Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Skin Conditions
Health Discussion Forum

Acne Help?????????????
So, I get the usual.. pimples, blackheads.. you know? I would really like to clear my face of it all, and have pretty, flawless skin. I don't have a horrible case of it, but how can I get rid of ...

Dose anybody know anything about psoriasis (pronounced so-ri-is-is)!!?
my whole body is covered in psoriasis,its like all these really sore, red, dry, cracked patches on my skin.
my legs,belly and arms are all destroyed with it and untill not to long ago my face ...

Acne, what's the best treatment?
What is the beast treatment for acen, i have tried all that clearisil stuff, and the rest, but i cant find anything any good. I suppose its just something i have to put up with!...

Poison ivy help plzzz?
what to do anything that can be made at home really itchy plzzz ...

What's a really good acne face wash?

Oily skin?
My skin is horribally OILY! and I can't stand it's gross I'm willing to spend a huge amount of money to get rid of it.. and I was also wondering about black heads? any tips of how to ...

How do i get rid of sunburn fast?????
HELP! ...

A dry, hard spot/lump on my upper thigh? Is it anything serious?
It's about 1cm in diameter, and is 2 inches from the top of my leg. It started off as a normal spot, just red, but has grown and is itchy. If I pick it by accident, then it hurts for a long ...

Psoriasis sufferers?
I suffer really badly with psoriasis all over my scalp which is minging! on my stomach on my legs on my elbows and now on my back.It cleared up totally when i was pregnant but i dont want to do that ...

9 days of poison ivy/sumac and its getting worse?
can anyone help me out w/ this? Miserable!
Need someone to recommend an alternative remedie for the insane itching. This stuff is migrating up the front of my legs, and becomming more ...

Get rid of blackheads!?
i have a lot on my nose.
i use clinic 3 step, and its kinda working.

but what are some home products you can use?
that will for sure get rid of them....

What would cause my 3.5 year old daughter to have a rash on legs and tops of feet that only occurs at night?
For the past two nights my daughter has woken up with a skin rash on her feet and upper legs that looks like small white bumps and its very itchy. No fever. No mouth sores. No severe redness. Skin ...

I have bumps on my tongue and they are painful what could it be?

Skin in Backside of Hand is dry and seems like i have cuts without even knowing it, is it cold weather?
These past days it has been cold here in California.

I do have a job dealing with papers and documents, filing and all that. But I usually never have contact in the back of the hand. ...

I have a mole on my left shoulder?
Should I bear through the pain and rip it off or let a doctor do it and let them check for cancer. How would I go about ripping it off, cutting it with scissors, or pulling with hands?
A...

Should I be popping out white stuff?
After I did number 2, I saw a small whitish-cotton looking thing on it.
A lil eeewy about that....

How to prevent fleas or get rid of them?
My boyfriend's room mate is absolutely DIRTY! He brought in a stray cat and no one wanted it around but he kept it around. It peed in his bed he didn't care, it pooped in the tub and ...

Got a very painful spot on chin with no head on it!?
it looks like ive grown another head on my chin i cannot squeeze it ,its agony the slightest knock kills,any ideas what to do?...

I'm a 14 year old boy and I have a moderate case of acne. What's the best treatment for this?
I have acne on my chin, and both sides of my face. It's mainly red, a few whiteheads here and there but I only have blackheads on my nose. Proactiv doesn't work for me and I recently ...

Do i have a cheeto on my face?

resaa<3
Does antibiotic cream help cure cold sores?
if so how long does it take? thankss[=
Additional Details
i've never had chicken pox, and the sore is already open so i guess using the cream will help keep it clean [=

M Willis
No, but an RX for Acyclovir will help cold sores heal faster. If taken at the first "tingling" sensation, it will even prevent the cold sore from forming. My physician gives me an RX so I can have it filled, and take it as soon as the thingling sensation begins. This makes life so much easier.

Robin0209
In my experience with antibiotic cream, no.
I use carmex or abreva. Carmex, I think is better
at getting rid of cold sores. You can buy it at wal-mart
for a cpl of dollars.....

andrea s
Rating
no i don't think that there is anything in it to help dry them up.....carmex works great on them...and its cheap...

none n
Rating
No, it will not. Cold sores are caused by a type of herpes virus, therefore rendering it a viral infection (the same type of malady as a common cold - which antibiotics also will not work for.) Antibiotics are used for bacterial infections - like pimples, dental abcesses, pinkeye, and strep throat.
It's not the same type of infection, so those meds designed for bacterica will not work on a virus.
Bugs vs. Cells, basically.

shindisensei
Rating
There are specific creams (many brands) now that work on the virus which causes cold sores (the herpes virus). It is not an OTC medication, so you'd have to get a prescription from a doctor. It works - 100% - but is a bit prohibitive in price, but the tube should last a long time because you use it sparingly.

Nikki G
Rating
no i think u need speicial stuff for that. idk wat stuff, but i think you do need special stuff.

deanna b
Rating
The only thing an antibiotic does for cold sores is to take care of any bacterial infection but the real cause of most cold sores is the Herpes virus which is inside your body floating around until you are under stress then it can cause a sore...the natural immune system you have will take care of the infection unless it isn't working properly...and when you do use an antibiotic that will suppress your immune system too...so it is best to use an immune enhancer like Echanecea to increase your resistance because there is no other cure for the herpes virus...you probably got that virus from having chicken pox as a child...

Marion F
Not really. Cold sores are caused by a herpes virus. There is a special cream out that is for cold sores. It doesn't cure it, but it reduces the length of duration. It is also contagious, so please don't share your glass or kiss someone while you have an active cold sore. And never share your lipstick with someone else. This also goes if you don't have one, but you know someone who has one.

whyme
Rating
Cold sores are a herpes simplex virus type 1.
Antibiotics work on bacterial infections not on viral infections.

Growl
Some cold sores are caused by bacteria in which case an antibiotic cream may help. But many are caused by the herpes virus. Antiviral medications such as Valtrex are needed for herpes.

Dashing Geek
No, antibiotic cream will not help, as cold sores are caused by a virus, not a bacterium. There is a product called Abreva that will help, and your doctor can prescribe Valtrex if you need it.

unstephenk
Rating
The virus usually spreads through person-to-person contact. It can also be caught through contact with saliva, bowel movements, urine, or fluid from an infected eye. The blisters carry infection until they heal. You can't cure cold sores.

honhill
No. Antibiotics are for bacteria. Cold sores are caused by a virus, usually herpes simplex. Abreva is currently the best over the counter treatment available and can be found at most drugstores and discount stores for anywhere from $12-17 If you have frequent breakouts, a doc can prescribe medication you take everyday that lessens the recurrence. The most important thing is to avoid sun exposure around the lip area. Wear lip balm or lipstick with sunscreen.

De'ville
Rating
No. A cold sore is caused by a virus out break. It will help prevent secondary infections due to the open wound.

Robert R
Rating
If you use abreva and actually follow the instructions I find I never have one last more then 4-5 days and its apearence is much better as well.

Gernot S
No - antibiotics don't work against viruses and a cold sore is a viral infection.

kajmal
It helps an open sore heal, but it doesn't help 'cure' them.. nothing will. The best cold sore cream in the world is Abreva.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy