Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Did you have a parent or spouse die of cancer? How old were they?
My mom died of over a week ago. She died on her 64th birthday. She had breast cancer, but died of sepsis. She was diagnosed 3 years ago and it seems that she suffered for about the last 4 months. ...

Why do we use sunbeds when 100 people die each yr from cancer caused by them?

Lately my left breast has been hurting extremely badly. I turn 16 in 3 months, is it possible I have cancer?
It has been hurting really badly. I have mentioned it to my mother but not in great detail. I turn 16 in about 3 months but is it possible that i may have breast cancer....

How do you get through a loved one suffering badly from cancer?
It's so sad. He has been battling cancer for over 2 years now. No matter what they seem to do it just seems to keep on spreading. It is now in his spine and he is in constant agony even when he ...

Why do we keep on smoking?
when we know it is really bad for ...

My husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer 6 months ago, he seems to be doing well. It's hard to beleive.
It doesn't seem to me like he's only got six months left. How does cancer progress, is it very quick at the end. His cancer is Unknown primary, which means they don't know where it ...

Will I get cancer?
My mom had cancer many times about two years ago, when I was in fifth grade. And I heard that its something you are born with and you inherit from your parents.
Be flat out honest. Am I really ...

There are two cases and you can only choose one. Here they are:?
In one case, there is one billion dollars. In another, there is a vial with the cure for cancer. Your mother has cancer. Would you take the one billion dollars which you would split with you mother ...

Why are cigarettes legal to buy?
I feel cigerettes are just as harmful to ones health as many other drugs, it is a controlled substance, and it causes cancer to others, if one smokes crack and stops there is no after effects, if you ...

Should smoking be banned in public places?
i have an paper to write and i want some opinions....

Why does california think everything will cause cancer

Additional Details
It seems theres so many things that say WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to teh state of C...

Is smoking the only thing that that gives us cancer?
what about all these new waves that are passing through us at any time. stick a reciever in your head and you can listen to the radio watch tv and access the internet! lets not get started on what ...

I've been smoking for likea year or so think i have lung cancer?

If you were around people in a closed invironment smoking pot, would that show up on a drug test?

Why do doctors tell the family of terminally ill patients,'She has a week to live.'?
I think it is unfair.My neighbor's mom is terminal with cancer,and the doctor keeps saying that...now for a month!...

Why can't we find a cure for cancer?

Will it get any easier?
my dad died of bowel and liver cancer 2 months ago and my world has been turned upside down ,my hero has gone ,the person who used 2 guide me through life. It is the hardest thing i have ever had to ...

If I ignore the risks and start drinking and smoking,will I become more popular?

Would this be inconsiderate?
My uncle was diagnosed with lung, colon, and liver cancer. He was given 1-2 weeks to live. He and my aunt keep mentioning, that they will not see their 50th anniversary. It is next month. Would it be ...

If we cured cancer, would that not be a mistake?
I know alot of people may hate me for this question, but if we cured cancer wouldn't that mean big trouble for the rest of us, as the population would increase, countries will become more ...

Matthew J
Hi I am 15 years old and I have smoked 120.5 smokes, 78 being cigarettes, 18 being cigarillos and 22.5 cigars
I quit now and I was wondering if I have done irreversible damage. And dont answer why did you start. SMOKING IS BAD I KNOW JUST ANSWER MY Q

cordelia_chase
Rating
I am sure you did a good amount of damage. And seeing that you are still growing, that probably isn't good either. It's anyone's guess as to how much damage you did. There are people who have smoked their whole lives and never get cancer, or any other negative affects from smoking. And then there are people who smoke for a very short time, and end up with cancer, and other problems. You might be okay, you might not. Only time will tell. It's good that you at least had the mind to quit.

maddi(:
that's terrible!!
smoking ONE cigarette does irreversible damage sweetie.
may God be with you.

.<3. Dani
Probably stuck with you for life <:( sorry, but the build up in your lungs is probably permanent.

Samzta
Rating
Yes there is a possibility you may have long term damage. the symptons can show up now even if you ever feel sick tell someone.
and there are many chemicals in cigarettes so you could have long term damage equivialent to an 80 year old smoking all their life

hope i helped

Casey K
Rating
of course you have done irreversible damage. smoking one cigarette is irreversible damage. but it is great that you are quitting. ; )

my question for you is how come you have counted exactly how many?????

Milka D
Rating
no you smoked that much their is going to be damage and you can irreversible it

Monkey Pig
Rating
Well I am 47, that means I have smoked 578,432 cigs and I am fine ( so far)

wemightfall
Rating
Honestly, it's good that you quit... but you did to irreversible damage.. the best thing to do is to keep up with the quitting or even being around those who smoke!
good luck quitting, i know how tough it can be

astrid h
Yes you already damaged your lungs !!!^^

Danajaan
No, it's not permanent. Since you stopped, the chemicals will gradually be removed and your lungs will be repaired. Also, the risk of lung cancer doesn't start increasing until you smoke about 200 cigarettes a year, so as long as you stay committed to not smoking, you'll be fine.

Kαιℓεγ Jαηε �
Yes it is irreversible. Why on earth did you count ever smoke you had? didn't you ever loose count?

moonrabbit
you may have...
not only with the fact that you're damaging your lungs but more because you may have a very very hard time quitting. Whatever you do, do not pick up another cigarette/whatever you smoke again because you may never be able to stop. And the more time you smoke, the more you'll become addicted.
As for you physical body, there may be some damage done to your lungs, but probably nothing too major. Please stop though

Yasamf
Rating
you will have that much extra tar in your lungs..

amg7613
How on earth do you know that, have you been keeping a list or something? I am impressed!! Putting it into perspective, you have not smoked very much (that seems like a lot, but most people can't count how much they smoke)--quit now, you'll be good. I'm sure there is some sort of irreversible damage somewhere (but not noticeable enough for mankind to ever notice). Hopefully you didn't smoke that much in one day ;)

Find something else to keep track of, that'll help!

MissTNgeorgia
why not start by taking extra vitamin c and a daily vitamin...maybe you should think about some of us out there who have cancer and never smoked you are young and with any luck and more brains you'll stay healthy

faisal_fesi
well at the age of 15 when human body still in process of getting stronger, you really have done irreversible damage to ur body.. but the other side is that you have quited it...thats good..now you should keep in touch with a doctor for a good period of time so that u many able to regain your health....

sirprizeme139
Congratulations on quitting! Keep it up. (And check out this website for an answer)

God Bless.

R

TaeGeuk
it takes about 7 years for you to clear your lungs and everything. It is good you stopped, there probably isn't a whole lot of damage but ou might have upped your chances of getting cancer a little.

lizzie bo bizzieee. :)
Rating
i heard if you stop, after 7 years you have the body of a non-smoker.

well its 7 years or something like that...

unknown.darkness
Everyone is different. But sounds like you didn't smoke that much. But I'd go confront a doctor anyways just to make sure your lungs are doing well.

wanderingshopper
Rating
Your best bet would be to go to your doctor and let him test your lungs etc to find out what damage has been done.

answering
your fine don't worry and be happy that you gave it up.... I really wish that I could count how many cigs I had in my entire life, if I'm to do that I'll probably need to hold the zero button for like five minutes.. that is definitely irreversible!

NyxiValentine
well honey, i know how tempting it is to start at your age. im not much older than you and i did for awhile and realised what a filthy habit it is. Congrats on quitting though! i know how hard it can be. i asked my doctor the same question and he told me that since i quit shortly after i started, i had and will pretty much ALWAYS have extra toxins in my lungs. it sux, but thems the breaks. ok, breakdown, you should just have some gunk in your lung tissue and it may not cause major harm down the road but i cant be sure.Again, well done on quitting! hope that helps!

*muah*

Nyxi

Brooklyn NYC
Rating
It is very unlikely that you have done any permanent damage, as this is not that much that you have smoked. Now, if you continued smoking often for many years, some big damage could result, but for a handful of smokes, no worries.

While no smoking is healthy smoking, there is a threshold where your risk just does not really increase, and you are well below that threshold.

Eve
Congratulations for quitting. I don't think you will suffer too badly for it. It will take a year to get your lungs fully clean if that's all you've smoked. It's terrible you know. Can cause all kinds of nasty stuff the longer you smoke so good for you!

They say it takes three years for every year that you've smoked for your lungs to rid themselves of the tar built up etc.

You should be just fine.

Jordan
Rating
No, you didn't do permanent damage. The tar will take years to clear out, and the damage will repair slowly, but it will heal completely.

NeverWalkAlone
Rating
You have.

But at least you got to look cool in front of your friends, eh?

[sarcasm is for winners]

Anna Ranger
Rating
This is strange that you have kept track of the numbers. After 10 years of not smoking and not being around ANY smoke, your lungs completely heal. You, luckily, are not in all that bad of shape has you haven't smoked TOO much. Within a few weeks, you should see your lung capacity rising and your sense of smell and taste becoming very strong.

BilliZane
Wow...it's amazing that you kept track like that! Well there is good news for you my friend. If you quit now your body and lungs will recover. Any damage that may have occured you are most likely not even going to notice at your age but if you never do it again all effects could be history in a couple of years. Hope everything works out for you.

DrosseL
you kept track?

moongirl1292
Rating
if you just quit and u will never do it again
i dont think it wil do much damage since u are 15 years old

u made the right choice in stopping

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.134
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy