Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Can anyone help??
At school we're running a campaign against smoking. Can anyone suggest a name for our group?? ...

What would cause a small child to cough blood?
i'm writing a book and the main character is 8, and constantly has 'attacks' where she coughs blood nad has a pain in her side.
I don't know much about medical stuff, so i ...

Is it serious if you have shortness of breath with stomach acid/indigestion??

What is this lump in my right nostril?
Around two weeks ago I found a lump far up my right nostril. It is located in that area just as the wider part of the nostril tightens. The lump is not sore but hurts if I press it hard. I don't ...

Im not sick... right?
The last few days I've had a runny nose and have been sneezing not stop and I've woken up with a sore throte but the pain doesn't last long after i get up. except today its eighty ...

What does it mean when u cough up blood...?
i did it earlier and it was just 1 spontaneous cough. i feel fine other than that...

umm i dont know if this matters but i am...
a female
black
5'4 1/2
135-...

Been smoking for 36 years, tried Cold turkey,chant ix. Any answers for a longtime smoker?

Why is it that when I wake up I have a sore throat that dissapears after about an hour? Every morning?

Additional Details
Umm... Who said I wanted to loose weight at home? O_O...

I have quit smoking, how long will it take for my lungs to improve?
I smoked for about 6 years, averaging around 10-15 per day. Can anyone shed some light on the time line of my lungs improving? For the first few years I smoked 8mgs then changed to 4mgs.
A...

I breathed in chlorine tablet air help!! im 16
im 16 and we have a pool and our chlorine bucket is in our pool toy bucket and when i opened the lid to get a subskate fumes just shot up my nose and down my throat, it hurt really bad, and i have ...

Last night I had what I think was an asthma attack. Why did the doctor say it was not asthma?
I saw this doctor about 6 months ago with concerns that I may have asthma, but he used a peak flow meter and it was normal, and he said I did not have asthma. he did give me an albuterol inhaler. I ...

One little cigarette...?
This past year was, for me, a year of new experiences with entering college. My life has been a sheltered little hobbit hole...and most people can imagine just wanting to experiment. (what's ...

I quit smoking 2 weeks ago.......?
I've smoked for 5 years and two weeks ago I decided I have to quit. If I die on my family then there screwed, so basically I need to be healthy. How long will it take for my lungs to regenerate ...

Cipro has made me feel sicker!!! I was just diagnosed with a UTI and sinus infection and have been taking Cip
I have been taking the cipro (500 mg a day) for 3 1/2 days now and I have gotten sicker, now its all in my chest and stuff. Should I stop taking it??? Or take it for the full 7 days and see what ...

What happens during a asthma attack?

Coughing up blood?
Hi. I have a friend who has, on two occassions, coughed up blood. She is not bulemic or anorexic, and as far as she knows, is healthy. She has no other symptoms or pain, but this is the 2nd time that ...

I smoked weed and accidently swallowed/inhaled the ash...?
am i screwed? i have ocd and im just wondering. i think also swallowed the smoke too. please help....

How do i stop my husband from snoring?
help I havnt slept for months my husband snores and has tried to sleep on his side it doesnt work he tried sprays it doesnt work. help !!! I need new remedies....

Have you ever had a cough so bad that your stomach muscles were sore from coughing?
I do :-(
I wanna get better SOON
feel better than yesterday though
Additional Details
I quit smoking 3 days ago, and will NEVER do a puff again as loooooong as I LIVE!!!!!

Are you an organ donor?
if so-thank you so much. someone close to me who was going to die-got her transplant today!...

Sue W.
Why do young people start smoking when they know that smoking cigarettes kills?
I work in a Nursing Home and we have many residents who are suffering because of cigarettes. It is so sad! We had this sweet little lady, Stella, who was on oxygen, I had never know her to smoke but she buzzed for a CNA early yesterday morning, my day off, and she asked to be pushed into the smoking room and she asked for a cigatette. Stella was in a wheelchair.The other CNA went to ask a nurse if it were alright, she got permission to give Stella a cigarette after she washed her up. and when she got back to the room Stella was dead. I am sorry but I am crying as I am typing because I loved that sweet little lady. And a blanking cigarette was the last thing she thought of!

christondyer1
Rating
yep, she lies. Shes been smoking for a long time sue

Paul S
Rating
Its a form of pleasure for some people.
There are cardiologists and respiratory therapists that smoke also.

In that situation, I doubt she wanted to live anymore. She probably just wanted one last puff before she died.

bumblebee
Rating
Young people start smoking because it makes them look cool and grown-up and also because they are not supposed to.
Plus they think they are invincible and nothing is going to happen to them because they smoke.

Joshua H
Rating
Studies show that teens just aren't interested enough in what happens to 80 year olds to be dissuaded by tales of cancer risk. Teens see that their friends are smoking, and that none of them are dying of it. And they're curious. So they try it, and, more often than not, once they get the hang of it, they find nicotine extremely pleasurable. If they worry at all about the health risks, they figure they'll just stop before they get old. Then, when they try to stop, they discover that nicotine is the most addictive drug known . . .

gingerdrop2005
Here's something that will make people think about what smoking does. My sister made this comedy video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jc9KPStcbz0

Mable
I often wonder this as well. Young people today know better. The lady you just told us about may not have heard of the dangers until it was to late. I know it must have hurt to have lost someone your grew to love, I am sorry.It is so sad that a cigarette was the last thing she thought of. That tells us just how addictive cigarettes are. When my husband was in WWII he said that the government sent cigarettes to the troops. He had never even dreamed of smoking before then. He gave up smoking many years ago, about 1965 when people were first learning about the dangers. I never smoked a day in my life.

we_are_legion99
Hi Sue:
My sympathies are with you and I commend you for having such caring feelings for someone in your care.
Smoking is an addiction as we all know. What many don't realize that in some people it is a terribly "Strong" addiction.
Stella had given up....and the only thing left in her life that she truly enjoyed was feeding that addiction (which she couldn't do). She knew she would never get well so she gave herself one last little pleasure. Please don't feel bad for that.
Why do we start? One has to understand the mind of a youngster (not an easy thing to do). Peer pressure.....maybe....or the feeling of getting away with a taboo. Like most addictions....you may beat it but to some people, it never lets go of you.
I wish you well.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, June 27, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy