Why is it some people are skinny even without exercising? I even see them eat more than what I eat?

I am doing exercises and eat less but still overweight?...

I am doing exercises and eat less but still overweight?

jljdc
genetics and metabolism

Elizabeth B
Rating
Some people just have faster metabolisms. After about age 30, most people will get slower metabolisms if they are sedentary due to the loss of muscle.

What kinds of exercises are you doing? I am a personal trainer and tell my clients that in order to lose weight, they need to not only do at least 45 min. of strength training at least twice a week, but they need to do cardio 5-6 days a week (at least 30 minutes total but more is even better...even splitting it up throughout the day if you have to).

It is essential to mix things up. Don't walk the same route every day; do a day of hills, or a day of walking faster, or try running for a few minutes. Do the elliptical for 20 minutes and then get on the treadmill. Keep your body guessing so it does not plateau. Plateauing is a survival mechanism; the body figures out a way to do the same work more efficiently so it doesn't lose too much weight. Unfortunately, this happens to people who need or want to lose weight, which is one reason why people give up on exercise. Don't do this, though! Just do something different! Make your cardio more intense. Change things up frequently.

Keep in mind that the people on the weight loss reality shows work their butts off. They run, do the elliptical machine, walk fast up hills, etc. for at least an hour a day and then hit the weights as well.

Eating too little can cause your metabolism to slow down, as well as skipping meals, especially breakfast. What you eat is a big deal too. If you are eating stuff that is low in fat but that is full of sugar, processed and prepackaged, that is not going to help you in losing weight. Eating whole foods, choosing cereals and whole grain breads that are high in fiber, and making water your #1 beverage (instead of sodas, coffee drinks, and even diet drinks) is a good choice. Most people eat portion sizes that are way over the top, and they also drink lots of calories, such as coffee drinks. A Frappucino can have over 700 calories, and a "healthy" smoothie from one of the popular smoothie places can have as many calories as you need for one day! Drinking your calories doesn't keep you full, and you will find yourself reaching for something to satisfy later.

Portion sizes in the US are so out of control that it is very hard to eat out often and lose or maintain weight. Split your entree with your date or pal, or have the server wrap up half the entree. Anything that is "crispy", "creamy", etc. is bad news. Even vegetables are often slathered in butter. Have the server not even bring out the bread basket. The bread usually has no fiber and will not keep you satisfied; plus, you may not pay attention to just how much bread you are consuming.

If you feel like you are eating pretty well, keeping a food diary for at least a week can help you see where you may be going wrong. Making small fixes, such as having one cookie instead of three, or skipping the butter on your toast, or having half a roll instead of two, can make a huge difference.

I am one of the "skinny" ones. I will tell you that I am always on the move. I do have a supercharged metabolism, but I also have been running and weight lifting for years, and lifting weights can turn you into a calorie burning machine. Shape magazine and Fitness magazine have some great plans for eating, weight lifting and cardio that can help! You don't have to have a personal trainer, personal chef, or personal nutritionist to be successful!

serenity seeker
me too and I hate it...they eat ice cream and chips and chocolate...and are skinny...here's me eating air and bottled water ....it's all down to genes and metabolism

Sue Chef
Metabolism. It seems unfair but it is just the way they are born.

Iomegan
Fact...larger, fatter people have HIGHER metabolism. (larger body mass=more metabolism)

Difference is thin people do more exercise and eat less.

sorry to burst your bubble.

Slow Metabolism Makes You Fatter
We've all heard for years that people who are thin have won the biological lottery. They look like they can eat whatever they want without gaining a pound. We think they're lucky to have a high metabolism.

"It's generally false that your metabolism is the reason for your weight," said Oz. "And this has been looked at numerous times."

To figure this out, we turned to Dr. Jim Levine, an obesity researcher at the Mayo Clinic, who's studied the metabolism of lean and heavy people, such as lean Kathy Strickland and a heavier Dawn Campion.

"Dawn's numbers are actually higher because we find continuously is that people with weight problems who have obesity have a higher basal metabolism compared to people who are lean," Levine said.

"Your basal metabolism is the calories you burn to keep your body going, so if your body is bigger of course your basal metabolism is greater," Levine said. "If your body is smaller your basal metabolism is less."

So if a slow metabolism isn't solely to blame, why is it some poeple gain weight and others don't. "People with obesity have a tendency to be seated, a natural tendency to be seated for two-and-a-half hours per day more," Levine said.

It adds up tp 350 calories a day or 30 to 50 pounds a year. Dr. Levine says it isn't about sweating at the gym. It's simple things like walking to your car or playing with your kids Levine believes people can combat obesity by simply moving more. Even standing up at your desk can increase your metabolism by up to 40 percent if you're moving around.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2109291&page=1

"Slow Metabolism Makes You Fatter"

"We're talking about shaking up everything we do because we have no choice in it," Dr. Jim Levine said. "Obesity is collapsing corporations in America, but much more importantly, it's devastating our health and it's taking over our children. We have no choice but to do something. We have no choice but to do something big."

largepepperonipizzawithbacon
yeah I dont know... my coworker eats pizza everyday and drink coke! and she told me she eat out every nite! I ask her what's her secret and she said, "I drink straight alcohol with coke *****!" and "maybe I get too drunk and run around alot and that's how I get my exercise!"

Cheers!

♥мαи∂ιѕ♥
Rating
they have a high metabolism...and they kinda control of how they eat...they eat healthy alot.. and they go walking...everyone exercises...by walking in where they need to go. But you should diet and eat more fruits and vegies...through out the day...servings of vegies...not sure...ask doctor...and fruits...like 3-6 servings a day. And exercise at leat 30minutes or longer a day...by walking on a bike path or jogging...and exercising at a local gym near you. This all helps and it will make you feel 100% better than you felt. So watch what you eat, and how much. Don't eat alot of greesey foods...that can increase your weight.

bebeeangeldust
High metabolism. It comes from your genes. I'm underweight and I look anorexic, but I inherited the skinny gene from my mom, who only weighs 95 lbs even tho she eats a lot. Even if I eat a lot of fatty foods, I still look anorexic. Don't be jealous tho. Underweight ppl still get teased as much as overweight ppl.

Pratik
They have a higher metabolism than most people. Just by doing mundane everyday type of things, they burn more calories and fat than most people. It sucks to not be them, the bastards.

jayk795
because they have a high matabolizm

ceedean2489
Rating
metabolism and hereditary
Im just like that and have a problem gaining weight

mckennareadingreading
well some people are like that and some aren't but however you are you are so pretty because god made you!!!! so don't that's what i did once but it was hard because i was not use to it so just stay the.

poeticjustice
It has something to do with genetics and how their bodies are built.

sheldon
It is there metabolism.

perplexed
Rating
they have the metabolism that the rest of us wish we did!!! but being skinny does not mean they are healthy. Keep up the hard work, it will happen for you, it may take longer but if you stick with it, you will get there!!! =)

mwk
its all related to their metabolism. Some people dont gain weight even if they it a cow! Other people gain weight just by eating tky or something light.

Veronica 182
Rating
i dont know but i eat more than i excercise and everyone wants to know why i dont gain weight it really bugs me. well at least nobody calls me anorexic cuz im always eating

herbie36f
It has to do with metabolism and yer body! Not everyones body is the same nor does everyones body burn fat at the same rate. They may not exercise BUT they may spend more time on their feet than you do they may eat just the same BUT they may eat different foods than what you eat. Food lower in carbs help you to lose weight more quickly. The more carbs you eat the more weight you will gain. Carbs store sugars and fat in your body. Drink lots of water and watch your carb intake do not eat more than 65 carbs a day and you will start to lose weight. DO NOT drink regular sodas as those are full of sugar and carbs and calories.

Kadi Bug
Rating
it takes time
just keep doing what your doing
it will get the way you like it sooner or later

cathy f
It is jusy their metabolism. Some people are more apt to burn off calories with out doing any exercises or dieting

tothemax75
This is what I've heard before:
some people are just built bigger...you should talk to your doctor if you're actually overweight and you're exercising and eating right. Oh, and by the way it's not healthy to eat "less". It's healthy to eat healthy! Talk to your doctor, he/she's smarter than anyone on Yahoo Answers!
Good luck to you.

Blessed
high metabolism

Confused
It could be in your genes or you have a fast metabolism or both.

ur mom
Metabolism. Some peoples bodies burn fat quicker than others.

Bad Kitty!
Genetics. Or maybe WHAT they are eating.

bedofrosesforus
Rating
The reason for that is its all metabolism some people's are higher then others therefore they burn calories alot faster hope i was able to help

WHO_WHAT
I am 24 and have never been over 160 lbs my whole life. I eat 5 huge meals every day, and yet i never get above 160. I been told I have a motab of a 15 year old

jamesdkral
Rating
Some people have higher metabolism, and I think that genes are part of it also.

Lion
their bodies burn the food high metabolism

Luis T
cause they made a deal with Satan

knowbuddycares
Rating
its innate characteristic.