Hi there, I am doing the same thing at the moment, and looking possibly to get involved in a group more actively to help me stay motivated (having someone around who's working towards the same goals is always good!):
There is a calculator on there that will tell you how many calories that you're going to be needing to put on weight. It's not easy, and if you're like me, you'll find it hard to eat more, but splitting up meals throughout the day, and planning ahead is a good idea.
A really good website to track your progress nutrition wise is: www.fitday.com
It's not a good idea to eat stupid amounts of food, and put on weight too quickly. Any body change is best done gradually. Know what you want to be (within reason - every body has limits), but you know what looks healthy and doesn't, and if in doubt, check your BMI out for a rough guide. I myself weigh about 117 lbs, and I'm really slim. Being a boy, I think I look a bit scrawny, though I am an athletic person.
best of luck! A good place to start with anything like this is to find like-minded people. remember: "Like attracts like"
I'm forever trying to gain weight myself! Stop obsessing about it though! Weight gain is something that isn't easy to do and you probably know this already. I know first hand because it is something I have to do every day. I am an ectomorph by genetics, which is the "skinny body type" and the one with the fast metabolism which makes gaining so hard for girls like me. There is one thing that is important when it comes to how to gain weight, and that is your diet.
So, to put it as simply as possible, there are 5 simple steps to how to gain weight, and here they are:
1) Count how many calories you eat in a normal day. Don't change anything, just eat like you normally would and count how many calories you consumed. This is an extremely important step, so try to be as exact as possible. Also, weigh yourself.
2) Starting the day after you counted calories, eat 500 calories MORE then you normally do. So, lets pretend that the day you counted calories you counted 2000. For the rest of the week, you would now eat 2500 calories a day. Instead of eating 3 big meals a day or eating all day all the time, spread those calories out over 5-6 smaller meals. Eat one meal every 2 and a half to 3 hours. To get big, you have to eat big! Remember that.
3) Weightlifting! Get in the gym and lift! This is another important step to how to gain weight, so make sure you are doing it correctly. For more information on weightlifting workout routines and splits, read the workout routines and splits section.
4) At the end of that week, weigh yourself. You'll notice you're gaining just after one week! Now, don't expect to see a 10lb increase. Gaining anymore then 1 or 2 pounds a week is unhealthy and means you're putting on way to much fat. So look for 1 or 2 pound gains at the end of the week. Don't sound like much? You can be gaining 5-8 pounds a month!
5) Heres an important one. At some point, you will stop seeing weight gain. At this point, you will have to eat even more. So, when you stop gaining for at least 2 weeks, it means it is time to start eating an extra 250 calories a day. Every time you see you haven't gained weight for at least 2 weeks, add an extra 250 calories.
More tips for how to gain weight (extremely important!)
- Stay away from bad fat! Even though weight gain is your goal, you don't want to be gaining fat and eating junk. Get rid of the chips and candy. No more fast food, nothing fried. Stick to high protein, low (saturated) fat foods like tuna fish (and other seafood), chicken breast, turkey, lean meats, rice, pasta, fruits and vegetables, nuts, flax seed oil, etc. (For more information, go here: Diet Plans And Diets)
- Track your progress! Weighing yourself once a week is extremely important, but so is figuring out if the weight you are gaining is muscle or fat. In order to know this information, you need to also track your body fat percentage!
- WATER! Drink water! Drink around a half gallon a day, more if you can. Yes that's a lot of water, but it's that water that will give you the energy you need to gain that weight!
- Sleep! YES! Sleep! The easiest, yet most over looked step. Get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. You're gonna need it!