Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Help! i'm super sick!?
i have a Horrible cough, its full of flem. chest pains, with presure. i have a bad sore throat. my voice is super scratchy, and almost a whisper. i have a stuffy nose. and swollen glands right under ...

How do you calm yourself during a panic attack?
I'm going through a really rough time in my life right now and often have moments where my heart races and my chest hurts like it's caving in. Does anyone have any coping methods to help me?...

How many of you smoke, stoped smoking or dont smoke?
i need at least 50 ...

What is the best way to rid of constipation ?

People smoke outside, outside my office door but all the smoke drifts in. I'm a non smoker. What can I do ??

Is marijuana bad for you in any way? Can it do anything harmful to you besides your lungs?

Additional Details
IM doing a research essay on effects of Marijuana....

What if a person with asthma were to smoke?
i used to hav asthma but havnt had symptoms for yrs, my mom says i outgrew it and was wondering what would happen if i started to smoke. ive heard lots of poeple say they hav asthma but still smoke......

Do I have a drink problem?
50 years old, male, 14 binge drinking sessions this year - cannot remember much. Have lost my driving licence for 3 years. Family think I have chronic problem - I think I can control it - I can go 2 ...

How can you make your child stop smoking pot?

Should I go to work today?
I've been out all week because I've had the most horrible, miserable cold. Well, today, I feel more or less okay - just snuffly with occasional coughing and sneezing. I could certainly ...

Poll about Smoking?
Are you a :
Smoker
Non Smoker
Quitter {how long?}
Your opinion on smoking in general?...

Why cigarretes are addictive?
The stimulanting effects of nicotine:...

Whats the best way to start smoking?

Anyone else dreading the smoking ban?
especially in london the weather is so crap and going outside for a ciggie means drowning in the rain!...

I dont know what to do.....plz help?
im sorry i keep asking similar questions but i told my mum i couldnt breath properly and she said she wont take me to the doctors because she says its nothin
i cant breath properly and i ...

Is there anything to make you feel better when you are sick and have alot of flem in your throat?
any tea or drink or anything?...

What colour is blood when it is not exposed to air????
we have one person who thinks it is red when not exposed to oxygen and another who thinks it is clear what is it?...

My brother did this?
my brother marked me 7 times with a PERMENT black marker
now i feel weak and i fanited 2 times wats wrong with ...

Quiting smoking pot???? 2?
i just asked a ? about my lungs itching... i smoked pot everyday for 5 years and never had no lung pains but i quit like 3 weeks ago and now my lung itch and i was just taking a shawer and i hacked ...

PLEASE READ THIS........i need help!!!!?
about a week ago, i went to my cabin i inhaled "dust off" and now i think i'm delvoping asthma.
CAN THAT HAPPEN???
me and my friend shared a whole can, neither of us died or ...

Meggan's Mum
Why is it that smokers don't consider everyone else?
I used to smoke so know what it's like to be addicted, also know that you can quit, but why are smokers unable to see what their smoking does to the rest of us. I know that as from the 1st July smoking is banned in public places but it really makes me cross when smokers tell me that it is their right to smoke in front of me. Not only do I have to inhale their excess smoke but go home with my clothes smelling so much I have to hang it outside before I wash it. Why are they so selfish that they mind this ban. Would appreciate some of the smokers out there telling me why I should put up with their habit, and don't tell me that I can drink elsewhere if I don't like smoking because the answer to that is, why should I.

animemadness
Rating
I work in a bar and all i heard last week was this argument! yes smokers think its their right to smoke and they don't see how it should also be someone elses right to sit in a bar and not have to inhale smoke

Sue
Hey, i smoke and i agree with you, I'm from Ireland and the smoking ban is the best thing that ever happened this country. I went to London awhie ago and didn't like smoking inside the pubs it just felt wrong. Six months time every smoker will like the ban

catherine
Rating
People who don't care about themselves can't possibly care about others. If dying isn't incentive enough to stop smoking, why would they care if they give others cancer?

Lorraine A
Rating
Roll on 1st July!! I cant wait to be able to go to the pub/restaurant without having to inhale peoples smoke. It is going to be the best thing this government has ever done! I used to hate it when on going out, a smoker would walk past you holding their cig outwards and brush it against your clothes. The amount of times I used to get burnt was unbelievable. These people have no consideration. Same goes when a group of you go out for a meal. Most of them dont think twice when lighting up whilst people are still eating. I think its discusting.

mike w
Rating
Anyone who is daft enough to smoke deserves everything they get. As has already been said, anyone who cannot respect their own body by not poisoning it will never even consider respecting others' health and comfort.

Snow Angel
lol... I have this all the time with my boyfriend... He seems to think that his rights are being taken away because he can't blow his smoke all over everyone else anymore...you would think the world was gonna end on July 1st the way he describes it! He also thinks that us non-smokers should find another pub. I asked him if he would ever visit this non-smoking pub with me and he basically said no, but I would have to go to his smoking pub... It is pure arrogance, ignorance and stubornness on his part ( btw I am not saying all smokers are like this) but he really thinks that, if he's ok with it, then everyone should be.

We have come to a compromise and he wont smoke in the house, which is really great, but he's very stubborn and the more you try to explain to him the more stubborn he gets. It's such a lack of respect...
Anyway the argument winds me up so much now, and gets me no-where, so I just bite my tongue about it all and look forward to July 1st when I can finally enjoy pubs again :o)

P.S. I'm trying to answer this without getting too wound up but just want to say to all those who tell me I should just accept smoke and get over myself, that this is very hard to do when you are suffering an asthma attack because those around you cannot be bothered to step outside to have a cigarrette. The government are not taking away people's rights, they are creating a compromise... meaning that smokers can now only smoke in well ventilated areas.. i.e. outside... I don't see why this is so bad..

kay_flood
Why is it that smokers don't consider everyone else? Perhaps because everyone else has no consideration for them. It is a two way street. If some one wishes to smoke, fully knowing the risks of such behavior and being of legal age, I have no problem with them doing so, I think tobacco companies should have to provide smoking kiosks in every city block for them, so they can indulge in their habit without polluting the air for the rest of us.

Zucchinisinratatouille
Mike L -

What about the children??? Your "right" to smoke in your home and car means that smokers' children have no right to clean air! You may not care about your own health, but surely you would prefer your children not to suffer from asthma, etc?

Also smokers never seem to consider the health of people serving food, drinks and so on in the places they like to smoke. Employers are legally required to provide a safe workplace, and they can be sued if a worker gets ill from working in a smokey place.

stanthemansmum
What do you mean it is only smokers who do not consider anyone else? Do drunks care about their beery fumes? The noise they make at 3 in the morning when making their way home? Do you care about your car exhaust and the polution it causes? Loud car sound systems which bombard my ears with crap music or the office worker who has overdone the cheap perfume?

You live in a society, in which every member does something that someone else does not like but which we put up with. If you want a sterile world, you will have to live in a bubble or the middle of a field. I agree with you when indoors but do not see the point in telling people they can't smoke outdoors. Do we ban everything which annoys someone else? If so, mine would be small kids - other people's kids, my idea of hell!

old know all
Smokers are the most considerate people on Earth. They are not content with killing themselves but want to share the experience with all of us.

tootsierose29
First of all, why are you being so quick to judge, when at one time you were a smoker just like so many others? You should be more worried about things like Global Warming! It's not gonna matter too much about the smoking ban, if we die because were gonna be cooked from the inside out. Instead of worring about the ban on July 1st, you should be more concerned about the hundreds or thousands of people that are gonna be killed that weekend! The fourth of July and New Years' kills so many innocent people and your worried about a smoking ban, I think you may want to rethink your priorities...

giants fan jessica
don't get your panties in a twist fourth of July is next week and then us smokers have our rights completely waived.

you said why should u have to go somewhere else to drink, why should we have to go somewhere else to smoke?

give me all the thumbs down you want don't care we need some rights too.

DixeVil
On the other hand, why do non-smokers go into places where they know people are smoking then make a big production out of fanning their hand in front of their face or scowling at people? Also, walking up and standing by smokers, acting like they are SO BOTHERED!! by the smoke when all they have to do is walk a few more steps away from it. There was an article in our paper about a woman who was at a school football game and reported a smoker was bothering her. Turned out she was standing clear across the field from the person.
Bottom line is, I think it's non-smokers high and mighty attitudes that are a good part of the problem
The other answer to that is Why should they? Works both ways. Ever stop to consider the fact that some people find perfume offensive? It can do bad things to people with sinus problems. Also deodorant (or the lack of it).
It's a big world--lots of people. Guess we all just have to learn to cope.
Personally, I think if non-smokers want fresh air, maybe they should go outside.

Cheeks
Rating
I'd just move away from them and stand somewhere else if it bothers you that much.

Timmy!
Rating
I hate smoking, and can't wait for the ban to come into effect so I can go to the pub without coming home smelling like an ashtray. However, the anti smoking lobby in many places (California is the one that really springs to mind) go way too far. We all know that smoking can kill you. The warnings on packs are clear enough. We all know that it's expensive, mainly due to the punitive tax levied on cigaretes and cigars. So if you are an adult and wish to smoke in the comfort of your own home or vehicle, or out in the open air, IT IS NO ONE ELSE'S DAMN BUSINESS. If every smoker gave up tomorrow, the same anti smoking lobbyists would be screaming blue murder that petrol/alcohol/road tax/airport tax etc had gone through the roof to compensate for the loss in revenue. In some countries it is legal for companies to insist that their employees not smoke at all, ANYWHERE,not even at home. This is clearly going way too far, and it's not what I want to see here. I've heard the old chestnut that smokers cost the NHS millions, but why stop with them? Excessive drinking also costs it millions but I don't hear any calls for an aolcohol ban. People who eat to much cost the NHS millions, but should we ban fattening food too? The government interferes far too much in our lives as it is, and I am sick of living in a nanny state, being lectured by patronizing "Do as I say not as I do" politicians.

It's called CHOICE, and while we still have it people should have the total freedom to smoke in places where their smoking doesn't affect anyone else.

JERRABand
Rating
I am 18-years-old and have been smoking since I was 14. Although I do enjoy the smell myself, I only smoke in my own house, car, or outside. I would never be rude enough to light up in someone else's home, but when someone comes over to my house, I don't care. People have actually asked me not to smoke in my own home. That gets me mad. It's my house and my habit, and I'll smoke if I want to. But when I'm not in my own property, I refrain from smoking inside. (Even though I do not believe that secondhand smoke is dangerous.)

lilli
Rating
The smoking ban is fine with me but I do believe that there should be places open to smokers because it's not fair to have every place closed off to smokers it is going to far. If you have most places closed to smokers and certain ones open then the non smokers can have a choice to go where the smokers are or go to the other place plain and simple! If your going to close every place off to smoking what is next drinking? Where I live they keep closing bars pretty soon your only going to be able to drink at home.

Tara
First of all, it is my right to choose is I smoke or not. It's not for you or someone else (ie: government regulations) to decide.

Second of all, most smokers respect non-smoker's space. However, if you choose to go into a place that you know a lot of people smoke, then you should accept that. If you don't like it, then go somewhere that is a non-smoking facility. Don't force the smokers into changing their life and choices to cater to you and your choices. There are plenty of places to accomodate both smokers or non-smokers.

Third, many people think it's great that the governments are banning smoking. Well, to me, this is just a foot in the door of furthering censorship of individual choices. Of course, I don't expect non-smokers to see it this way until a ban on something that's personal to them happens.

So, instead of complaining about something that you don't do and wanting everyone to do as you do, try a little acceptance. After all, every one has things that they do that bother and/or harm others.

sandra p
Rating
they shouldnt be like that to you .they are not being fair. if u are a smoker around non smokers my self i would go out side or a way from the non smoker .as i wouldnt like if someone smoke near me if i was a non smoker,

junglejungle
Rating
"I used to smoke so know what it's like to be addicted"

it's proven EX smokers are worse than none smokers at nagging.

people think its funny about the ban, well none smokers do...

due to all the people probably giving up they are gonna be more stealth taxes elsewhere.. so still laughing at smokers expense?

as for the ban, good in ways... but why ban it in work vechicles when your the only person in the vehicle.. THAT i find dumb, and the argument about second hand smoke in that case is rubbish if your the only person who ever drives the vehicle without passengers. or if you do have a passenger that smokes.

I do find it funny about the phone ban, yet i see loads of ppl driving around with their phones on their ear still.

as for the £80 for dropping a cigarette end.. is it the same for normal rubbish.. if not... WHY not.

i don't drink so much, so if the banned drinking.. can u imagine the uproar? lol

funkyflo
Rating
Why is it that non smokers don't consider smokers ?

sammie
Rating
I am a very considerate smoker ... i am annoyed at how we are dictated to by the very government that could not cope without the revenue they obtain from us purchasing cigarettes ...

However i do agree about smoking and children ........I have been smoking over 20 years and have no inclination in to giving up .

We can not be alienated because we smoke ... We can not be treated like second class members of society either.

I resent being told what to do as if i am a child who is incapable of making decisions ..

wayfaroutthere
Rating
Smoking has been banned from so many places, that if you can't find a smoke-free place to be, I think that you are seeking out smokers in the places they have been forced to go so that you can whine at them. And the answer to "why should I" is because you have plenty of places you could go to drink where there is no smoking allowed--if it is important to you, go somewhere else--if you don't care enough about your health to hang out in smoke-free environments, quit pretending that it is a bunch of smokers who force you to breathe their smoke. You had a point ten years ago, but you don't today. There are plenty of places for you to go if you really care about second-hand smoke.

tombollocks
Can't help but agree with you somewhat, but I'd rather discuss the exhaust coming out of SUVs and vans driven by mommies who really don't need them. Talk about poison!

simon3102000
you sound like my x any excuse to moan about anything and you will! we walked pass some punk who was smoking and my x was like thats disgusting it blew in my face so the geeza started on us so i had no choice but to deck him! people say their clothes smell of smoke when they go clubbing so if we didnt smoke youre clothes wouldnt smell and you wouldnt wash them anyways? bet you must stink!

gavmel259
Well why don't you ask the same question to every person that drinks alcohol.

Especially to the ones who think it alright to go driving a car after few drinks.

Your #1 fan
Rating
I use to smole as well. I think you are finding the smaller percentage of inconsiderate smokers. Most that I see go out of their way to make sure non smokers don't breathe it in. Businesses and government were pretty dumb with the "no indoor smoking" rules. Now, you have have many people standing by the entrances and exits of most buildings and you have to walk past it. When I smoked we had smokers lounges with those big smoke eater machines that are in bars. It's a shame that once society becomes fixated on something they end up doing it half assed.

selektap
Rating
y do i have to put up with the exhaust from yr car?

charliegirl
Rating
I'm a smoker and don't think I have the right to inflict my second hand smoke on others.
I smoke at home (I live alone) or outside.
Not all smokers are selfish.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.144
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy