Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Skin Conditions
Health Discussion Forum

My arms just fallen off, what should I do??
It hurts quite a bit, and I havent got a plaster big enought to cover it....

Should it be made illegal to have tanning boothes in the U.S.?
I know alot of people like to get a good tan, but man those things are dangerous. We get enough sun as it is with global warming and the sun. You can get skin cancer and age faster with a bad enough ...

Why do my lips constantly need chap stick?
i cant go one day without my lips getting chapped and its always been like that for like 8 years. what can i do so they dont be so chapped anymore? go to the doc? why is my lips like this? thanks for ...

How do i tell him he has nits?
i recently noticed my boyfriend had nits.. seeing them moving about on his head scared the life out of me =] however, we havent been together long, and I'm not sure how to bring it up or how he&#...

My head is itchy its not lice and its not ring worms wat the hell is it?
some answers would be very ...

My husbands hands are all dry and chapped is it a lack of vitamin c ? What cream can you recommend?

Can you get burned or tan in water?

Does being a virgin have anything to do with acne?

How do i get rid of acne witout goin 2 da doctor?

Is milk really good for you?
I have white spots on my fingernails and one on my tooth and someone told me it's because i dont drink enough milk, but i was also told milk gives you zits....
what are those white spots? ...

This is something my brother said............?
"Dont use my comb, I have dandruff and its contagious"
That just doesnt sound right--but is he right? Will I start to develop dandruff from using his comb on my scalp?...

How can I stop this itching!?!?!?!?
Okay, today (Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008), I finally got sick of it.
I got a sunburn on July 4th from going out on a sandbar and swimming, it peeled over, and I'm left with sunspots and ...

If your skin color become yellowish, does it means I have already hepa b?
when I close my hand very hard, the yellowish color appears, so im so worried if I have hepa ...

I hav acne problem, i used so many expensive ointments and creams but nothing seem to help, what shall i do?

My daughters suffer with terrible head lice, Ive tried all sorts to get rid of them, Im at my wits end!!?

I have very dry skin especially on my hands. Is there a goood cream that i can use.?
Also my skin is extreamly sensitive. Currently I use nivea cream....

How do you get rid of hickies!!!?
plzzzz help!!!!...

Should your sun burn itch?

Is there a reson people get dandruff?
I mean, why do i ave dandruff that you can just shake out off my head,but when you look REALY close on someones scalp it has just tiny little flakes....

How can u get rid of stretch marks?

bottlerockets87
Does scratching spread hives?
ive had an allergic reaction to something that i dont even know what it is. but no matter, ive been itchy for 2 days now and the knock off benadryl isnt working. i just just curious if scratching your hives, then touching a different area of your body would spread hives like poison ivy. anyway, any general advice on hives would help as well :(

Dark Goddess
Rating
YES!!!! I have hives from some thing I do not even know what it is...it has to do with really cold water when I go swimming, and when I scratch and then scratch some place else it does spread it!!!! Youhave to make sure you really wash your hands, use some hydrcortison cream...hives are a reaction to something that your body has come in contact with that it is trying to rid itself of.....washing your hands is very key!!! Ask a pharmacist what else you can use but I would start with a low does of hydrocortison cream and if that is not working then move up to like 2%..good luck

Muffin
Yes the more you scratch the worse the rash becomeas

JAMES
Probably, Chinese Medician can help you.
The Chinese medical products in the form of powder which contained Calcium and something else can help you.
However you should follow instructions.
Less will be no effect, more will be harmful to you health.
Usually, 50% of maximum daily allowance will be subjested (wv).
Usually, don't use it for more than ten days or less.Otherwise, you should consult the chinese docters.

kimberleibenton
Rating
It would spread if your allergic reaction is from poision ivy or some other plant, But you should not scratch as you might give the area an infection. If you have taken the benydryl for two days, go and see your doctor. You may need something stronger like steroids

emmy1024
Rating
Scratching hives doesn't necessairly spread them, but it does make them flare up and get even itchier. If you ever have trouble breathing, get hold of an EpiPen. It's this portable shot that opens airways and gets rid of REALLY, REALLY severe hives.
Thing is, if you've had those hives for two days, that ain't too good. If I were you, I'd get to a dermatologist as soon as I could, because things that look like hives don't have to be hives...
I really hope everything clears up soon.

clowmy
Hi Bottle, My daughter had hives before.Yes if you scratch they will spread. You need to see your doctor,that's the only way you will get rid of the terrible hives.You will scratch yourself to death,if you don't go to the doc.

Clowmy

roburo2002
It would spread and make your condition worse it could be a food allergy.

Dolly
Yes! What you need to have the doctor prescribe is methaprednisilone. It is a one week pack. Also doc should prescribe Idocaine oitment USP. 5% . It is only available in prescription and it will take the itch away. I am illergic to bug bites and i scratch really bad especially get swollen in the woods so keep the Lidocaine oitment around, make sure it is the oitment and it comes in a tube -35.44g (one and one quarter Oz. tube gel.) USA. If you don't have the money for the doctor ask the doc to call it in and in the mean time, use some calamine lotion or some cortisone cream. However, it won't be as good until you get the real med. Good luck.

worldstiti
yes they spread and if you break the skin you can get infection see pharmacist if you can't afford a doctor

drshorty
It depends on the cause of the hives.

Your example of poison ivy is a good one. There is a chemical in the ivy that gets on your skin, and that causes the allergic reaction. If you scratch poison ivy, you could spread the chemical around, and that would cause the allergic reaction to spread also.

If the hives are caused by something else (say, something internal or psychosomatic) then they probably wouldn't spread by scratching. But you should still avoid scratching them, because you can damage your skin and leave wounds that could potentially get infected.

I'm sorry your allergy medicine isn't working. Another allergy medicine that you might try is Claritin (or its generic equivalent). You can also see a doctor and get a prescription for something stronger. Traditional remedies like calamine lotion or a bath with oatmeal might help too.

Fiona M
you need to see a docotor before it spreads all over you....b/c if you keep on scratchin thats what is going to happen to you.

suzie D
here below is a web site that has information on the hives there is a t least 4 pages maybe it will help

Brainiac
Rating
Itching for 2 days and antihisitmine does not work? see your doctor - it may not be what you think it is -

Pegasus90
If the hives are due to candida (yeast) fungus, then yes, you could spread it by scratching.

Check out www.hufa.org - the yeast link - for info on what to do. Basically, short term, anti fungal cream.

Long term, a diet that discourages yeast overgrowth.

German
Rating
ya, it does!!!!!!!

nwnativeprincess
Rating
mine never did. i would say "no".

kerrilynnd
Rating
Itching will not make them spread, but it will irritate them. Don't worry, they will spread on their own. You should take an oatmeal bath, and see the dr as soon as possible, they can give you a Benadryl shot. They work great! Make sure someone drives you though, they won't let you drive yourself after the shot (it knocks you out).

zen_wolf12
Rating
Yes. Try to put some Calimine lotion, or some other anti-itch lotion on your hives.

Paige J
Rating
yes ....

ESweetPea
No, hives don't spread like a regular rash, but scratching them can definitely irritate the ones you have. I only got hives once, and I scratched them because they itched like burning hell and I really should have kept my hands off them. They would have healed faster if I hadn't roughed them up more. I've never had ANYTHING itch so bad, not even chickenpox! And I don't even know what caused them. I've had allergic reactions to lots of things, but I only had actual hives just the one time.

You have to keep things caaaaaalllllmmmm. Yeah, I know, that's hard to do right now. But your reaction to the allergen will only be exacerbated by freaking out. Sooooothe yourself. Keep things clean, but don't use any harsh chemicals (like cleaning supplies or harsh detergents, stuff like that) and put on some steroid cream or some pain-killer ointment. Yeah. Use the pain-killing ointment first. One with a topical anesthetic. That might help.

And if you get worse or this plague doesn't go away, seek help! Don't suffer more than you have to. Sorry to hear about your hives--once was more than enough for me and I don't EVER want them again! They were horrible! Get better soon, OK?

lump58
Rating
First thing tomorrow call your doctor. You need to be seen by a physician because hives is nothing to play with. The Benadryl should have helped, but since it hasn't and it has been over 2 days then something else needs to be tried.

Hives should not be scratched - no they don't spread because of itching - just makes em more irritated. Put a cold compress on the hives. Hot baths and showers should be avoided because the heat bring the hives our worse. Drink plenty of water. Hives can be in your throat just waiting for you to sneeze and close up your tubes - scary? Hives is nothing to play with if they are large and over a good amount of your body. Cold helps unless you are sensitive to cold - I get hives from cold wind - my eyes swell shut.

Relax, don't scratch, and listen to some nice easy tunes till you can call your doctor.

sexytrojan
YES!

Hives are a result of an excessive release of histamines into your bloodstream.

This is caused by something you ate (for me, everything but green vegetables).

Taking an antihistamine such as Benedryl will cure this.

Since benedryl is not working for you, try Calritan, or call your MD and ask her for Hismanol.

For immediate and temporary relief, take a cold shower. The cold will shrink your blood vessels (capillaries) thus removing the histamines from your skin surface.

welch1198
Rating
I dont think so...unless whats causing the hives is touching that part of your skin. when I get really overheated they just show up...I have to take Zyrtec and Syngulair (sorry dont remember spelling of it) every day to control it. Works wonderfully! Good luck! I know how annoying hives can be! Best thing to do when I get them is take as cold a shower as I can stand....in combination with real Benadryl!

Why Not!
I get hives from time to time, and yes when I scratch them they seem to spread......

I am a Muppet
Rating
Go to a doctor and get checked out. Benadryl should work. It worked for me the one and only time I broke out in hives. To this day I don't know what it was but scratching only made it feel worse. It made me feel hideous it was all over my face too. Just be careful with the benadryl, I remember taking a nap on my lunch break for work because it made me so drowsy and I didn't wake up tilll my shift was over. It should work, just keep using it till it goes away, but for sure go to your doctor. I'm sorry about the torture you are feeling. Wish you the best.

ItsyBitsySpiderMamma
Rating
You've got lots of good advice here and I just had to add mine because I suffer from hives-- diagnosed as 'ideopathic urticara'- for months at a time.
The best advice my dermatologist ever gave me: Don't scratch. When you scratch your cells burst and release histamines... you may find yourself swollen. I have had this condition to the point of being disfigured and in the ER being pumped full of steroids.
(don't let anyone prescribe steroids to stop your reaction unless it's life threatening, this could cause a rebound effect)
My advice: Don't drive yourself insane trying to find a cause to your hives. The immune system is a mystery.
Your doctor will help you find the right histamine blocker. All those anti-histamines out there block differently... you have to experiment until one works for you. In my case, it's Allegra-- you could also try Zyrtec or Claritin. (Those are the big three used to combat hives.)
Also, use a cool pack to keep the hotspots from drving you insane. Avoid hot showers, use a bath oil after bathing and PAT dry-- do NOT rub!
Good luck

XX_PuNK CHiCK_XX
Rating
yes!! so don't scratch and if you scratch they become worst. what you should buy is calming creame it is this lotion that keeps you from scratching you can get it at wal-mart,walgreens,cvs for about $6.00 bucks well good luck!!!

Just_gone
Rating
They can become infected.
Have you tried Zyrtec?
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/117/112625.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hives
I hope that this helps!

nodoc
It doesn't spread the hives per say. You can flare up an area of unaffected skin by scratching it - it's called the Koebner phenomenon.

bellydoc
Hives will not spread with scratching, because hives are a manifestation of what is happening to you broadly across your whole system. The inflammatory skin lesions of contact dermatitis (things like poison oak) WILL spread, because you're spreading the irritant. I used to get mirror image implants of poison oak above and below the crease in the skin at my elbow!

If you think you've had an allergic reaction and it remains persistant, it could mean that the irritant hasn't been removed. I recommend you seek the attention of a qualified physician directly because this may require prescription medication to control. Allergic reactions can be very dangerous if they are left to get out of control... and that's assuming that you're correct about your problem being allergic in nature!

For people who have the tendency to have strong allergic reactions, there should be perscription medication available at all times in order to avoid a life threatening situation. A product called an "epi-pen" is available which is a automatic self injecting shot of epinephrine. This can absolutely save lives.

Good luck, it sounds miserable.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, December 18, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy