Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

What is your smoking status?
Current, former, or never?

Did your parents smoke?...

Can having an Infected Sinus make you snore?

Why is the house making us sneeze?
I am visiting from out of town at my mom's house. I have been congested and with a constant nasal drip since spending the first night. After thinking about it, my grandmother who stops by ...

No insurance to see doctor, what do you think of this?
I have been sick since the day before Thanksgiving. I have a horrible cough and it is a dry hacking variety (ooh, gross, sorry!). My lungs seem to hurt, my nose was runny for the first three or ...

Does anyone have any information or experience of having blackouts during a coughing attack?
I'm very concerned about an uncle of mine (he is an ex-smoker and has been for about nearly a year) who has suspected bronchitis but it hasn't been confirmed and probably won't be ...

Why is my daughter killing herself slowly?
I am allergic to cats and particularly my daughter's exotic cat, Harvey. I get itchy and sneezing, runny sinuses and have harder time breathing in her trailer because of that cat as near as I ...

I am taking prednisone for a week due to asthma. What is one definite side effect when taking this drug ?

Can doctors tell you smoke?!?
I haven't even been smoking a year and I don't even go through a pack a week. I only have like 3-4 a day. Are they going to be able to tell cuz I don't want my mom and dad finding out I...

Asthma help?
okay my 15 yr old daughter has asthma, my question is is there anything that can help her when she has a sudden asthma attack. and she has no meds ...

Can a head cold lead to a sinus infection?

Anyone love beer?
I just started drinking beer at 50 and just LOVE the soothing way it goes down and the fact that it is a social drink and I can just sip on it and not get drunk. It fills me up enough but gets my ...

My cousin has abug that the doctors cant find he is really in a bad way?
HEwent to hospital with a high blood pressure then things went down hill from there he had a blood infection water infection some thing wrong with his kidneys and liver then they come to the ...

I am sick what will make me feel better?
i have a stopped up nose a cough and a sore throat my docter prescribed amoxicillin but i feel like i am gonna die what can i do to feel ...

Quitting smoking?
I have been trying to quit but my grandma is a 4 pack a day smoker so I can never get away from it. how can I quit?? thanx
Additional Details
I live with my grandma btw...I'm 13 ...

When people faint (and are unconscious) are they still breathing?

Doesoverweighit cause shortness of breath?

How do I get rid of my cold fast?
I just got a cold and I dont want it for Christmas. What can I do? No medicines, I can ONLY take tynenol. I just rested, had soup, Airborne (for school)....

Kid with asthma?
My son got dianogsed with asthma a year ago and now he is six. Well he is on 4 meds every day...Sungular, Clariatan, Nasonax and Pulmicort. He went to the doctor yesterday and had to get 2 breathing ...

Is hospital negligent?
A elderly female<hx of COPD> develops severe chest pain and sees her PMD> PMD immediately admits her to hospital and leaves on vacation<pt brought to second floor> placed on oxygen and ...

I may have sleep apnea I see my doc in 2 days-If I go on a cpap?
how soon do you get relief from day drowsiness?...

Ms. Denton Lone Star â„¢
Why is it that @ night when I'm sleeping, it feels like my heart stops beating & I lose my breath?
& then, I have to gasp for air. Yes, I admit. I am overweight.

pjstarz
Rating
Sleep apnea
The Greek word "apnea" literally means "without breath." People stop breathing druing sleep.

Barberry
Rating
It sounds like sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a serious condition. It can lead to congestive heart failure, especially in someone who is overweight and who is already stressing their heart because of their increased size.

The best thing you can do is try to lose some of your excess weight and see if it makes a difference. That loss of weight my cut down on the excess, lose tissue in the throat and neck that is obstructing your airway during sleep. If that isn't something you want to do, you should tell your doctor about your symptoms and get a sleep study done. You can then be ordered a CPAP mask to be worn at night, which will keep your airway open and prevent the stress on your heart and body.

This is nothing to ignore, unless you aren't particularly interested in having a long, healthy life.

Tammy m
Rating
Hi,you know I've been having a problem very similar to yours,I smoke,am overweight abt 30-40 lbs,I think.Also used rx pain meds,hrydrcodone,I have since quit the hydrocodone and haven't had the breathing problem at nite as much,I do get out of breath,just working around the house,I used to wake up at night and be out of breath ,like I just finished running around the block!!!! Oh and I did lose some weight abt.9lbs..I need to quit smoking asap...I know that would help,,so do you smoke ?,are You over weight? take any type of meds that cause breathing problems,?

Pegasus90
I am just being tested for sleep apnea. Those are some of the symptoms, that the video the sleep center people showed me, of sleep apnea. I personally think blood sugar imbalance plays a part, because high insulin (the cause of blood sugar imbalances) can cause obesity, and other chemical reactions that may lead to increased soft tissue in the sinus and throat area.

Anyway, ask your doctor about a sleep apnea study.

Shari
It's a form of sleep apneia. I get that too and am not overweight. They say you should see a doctor for it but I haven't.

curmudgeon
Rating
Sounds like sleep apnea. Check with your doctor.

barbara b
Rating
this has happened to me before i started losing weight not that i was that much overweight since i lost some it doesn't happened as much and it can be scary not being able to breathe also i noticed it only happened when i was sleeping on my back

Swamy
You are suffering from sleep apnea (apnoea if you want the correct spelling). Talk to your doctor for treatment since it can be dangerous. It affects your general and heart health over time.

buggeredmom
Rating
Being overweight can cause obstructive sleep apnea. The sensation of "heart stops beating...lose my breath" sounds like a seperate, but possibly related, problem. You may be feeling PVC's (premature ventricular contractions-abnormal heart beats). PVC's are normal on occasion even in a healthy person, though.

Waking up and finding yourself gasping for air is not normal. This is called PND (paroxysmal-noctural dyspnea). PND can be caused by apnea but it usually associated with heart problems. Apnea can damage the heart and lungs.

Please see your physician.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, November 26, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy