Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

What do you think about 'passive' smoking ?
I grew up in a small house with two smokers on 40 a day each. Everyone at school thought it was me that smoked because I smelled of it which was annoying. The house was totally impregnated with ...

Sinus Infection. Please Read!?
Ok. I went to visit my mom for the weekend then I started to feel weird. My head would always feel light and I would feel tingly and ichy all over my head. My ears keep clogging up and every noise ...

If left untreated does bronchitis turn into pnumonia?

I have bronchitis?
I am 29 years old, i smoke socially (20 x per week) which I will never do again. My sister emailed me to say that people come down with bronchitis usually have other health problems. She is ...

My friend has started smoking cigars?
my friend has started smoking cigars, where could he be getting them from he is way underage.. like 16.. and looks ...

I have cough and no ins. what's the best method to get rid of this cough?
I can't sleep at night, I take Robitussium, Nyquill and they don't even work. It's been 1 month now....

When I shout or laugh too hard, I always get some breathing problems afterwards. HELP!?
I always get the feeling that there is phlegm in my throat, at the windpipe area. Breathing becomes pretty difficult, cause I get the feeling that I can't fill up my lungs.

This ...

Inhaled Food?
I was just eating some grapes and when I bit into one it sort of 'exploded' and the mushy inside slid back down my throat. For a second I couldn't breathe (I certainly didn't ...

Asthma???????
ive just been the doctors and been diagnosed with asthma, he explained it all to me but i didnt catch it all (hes foreign) can anybody explain to me what astma is? and what causes it?...

What's the best way to cure laryngitis?
I'm recovering from a terrible infection that caused me to totally lose my voice. I'm taking antibiotics and it's getting better, but I need my voice! I know that time is the best ...

I feel sick when im in my house if i leave for a while i feel better, No one else in the house feels sick???
could it be mold or mildow
Additional Details
if so who do i call???...

Can you get pulminary fibrosis by taking steroids for some forms of artritis?

How to stop myself snoring? I snore sometimes and i'm not aware of it! Pls help!!?

What is pcp?
My friends all want me to do it.
But im scared to.
i know that its bad. but is it really bad?
im really highhhhhhh right now

Help my mother is toxicated?
ok well my mom was cleaning the bathroom and she used all these products not sure whitch but i know one is called ajax after she was done cleaning 3 hours later she began to felt dissy and hey eyes ...

Eczema and asthma?
does anyone know what the best deodrant to buy for an 11year old child who suffers bad eczema and asthma....

My girlfriend has a kidney infection?
Do you know a good remedy for her to use?...

Best Medicine For Cold?
I am starting to come down with a cold I am in high school and can't afford to be slowed down evrything on my head (ears nose throat eyes) burn and it wakes me up in the middle night and gives ...

What is the best antibiotic for a sinus infection?
I have had a sinus infection for about 2 months now.. I went to the Dr. over 2 weeks ago and was given an antibiotic and antihistime..a week later i was back cause there was no progress.. they ...

Worse places to live with asthma?
i live in st. louis. what states in america are the best and worse places to live with having chronic asthma?...

autumnmist59
What is the cause of pneumonia?
how do you get pneumonia

Florence P
Rating
It can start with a cough or cold, but the fluid gets built up in the lungs and is therefore hard to breathe sometimes. Always take it seriously/

catduke3
there are many causes of pneumonia, there is bacterial pneumonia, caused by a bug, there is viral pneumonia, and there is also chemical pneumonia caused by something that you have breathed into your lungs.

Batman
Rating
This factsheet is for people who have pneumonia or for people who want information about pneumonia.

Pneumonia is an inflammation of the lungs, usually caused by an infection of the lung tissue by one of many different microorganisms (germs). It is very common in the UK - it affects around 1 in every 100 people each year. Babies and people over 65 most commonly get pneumonia and most infections occur in the autumn or winter.

Most types of pneumonia can usually be treated effectively with antibiotics. However it can also be a serious illness, especially for people who are elderly and frail or already ill.

Click the start arrow to see the pneumonia animation in motion.

The Flash plug-in is required to view this animation.

Types of pneumonia
Pneumonia is often divided into two main categories ('community-acquired pneumonia' and 'hospital-acquired pneumonia') depending on whether you were infected while living at home (in the community) or while staying in hospital.

There are different types of pneumonia within these categories caused by various infections, which are described below.

Typical pneumonia
There are a range of bacteria that may cause an infection leading to 'typical pneumonia' including Streptococcus pneumoniae which causes pneumococcal pneumonia. This is the most common cause of pneumonia.

Viruses can also be a source of infection including influenza - or flu.

An infection with a bacterium and a virus can occur at the same time. A Streptococcus pneumoniae infection is usually 'secondary' to a person having flu for example. This is known as a 'secondary infection' and can slow down recovery significantly.

Atypical pneumonia
Less commonly, microorganisms can cause other forms of pneumonia. These illnesses are classed as "atypical pneumonia" and include:

Legionnaire's disease (caused by a bacterium)
SARS - severe acute respiratory syndrome (caused by a virus)
Weakened immune system
People with a weakened immune system (such as people with AIDS or those that have had an organ transplant and are taking immunosuppressant drugs) may get additional pneumonia-causing infections.

These include an infection with the fungus-like organism Pneumocystis carinii. This infection is rarely the cause of pneumonia in people who have a fully-functioning immune system.

Aspiration pneumonia
Pneumonia can also be caused by inhaling substances, such as caustic chemicals, food or vomit into the lungs. This is known as "aspiration" pneumonia and is not infectious.

Symptoms
Your symptoms will depend on how much of your lung is affected and the type of infection that you have. Symptoms may come on quite suddenly and include:

in the beginning, a dry cough, which progresses to be a cough with phlegm that is often green/yellow or rust-coloured and may be smelly
breathlessness
pain in the side of your chest that can make breathing and coughing uncomfortable
fever
loss of appetite
aches and pains
Complications
Complications are more common in older people and may include:

a build up of fluid around the lungs called a pleural effusion
breathing difficulties, which will need treatment in hospital
spread of the infection to your blood, called septicaemia or "blood poisoning" - this can be very dangerous
How do you get pneumonia?
The microorganisms (germs) that cause pneumonia may be present in your body for some time before causing illness. Or, they may also be spread between people through droplets in the air. Coughing and sneezing create droplets.

There are a number of factors that affect your body's ability to fight off infection and put you more at risk of developing pneumonia. They include:

being in poor health
age - the very young and old (over 65) are most susceptible to pneumonia
smoking (as smoking damages your lungs which makes it easier to get an infection)
heavy drinking
heart disease
having a lung disease, such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
a low immunity to infection - if you have an illness such as AIDS or are having some types of chemotherapy for example.
Hospital-acquired pneumonia
People in hospital are vulnerable to pneumonia for a number of reasons. These include:

having a weakened immune system, which increases your risk of getting pneumonia
a reduced cough reflex following surgery or severe illness - a cough reflex is the body's way of clearing things out of the airways that may irritate them, an automatic reaction that defends the body against infections
the types of bacteria responsible for pneumonia caught in hospital, which tend to be different from those that cause community-acquired pneumonia - they may also be resistant to the standard antibiotics (such as resistant strains of the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus)
Diagnosis
Your doctor will examine you and ask you about your symptoms. He or she will tap on your chest and listen to how your breath sounds with a stethoscope.

Your doctor may suggest that you have an X-ray to determine the location and extent of the infection.

Your doctor may take a sample of blood or phlegm for testing. The sample will be sent to a laboratory for examination to find out what type of infection you have. This will help your doctor to decide how to treat you.

Treatment
If you have pneumonia you should drink plenty of fluids. If you have pain you should take painkillers that you would normally take for a headache.

Drug treatments
If you have community-acquired pneumonia, your doctor will prescribe you antibiotics immediately, often prior to tests on the phlegm sample. Antibiotics treat pneumonia caused by bacteria. Antibiotics are usually given straight away as bacterial infections are the most common cause of pneumonia and antibiotics are generally very effective. It is usually safe to assume that the infection will respond to standard antibiotics such as amoxicillin. Generally for chest infections you should take antibiotics for about seven days and you must complete the full course.

If you have a weakened immune system you may be offered a long-term, daily dose of preventive antibiotics.

If test results show that you have pneumonia caused by a virus, antibiotics will not work and your body will need to fight the infection on its own. It may therefore take longer to recover. However, if you have an infection caused by the chickenpox or herpes viruses, you may be prescribed antiviral drugs if the infection was caught early. You may also need antibiotics if you have a secondary bacterial infection.

If you have fungal pneumonia, you may be given antifungal drugs that you can take as tablets or you may need to take them intravenously.

You should get better at home without needing to go for hospital treatment. Provided you do not have any complications, your symptoms should begin to improve quickly with treatment and generally pneumonia should not cause any long-term damage to your lungs. If you are given drug treatments, let your doctor know if your symptoms do not improve after two days.

Hospital treatment
If you are very ill or your symptoms do not improve after drug treatment, you may need hospital treatment. This is especially important for very young and old people.

The appropriate drug therapy, as well as fluids, will be given to you through a vein (intravenously). To help you breathe, you may be given extra oxygen through a face mask.

Prevention
Stopping smoking and only drinking in moderation can reduce your risk of many illnesses, including pneumonia.

Vaccines
There are immunisations for some infections that can cause pneumonia.

A pneumococcal vaccine can prevent pneumonia caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae infection. There are two pneumococcal vaccines, brand names Pneumovax II and Prevenar. Both of these vaccines are given by injection. This vaccine is recommended to anyone with lung or heart problems and most people only need to have it once. The government plans to introduce this vaccine to the childhood immunisation programme later in 2006 and it is already available to people over 65.
A Haemophilus influenzae type B vaccine ("Hib" vaccine) can prevent you getting flu. This annual vaccination is now given routinely to babies and everybody over age 65, and those with long-term lung, heart or kidney diseases, or with a weakened immune system. You can get vaccinated at your local GP surgery each autumn. Alternatively, they are available from private clinics.

Bacteria, viruses, and sometimes chemical irritants.

emtd65
Rating
Infective pneumonia: Inflammation and infection of the lungs and bronchial tubes that occurs when a bacteria (bacterial pneumonia) or virus (viral pneumonia) gets into the lungs and starts to reproduce.

Aspiration pneumonia: An inflammation of the lungs and bronchial tubes caused by inhaling vomit, mucous, or other bodily fluids. Aspiration pneumonia can also be caused by inhaling certain chemicals

Jayaraman
PNEUMONIA -

Your lungs are two spongy organs surrounded by a moist membrane (the pleura). Each lung is divided into lobes — three on the right and two on the left. When you inhale, air is carried through the windpipe (trachea) to your lungs. Inside your lungs, there are major airways called bronchi. The bronchi repeatedly subdivide into many smaller airways (bronchioles), which finally end in clusters of tiny air sacs called alveoli.

Your body has mechanisms to protect your lungs from infection. In fact, you're frequently exposed to bacteria and viruses that can cause pneumonia, but your body normally prevents most of these organisms from invading and overwhelming your airways. For example, the nasal cilia screen out a lot of organisms but can't stop all from getting into your airways. Sometimes — for reasons that aren't always well understood — these microorganisms can get past your body's defenses, finally finding their way into your lungs' air sacs.

There, white blood cells (leukocytes), a key part of your immune system, begin to attack the invading organisms. The accumulating pathogens, white cells and immune proteins cause the air sacs to become inflamed and filled with fluid, leading to the difficult breathing that characterizes many types of pneumonia. If both lungs are involved, it's called double pneumonia.

Classifications of pneumonia
Pneumonia is sometimes classified according to the cause of pneumonia:

* Community-acquired pneumonia. This refers to pneumonia you acquire in the course of your daily life — at school, work or the gym, for instance.
* Hospital-acquired (nosocomial) pneumonia. If you're hospitalized, you're at a higher risk of pneumonia, especially if you are on a mechanical ventilator, are in the intensive care unit or have a compromised immune system. This type of pneumonia can be extremely serious, especially for older adults, young children and people with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (COPD) or HIV/AIDS.

A common predisposing factor for this type of pneumonia is gastroesophageal reflux. This occurs when some of the contents of your stomach back up into the upper esophagus. From there, the gastroesophageal contents can be aspirated into the trachea and then into your airways. Even very small amounts of gastroesophageal reflux can lead to pneumonia in people who are hospitalized.
* Aspiration pneumonia. This type of pneumonia occurs when foreign matter is inhaled (aspirated) into your lungs — most often when the contents of your stomach enter your lungs after you vomit. This commonly happens when a brain injury or other condition affects your normal gag reflex.

Another common cause of aspiration pneumonia is consuming too much alcohol. This happens when the inebriated person passes out, and then vomits due to the effects of alcohol on the stomach. If someone's unconscious, it's possible to aspirate the liquid contents and possibly solid food from the stomach into the lungs, causing aspiration pneumonia.
* Pneumonia caused by opportunistic organisms. This type of pneumonia strikes people with compromised immune systems. Organisms that aren't harmful for healthy people can be extremely dangerous for people with AIDS, organ transplantation and other conditions that impair the immune system. For example, P. carinii pneumonia almost never occurs in otherwise healthy people. Medications that suppress your immune system, such as corticosteroids or chemotherapy also can put you at risk of opportunistic pneumonia.
* Emerging pathogens. Outbreaks of the H5N1 influenza (bird flu) virus and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) have caused serious, sometimes deadly pneumonia infections, even in otherwise healthy people.-

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Terms of use - Privacy Policy