to your guidance councilor at school first and then move on from there to maybe your parents depending on the kind of relationship you have with them. Good luck and remember RELAX and take it one day at a time. Like the old saying, this soon shall pass.

lanibear55
Rating
I don't think you are depressed. It sounds more like teen angst to me. If you were truly depressed, you'd not have friends, you wouldn't hang out, your eating habits would change - you would rapidly gain or lose weight - you wouldn't take an interest in everyday things - like school, going out, listening to music, talking on the phone, etc. Every teen has gone through angst - it's your hormones and trying to find your niche in this crazy world. You'll get through it honey!!

arnouba
Rating
why not seek help you won't lose anything. from what you said i think you have something that annoys you, i don't know if you are aware of, but i think it is the reason of your sleepless nights.

Reality
Do not hesitate, go see your counselor, I have lived with years of depression & if someone would have helped me when I was your age I may not be in the situation now.

kitty is ANGRY!â„¢
Rating
sounds like depression to me
lol but i have it the total opposite way
i sleep all the time cause i just dont feel like doing anything

i dont think a guidance counselor will tell you anything you cant already figure out yourself though

cowboys21angel
Rating
First, DON't listen to your friend who is a wanna-be psychiatrist. If you were my child, I would be very concerned if you weren't smiling and your looked tired. There are many things that could be wrong. You could have a sleeping disorder which could explain everything. You could have the winter blues which is now know to be an illness. Talk to your parents, tell them how you feel and ask to be taken to a doctor. Be sure and tell the doctor everything you are feeling. Let them be the judge of your problem. There are some very mild, short term meds that can be used to solve your problems. And honey, please look yourself in the mirror and smile, you are a fantastic person!

Holly
Rating
It could be in your genes...

fallen
Rating
first of all, just because your a teen does not mean you can not be depressed, i am both. but just because you can not sleep does no mean you are depressed, you might have a sleep disorder, or something along the lines of that. but there is more then depression then not sleeping and not smiling( i smile though ). if you want to know more about depression send me a email, i'll be happy to help you any way i can :)

lyllyan
Rating
The best way to find out would be to talk to your doctor. Express your ideas about depression - he/she can test you - it may be a case of anxiety,low self esteem, or even a vitamin deficiency. If you feel it is depression, there are lots of websites that list the symptoms of the disease - how many do you feel describes you?

Kerry
Perhaps you are merely not getting enough sleep. How many hours per day do you get? It should be between 7 -- 9, around in there. I would first start by adjusting that. Another thing to consider is your ability to be active. Do you feel like staying out home all of the time? Isolate yourself away from others? How little or no energy to do daily chores and tasks? Feel like blaah all of the time?

If you answered yes, then would suggest setting goals for you to work on, in several areas of your life. Set some goals in the physical---like exercising, set some goals in the intellectual, like reading a book, set some goals in the social---like going out with friends, set a goal in the emotional--like doing a kind deed or project for someone in need.

By working on these areas and by focusing on accomplishing something, you will begin to feel better.

Finally, talk about this to someone you trust, like your parents, a favorite teacher, or the guidance counselor. They will be able to offer help as well.

mamadukes
Yes it does sound like depression, I know you don't want to hear about going to a doctor, but, you will not be going in with a diagnosis, you will be going because you feel you are depressed and you want an evaluation, that's all.They need to know why you are going there (psychiatrist), so that they have something to go on, after the evaluation, they will tell you if it is or it isn't...and no they won't think you are crazy. Trust me, been there, done that and bought the tee shirt....have been on medication for depression and anxiety for quite awhile, since you are young, you may not need meds at all....good luck to you, I wish you the best.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy